• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA's Wii release list: no sign of Xenoblade or The Last Story

Vamphuntr said:
I'm not sure about this to be honest. They will need to invest in marketing to make sure they make money out of it. Moreover, I doubt that printing copies, shipping them and paying the employee for these tasks is cheap enough to warrant the risk. NoA sucks for their localization choices but I'm sure there's more to it than laziness.

No, they are literally guaranteed to make money; Nintendo is one of the big boys in the retail world. They make their money as soon as the retailers buy in, and unlike some publishers, they don't issue credit if sales are poor, or help fund price drops. If they ship 50,000 copies to retail, BAM, 2 million bucks in the bank.

You know, I've been thinking since the press conference. For better or worse, I think the people in here lamenting the dream of XB/TLS localization are a minority that Nintendo has essentially shown they won't listen to anymore. It's a fairly recent change, and it kills me.

Let's break it down. Obviously Nintendo explicity went after the non/lapsed gamers with the Wii and won succesfully. They also managed to maintain a lot of their loyal following with their own core games like Galaxy/NSMB/DKCR/Zelda: TP and Metroid which I think those of us in here have played and enjoyed at least to some extent. Now Nintendo is aggressively trying to go after FPS/CoD/Battlefield/GTA crowd also with Wii U.

Clearly none of these categories are mutually exclusive and there are overlaps. The thing is, I and I'm sure many of you that wanted to play these games are not only RPG fans, but were intrigued by these because they were new experiences and IP's done by extremely talented teams. They were something NOT-Nintendo-ish and that in and of itself piqued my interest. However we are a niche group and honestly, even if we yelled and screamed, the sales of a localized XB and TLS are not gonna be Modern Warfare.

But this is a recent change. NOA hasn't always been like this. Hell look at the GC era. Nintendo released a lot of niche, almost experimental titles. They published Baten Kaitos 2 themselves. They published Cubivore, Eternal Darkness, Chibi-Robo, and hell, that pinball game Odama... in short they took chances. Compare those games to XB and TLS and with the exception of Eternal Darkness, those are probably much more polished, sleeker games.

I think this is what kills me most. NOA circa 2001-2005 wouldn't have done this. They wouldn't have NOT localized two strong RPG's, especially one so clearly marketed for Western tastes. They wouldn't have let a sequel to a critically acclaimed game like Hotel Dusk be ignored. They wouldn't have let Fatal Frame 4 an EXCLUSIVE NUMBERED ADDITION TO A PROVEN IP IN THE STATES go without localization (yes I am still bitter about this, and thinking about a potential Fatal Frame 5 Wii U game that I might never play is making me angry as I sit here.)

Sorry if this post sounds like a rant of a fanboy but having owned all 3 systems no company does passive aggression like Nintendo. I don't think I've ever seen a game on my PS2 or PS3in at TGS that I've said "that looks cool but kinda wacky... I"d like to try it" that hasn't been released over here in the U.S.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
So, did ANY of the press ask about this so far?

If not -- hey, GAF press folks, could you ask about this? So far no one has, strangely.

Vamphuntr

Kusagari said:
Oh come on. Nintendo doesn't need to do big print runs on these. If Atlus, XSeed and the smaller companies can make money on the niche games they bring over then NoA can on games that are already translated for them.

They do make money out of their games but I'm pretty sure they had "bombas" too. Where are the Growlanser PSPs for example? They gave up on that because it bombed hard. Square-Enix Final Mix and International version are also rarely localized even if 90% of the stuff is already localized. Maybe they experienced poor sales/got sales number from another Wii title and decided to call it quit?

I really doubt it's a free money button you can press. If it really prints money NoA would have brought it over. They are even bringing Itadaki Street Wii here. NoA is a big company and they must have analysts evaluating the costs and risks for them. If marketing, logistic, printing and shipping are really cheap processes then yes they are dumb and lazy but I doubt it's the.

apana

Even if they didn't want to release it themselves they could have let a third party try. There really is no excuse for Nintendo.

Kusagari

thecouncil said:
what do you think game journalists will achieve by pressing nintendo on the subject? will that make nintendo add some games that don't exist? I don't get it.

At least it would be bringing the issue to the forefront. It has nothing to do with Nintendo actually changing their mind. It's about forcibly asking a company why they're doing something like this instead of simply letting them sweep it under the rug.

Diffense

thecouncil said:
what do you think game journalists will achieve by pressing nintendo on the subject? will that make nintendo add some games that don't exist? I don't get it.

Why would game journalists ask questions such as why a game that has been on Nintendo's release list for years still doesn't have a date?
What they could achieve is get us some answers.
The game journalists job is to ask the questions not to run NOA to our satisfaction.

Vamphuntr said:
They certainly didn't grab the translations for Disaster Day of Crisis, The Last Window and Another Code R.
Disaster was localized under NOA, and they even had the voicework redone a 2nd time iirc.

Foffy

Banned
Alright..so, do we know if Europe is getting TLS or must we wait on a fan translation?

I'm pretty sure many RPG fans are pissed at Nintendo of America right now. And it has to do with more than this; there haven't been no announcements to localize the most recent Fire Emblem...

Yeah, the gaming press really needs to step it up here and at least ask. The have the most direct route to NoA, since Nintendo basically just tunes out any feedback from their customers.

Vamphuntr said:
They do make money out of their games but I'm pretty sure they had "bombas" too. Where are the Growlanser PSPs for example? They gave up on that because it bombed hard.
Growlanser V didn't bomb in the US. It actually turned a profit.

Tiktaalik

DavidDayton said:
So, did ANY of the press ask about this so far?

If not -- hey, GAF press folks, could you ask about this? So far no one has, strangely.

Not to my knowledge but Geoff Keighley came the closest. He asked Reggie where the Wii games were in general. Reggie replied that the Wii wasn't their focus this E3 and that they were focusing on 3DS and Wii U. Reggie said they didn't want to have a five hour press conference. Geoff asked if there was going to be Wii games released before now and Zelda and Reggie said yes absolutely.

One can't ignore the fact that Nintendo did announce some Wii games via their website videos, and those could simply be the games Reggie is talking about when he states that there will be more 1st party Wii games released before Zelda. The optimist in me must point out that all the games mentioned had videos made of them and so the games would have had to be at a sufficiently completed state. There's the possibility that the translation of these RPGs wasn't far along enough for a video to be possible.

Tiktaalik

SidVicious said:
Really wanted Zangeki no Reginleiv.

Yeah I really wanted this as well...

My theory for a while was that maybe Nintendo would release this after Zelda, as it's a motion plus game and a lot of gamers are going to pick up motion pluses for Zelda. Now however it seems like Zelda is taking forever to come out and it could very well be the last 1st party game for the system.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jeels said:
In all honesty I have not played Wii since Super Mario Galaxy 2. My mom however plays Wii Fit a couple times a month.
Sin and Punishment was super cheap a few days ago and you STILL didn't get it? You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

Tiktaalik said:
Yeah I really wanted this as well...

My theory for a while was that maybe Nintendo would release this after Zelda, as it's a motion plus game and a lot of gamers are going to pick up motion pluses for Zelda.

I doubt this, the game doesn't use motionplus in anyway similar to zelda and doesn't even require it.

NoA feels content to sweep the Wii under the rug outside of Zelda, and I wouldn't expect any surprises from them.

Tiktaalik

happyfunball said:
I doubt this, the game doesn't use motionplus in anyway similar to zelda and doesn't even require it.

NoA feels content to sweep the Wii under the rug outside of Zelda, and I wouldn't expect any surprises from them.

Oh I thought it required it. Oh ok yeah I certainly think it's unbelievably unlikely that they'd release it.

Stage On

Man it really makes me question if I should bother with the Wii U if Nintendo can't bother to bring over it's rpgs anymore.

Zelda alone just isn't enough anymore.

Jomjom

Banned
Oh well I guess I'll just import the EU versions. That one homebrew app on Wii can play EU games right, not just JP games?

EDIT: Just realized Nintendo is going to publish Fortune Street... FORTUNE STREET?!?!? But somehow they are going to ignore Last Story and Xenoblade. I hate Nintendo. Mistwalker should just develop for PS3/360.

Vamphuntr said:
Meanwhile they publish Megamix 100 in 1 and awkward Divinity II clones
I think they are trying to find their own Demon Souls now. They were so successful with the first one, but the series isn't theirs anymore, and now they are seeing if lightning can strike twice.

Meanwhile, they are dropping almost all the niche series that helped them build such a loyal fan base, even passing over some of their parent company's titles. I still think they do a great job with their releases, I just wish they were releasing the same type of games that they were two years ago. (Luminous Arc 3, SRW OG, Dept. Heaven, etc.)

I love their MegaTen titles, but I can't live on those alone. I need some Growlanser in my life. (Though, I'm happy they are bringing KoF XIII over.)

Vamphuntr

jling84 said:
Oh well I guess I'll just import the EU versions. That one homebrew app on Wii can play EU games right, not just JP games?

EDIT: Just realized Nintendo is going to publish Fortune Street... FORTUNE STREET?!?!? But somehow they are going to ignore Last Story and Xenoblade. I hate Nintendo. Mistwalker should just develop for PS3/360.

With Itadaki they are banking on the DQ and Mario characters. They can also market it to the Mario Party crowd.

Gunloc said:
I think they are trying to find their own Demon Souls now. They were so successful with the first one, but the series isn't theirs anymore, and now they are seeing if lightning can strike twice.

Meanwhile, they are dropping almost all the niche series that helped them build such a loyal fan base, even passing over some of their parent company's titles. I still think they do a great job with their releases, I just wish they were releasing the same type of games that they were two years ago. (Luminous Arc 3, SRW OG, Dept. Heaven, etc.)

I love their MegaTen titles, but I can't live on those alone. I need some Growlanser in my life. (Though, I'm happy they are bringing KoF XIII over.)

I have to agree with all of this. They really let down their fans when they skipped Luminous Arc 3. I'm extremly disappointed myself we didn't get more Growlanser games. I really don't think they will be able to get the Demon Souls magic again. What helped the game in the first place was the fact that it was an amazing game and already in English in Asian territories. A buzz was already generated in the first place from fans who imported the English Asian version / living in Asian territories. Simply publishing uninspired clones from random studios will not cut it.

IAmtheFMan said:
You know, I've been thinking since the press conference. For better or worse, I think the people in here lamenting the dream of XB/TLS localization are a minority that Nintendo has essentially shown they won't listen to anymore. It's a fairly recent change, and it kills me.

Let's break it down. Obviously Nintendo explicity went after the non/lapsed gamers with the Wii and won succesfully. They also managed to maintain a lot of their loyal following with their own core games like Galaxy/NSMB/DKCR/Zelda: TP and Metroid which I think those of us in here have played and enjoyed at least to some extent. Now Nintendo is aggressively trying to go after FPS/CoD/Battlefield/GTA crowd also with Wii U.

Clearly none of these categories are mutually exclusive and there are overlaps. The thing is, I and I'm sure many of you that wanted to play these games are not only RPG fans, but were intrigued by these because they were new experiences and IP's done by extremely talented teams. They were something NOT-Nintendo-ish and that in and of itself piqued my interest. However we are a niche group and honestly, even if we yelled and screamed, the sales of a localized XB and TLS are not gonna be Modern Warfare.

But this is a recent change. NOA hasn't always been like this. Hell look at the GC era. Nintendo released a lot of niche, almost experimental titles. They published Baten Kaitos 2 themselves. They published Cubivore, Eternal Darkness, Chibi-Robo, and hell, that pinball game Odama... in short they took chances. Compare those games to XB and TLS and with the exception of Eternal Darkness, those are probably much more polished, sleeker games.

I think this is what kills me most. NOA circa 2001-2005 wouldn't have done this. They wouldn't have NOT localized two strong RPG's, especially one so clearly marketed for Western tastes. They wouldn't have let a sequel to a critically acclaimed game like Hotel Dusk be ignored. They wouldn't have let Fatal Frame 4 an EXCLUSIVE NUMBERED ADDITION TO A PROVEN IP IN THE STATES go without localization (yes I am still bitter about this, and thinking about a potential Fatal Frame 5 Wii U game that I might never play is making me angry as I sit here.)

Sorry if this post sounds like a rant of a fanboy but having owned all 3 systems no company does passive aggression like Nintendo. I don't think I've ever seen a game on my PS2 or PS3in at TGS that I've said "that looks cool but kinda wacky... I"d like to try it" that hasn't been released over here in the U.S.

First, actually Nintendo did pass on Cubivore. Atlus published it in the US.

While this is somewhat true, don't get too carried away -- Nintendo has always skipped games for Western release. So, while we did get some experimental Wii games such as Chibi-Robo and Odama and Baten Kaitos Origins, all three of those were 2006 releases, when Nintendo decided the releasing niche games was better than releasing nothing at all. 2011 Nintendo does seem to take a different position on that.

Still though, 2001-2006 Nintendo passed on plenty of games as well. Not as many as 2007-2011 Nintendo, but a fair number regardless. Nintendo has done this with every console they have released, the NES and SNES have huge first party, Japan-only release lists for instance. The N64 doesn't have too many, 64DD aside, but that added nine JP-only games, and there were a few first party releases only released in Japan.

GBA - KuruKuru Kururin (got a European release, but not US), Kururin Paradise, Napoleon (released outside of Japan only in France), the first GBA Fire Emblem, Oriental Blue (Hudson RPG published by Nintendo), Mother 3, the original GBA versions of what became the ArtStyle line, all three GBA Starfy games, etc

GC - Kururin Squash, Nintendo Puzzle Collection, Doshin the Giant (JP/EU, but no US release; the 64DD original was JP only of course), Giftpia, Cubivore (released in the US by Atlus, not released in Europe)

N64 - Animal Crossing (counting this because it was a 2001 release; I won't list earlier N64 games they skipped; Sin & Punishment, from late 2000, is also a fair mention because a US release likely would have been in early '01)

And more I'm forgetting I'm sure.

daffy

Banned
bh7812 said:
I think I will be getting the game from Game too if NOA doesn't announce it shortly. I found the pre-order page for the game on their site today but it doesn't look like you can actually pre-order yet unless I'm missing something. I've bookmarked the page regardless so once you can order I can just do it quickly. I don't mind paying the little extra to get the game shipped from the UK.

The whole thing that boggles the mind is what so many others said..it's a full English translation with full voice overs at that and yet it's still only coming to Europe as of right now. If it were French, German, or Italian only I could maaaybe understand the decision but not with it being a full on English translation.
Yeah I see where some American gamers could be coming from at a most basic level, not being able to get up and go buy the game in a store, or even at standard price. Although I wasn't born in America and I am native French. It just seems like if you really want a game bad enough you'll pay a little extra.

Seems like a non issue to me personally but I suppose I see the reasoning. NoA has published tons of other jRPGs that I enjoyed so I have no reason to be mad over two titles, which I believe are both new IPs. The game being localized for the West at all is pretty big for me.

So day one has come and gone and no one has gotten a chance to ask/grill them on both of these + Fire Emblem DS2 + Reginleiv + The Last Window yet?

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Mockingbird said:
So day one has come and gone and no one has gotten a chance to ask/grill them on both of these + Fire Emblem DS2 + Reginleiv + The Last Window yet?
Reginleiv and Last Window were doomed ages ago, and though I hate to admit it, Fire Emblem's lack of an E3 presence might be sealing its fate too :/

And it sucks especially so since knowing NOA they probably arbitrarily decided to only release a set number of RPGs for the DS and shitcanned Fire Emblem in favor of Dragon Quest & Fossil Fighters. :/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
bryehn said:
Haven't seen the "full" 1st/3rd party list PDF yet, does anyone have it?

sure, hold on, but i'll warn you in advance; there's nothing.

Wii:
PTm2H.png

GLDBM.png

DS:
uhWiK.png

nMcPo.png

3DS:
r2pWr.png

hj4dy.png

EG7x5.png

I just noticed Natsume isn't on any of those lists, even though they have titles coming out for all of Nintendo's platforms this fall.

What kind of world do we live in where we don't get Xenoblade and Last Story, but they are still making fucking DDR games? And I liked DDR! Sheesh.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mockingbird said:
I just noticed Natsume isn't on any of those lists, even though they have titles coming out for all of Nintendo's platforms this fall.

Those lists are never exhaustive.

Stumpokapow said:
Those lists are never exhaustive.

Yes, but such a shame they get left out. all of their titles this year are for Nintendo systems too -- with only one PS3 title, Rune Factory: Oceans (which is coming out for Wii too).

Edit: This is not to fucking mention that Nintendo's DS and Wii release lists are already looking barren as hell. adding some titles to it can't hurt it.

Gunloc said:

I wish they would focus on finding a title that would duplicate Demon's Souls success, instead of picking up all these uninteresting looking facsimiles. And yeah, Atlus's output has really fallen off, I'm pretty sure the only games I'm going to end up buying from them this year are Radiant Historia, Catherine, and Persona 2.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Divinity II is not a Demon's Souls clone, the PC version came out in 2009 and then originally released for the 360 last year. Atlus just picked up the new edition that already released in Europe late last year on the 360.

Zalasta

Not sure why people are surprised. As far as I'm concerned, Nintendo's support for Wii has been the bare minimum for a while now, especially this late in the system's life cycle. For me, Wii is dead in the water and I doubt I will ever turn it on again. No way I'm buying the next console, I've learned my lesson.

cj_iwakura said:
Aksys or XSeed, sure. I don't think Atlus is the right company anymore.
This is on a releated note. Cubivore was mentioned before. Polarium Advance is another one Atlus USA published (NCL published in Japan and NOE in Europe) but I kind of get the same vibe that Atlus USA as well.

Medalion said:
I just got finished watching the entire Nintendo conference... how THE FUCK could anybody be dissapointed by that presentation?
As someone who does not own a 3DS I literilly could have switched off after 20 minutes (annoying as the logos at the end showed there was stuff to talk about but nah not as important as dramatic reading of last weeks Pokedex 3D press release). Thats what I'm dissapointed at.

Requeim said:
Which is hilarious given the whole Baten Kaitos Origins thing

edit: hilarious in the way that the roles are reversed for US and europe, not in the way that BKO apparently didn't do too well at retail
Thing is moment I saw the Baten Kaitos Origins US release date (back when it was August 2006) I thought "it won't make it to Europe in time. NOE will be done with Gamecube once Zelda is out." then when it got pushed back I was certain there was no way NOE would publish a Gamecube game in 2007, and they didn't. It baffled me why people kept the faith and complained, especilly after the Wario Where Twisted/Drill Dozer and Metroid Prime Pinball affair (the first kept appearing on lits only to vanish on release date, the second just vanished on release date and the third was literilly delayed for a year...doing the same thing of vanishing on release date
and you say NOA sucks...at least they don't attach real dates to games that won't come out
).

But other way round is different. NOA might not be done after Zelda (Rhythm Heaven, Mario Party 9 and maybe even wave 2 of Wii selects?) and given the translation work needed is find&replace followed by a proof read (in case it has cockney rhymes and other things that make no sense to anyone) its not like before Zelda is unrealistic. As for "they don't want to cram it in and canibalise the sales" didn't stop Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn coming out a week before Super Mario Galaxy in America.

Duderz said:
We have 8-4 members on the board - maybe they've been contacted to localize the game?
NOE are localising it. Besides that, 8-4 don't talk about projects they've worked on (well at least they don't name drop the project) until the publisher wants that info known or the game is out.

WillyFive

Negator said:
How can there be such a long list of nothing?

Nothing for him, and he can assume it would be nothing for most people here because all of us here have a relatively similar range of tastes.

I'm still riding on NoA waiting for NoE's translations and voice acting, and then just grabbing the English version and publishing it here.

Gunloc said:

Huh? Atlus has hardly given up on Dept. Heaven, Gungnir just came out in Japan last month. I don't think they are abandoning their fanbase, they just have their hands full with their parent's titles. As well as that, they are trying to expand and experiment a bit.

ivysaur12

Banned
Nintendo doesn't let 3rd parties release their games if they pass on them. Cubivore and Polarium Advance are odd exceptions. Neither of those games are as huge as Xenoblade or The Last Story. NOA must have a reason for this internal strategy, but I have no idea what the logic would be.

You guys can also blame NCL for not making Xenoblade and The Last Story necessary localizations in all territories.

creid

Tiktaalik said:
Not to my knowledge but Geoff Keighley came the closest. He asked Reggie where the Wii games were in general. ... Geoff asked if there was going to be Wii games released before now and Zelda and Reggie said yes absolutely.
Yeah, I noticed this and I'd like to believe it means there's more games, but I think it was probably a misstatement / PR bullshit.

Yuterald

I know it's a broken record here, but I can't believe there has been no word of these two titles & Pandora's Tower. I am still not over this. Yeah, Kirby and Skyward Wii look great and the 3DS first party stuff is going to be awesome, but there is no excuse why these games are getting ignored.

It's the ultimate love/hate relationship with Nintendo right now. I know fans of these games are in the minority, but you don't claim to have "something for everyone" and then completely ignore a segment of your consumer base. They are literally inviting people to piracy.

What's even more baffling is the fact the NOA is publishing side story Dragon Quest games (Joker Monster 2 or whatever the fuck it's called) and that board game Fortune Street shit. I DON'T GET IT. It's so frustrating!

daffy

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Yeah heh, I was freaking out a bit there for a second.

Top Bottom