• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura on KH3 for Switch: "maybe after we release PS4 and Xbox One versions".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keinning

I think you actually might over estimate the KH brand name.

I love KH, but it's not as big as people think it is.
I can give a good example right now.
KHUX has had somewhere over 6 million downloads total. That's for global and JP. The game has been out a year on global and 2 years on JP almost,
Idk much about mobile, but 6 million downloads in the span of 2 years seems kinda low.

Meanwhile, Yugioh Duel Links hit 40 million downloads a couple months ago, and hasn't even been out a year. (I had no idea Yugioh was even this popular still)

I've always considered KH a pretty popular game, but with a really loud passion fan base.
I think many people would literally buy some systems just to play the games. (I buy most my handhelds for them.. I would have bought a vita too. lol)

I'd highly recommend watching all the games. Unless they plan on having a 2 hour intro of previous games or something, this game is going to be on par of MGS4 fan service/story. lol

I don't overestimate KH. Hell, i know nothing about KH at all. And i'm not sure i want to, it looks dumb as hell.

I do, however, believe in the strength of disney, and you should too. Disney franchises (specially after acquiring pixar) are insanely popular - they can sell anything on their own. And that includes KH3 on xbox. That toy story trailer alone was enough to convince a purchase for me - focus more on the disney and less on the anime and you can convince way more people. If this game includes a Frozen world as well, it will sell well on anything.

It's not about if they can. It's about if it's worthy.

Don't get why it's so hard to understand for some Nintendo fans. No videogame company it's here to do charity acts.

lmfao "worthy"

And it's already been pointed out to you but yeah KH games have been quite successful when they've released on Nintendo hardware.

sam12

Why do people care? It's the same with the new DBZ game and any Capcom game. You know they are not releasing the games they are making for PS4/Xbox on Switch. Why get worked over their answers, whatever they might be. Nintendo consoles are mainly enjoyed for Nintendo's first party, has been ever since N64, and even when Wii was the market leader, it never got major 3rd party games from that era. Not going to change with Switch now.

crash-14

multi million selling franchise with good sales history on nintendo systems. of fucking course it's worthy. switch is very popular.

it's certainly more worthy than a freaking xbox version.

That "Good sale history" it's not even close to what would be considered average outside handheld. Specially a project like this that even had to switch engines in his development. I always wonder if people really take a moment to think the amount of money implied in doing videogames whenever they say this kind of things.

Xbox version was announced before even switch existed and the machine announced matched the power and architecture Ps4 have, so why not? Especially if their thought his gen was going to be another close run between both.

And it's not as simple as "Hey this franchise sells a ton, so it'll sell a ton anywhere". Maybe the target audience for the product it's already on the systems it's launching on, meaning the amount of sell you can get in the new platform won't cover the money you have to spend to put it out there. Also, switch being popular doesn't erase the fact that the install base for it right now it's not big enough.

I wonder why some of you, that seem to be experts on running business, don't apply to get into this companies so they can see the light. How long will take you to put them in bankruptcy...

That "Good sale history" it's not even close to what would be considered average outside handheld. Specially a project like this that even had to switch engines in his development. I always wonder if people really take a moment to think the amount of money implied in doing videogames whenever they say this kind of things

And it's not as simple as "Hey this franchise sells a ton, so it'll sell a ton anywhere". Maybe the target audience for the product it's already on the systems it's launching on, meaning the amount of sell you can get in the new platform won't cover the money you have to spent to put it out there. Also, switch being popular doesn't erase the fact that the install base for it right now it's not big enough.

I wonder some of you, that seem to be experts on running business, don't apply to get into this companies so they can see the light. How long will take you to put them in bankruptcy...

Doubtful. They have an audience on PC/Steam and they may have one on Switch too.

Also, can we stop the old "they're a big company, they know what they do" thing ? It's not because they run a business that they run it the best way possible and cant do mistakes. We're talking about the company that moved its office because a fortune teller told so to the previous CEO.

Ex-Psych

I don't think I read a thread that has discharge this much cynicism.

Jeez talk about being a glass half-empty type of person.

cuate

Banned
That "Good sale history" it's not even close to what would be considered average outside handheld. Specially a project like this that even had to switch engines in his development. I always wonder if people really take a moment to think the amount of money implied in doing videogames whenever they say this kind of things

And it's not as simple as "Hey this franchise sells a ton, so it'll sell a ton anywhere". Maybe the target audience for the product it's already on the systems it's launching on, meaning the amount of sell you can get in the new platform won't cover the money you have to spent to put it out there. Also, switch being popular doesn't erase the fact that the install base for it right now it's not big enough.

I wonder some of you, that seem to be experts on running business, don't apply to get into this companies so they can see the light. How long will take you to put them in bankruptcy...

take your vapid devsplaining and shove it. I wasn't born yesterday. no shit it takes money, sherlock, but let's not act like they won't easily recoup their investment. corporate ass lickers like you are the worst. ready to defend every dumb decision companies make while scolding consumers for not taking their bullshit.

Cbajd5

Also, switch being popular doesn't erase the fact that the install base for it right now it's not big enough.

well the install base of the switch is infinitely larger than the install base of the ps4 and xbox one combined when kingdom hearts iii were announced to be coming to those systems

so

Caronte

What made them decide to put 3 on Xbox One, but none of the other stuff that came to the PS4?

I'm guessing they have some sort of deal with MS. Outside of FFXV their Japanese support for Xbox has been pretty abysmal so far. Also, every time they show a new trailer the Xbox One logo at the end is always the first one. But who knows.

What a stupid thing to say. Typical dev doublespeak bullshit.

As if an announcement for the Switch would cause the wringing of hands from anyone except the weird Nomura superfans.

BriGuy

I don't think the Toy Story quality graphics would make the transition. I wouldn't mind having a portable charger compilation of the earlier titles though.

The XB1 version of the game was planned out before they knew who would 'win' the next generation. At that point they were likely just covering their bases to ensure that the game reached the widest audience possible by it being on both platforms. Fast Forward to today, it's clear that an XB1 version is unnecessary, but the PS4 and XB1 share similar architecture and power so they may as well continue to develop the game for that platform since it'll at least push a decent amount of units and they've already sunk the time into the platform.

A switch port forces them to develop on a platform that wouldn't be able to handle the game the same way it will be presented on the PS4 and X1. Considering the delta in power between the PS4/X1 and Switch the game would have to be pared back significantly, and a ton of the visual fidelity that the game has would be lost. I don't think an XB1 version really has any implications on a Switch version given that this decision was likely made a significant period of time ago.

Terrell

Considering KH3 has been taking forever and a day to see release on PS4 and Xbox One, I don't actually have an issue with this response. I want it on Switch, sure, but I'm not going to run the risk of throwing any further wrenches into development that's obviously not going well and deny someone else a chance to play it in the interim by asking for it to happen now.

Considering KH3 has been taking forever and a day to see release on PS4 and Xbox One, I don't actually have an issue with this response. I want it on Switch, sure, but I'm not going to run the risk of throwing any further wrenches into development that's obviously not going well and deny someone else a chance to play it in the interim.

That's not how it works though. The developpement of the main game doesnt get longer because there's one more or one less sku being developped.

The game's taking long because they are taking long to make the main thing happening and had an engine switch in the begining.

Additionnal SKUs are either handled by a small team inside the dev team OR developped externally.

Game is probably going to run at like 900p and 30fps on a PS4. Scaling it down to work on a Switch in handheld mode might be difficult.

Wanderer5

What about PC? D: Would be nice even if it later.

But really, it would be great to see it on the switch, given the series history on nintendo platforms.

Terrell

That's not how it works though. The developpement of the main game doesnt get longer because there's one more or one less sku being developped.

The game's taking long because they are taking long to make the main thing happening and had an engine switch in the begining.

Additionnal SKUs are either handled by a small team inside the dev team OR developped externally.

I don't think we know how it works, at this point, since nothing has been standard about it. This game was announced as being in development since 2013, and its current engine, UE4, was established as the game's primary engine in 2014. We have not seen a single playable demo in all the time since then, which is 4 years ago, or 3 years since the change in engine happened. Goofy's voice acting has been finished since 2015.

Clearly something has been seriously wrong with this game's development, so saying this is a standard game from a design perspective and standard expectations can be applied belies that nothing about this game has been "standard".

I don't think we know how it works, at this point, since nothing has been standard about it. This game was announced as being in development since 2013, and its current engine, UE4, was established as the game's primary engine in 2014. We have not seen a single playable demo in all the time since then, which is 4 years ago, or 3 years since the change in engine happened. Goofy's voice acting has been finished since 2015.

Clearly something has been seriously wrong with this game's development, so saying this is a standard game from a design perspective and standard expectations can be applied belies that nothing about this game has been "standard".

But we did saw gameplay a lot of time ?
Also, basically: Game is developped on high end PC with UE4, then downported to additionnal skus. Like most major games these days.

Basically, my point is the main game isnt finished yet. So it's not about such SKU is taking long or adding one will make troubles.

Color me a little surprised it's still coming to Xbox. It's cool to see Square hold that promise. That's where I'll be playing it for sure.

Defuser

At least he's not giving bullshit excuses like "not enough buttons on switch!" He wants to concentrate on putting out on 2 platforms first.

Nomura have no problems putting kingdom hearts on a nintendo hardware considering 3DS has DDD.

jackdoe

Game is probably going to run at like 900p and 30fps on a PS4. Scaling it down to work on a Switch in handheld mode might be difficult.
It definitely won't look anywhere as pretty, it may look like crap in some areas (like IQ), and it may run very poorly, but the Rise of the Tomb Raider downport to the Xbox 360 shows that it's doable within a reasonable timeframe provided they outsource it to a team with talent.

Why wouldn't it? KH isn't exactly some obscure rpg series

It just that the Xbox brand hasn't had A SINGLE KH in it's consoles; it didn't even get 2.8 & 1.5+2.5 which would've been perfect for it, sure it will sell some copies but the sales are going to be low.

As for the switch...just say no Nomura, don't string Switch fans with false hope.

Strings

Well, that demo had all types of technical problems on a base PS4 and PS4 Pro, so it definitely corroborates his assumption that there are issues with development

It did o_O? I played it on a Pro and was super happy with the performance. I'm pretty okay with variable-framerates though.

JayEH

That goofy stuff was a mistake by the voice actor for most likely some re recording for some of the hd collections. As seen, they haven't even started English VO yet.

MAtgS

2S3XFd3.jpg

Still waiting, Nomura.

tkscz

UE4 is supported by Switch and extremely scalable so they can pull it off, but let them even get the game out first. How many years has it been sense 2?

Champion

As if Nomura has a say in what platforms his games get ported onto.... The suits at Square are looking at that question like....
WpR4D_s-200x150.gif

Mariolee

absolutely ridiculous. huge companies acting like they can't afford switch versions of their games.

More like Nomura already has a hard time dealing with getting the PS4/XBONE versions out by next year. Adding a Switch port at the same time will kick this game into 2019 or 2020 if they want release date parity. Not worth it.

People acting like Square has infinite money in here when they literally just had to let go of IO software and Hitman due to financial constraints.

cuate

Banned
More like Nomura already has a hard time dealing with getting the PS4/XBONE versions out by next year. Adding a Switch port at the same time will kick this game into 2019 or 2020 if they want release date parity. Not worth it.

you talk as if that's the inevitable outcome of adding switch support. a different team can handle it. it wouldn't impact development of ps4/xbox versions. if they only start working on a switch port after the xbps4 versions release, they might as well not bother.

RikuDawn

Portable KH3 would be nice but there's no way I'm not getting KH3 day one, so I'm not waiting for this. And unless it has some kind of special exclusive feature on Switch, I ain't buying it again.

nickgia

Portable KH3 would be nice but there's no way I'm not getting KH3 day one, so I'm not waiting for this. And unless it has some kind of special exclusive feature on Switch, I ain't buying it again.

It'll be the final mix version.

Please no final mix version, Nomura.

Defuser

I'm curious but why do people see the need to ask a game devloper about a console port when it's obviously its not up to them to decide when its the higher up business executives that makes the decison.

And why can't the developers just say it's not up to them to decide instead of tossing out a reasoning? They always get flak because of this.

It being a UE4 game at least means that porting won't be too hard to do when they decide to do it

Why do people keep saying that lol? Nothing about that at all means its easy to port a ps4 optimized game to switch.
Blizzard even went on record saying itll be hard to run overwatch on switch with acceptable performance and that thing is optimized like a dream . Not to mention how much more complex kh3 is visually.

In any case, the only thing i draw from that answer is " Not looking into it right now as our priority is releasing it for the announced platforms"

I'm curious but why do people see the need to ask a game devloper about a console port when it's obviously its not up to them to decide when its the higher up business executives that makes the decison.

And why can't the developers just say it's not up to them to decide instead of tossing out a reasoning? They always get flak because of this.

If they leave with a response that is anything less than hopeful , they get flak for it anyways. Just look at every other thread about some devs more or less bluntly ruling out the switch version or questioning its hardware capability.
By giving a vague positive response, you shut people atleast for a couple of years , by when you can actually figure out if this port would make sense or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom