• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA's Wii release list: no sign of Xenoblade or The Last Story

Vamphuntr

truly101 said:
Divinity II is not a Demon's Souls clone, the PC version came out in 2009 and then originally released for the 360 last year. Atlus just picked up the new edition that already released in Europe late last year on the 360.

Nobody ever said this. We were talking about how Atlus was publishing Divinity II clones like The Crused Crusade and Gunloc's theory was that they were trying to find another sleeper hit like Demon Souls.

thefro

ivysaur12 said:
Nintendo doesn't let 3rd parties release their games if they pass on them. Cubivore and Polarium Advance are odd exceptions. Neither of those games are as huge as Xenoblade or The Last Story. NOA must have a reason for this internal strategy, but I have no idea what the logic would be.

You guys can also blame NCL for not making Xenoblade and The Last Story necessary localizations in all territories.

The only way this is acceptable at all is if they're upgrading both games for the Wii U launch.

And Reggie responds... pretty much how you'd expect.

Stephen Totilo said:
American Wii owners who've looked lustfully at some acclaimed Japanese Wii games will have to lust some more. During a wide-ranging interview with Kotaku, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime said he had "nothing to announce" regarding whether role-playing games Xenoblade and The Last Story as well as action game Pandora's Tower would be coming to North America. They could, the could not. He had no news on that. Sorry, folks. We'll have much more from Fils-Aime in the coming days.

JoeFenix

I fucking hate Reggie, you can't even be sure that you're gonna get Nintendo games when you buy a Nintendo platform anymore....

They will never get the hardcore crowd because they treat us like complete shit, it's disgusting!

Korigama

Guess I'm stuck buying old games that already came out on the Wii last year or earlier (nothing new to consider picking up other than Skyward Sword, and even that's only a maybe for me)...really do have to wonder how they expect people to look forward to a new system when they won't even support the one that's here now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Can somebody, anybody, please go tell Reggie we said "fuck you?"

I know you gaming journalists in Los Angeles are reading this!

I'm serious. Somebody please explain to him to his face the ways in which NoA can go fuck themselves.

Foffy

Banned
MetatronM said:
Can somebody, anybody, please go tell Reggie we said "fuck you?"

I know you gaming journalists in Los Angeles are reading this!

I'm serious. Somebody please explain to him to his face the ways in which NoA can go fuck themselves.

What's a good way of doing that? Telling him "fuck you for not releasing ____" for every game Nintendo of Europe and Japan got, but we didn't?

That would be quite a lot of fuck yous. That would include Pikmin 2 (on Wii), Xenoblade, Jam With the Band, Disaster, Another Code R, and Last Window at the very least.

And I'm willing to bet you could add a mountain of others for all of the other Nintendo-owned games that Americans and European games haven't gotten on the DS alone.

Tron 2.0 said:
It's been pretty obvious for months that this was the case.

But hopers gonna hope.

It was? Because I could've sworn the game was surprise announced for Europe only a few months ago.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
For all the hate people are venting, the truth is that Reggie's answer is probably realistic. He's not going to say "no" because it's always possible they'll decide there's a good window for the games after all and make use of them.

The other games they haven't brought over notwithstanding, Xenoblade and Last Story aren't even officially out in Europe yet. Given the timing, and the way Nintendo operates, it's too early for them to announce the US release even if they actually have it planned.

The only thing in these two games' favor is that they have a larger, automatic, guaranteed niche audience in the US than the other titles NoA has not brought over. Look, I want these two games too; I'd buy them today, this very instant, if they were out in the US.

So far tho, it seems that if it is going to happen these are the kinds of games that:

A. Get announced over the summer for a quick, low key fall release to fill out the core game list.

B. Get saved for spring 2012 to have at least some content for the Wii from Nintendo themselves, before everything is Wii U, Wii U, Wii U.

Sooo, I'm looking up the GAF Wii Homebrew tutorial and was wondering about any good European import sites. I think the first order of business for me will be Disaster. I was looking forward to that game so much.

Sophia

Bel Marduk said:
Soma Bringer never got a EU release.

Wooosh! Right over your head.

Bel Marduk said:
Xenoblade is one rpg for two in EU. Disaster never got a relase in NA because he thought it wasn't that high quality...

Going back to seriousness for a moment. This does raise the question of why Nintendo made Disaster in the first place if they don't have confidence for the product to sell itself. Or, for that matter, why they even bought Monolith Soft.

Effect

dragonlife29 said:
Sooo, I'm looking up the GAF Wii Homebrew tutorial and was wondering about any good European import sites. I think the first order of business for me will be Disaster. I was looking forward to that game so much.
It seems like this would be the biggest hurdle. Amazon is out of the question but would like to find a store that is reputable.

MiniDitka

Kaijima said:
For all the hate people are venting, the truth is that Reggie's answer is probably realistic. He's not going to say "no" because it's always possible they'll decide there's a good window for the games after all and make use of them.
The windows been open since January ;)

FoneBone

Kaijima said:
The other games they haven't brought over notwithstanding, Xenoblade and Last Story aren't even officially out in Europe yet. Given the timing, and the way Nintendo operates, it's too early for them to announce the US release even if they actually have it planned.
The Last Story, maybe. Xenoblade... do you actually believe the shit you're typing?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Marrshu said:
So was another Monotlith Soft game. That sure came out in the US too.

Let us not forget this RPG they made for the DS. That even saw a European release.

Can you tell I don't have high expectations?

Yeah, and in turn it can be pointed out that no matter how much folks build up some of these games in their mind, those are not big games.

By the narrative folks have written that goes "Nintendo LITERALLY hates you and wants to hurt you", Golden Sun: Dark Dawn shouldn't have been released in the US either. It's an RPG isn't it? It's not one o' them casual Brain Age games, right?

The Last Story and Xenoblade are actually viewed as more significant properties by NCL, and now Nintendo Europe. It's inherently more likely NOA is on the same page regarding these games.

Nintendo and Reggie don't hate you. Unfortunately, they hold almost all information close to the vest until way past the time frame when anyone else would already be talking about it and hyping it. So they are frustrating to deal with, that's all too true.

sphinx

the piano man
Effect said:
It seems like this would be the biggest hurdle. Amazon is out of the question but would like to find a store that is reputable.

Use international Ebay sites, many will ship the game.

You can also try the european cheap ass gamer thread and look for sites that ship to America.

You can also go to the European Buy/Sell/trade 2011 thread here in the community part of Neogaf and ask someone to send it to you.

there are ways.

Sophia

Kaijima said:
Yeah, and in turn it can be pointed out that no matter how much folks build up some of these games in their mind, those are not big games.

By the narrative folks have written that goes "Nintendo LITERALLY hates you and wants to hurt you", Golden Sun: Dark Dawn shouldn't have been released in the US either. It's an RPG isn't it? It's not one o' them casual Brain Age games, right?

The Last Story and Xenoblade are actually viewed as more significant properties by NCL, and now Nintendo Europe. It's inherently more likely NOA is on the same page regarding these games.

Again, why even buy Monolith Soft in the first place they're not going to release them outside of Japan? That seems like major incompetence on their part. Disaster was even shown off at an E3 event in the past.

Kaijima said:
Nintendo and Reggie don't hate you. Unfortunately, they hold almost all information close to the vest until way past the time frame when anyone else would already be talking about it and hyping it. So they are frustrating to deal with, that's all too true.

Reggie's lack of a response is disturbing. One of your first party developers spent two years developing a game. A game which is held in extremely high-esteem both in Japan and here at NeoGAF. And his only response is a "Maybe? I dunno." to an actual release?

Shiggy

Kaijima said:

I don't think Xenoblade is coming to the US. That's why NoE is localising it themselves and that's also why they made that stealth announcement earlier this year.
With The Last Story I thought it would be announced at E3, but maybe NoA will pass on it once again.

Nowadays it's better to live in Europe, it seems.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There's something kind of funny about the fact that the best JRPG in years is one of the only ones not hitting NA.

Effect said:
How many times does game.co.uk have to be said in this thread for people to listen? Not that they have any copies of Disaster to sell anymore.

Though replying to dragonlife29. Apparently The Hut do ship to America (they don't list it in their list of no-ship countries) and they do have Disaster in stock. That said I'm sure Disaster was much cheaper a month or so ago...as in it was £12.95. Personally, I dislike The Hut as I keep hearing that their shipping is slow and their customer services can be useless at times. For a few extra £s I'd rather have peace of mind.

But given used copies of Disaster are cheap as chips here in the UK I'd also give sphinx's advice some thought.

Foffy

Banned
Shiggy said:
I don't think Xenoblade is coming to the US. That's why NoE is localising it themselves and that's also why they made that stealth announcement earlier this year.
With The Last Story I thought it would be announced at E3, but maybe NoA will pass on it once again.

They're also getting all of Nintendo's major titles before Americans now, too.

Sophia

thetrin said:
There's something kind of funny about the fact that the best JRPG in years is one of the only ones not hitting NA.

It's extremely frustrating. Watching what might be a team's magnum opus not even get released. It's not like it even takes a whole lot of effort on Nintendo of America's part, the localization appears to be on track to being finished. A little bit of hype, and it could easily be a system seller. Not like there's anything else significant coming for the Wii outside of Skyward Sword.

Foffy

Banned
Marrshu said:
It's extremely frustrating. Watching what might be a team's magnum opus not even get released. It's not like it even takes a whole lot of effort on Nintendo of America's part, the localization appears to be on track to being finished. A little bit of hype, and it could easily be a system seller. Not like there's anything else significant coming for the Wii outside of Skyward Sword.

There's litearlly just Kirby Wii and Skyward Sword for the rest of the year from them, unless you really want Mario Party and a Mario/Dragon Quest party game.

Seriously, let that sink in for a second. They're localizing an Itadaki Street game but not bringing over a game already localized in English for Europe.

Shiggy

It will be interesting to see whether Last Story will be Europe-only then or whether it will just be revealed in Europe first. Should be Nintendo's last big (and only) 2012 title for the platform.

hatchx

Banned
I'm very upset about this. Those two games look so incredibly awesome, I don't want to have to move to Europe to play them. Yeesh

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Starwolf_UK said:
How many times does game.co.uk have to be said in this thread for people to listen? Not that they have any copies of Disaster to sell anymore.

Though replying to dragonlife29. Apparently The Hut do ship to America (they don't list it in their list of no-ship countries) and they do have Disaster in stock. That said I'm sure Disaster was much cheaper a month or so ago...as in it was £12.95. Personally, I dislike The Hut as I keep hearing that their shipping is slow and their customer services can be useless at times. For a few extra £s I'd rather have peace of mind.

But given used copies of Disaster are cheap as chips here in the UK I'd also give sphinx's advice some thought.

Was Disaster actually good, though? As in, should I definitely be buying this while it's still relatively obtainable?

Sophia

hatchx said:
I'm very upset about this. Those two games look so incredibly awesome, I don't want to have to move to Europe to play them. Yeesh

Mod your Wii and import. Takes all of two minutes. At least we can be thankful for homebrew and Nintendo of Europe.

Chacranajxy said:
Was Disaster actually good, though? As in, should I definitely be buying this while it's still relatively obtainable?

It's a decent B-tier game. Check some videos on the beginning before you actually consider it.

Foffy said:
There's litearlly just Kirby Wii and Skyward Sword for the rest of the year from them, unless you really want Mario Party and a Mario/Dragon Quest party game.

Seriously, let that sink in for a second. They're localizing an Itadaki Street game but not bringing over a game already localized in English for Europe.

Just don't buy the new system. Simple as that.

There's nothing compelling about it (yay, old ps360 ports!) and you already know that NoA is as consumer-unfriendly as it gets.

Nintendo is a much better company to their customers when they are at the bottom.

Go_Ly_Dow

Someone with a gaming site should bring this up. It would be nice to get a real response from Nintendo. Instead of Reggie brushing it away in an Interview....

Shiggy said:

Not really. We still get plenty of late releases and games that don't get announced simultaneously.

Luckily, some of these games apply to PS3 or PSP, and since those are region free devices we just import them from VGP for the same price as they would cost here.

Foffy said:

Has NOA released one single Wii adventure game, mature title, RPG, or strategy game for the Wii, apart from Fire Emblem and Super Paper Mario?

I mean, on the Wii alone, NOA has passed on Disaster, Another Code R, Zangeki no Regenliev, Captain Rainbow, Fatal Frame 4, Xenoblade, Last Story, and surely Pandora's Tower I expect. No, I'm not surprised we're not getting either Xenoblade or Last Story. They don't release games in those genres anymore on the Wii.

Starwolf_UK said:

I will burn game.co.uk into my memory. Thanks. I also took sphinx's advice and looked up the mentioned threads. I may have to beg a GAFfer for help when I'm ready.

Sophia

NEO0MJ said:
What are the chances of another publisher bringing any of these games to the USA?

Pretty close to nil, probably. Given the hype for Xenoblade, I'd imagine Atlus would have picked it up already if they could have.

sphinx

the piano man
I have an American Wii and moved to Germany some time last year so I will be able to go into a store and purchase Xenoblade Chronicles (right?).

yet, I absolutely fucking hate to mess around with my systems and mod them, even if it is easy, there are all sorts of random bugs when playing games when you take that route that the sole idea of it pisses me off.

importers: prepare to pay good money for this game, console exclusives cost a minimum of €49.99 euros in stores and you have to add shipping to NA. Calculator says: €50 = $ 72.91 us dls.

Foffy

Banned
happyfunball said:
Just don't buy the new system. Simple as that.

There's nothing compelling about it (yay, old ps360 ports!) and you already know that NoA is as consumer-unfriendly as it gets.

Nintendo is a much better company to their customers when they are at the bottom.

I don't think anything I said was directed at Wii U. It's too early to be talking about what games the system has other than confirmed/almost-confirmed games for it (Pikmin 3, Smash, Zelda*, New Super Mario Bros*).

I'm more annoyed that considering core software is so anemic for Wii right now that it seemed like a no brainer to release at least Xenoblade to tap into that audience.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Here's my perception of console jRPGs over the last generation:

There was a western market waiting for them.. But companies like Square Enix and Nintendo have slowly killed the supply of A+ games available. Square has taken too long to make HD games and the releases have been of questionable quality.. And Nintendo has refused to localize the few gems under their wing.

So it's a niche, declining genre? It wasn't the market that decided that. The big developers haven't delivered significant releases for half a decade now. I blame them for killing the genre's mainstream appeal.

M_Night said:
Someone with a gaming site should bring this up. It would be nice to get a real response from Nintendo. Instead of Reggie brushing it away in an Interview....

Not really. We still get plenty of late releases and games that don't get announced simultaneously.

Luckily, some of these games apply to PS3, PSP, and since those are region free devices we just import them from VGP for the same price as they would cost here.
Pretty much. It's gotten better but it's not perfect.

At least, this debacle will serve a purpose: there will be less people here downplaying how important region freedom should be.

BocoDragon said:
There was a western market waiting for them.. But companies like Square Enix and Nintendo have slowly killed the supply of A+ games available. Square has taken too long to make HD games and the releases have been of questionable quality.. And Nintendo has refused to localize the few gems under their wing.
Only half true, they pretty much saved Dragon Quest VI, which counts as a gem in my book.

Sophia

sphinx said:
I have an American Wii and moved to Germany some time last year so I will be able to go into a store and purchase Xenoblade Chronicles (right?).

yet, I absolutely fucking hate to mess around with my systems and mod them, even if it is easy, there are all sorts of random bugs when playing games when you take that route that the sole idea of it pisses me off.

importers: prepare to pay good money for this game, console exclusives cost a minimum of €49.99 euros in stores and you have to add shipping to NA. Calculator says: €50 = $ 72.91 us dls.

If you have an American Wii, you'll need to mod it, either through Bannerbomb or an American copy of Brawl. Takes about three minutes, and is entirely software based. Once you've done that, you can take any copy of Xenoblade and play it risk free.

Danny Dudekisser

In a way, I wouldn't mind this being import only, now that I think about it. I mean... it's kinda sweet to import a game and then be like the only dude on your block with this crazy game people don't even know about. It's the pretension, man.

... I'm trying to believe.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chacranajxy said:
In a way, I wouldn't mind this being import only, now that I think about it. I mean... it's kinda sweet to import a game and then be like the only dude on your block with this crazy game people don't even know about. It's the pretension, man.

... I'm trying to believe.
Maybe in the case of Xenoblade Chronicles.

But if Last Story remains in Japan, better start memorizing your Japanese kanji...

Danny Dudekisser

BocoDragon said:
Here's my perception of console jRPGs over the last generation:

So it's a niche, declining genre? It wasn't the market that decided that. The big developers haven't delivered significant releases for half a decade now. I blame them for killing the genre's mainstream appeal.

I agree with this. HD JRPGs have been fucking awful for the most part. Yeah, there's a few exceptions, but look at the percentage of pure garbage compared to previous gens. It's tragic. It's to the point where RPGs went from my favorite genre to something I immediately associate with "weeaboo shit."

Yeah, handhelds and all that... but on consoles, the genre's reputation has been anally ravaged.

Danny Dudekisser

BocoDragon said:
Maybe in the case of Xenoblade Chronicles.

But if Last Story remains in Japan, better start memorizing your Japanese kanji...

dawg, I know all about dat Katakana and Hiragana. How hard can a few Kanj... fuck.

:(

Top Bottom