• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura Interview on FINAL FANTASY Versus XIII [Development Clarification]

StuBurns said:
KH2 needed work, but I think the foundations were better than KH1, it just need to be rebalanced, maybe it was because there was lots of feedback that KH1 was too hard from the press. It would have been the better game I'm pretty sure, and BbS was the best of the three for me.

Versus isn't exactly Kingdom Hearts Noir or whatever, but it's certainly cut from that same cloth, given the time and focus to iterate on the design, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's mechanically the best game SE have ever made. I already think it is artistically.

I could be expecting too much of the game though, with so much time the expectations can't help be increase.

I don't want to turn this in another "Why KH2 is bad that should be erased from SE portfolio" post since I already did a few times, so let's say I disagree.

And I certainly think you're expecting a lot, since basically we don't know much about the overall mechanics. (and surpassing Vagrant Story is no easy feat)

In an interview printed in this week's Famitsu magazine, director Tetsuya Nomura stated that the PlayStation 3 RPG is still far from vaporware. "It's still under full development, of course," he said, "I'd like a chance to show everyone that development is coming along, but we have games like FF Type-0 and FFXIII-2 that will be released first, and the company's also telling me to keep project details secret for now. As a result, I apologize, but there won't be any new screenshots or other media released to the public for a little while."

What inspired this switch away from the non-interactive cutscenes that are part and parcel of JRPGs? Perhaps the fact that not even Nomura has the patience to sit through many of them. "I suppose it's a matter of opinion, but I wind up skipping most cutscenes I run into because I want to get back into the game," he told Famitsu. "I don't think I'm the only gamer like that, and so I wanted storytelling that takes pains not to stop the gameplay. That way, gamers like that can still get into the event scenes in natural fashion. It's also a development time-saver. In the past, we'd make separate high-poly models for the cutscenes, but technology is now to the point where the only difference between the 'high-poly' and 'low-poly' models in FF Versus XIII is in the hair."

http://www.1up.com/news/final-fantasy-xiii-chugging

Ahoi-Brause said:
The story and scenario was half-finished when they kicked out matsuno.
I really would've liked to see that game in his original vision.
Now why they let that clown nomura fumble as long on his game I can't tell.

And yeah, the gameplay was a perfect blend between jrpg and modern gamedesign. They threw all the clutter over board and kept it fresh and japanese too.
It felt like this was the first jrpg to really take the step from NES gamedesign to a new level.
From a gameplay perspective, Versus XIII looks to be like FFXII (seamless battle transitions, not turn based, realistic pace) with the KH battle system in a big, expansive world. In that last trailer a lot of the battle scenes looked right out of FFXII with all those armored soldiers.

Petrichor

RevySubterfuge said:
YES to Kingdom Hearts 3. Just curious, what is unappealing to you about Versus? What would YOU like to see in FFXV? I'd always complain that these games are a bunch of running through corridors with tons of battles and a cutscene here and there. What sells Final Fantasy to me is a story, so I don't even care much about innovative gameplay tactics these days. Although, I do like to explore new battle systems (sometimes).

I just think the idea of a final fantasy game set in a realistic setting, whilst initially interesting, will get really boring really quickly. One of the major parts of final fantasy games, for me is the extravagant and fantastical locations. In a completely realistic world, when are we going to have moments like exploring the northern crater for the first time in FF7, or the ice temple / macalania forest in FFX? Cities and plain forests are going to be super-boring. The cast looks dull as dishwater as well, Noctis has a competent but cliched design and the less said about his companions the better. I just dont think anything we've seen so far is worthy of the excitement that this game is generating. We don't really know anything about the battle system yet but what we've managed to infer from the footage doesn't seem particularly exciting... seems like a mix between kingdom hearts and shadow the hedgehog. I can't help but feel that most would share my views if the title wasn't still a PS3 exclusive.

In final fantasy XV I want to see a return to the high-fantasy aesthetic of FF9 and FF12, with a battle system that combines the best bits of FF12 and FF13 (so basically, the FF12 battle system but a little more cinematic and with more strategy involved). So basically FF12 (+an interesting plot) with aspects of the FF13 battle system thrown in. Also ideally I'd like it to be on next generation hardware ;)

exhume

Petrichor said:
I just think the idea of a final fantasy game set in a realistic setting, whilst initially interesting, will get really boring really quickly. One of the major parts of final fantasy games, for me is the extravagant and fantastical locations. In a completely realistic world, when are we going to have moments like exploring the northern crater for the first time in FF7, or the ice temple / macalania forest in FFX? Cities and plain forests are going to be super-boring.
I have my suspicions that this is exactly why it's still called "FF Versus" and not "FFXV"; the team wanted to try out a modern setting with cars and skyscrapers and tuxedos and whatnot without alienating the fanbase too much by making it a 'must purchase' mainline title. Also, we haven't seen all of the environments yet; I too am hoping things will take a turn for the weird/sci-fi as the story progresses.

exhume said:
I have my suspicions that this is exactly why it's still called "FF Versus" and not "FFXV"; the team wanted to try out a modern setting with cars and skyscrapers and tuxedos and whatnot without alienating the fanbase too much by making it a 'must purchase' mainline title. Also, we haven't seen all of the environments yet; I too am hoping things will take a turn for the weird/sci-fi as the story progresses.
There's no rule that an FF game has to be either old world fantasy or futuristic like FFXIII or FFX. FFVII and VIII were both fairly modern and extremely popular. Versus is more obviously styled after the real world and I think it's refreshing. Personally I don't like how there are even monsters in this game. Doesn't really fit in.

Don't see why they can't call it FFXV. If FFXII got a number, so can this.

exhume

H_Prestige said:
There's no rule that an FF game has to be either old world fantasy or futuristic like FFXIII or FFX. FFVII and VIII were both fairly modern and extremely popular. Versus is more obviously styled after the real world and I think it's refreshing. Personally I don't like how there are even monsters in this game. Doesn't really fit in.

There's no rule, but there is sort of an expectation. Otherwise they might as well change the name to Final Reality, lol.
I think it's a refreshing change as well (though I still think it's going to veer in the sci-fi direction; at least, the tech and whatnot is more sophisticated that the real world) but I guess what I meant by my last post is that I really doubt the FF franchise will ever become completely modern-based, it'll always favour the exotic as that's what it's become known for.

Nix

Banned
H_Prestige said:

They declared it as part of the ambitious Fabula series, so they can't exactly turn tail and go back now. If they didn't, I think it could have warranted a numbered title, but they did, so I think they're more concerned with keeping up the appearance of trust and stability.

Beth Cyra

Nix said:
They declared it as part of the ambitious Fabula series, so they can't exactly turn tail and go back now. If they didn't, I think it could have warranted a numbered title, but they did, so I think they're more concerned with keeping up the appearance of trust and stability.
They clearly don't mind given Agito XIII has already been changed to FF Type-0 and is now poised to create a brand new branch of FF.

daffy

Banned
madmaxx350 said:
if it didn't how else would they make KH3?! I find it funny that you have to buy like 4 different console to play the entire KH series lol
Heheh yeah, pretty much. Chain of Memories was a perfect balance.

Nix said:
FNC never meant anything. SE was trying to turn FFXIII into another mega franchise like FFVII but that's not going to happen. If FNC and the XIII title were so important, Agito XIII would have kept the same name.

hteng

Banned
Kagari said:
Okay, let's clarify things here.

I've looked at the actual wording for what Nomura says and the sentence in question literally means "preparing to enter mass/full production." What this means is that the game is getting ready to go into beta, or the final phase of development. Speaking with some people who actually know about game development, they also agree that this is the case AND the developers for Final Fantasy XIII said the exact same thing before they also went into beta.

if that's the case then why the need to hide even a few obviously bullshots of the game?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
hteng said:
if that's the case then why the need to hide even a few obviously bullshots of the game?

He explains in the interview that the higher-ups are forcing him to keep the game quiet until Type-0 and XIII-2 are out.

madmaxx350 said:
if it didn't how else would they make KH3?! I find it funny that you have to buy like 4 different console to play the entire KH series lol

True that. Why would you need to buy like 4 consoles to understand the story?

Fact is KH story still sucks, and to even understand KH2 you had to have played Chain of Memories and owned a GBA. Nomura is one big troll.

SykoTech said:
You're doing it wrong, Square. Keep unannounced games that aren't going to come out for years a secret, not announced titles that people really want to hear more about.
eh, if the game is genuinely good and worth the hype, it doesn't really matter when they start to promote it. the game is obviously announced too early, still doesn't mean that S-E are obligated to keep giving info about the game before they're ready (or because any other marketing purposes)

sure we can whine now about S-E doing it wrong by withholding screenshots etc, even say that we don't care about the game anymore, but when the time comes for S-E to start hyping this game again, we'll all be back again anyway.

SykoTech

I can't speak for everyone, but I know my anticipation was largely diminished by the lack of solid media regarding Versus. The debut trailer had me hyped, but then things flatlined. The pretty much fell off my radar entirely, and just got back on after seeing the gameplay footage in January. It won't matter too much if the game really does deliver, but I still think it would be best not to leave fans dry for months or even over a year without anything truly appetizing.

Of course, with XIII-2 right around the corner, it does make more sense to hold back for now.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Kagari said:
DEVELOPMENT CLARIFICATION:

Here is a sample of how Square Enix's development processes work these days.

http://www.andriasang.com/j/blog/2010/09/01/new_square_enix_game/
Okay, but there's still a TON of time that's unaccounted for. Did they announce the game like two and a half years before they even started it, or are they just terrible?

Again, the game was announced more than five years ago. We are still HOW far from release?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Htown said:
Okay, but there's still a TON of time that's unaccounted for. Did they announce the game like two and a half years before they even started it, or are they just terrible?

Again, the game was announced more than five years ago. We are still HOW far from release?

Probably at least a year and 1/2 from release... which would put it at December 2012.

.JayZii

Banned
Htown said:

We certainly were shown a trailer 5 years ago. I doubt they had anything done except the barest of game play and aesthetic direction at the time.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So maybe the problem is that Square doesn't actually have ideas for new games. They have ideas for cool trailers and then make up games to go around them.

.JayZii

Banned
Htown said:
So maybe the problem is that Square doesn't actually have ideas for new games. They have ideas for cool trailers and then make up games to go around them.
Probably a little of both.

SolidSnakex said:
In an interview printed in this week's Famitsu magazine, director Tetsuya Nomura stated that the PlayStation 3 RPG is still far from vaporware. "It's still under full development, of course," he said, "I'd like a chance to show everyone that development is coming along, but we have games like FF Type-0 and FFXIII-2 that will be released first, and the company's also telling me to keep project details secret for now. As a result, I apologize, but there won't be any new screenshots or other media released to the public for a little while."
http://www.1up.com/news/final-fantasy-xiii-chugging
Screw S-E. Prioritizing FF 13-2 over vs 13. That's the reason why vs 13 is stuck in the limbo when it fact it should've been released by now. Greedy sobs. Why do they want to give us what we didn't ask for but not give us what we ask for?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
RustyNails said:
Screw S-E. Prioritizing FF 13-2 over vs 13. That's the reason why vs 13 is stuck in the limbo when it fact it should've been released by now. Greedy sobs. Why do they want to give us what we didn't ask for but not give us what we ask for?

Hey now, the fans demanded XIII-2.

Kagari said:
DnrP6.jpg

If I was a Square fan, I'd probably be very sad now.

Since I'm not, it's just funny. I hope Square doesn't destroy the Enix side of the company.

Gravijah

The Spoony Hou said:
If I was a Square fan, I'd probably be very sad now.

Since I'm not, it's just funny. I hope Square doesn't destroy the Enix side of the company.

The darkness will seep into them.

RustyNails said:
I asked for XIII-2. Probably will be less embarrassing then Final Fantasy Kingdom Hearts Edition.

Ravage

Kagari said:

Well i sure didn't ask for it, and the average japanese gamer probably feel the same way going by the latest famitsu survey.

But let's not kid ourselves, FF13-2 only exists because SE realize they could reuse assets from FF13.

Ravage said:
Well i sure didn't ask for it, and the average japanese gamer probably feel the same way going by the latest famitsu survey.

But let's not kid ourselves, FF13-2 only exists because SE realize they could reuse assets from FF13.

This , it's a cash in cause they waste so much time and assets .

Rahxephon91 said:
I asked for XIII-2. Probably will be less embarrassing then Final Fantasy Kingdom Hearts Edition.

I really doubt it can be worst than XIII even if cast look out of a boy band.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
gundamkyoukai said:
I really doubt it can be worst than XIII even if cast look out of a boy band.
I really wish Akihiko Yoshida was the main FF character designer.

Chev

Raitosaito said:
True that. Why would you need to buy like 4 consoles to understand the story?
You don't. To understand the story you really just need KH, KH2 and BBS. Everything that happens in the other games is irrelevant filler or recounted in the main games.

Ahoi-Brause said:
Now why they let that clown nomura fumble as long on his game I can't tell.
Because he's proven himself. He's been involved in a lot of best sellers and the games and none of the games he directed (ie the KH games) had development hell problems.

Krev said:
I really wish Akihiko Yoshida was the main FF character designer.

Yoshida brought us Vaan...easily the worst designed FF character in the history of the series...

As for FFXIII-2.... I will buy it, but it would quickly sacrifice it at the alter if ff versus could be released sooner...

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
nelsonroyale said:
Yoshida brought us Vaan...easily the worst designed FF character in the history of the series...
This is who the male protagonist of FFXII was going to be before Matsuno was fired had a breakdown:
tumblr_lfq3bmaz341qgerq7an.jpg

Vaan was a corporate mandate from executives who demanded a typical FF/JRPG protagonist, and is an outlier among Yoshida designs.

Top Bottom