• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura on KH3 for Switch: "maybe after we release PS4 and Xbox One versions".

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdstorm

Banned
If you won't do release date parity, then don't bother.

Sincerely a WiiU/Switch owner.

The only thing releasing later does is kill sales. Yet when these ill advised late ports do badly they kill any 3rd party momentum and lead to 3rd parties complaining that their games don't sell on Nintendo systems.

Atheerios

But if I remember correctly Nintendo doesn't allow late ports for Switch, they have to be definitive editions and have some sort of Switch exclusive content, so they are gonna need to do that.

I think Yooka Laylee and Rime Switch ports are exceptions because those were announced before the launch on other platforms.

It's not happening, Nintendo never got the mainline entries and KH3 won't change that.
I find it hilarious that Xbox is getting KH3 after Square didn't even bother with it for KH 1.5+2.5 or KH 2.8.

At this point I believe KH3 is coming rob xbox One only because Square said so in 2013. If it was announced after the consoles launched KH3 would be an exclusive to PS4 just like the compilations were before this.

I always found ridiculous the idea that adding another SKU, for such a big publisher, on such engine, would be a lot of efforts and that they'd need to "focus" on something first.

Even for a big publisher, just adding another SKU isn't that simple, especially when it's so architecturally different compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. I can believe that they don't have the resource to dedicate people to porting it to Switch. They likely just want to get the game out on the platforms it's announced on where they will gain the most sales.

They do ?
It's not like they cant hire an external studio either.

That's assuming that the expense of hiring an external studio to port the game to Switch right now is actually worth doing. Seems like it's hard for some people to accept that Switch isn't the top priority for a lot of developers. It's a brand new system anyway, and has come out at an awkward time.

absolutely ridiculous. huge companies acting like they can't afford switch versions of their games.

It's fascinating how entitled some Switch owners sound.

seady

If they "start" thinking about the possibility after the game is release, people will not care for a Switch port when they release it 2 years later (after original release).

killatopak

Definitely release first on the announced platforms.

even with the 2018 release date, it still sounds like they won't make it in time if we're going by nomura standards. I don't want him to waste more time.

cuate

Banned
Even for a big publisher, just adding another SKU isn't that simple, especially when it's so architecturally different compared to the PS4 and Xbox One. I can believe that they don't have the resource to dedicate people to porting it to Switch. They likely just want to get the game out on the platforms it's announced on where they will gain the most sales.

That's assuming that the expense of hiring an external studio to port the game to Switch right now is actually worth doing. Seems like it's hard for some people to accept that Switch isn't the top priority for a lot of developers. It's a brand new system anyway, and has come out at an awkward time.

give me a fucking break. asking for date parity is being entitled? sick of transparent fanboys "calling out" switch owners for demanding better support. I'm sure square is proud of you.

give me a fucking break. asking for date parity is being entitled?

That's not what you said. You said it's "fucking ridiculous how big companies can't afford Switch versions of games". They have no obligation to support the platform, and as I said in my earlier post, just throwing in another SKU isn't as simple as some of you seem to think it is.

They want to focus on the platform the game is being developed on and actually get the thing into consumers' hands. There's nothing wrong with that.

Edit: Fanboys? I'm a Switch owner too. Check my post history. I just know how these things work and I'm not going to start throwing shade because a company doesn't plan on porting a game that's clearly having development issues to a platform I own.

For Switch maybe. For PC ? Definitely doable.
It's not about being capable. It's about wanting.

I agree, it is about wanting to. I see this assumption from a lot of people (not you) that developers should want to make their games for Switch, which is baffling. The platform is doing well and may be compatible with UE4, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Square Enix is making the wrong decision by just focusing on the PS4 and Xbox One versions of the game (or in some developers' cases, the PC version too).

For Switch maybe. For PC ? Definitely doable.
It's not about being capable. It's about wanting.

cuate

Banned
That's not what you said. You said it's "fucking ridiculous how big companies can't afford Switch versions of games". They have no obligation to support the platform, and as I said in my earlier post, just throwing in another SKU isn't as simple as some of you seem to think it is.

They want to focus on the platform the game is being developed on and actually get the thing into consumers' hands. There's nothing wrong with that.

ACTING like they can't afford it. they have no problem throwing hundreds of millions developing the ps4/xb versions but somehow a switch sku is too much for them? I don't buy that garbage.

and if you aren't a fanboy you sure come across as one.

LAA

I..just can't see KH3 running on the Switch like it is in its current form right now.
I think it'd need a significant downgrade.
Definitely glad they want it afterwards. Last thing I want is another delay..

I'd probably still be up for it though and having all the KHs on it portably.

oti

Banned
Mind boggling that they are releasing this on xbox one :/

They promised it. Would be super shitty to Xbox owners if they canceled it.

To Switch I'd say just release that goddamn game first. I like my Switch too but after all this time I'm 100% OK playing it wherever it releases first. If it's good enough I'd sell my PS4 version and buy it again on Switch. But KH game aren't really re-playable for me anyway.

ACTING like they can't afford it. they have no problem throwing hundreds of millions developing the ps4/xb versions but somehow a switch sku is too much for them?

Well you know, the PS4/XB1 have a combined install base of over 80 million, have been in development for a number of years and are likely easier to scale to given the fidelity of the game they're making. Why it's so hard for you to believe that they just want to focus on getting the game finished on those platforms first instead of tripping over themselves to get the game onto Switch to appease a relative minority is beyond my understanding.

Sure, it'd be nice, but it is what it is.

Edit: I come across as a fanboy because I'm saying something you don't like? Grow up.

give me a fucking break. asking for date parity is being entitled? sick of transparent fanboys "calling out" switch owners for demanding better support.

well for one the platforms the game was announced for were released almost 4 years before the switch, its only fair they get priority.
two, nobody at all whatsoever is even confirming the game for switch, as successful as gaf likes to think it is , it is ultimately not even a fraction of the ps4/xb1 userbase, hell attribute it to the stock issues but its not even selling as fast the ps4 right now. this is a console from a company that has had a very dubious history 3rd parties .
If the switch does get phenomenal 3rd party support, welcome it and celebrate it but people buying the switch should know what to expect and what to 'demand' . If anything , its nintendo's launch console, they should be throwing money at everything under the sun instead of letting devs not care about it
And i say that as someone who's had a switch collecting dust for the past month.

The fanbase needs to let go of the dual personality where it port begs everything , then demands high quality and all the attention, but when a dev refuses they proclaim the game to be shit and act like they always only bought the switch for nintendo games and it doesnt matter to them.

ACTING like they can't afford it. they have no problem throwing hundreds of millions developing the ps4/xb versions but somehow a switch sku is too much for them?

They don't think the development time for a switch version is the best use of their time and money.

That's nintendos fault for years of cultivating that logic in developers.

Nobody thinks making a switch version is impossible. That they don't think the compromises required to get it working is worth it is the real reason but they can't say it because people would backlash over it , despite it being true.

It's not like square isn't supporting Switch, particularly with Octopath Traveller, but the idea that switch can and will get everything from ps4 despite the hardware differences... Well, it's not reasonable.

samar11

They promised it. Would be super shitty to Xbox owners if they canceled it.

To Switch I'd say just release that goddamn game first. I like my Switch too but after all this time I'm 100% OK playing it wherever it releases first. If it's good enough I'd sell my PS4 version and buy it again on Switch. But KH game aren't really re-playable for me anyway.

They would be regretting it now I beat. the resources could be used to make a better version PS4, or even a switch version. THere is no audience on the xbox one.

cuate

Banned
Well you know, the PS4/XB1 have a combined install base of over 80 million, have been in development for a number of years and are likely easier to scale to given the fidelity of the game they're making. Why it's so hard for you to believe that they just want to focus on getting the game finished on those platforms first instead of tripping over themselves to get the game onto Switch to appease a relative minority is beyond my understanding.

Sure, it'd be nice, but it is what it is.

because a switch sku wouldn't impact development of the other versions and because a switch version is guaranteed to sell way more than an xbox version, specially in japan where it is nonexistant.

They don't think the development time for a switch version is the best use of their time and money.

That's nintendos fault for years of cultivating that logic in developers.

Nobody thinks making a switch version is impossible. That they don't think the compromises required to get it working is worth it is the real reason but they can't say it because people would backlash over it , despite it being true.

It's not like square isn't supporting Switch, particularly with Octopath Traveller, but the idea that switch can and will get everything from ps4 despite the hardware differences... Well, it's not reasonable.

well they freaking should. don't tell me kh wouldn't sell a ton on switch.

Strings

ACTING like they can't afford it. they have no problem throwing hundreds of millions developing the ps4/xb versions but somehow a switch sku is too much for them? I don't buy that garbage.

I dunno what to say. At least try and be reasonable and understand that at this point it would cost them more time than it would money (or a prohibitively high amount of money if they want date parity) to release a Switch version.

because a switch sku wouldn't impact development of the other versions and because a switch version is guaranteed to sell way more than an xbox version, specially in japan where it is nonexistant.

Why wouldn't it? Do you work at Square Enix? Do you know their headcount? Their team resource for KH3?

Mariolee

you talk as if that's the inevitable outcome of adding switch support. a different team can handle it. it wouldn't impact development of ps4/xbox versions. if they only start working on a switch port after the xbps4 versions release, they might as well not bother.

Again, from my layman's perspective you have to PAY for that extra team, something that maybe Square doesn't see as financially viable at the moment.

Bruh, you're the biggest fanboy in this thread. Your posts are embarrassing.

They would be regretting it now I beat. the resources could be used to make a better version PS4, or even a switch version. THere is no audience on the xbox one.
The audience for KH3 (and Japanese games in general) on XBox may be very small, but there is an audience there.

This wont happen.

I know people want to believe, but it wont be a thing.

If it does happen, I promise that I"ll eat crow like never before.

oti

Banned

Even if they are, why would we care. There are millions of Xbox owners out there. This will be a nice title that adds some diversity to the line-up. There's nothing bad about that.

Switch just isn't where I want to play this, but without release parity this version has even less of a chance.

Definitely interested in what it could look like with some real effort.

It's never happening. Switch is underpowered and will never be a third party platform for games like kingdom hearts. Rocket league yes kingdom hearts no

cuate

Banned

The audience for KH3 (and Japanese games in general) on XBox may be very small, but there is an audience there.

the only embarrassing post are the ardent corporate defenders acting like people are being unreasonable by demanding better support on switch. as if square is such a small company that they can't afford it.

You have no idea if that's true. In fact , it's virtually impossible for that to be accurate, since a switch version isn't going to appear by magic.

assembling a small port team or even outsourcing it won't impact the other versions.

well they freaking should. don't tell me kh wouldn't sell a ton on switch.

Man you sure seem to know a lot.
I mean if i said it wont sell a ton do you have any way to prove me wrong lol?
That aside, A huge chunk of kh sales have always skewed towards NA, where xb1 is considerably higher than switch will be for a good while

Mariolee

the only embarrassing post are the ardent corporate defenders acting like people are being unreasonable by demanding better support on switch. as if square is such a small company that they can't afford it.

Nope, embarassing posts still belong to you.

Then your anger is misplaced. Third party developers don't owe you a damn thing. It's up to Nintendo to garner that support. Just making a system that's "easy" to port to isn't enough. They're not in the position of power here, especially when it comes to third parties. Go out, speak to developers, get this stuff on your platform.

LAA

The fact Nomura's even giving a Switch port any thought shows this doesn't seem to be a power issue.

Or that he hasn't seen what it can do?
He's only saying it'd be under consideration and discussion afterwards anyway, and he wouldn't be the person to know whether it is technically possible.

I think it's certainly possible it could come, but in its current form now? No chance. It'd need a significant downgrade, which would mean more time dedicates to it. Best choice to leave it till after.

I'll tell you straight up. lol this is bullshit and expected as well. No hard feelings from me cause I was always buying on xbox one but the excuse is good, but its stupid.

"Considering Possibilities" LOL

The fact Nomura's even giving a Switch port any thought shows this doesn't seem to be a power issue.

His statement just sounds like theyre open to porting it but theyll only think about it once ps4/xb1 versions are out of the way, nothing implies he's learned enough about the device to estimate no power issues. That can only come from something who's dedicate so serious time examining a possible port

cuate

Banned
Man you sure seem to know a lot.
I mean if i said it wont sell a ton do you have any way to prove me wrong lol?
That aside, A huge chunk of kh sales have always skewed towards NA, where xb1 is considerably higher than switch will be for a good while

for fuck sake. the franchise has been on nintendo systems before to really great sales. of course a switch version would have great sales considering it's popularity and the fact that kh is a great fit for nintendo audiences. xbox sell jackshit in japan so that version already is pretty questionable. wheres a switch version would sell great everywhere.

Nope, embarassing posts still belong to you.

tell me how.

Then your anger is misplaced. Third party developers don't owe you a damn thing. It's up to Nintendo to garner that support. Just making a system that's "easy" to port to isn't enough. They're not in the position of power here, especially when it comes to third parties. Go out, speak to developers, get this stuff on your platform.

when did i say i was owed? the fuck is wrong with some of you?

goddam corporate suck ups pretending to be noble and understanding by siding with company bullshit.

Nutter

They announced it before the launch of PS4 and One. Square probably thought the new gen will be a repeat of 360 vs PS3 and thought it was a good idea to release it on Xbox One for the US market. But well...
And how is that a bad idea now? Xbox One is still pretty close to the PS4 in the US. Sure Xbox isn't ahead like the 360 days but why should they ignore the ~15 million user base in the States.

samar11

Will they make any money from it though? Didn't the last one on xbox do really poorly ?

Dragon Quest XI says hi.

We don't how it looks like, we dont know under what circumstances it being made and we dont even know how far along it is development.That and it was a safe bet because dq mostly just sells in japan and they were already doing a weaker and a stronger version.
Not only is the game considerably less complex from the technical standpoint , they could also just go with the middle ground using pre existing assets in case switch would have trouble running the ps4 version .

for fuck sake. the franchise has been on nintendo systems before to really great sales. of course a switch version would have great sales considering it's popularity and the fact that kh is a great fit for nintendo audiences. xbox sell jackshit in japan so that version already is pretty questionable. wheres a switch version would sell great everywhere.

The Xbox version was announced before the generation even started. It was hedging bets because noone knew which platform would sell better, that or PS4. We're it announced today instead, it'd likely be ps4 exclusive.

It's not handwavey magic to port a big title to much weaker hardware like you seem to think it is.

Will they make any money from it though? Didn't the last one on xbox do really poorly ?
I don't think kh has been on Xbox at all before, has it?

Mariolee

Or that he hasn't seen what it can do?
He's only saying it'd be under consideration and discussion afterwards anyway, and he wouldn't be the person to know whether it is technically possible.

I think it's certainly possible it could come, but in its current form now? No chance. It'd need a significant downgrade, which would mean more time dedicates to it. Best choice to leave it till after.

His statement just sounds like theyre open to porting it but theyll only think about it once ps4/xb1 versions are out of the way, nothing implies he's learned enough about the device to estimate no power issues. That can only come from something who's dedicate so serious time examining a possible port

Why do we think that Nomura, a veteran game developer who has collaborated many times with Nintendo, knows less than the average Gaffer about the Switch's technical capabilities for his own game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom