• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NoA's Wii release list: no sign of Xenoblade or The Last Story

Go_Ly_Dow

Palette Swap said:
Pretty much. It's gotten better but it's not perfect.

At least, this debacle will serve a purpose: there will be less people here downplaying how important region freedom should be.

I won't be even considering the NGP until it's 100% confirmed to be region free.

Also the main reason why I haven't purchased a 3DS yet. Waiting for at least the next model, and if that's not region free either then I'm waiting until there's plenty of localized exclusive games for it.

Will follow the same pattern with the Wii U.

Foffy

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Maybe in the case of Xenoblade Chronicles.

But if Last Story remains in Japan, better start memorizing your Japanese kanji...

I hope the fantastic DS hacking community moves onto Wii to support great Japan-only games.

Fans of RPGs should already have a flashcard on DS for the massive number of the great games localized by fans, and I hope that in a few years this applies to the Wii outside of Fatal Frame IV.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Foffy said:
I hope the fantastic DS hacking community moves onto Wii to support great Japan-only games.

Fans of RPGs should already have a flashcard on DS for the massive number of the great games localized by fans, and I hope that in a few years this applies to the Wii outside of Fatal Frame IV.
That will happen for sure.

One way or another, we will play Last Story in English... It's just that Nintendo might not see a cent from it. By that time it will be just used imports being patched.. Or straight up piracy.

I already have my doubts that everyone interested in Xenoblade will actually pay for a real import from PAL.. Its gonna get torrented. Once all your potential players have to hack the WIi to play, well.. That's what happens....

randomkid

Marrshu said:
If you have an American Wii, you'll need to mod it, either through Bannerbomb or an American copy of Brawl. Takes about three minutes, and is entirely software based. Once you've done that, you can take any copy of Xenoblade and play it risk free.

Once you mod your Wii, do you need to avoid all future system updates? And can you never use Virtual Console again?

Or is there an easy way to unmod your Wii temporarily for these purposes?

Glix

randomkid said:
Once you mod your Wii, do you need to avoid all future system updates? And can you never use Virtual Console again?

You will have to wait for the hacked version of the new update but yeah, hacking Wii is the easiest thing ever. There is an amazing thread for it that you should move over to, they will be happy to help and answer your questions.

VC will be fine.

You can unmod it whenever you want.

Sophia

BocoDragon said:
I already have my doubts that everyone interested in Xenoblade will actually pay for a real import from PAL.. Its gonna get torrented. Once all your potential players have to hack the WIi to play, well.. That's what happens....

Don't remind me about how disappointing this reality is.

randomkid said:

You can use the Virtual Console and shop just fine. I was playing FAST Racing and Rondo of Blood just a day ago. Just don't download the latest updates until the Homebrew Channel has been updated accordingly.

BocoDragon

randomkid said:

The Wii is lax security. It's not like PS3.

Mod it, and you can still buy off the store and use as normal. I've had mine hacked for years. I still buy off the shop all the time.

Snaku

Banned
Father_Brain said:

The only thing that will force me to buy a WiiU at this point would be if BG&E2 were released on it exclusively. The horseshit support from NoA over the last decade has sucked any lingering nostalgic love I had left for the Big N, and I honestly think the 3DS will be the last system I buy from them.

NEO0MJ

Marrshu said:
Pretty close to nil, probably. Given the hype for Xenoblade, I'd imagine Atlus would have picked it up already if they could have.

I had a hunch about that. Sigh.

Shiggy said:
Nintendo does not allow other publishers to release such major titles.

Why not if they have no plans to release the game themselves?
Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to mod my wii later.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Shiggy said:
It will be interesting to see whether Last Story will be Europe-only then or whether it will just be revealed in Europe first. Should be Nintendo's last big (and only) 2012 title for the platform.
So Xenoblade will never come out in NA but TLS is still pretty likely? :\

Sophia

NEO0MJ said:
Oh well, guess I'm gonna have to mod my wii later.

They probably want to leave all options open. If, as a hypothetical example, say Atlus licensed Xenoblade and released it in English. And it's a roaring success like Demon's Souls was. What then?

Shiggy

NEO0MJ said:

If it became a success, they would look stupid.

jj984jj said:
So I'd say, otherwise they would not do a complete localisation on their own.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
There has to be some unknown reason as to why NOA aren't bringing these games here.

And by unknown reason, i don't mean "I fucking hate JPRGS" -Reggie

Let me in

Bisnic said:
There has to be some unknown reason as to why NOA aren't bringing these games here.

Sure, they don't believe they're profitable. And by some measure they might be right, but at least outsource it to a competent publisher who will do the game justice. Atlus or somebody.

All signs point to "no" on a localization given the amount of games they've passed on over the lifetime of the Wii and DS. I'll import and play on my modded Wii. And that part is so easy to do there's no excuse not to if you really want these games.

Sophia

Bisnic said:

Someone doesn't think they're profitable. Why they would believe that after the success of Demon's Souls and the insane hype Xenoblade got earlier is beyond me.

Let me in

Marrshu said:
Someone doesn't think they're profitable. Why they would believe that after the success of Demon's Souls and the insane hype Xenoblade got earlier is beyond me.
They're watching Japan's sales figures and determining from there. If Xenoblade and TLS sold 150k in that country, how much do they think they're going to do here? They only seem interested in 500k+ sellers.

Ignorant strategy, IMO. But I guess that's why I'm not in charge of the company.

ivysaur12

Banned
Of course, no major game website is reporting on these omissions either.

Oh well.

Let me in said:
They're watching Japan's sales figures and determining from there. If Xenoblade and TLS sold 150k in that country, how much do they think they're going to do here? They only seem interested in 500k+ sellers.

Ignorant strategy, IMO. But I guess that's why I'm not in charge of the company.

True, but it could also be a show of good will to niche gamers.

For reference, they wanted S+P2 to sell 50k. It didn't. I'd expect they'd have higher expectations for Xenoblade and TLS if they were brought here.

Sophia

Let me in said:

Using Japan as a basis for sales is pretty ignorant. The country doesn't even know what it wants half the time from their games.

I won't even get started on Nintendo's marketing strats for Soma Bringer and Xenoblade, but waiting til the last moment to market Soma Bringer was a terrible idea. Some English speakers didn't even know what genre it was.

ivysaur12 said:
True, but it could also be a show of good will to niche gamers.

For reference, they wanted S+P2 to sell 50k. It didn't. I'd expect they'd have higher expectations for Xenoblade and TLS if they were brought here.

I think the only way I'm ever going to play Sin and Punishment 2 is to buy it off Amazon now. I waited for my local rental places to get it in.... and they never did.

Tron 2.0

Bel Marduk said:
It was? Because I could've sworn the game was surprise announced for Europe only a few months ago.
Late replying to this and it's already been answered pretty well.

But basically, if someone's been paying attention even a little to how NoA has been operating they wouldn't be surprised at all that the games aren't coming to North America.

jj984jj said:
nckillthegrimace said:
I wouldn't say pretty likely. More likely, though.
Why do you guys do this to yourselves...

bh7812

Banned
I thought I'd pass along the link to the game.co.uk page that has the listing for Xenoblade..I was looking through the pre-order pages to see if you can pre-order it but doesn't look like you can do that yet so this is the best I can offer:

http://http://www.game.co.uk/Games/Wii/Role-Playing/Xenoblade-Chronicles-/~r355233/?s=xenoblade

I have the page book marked on all of my computers so once the game becomes order-able I can do that quickly. I have a feeling between European and American orders this game will sell out quickly so best to get the page bookmarking done now. I'm thinking posting the link would be helpful so others who are wanting to order the game can book mark the page too.

Looks like I need to mod my Wii again (as others have said, it's rediculously easy). Xenoblade looks very nice and it'd be great to dig into other titles I've missed out on thanks to Phoney Mr. "Not kicking much ass and taking any names these past several years" Reggie Fils-Aime. Kudos to this thread for bringing these various titles more clearly to my attention. :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
nckillthegrimace said:
I wouldn't say pretty likely. More likely, though.
Doesn't The Last Story have a TON of spoken dialogue?

If Xenoblade, a game already being localized for Europe, isn't coming, The Last Story has no chance in hell.

Hmm...someone on GameFAQs emailed Nintendo on Xenoblade and this is the response they got.

Greetings,

Thanks for contacting us. To address your concerns, first let me state that Nintendo does not provide automated responses to consumers who email us with questions. Keep in mind that when multiple consumers send us the same or similar question, they will all receive the same answer. We only provide official answers based on the information we currently have available.

As of right now, Monado: Beginning of the World is still scheduled to be released for the North American region.

Sincerely,

Dale Thompson
Nintendo of America Inc.

That's one of the most optimistic answers we've got. I just hope NoA are only just waiting for the EU localization to be done to announce the game's coming.

Nintendo may have had it on a schedule at some point, but if its answer about the game being on a release schedule refers to a title not being used in Europe where it's definitely being released, I don't think you can treat that answer as being any kind of confirmation.

At best it's confirmation that it used to be on a release schedule.

I'm almost sure at this point that NOA will still neither confirm nor deny that Xenoblade or the Last Story are going to be localized for NA when the wii U is launched.

Duderz

Banned
Bel Marduk said:
Hmm...someone on GameFAQs emailed Nintendo on Xenoblade and this is the response they got.

That's one of the most optimistic answers we've got. I just hope NoA are only just waiting for the EU localization to be done to announce the game's coming.

Jeez, hope springs eternal.

NA is not getting Xenoblade.

Goody

I'm trying not to get my hopes up at all, but I could imagine these games (or one of the other) being released in the interim between Skyward Sword and the Wii U. There are going to be some pretty sparse stretches of time before the Wii U comes out.

BocoDragon

Duderz said:
Jeez, hope springs eternal.

NA is not getting Xenoblade.
Of course not. NA is getting Monado. Reggie is dedicated to the original title!

Vamphuntr

Bel Marduk said:

This isn't worth much. Those reps don't have access to any kind of ground breaking information. They won't be the first to know about it either. It would have been announced at E3 if it was coming.

I also want to keep hopes up. I get vibe of a stealth release also, once NoE finishes translating, it'll be easy for NoA to just wrap it up for NA audiences.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Bel Marduk said:

That's because Monado is still listed in their databases from its announcement E3. The people who answer these things don't actually know anything outside of what the database tells them (or at least they won't give an answer that isn't officialized by it).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
grandjedi6 said:
That's because Monado is still listed in their databases from its announcement E3. The people who answer these things don't actually know anything outside of what the database tells them (or at least they won't give an answer that isn't officialized by it).

Quiet you.

Alex

MAIL 'EM ABOUT GIFTPIA NEXT

It ain't comin', just mod the ol Wii and have some fun with the conveniences it provides.

creid

grandjedi6 said:
This. I think every time someone asks them about the game, they go and look in the master game list, see Monado is listed as "announced", and write the same response back. I guess the fact that they know that Monado = Xenoblade is good, but I don't think they're giving us any information that we couldn't find by searching here.

jeremy1456

Alex said:
MAIL 'EM ABOUT GIFTPIA NEXT

It ain't comin', just mod the ol Wii and have some fun with the conveniences it provides.

I would rather have GiFTPIA more than both The Last Story and Xenoblade combined.

They even showed it at E3! What the heck happened there?!

My last ditch rationalization is that they are saving these games to fill out their Wii Q1 Q2 2012 calendar year until Wii U. They have to be. These games arent cheap. One is already in english. It has to be this. Its has to. Be......please

jeremy1456

Gamer @ Heart said:
My last ditch rationalization is that they are saving these games to fill out their Wii Q1 Q2 2012 calendar year until Wii U. They have to be. These games arent cheap. One is already in english. It has to be this. Its has to. Be......please

I've pretty much given up on ever getting an NA release for these games.

If it's any consolation, Nintendo didn't announce either Dragon Quest IX or Dragon Quest VI localizations at E3, or any show, really. Perhaps they will one day just send out a press release, but I doubt it.

creid

jeremy1456 said:
I've pretty much given up on ever getting an NA release for these games.

If it's any consolation, Nintendo didn't announce either Dragon Quest IX or Dragon Quest VI localizations at E3, or any show, really. Perhaps they will one day just send out a press release, but I doubt it.
Yeah, in my desperate optimism I looked up DQVI - it was announced December 20, released in Feb. So if something's coming next year, it's not necessarily announced quite yet.

Top Bottom