• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NOA reveals line-up for Nintendo DS/3DS [Dates, Trailers, Delays, Announcements]

Sandfox

Letting the fanboys get the better of them.

No seriously, with no direct pressure for their actions, they'll continue to pull this crap. The fact a mainline Pokemon is releasing 2 years into a next gen handheld's life and not on it is downright pathetic.

And I don't care how many DS owners there are, your fault for not making the upgrade like me.

If you want to get technical, Nintendo doesn't make the Pokemon games, and Gamefreak probably wanted to just reuse all of their old assets for Black 2 and White 2.

Any chance that nintendo will announce a game at the september event and release it 3 months later like they did with monster hunter?

NateDrake

Any chance that nintendo will announce a game at the september event and release it 3 months later like they did with monster hunter?

Good chance, actually. Nintendo seems to enjoy announcing games closer to their release rather than ahead of time. I wouldn't expect anything major, however.

AntMurda

Still, the large majority of Nintendo published titles aren't first party developed. :p

Development is a much broader concept than we shoehorn it to often. At the very least all first-party games are produced and planned by Nintendo. Well, with the exception of when they sign on as a "distributor or co-publisher" like for Ninja Gaiden or Lego City Stories. But often for their main games are all developed or co-developed. The fact that other developers are involved is only logical. Especially for a publisher who wants to release 10-20 games a year.

I think it is feasible to accept the majority of games, especially HD and beyond, will be multi-developer efforts. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3, Marvel vs Capcom 3, Super Street Fighter IV, etc etc.

So, I tried to research for this list. Let me know about any errors.

Fully developed by internal studios:
-Nintendogs+cats
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7
-Animal Crossing: Jump Out
-New Super Mario Bros. 2 (not regular team, developed by newbie team)
-Fire Emblem: Awakening
-Oni Training
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Developed/Co-developed by external studios:
-Star Fox 64 3D
-Ocarina of Time 3D
-Kid Icarus Uprising
-Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
-Freakyforms: Your Creations, Alive!
-LEGO City: Undercover
-Mario Tennis Open (Wiki mentions Camelot as a 2nd party)
-Pilotwings Resort
-Pokémon Rumble Blast
-Spirit Camera: Cursed Memoir
-Steel Diver
-Super Smash Bros. 3DS

-Nintendogs+cats
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7

-Star Fox 64 3D
-Ocarina of Time 3D
-Kid Icarus Uprising
-Pilotwings Resort
-Pokémon Rumble Blast
-Steel Diver
-Super Smash Bros. 3DS

You missed brain training

-Nintendogs+cats
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7

-Star Fox 64 3D
-Ocarina of Time 3D
-Kid Icarus Uprising
-Pilotwings Resort
-Pokémon Rumble Blast
-Steel Diver
-Super Smash Bros. 3DS

Oni Training by SDP
Friend Collection
Monolith Soft's project (if you're going to include Smash)

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Wow, that is quite a barren lineup for the rest of the year. Only Layton and Paper Mario are that interesting, and if I'm really stretching for interest, maybe Scribblenauts and Epic Mickey. It looks like my 3DS purchase is going to wait until next year if this is all they have to offer. The XL announcement got me pumped to get one, but I don't know after this.

I'm actually kind of shocked at how little decent software is coming out for 3DS this year after seeing it all in one big list. Once you remove all of the shallow children-focused games, I struggle to count on one hand with the games that are innovative, deep, or charming enough to appeal to me. As dire as people are about the lineup on Vita, at least there I can get counting onto a second hand without much effort.

I hope Nintendo makes good on releasing some more substantial titles in 2013

Wow, that is quite a barren lineup for the rest of the year. Only Layton and Paper Mario are that interesting, and if I'm really stretching for interest, maybe Scribblenauts and Epic Mickey. It looks like my 3DS purchase is going to wait until next year if this is all they have to offer. The XL announcement got me pumped to get one, but I don't know after this.

I'm actually kind of shocked at how little decent software is coming out for 3DS this year after seeing it all in one big list. Once you remove all of the shallow children-focused games, I struggle to count on one hand with the games that are innovative, deep, or charming enough to appeal to me. As dire as people are about the lineup on Vita, at least there I can get counting onto a second hand without much effort.

I hope Nintendo makes good on releasing some more substantial titles in 2013

Well, you already have Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Luigi's Mansion guaranteed more or less for next year as well as Castlevania.

Compare it to the Japanese line up for the rest of the year (1st party bold):

Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
Animal Crossing: Jump Out
Fantasy Life
Devil Summoner's: Soul Hackers (Remake)
Senran Kagura Burst
Inazuma Collection
Project X Zone
Lost Heroes
Art Academy 2
Medlot 7
AKB48+Me
Unchained Blades
Shin Megami Tensei 4 (maybe)

I assume Luigi's Manions: DM is delayed here too.

clemenx

Banned
There surely must be a game or 2 unannounced for December, right?

Anyways, I'd actually like this lineup. Other than Pokemon there's no must have for me. I bought my 3DS on January and I don't have a single game released from March to December 2011, I'd buy the games that interest me. Ghost Recon, Ocarina, Star Fox, probably Revelations which I didn't buy. There's not much either but it's something

Tuck

Luigi delayed... sigh. Paper Mario will have to suffice, but I don't understand why its so hard to release a game on time.

Verelios

I'm only getting two games from that list and I'm not buying a Wii-U. I guess Nintendo really isn't gunning for my money this year.

TDLink

-Nintendogs+cats
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7
-Oni Training

-Star Fox 64 3D
-Ocarina of Time 3D
-Kid Icarus Uprising
-Pilotwings Resort
-Pokémon Rumble Blast
-Steel Diver
-Super Smash Bros. 3DS

You missed Paper Mario Sticker Star which is internally developed by Intelligent Systems.

Also, Kid Icarus is Sora, which is technically a 2nd party, but Nintendo owns a majority stake. Point is Sakurai expressly coordinated this game's existence with Iwata, the president of Nintendo. I wouldn't call it "external".

Pretty sure Wiki is wrong and Camelot is first party also. They haven't made a single game for a non-Nintendo system in a long long time and Nintendo owns all the IPs they work on, including ones "they" created like Golden Sun. I don't see how they are second party.

Of course, Nintendo also footed the bill for most of these so it isn't like they didn't put any effort into the "external" games.

Boney

Banned
Where is Dragon Quest Monsters Terrys Wonderland?

dragon_warrior_monster_gbc.jpg

-Nintendogs+cats
-Super Mario 3D Land
-Mario Kart 7
-Oni Training
-Paper Mario: Sticker Star

-Star Fox 64 3D
-Ocarina of Time 3D
-Kid Icarus Uprising
-Pilotwings Resort
-Pokémon Rumble Blast
-Steel Diver
-Super Smash Bros. 3DS

Thanks for answering my question in such a comprehensive fashion!
So by the time Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem land (which will hopefully be Q1 2013) then the 3DS would've been on the market for two years and have only seven internally developed titles on release.
That seems staggering to me for a (relatively) recently launched handheld platform.
At this point in the DS' lifecycle a whole load of Nintendo titles had began rolling out.
There doesn't seem to be an overabundance of Wii U software either and production on internal DS titles stopped a long time ago so I just don't understand where their time is being spent...?

Dies Iræ;40992050 said:
Longer development cycles for 3DS (~GCN quality) and WiiU titles (720p).

Hmm very true, I hadn't actually considered that.
I mean even NSMB2 which seems to be somewhat of a rushed release still took around about 7 months (I believe the Iwata Asks mentions it beginning development around when 3D Land was releasing).

Does anybody happen to know when software development stopped for the original DS and moved over to the 3DS?

So by the time Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem land (which will hopefully be Q1 2013) then the 3DS would've been on the market for two years and have only seven internally developed titles on release.
That seems staggering to me for a (relatively) recently launched handheld platform.
At this point in the DS' lifecycle a whole load of Nintendo titles had began rolling out.
There doesn't seem to be an overabundance of Wii U software either and production on internal DS titles stopped a long time ago so I just don't understand where their time is being spent...?

1st Parties:
SDP1: Probably 3DS Rhythm Heaven (3DS)
SDP2: Just completed Oni Training, I believe (3DS)
EAD1: Mario Kart (Wii U)
EAD2: Animal Crossing (3DS), Nintendo Land (U)
EAD3: Zelda 3DS (most likely, 2013)
EAD4: Pikmin 3 (Wii U), NSMB U (Wii U)
EAD5: Wii Fit U (Wii U)
Tokyo EAD 1: Unknown (Mario?)
Tokyo EAD 2: Unknown (Mario?)
Retro: Wii U Game
Nd Cube: Just finished MP9
Brownie Brown: Fantasy Life w/Level 5 (3DS)
Monolith Team 1: Wii U Game
Monolith Team 2: Project X Zone (3DS)
Monolith Team 3: 3DS Game
IS Team 1: Paper Mario (3DS)
IS Team 2: Unknown. Just completed Fire Emblem: Awakening.
HAL: Kirby Game for 3DS/Wii U?

Next year may see Pokemon, Zelda, and Monolith's unknown 3DS game hit Japan.

TDLink

Like I said in my previous post, it isn't like you can really discount the "external" games as not being Nintendo games. Nintendo still put development funds into them to boost the system's sales and some of them are really essentially internal teams (like Kid Icarus').

If you really want to play the comparison game the DS wasn't that much better off in terms of first-party (which are typically not divided into internal/external anyways).

It had:
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • WarioWare: Touched!
  • Yoshi Touch & Go
  • Kirby: Canvas Curse
  • Meteos
  • Nintendogs
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Super Princess Peach
  • Metroid Prime Hunters
  • Tetris DS
  • Brain Age

That is what was out in essentially the same time frame as the 3DS. Some were "internal" some were "co-developed". They are all first-party though. There are actually fewer than on 3DS as well though the specific franchises represented could be claimed to have been better on DS. Personally to me it looks like things have actually mostly been the same franchise-wise except Fire Emblem instead of Advance Wars, different mario spin-offs, 2 (new) mario games instead of one (old) remade one (though we have remakes of other things). Metroid is the only thing lacking that doesn't really have a first party replacement...but we did get Kid Icarus which the DS has no real comparison for either.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Only Zero Escape for me on the horizon, Paper Mario a month after and hopefully some more RPGs hit like Bravery default

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So how about them 3D remakes huh Nintendo? Jeez, they only post lazy ports (also I thought WarioLand 2 was already out?) and even then they don't post enough... Every time I play excite bike I think of the possibilities. Give those damn projects to me and I'll do em myself for free, sheesh

randomkid

Like I said in my previous post, it isn't like you can really discount the "external" games as not being Nintendo games. Nintendo still put development funds into them to boost the system's sales and some of them are really essentially internal teams (like Kid Icarus').

If you really want to play the comparison game the DS wasn't that much better off in terms of first-party (which are typically not divided into internal/external anyways).

It had:
  • Super Mario 64 DS
  • WarioWare: Touched!
  • Yoshi Touch & Go
  • Kirby: Canvas Curse
  • Meteos
  • Nintendogs
  • Advance Wars: Dual Strike
  • Mario Kart DS
  • Animal Crossing: Wild World
  • Super Princess Peach
  • Metroid Prime Hunters
  • Tetris DS
  • Brain Age

That is what was out in essentially the same time frame as the 3DS. Some were "internal" some were "co-developed". They are all first-party though. There are actually fewer than on 3DS as well though the specific franchises represented could be claimed to have been better on DS. Personally to me it looks like things have actually mostly been the same franchise-wise except Fire Emblem instead of Advance Wars, different mario spin-offs, 2 (new) mario games instead of one (old) remade one (though we have remakes of other things). Metroid is the only thing lacking that doesn't really have a first party replacement...but we did get Kid Icarus which the DS has no real comparison for either.

Hmm, I'm looking at this list and I think you're missing a bunch of games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Nintendo#Nintendo_DS

First 2 years of DS vs. first 2 years of 3DS right? Seems pretty clearcut to me.

TDLink

Hmm, I'm looking at this list and I think you're missing a bunch of games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_products_published_by_Nintendo#Nintendo_DS

First 2 years of DS vs. first 2 years of 3DS right? Seems pretty clearcut to me.

I was using this list:

http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_games_by_year_%28US%29#2000.27s

It does seem like the wikipedia list has a few that the Nintendo wiki list is missing, on the flip side the wikipedia list has more for 3DS as well than what is listed in that post I was quoting from this topic.

That being said, we aren't 2 years into the 3DS yet. We are more around a year and a half. By time Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and Luigi's Mansion are (hopefully) out in the states we will be around 2 years but we also don't fully know what is going to show up before we hit that 2 year mark other than those 3 titles so it is hard to do a straight 2 years vs 2 years comparison. Judging it based on a year and a half vs. a year and a half the software output seems pretty similar, including Japan only titles.

Ehh no. I've played a shit ton of crappy delayed games.

Well, it was Miyamoto who said it. I think the point is a delayed game has more time to be fixed if something isn't working, so it's sometimes better to delay and try and fix the game rather than releasing a sub-standard product that will be like that forever.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pretty sure Wiki is wrong and Camelot is first party also. They haven't made a single game for a non-Nintendo system in a long long time and Nintendo owns all the IPs they work on, including ones "they" created like Golden Sun. I don't see how they are second party.

Camelot is not owned by Nintendo and so they are not first party. Moreover, they worked on two non-Nintendo games this generation (one of which released, one of which didn't).

Roto13

Well, it was Miyamoto who said it. I think the point is a delayed game has more time to be fixed if something isn't working, so it's sometimes better to delay and try and fix the game rather than releasing a sub-standard product that will be like that forever.

A quote from a pre-patching world. :p

Paranerd

Neo Member
Hm. I might get Unchained Blades, but I'm not sure what they'd charge for it. I'm losing space on my SD card, though!

TDLink

Camelot is not owned by Nintendo and so they are not first party. Moreover, they worked on two non-Nintendo games this generation (one of which released, one of which didn't).

What non-Nintendo games have they made since 1999 when they made Mario Golf?

Not saying you are wrong, I honestly just didn't think they had made any.

Additionally, even if they are second party I don't really think their output should be counted as "external" to Nintendo. Collabs like the OOT remake with Grezzo or letting Namco take on Star Fox or Sega take on F-Zero, for example, sure.

Where the fuck are my RPGs at? Besides PM SS, which is double bought.

All out in the US, confirmed to come to the US, or likely to come to the US based on their past entries coming...

Paper Mario: Sticker Star
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance
Heroes of Ruin
Tales of the Abyss 3D
Unchained Blades
Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor Overlocked
Etrian Odyssey 4
Shin Megami Tensei 4
Bravely Default

I may be missing some stuff.

Top Bottom