• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura talks Final Fantasy VII Remake in Dengeki PlayStation

Answer is obvious when you think about it..

Throw the rose away because the ff franchise doesn't need anymore roses attached to it. Get a cake cut it in half and give each one a slice

Moar roses
imaginebeinginthataudience.jpg

DKHF

Nah I've seen the same back and forth actually. A couple ppl in here making jokes aren't even in xv threads...
Eh there is definitely some who just don't like Nomura in general (dislike his character designs and/or KH) but in this thread and others this year a lot are the biggest XV fans. And in XV threads I've seen unfair and not based on accurate info shots taken at him by regulars.

Eh there is definitely some who just don't like Nomura in general (dislike his character designs and/or KH) but in this thread and others this year a lot are the biggest XV fans. And in XV threads I've seen unfair and not based on accurate info shots taken at him by regulars.
I feel like we'll just have to agree to disagree here it hasn't been some one sided thing like you seem to have only saw.

I hope ya'll actually clicked the source of that post.

I knew it was a joke immediately since it had so much info. They're not giving us substantial info on VII:R until FFXV has been out for a bit.

I absolutely agree. A lot of FFXV diehards are tired of the Versus talk and Nomura's vision for the game so they've been taking potshots at him. I can't say I'm THAT impressed by Tabata and his team just yet either. I need to finally play the game first before that to see if he's leveled up compared to his previous titles (Type-0, Crisis Core)

That's not to say FFXV doesn't look promising and really good though. I mean, the recent Eurogamer video has beyond hyped for it but my main issue is whether the story comes together.

ffvorax

Probably 2018 release date, is the best I can hope... maybe they will announce Crisis Core HD... would like to play it again.

He has to have a young boy in all his stories. We are getting a fucking Denzel chapter, aren't we? Denzel is likely going to be retconned in there as some kind of eavesdropper while AVALANCHE are planning their attack on the Mako reactor.

Mr. RHC

Action game play? Split into multiple releases? Constant delays? No release date in sight? This remake is shaping up to be a train wreck.

....on the plus side, that means that as the FF fan base's love of VII is dwindling, is it time for the best Final Fantasy to step up and finally take it's place as the most popular game in the series? I'm talking of course about:

Final Fantasy VIII.

Slaaaaay.

Anyways, I think it's safe to assume that development for this game doesn't start before the release date is announced. There is no reason to be upset.

jett

D-Member
Yup, at least one of the bigger teams at BD5 (basically the FFXII/The Last Remnant team including Ito) could've been working on it and in fact, according to Kagari, they were hiring for a big game in the last two years or so, IIRC. FFVIIR isn't made in-house, btw. Main developer is CyberConnect2. So technically even BD1 (Kitase's FFXIII team) could help out.

Interesting.

Moving on to a general development update, Nomura siad that because they're trying out a lot of new challenges, the development staff is still focused on the core members. However, they're making preparations to enter full production.

edit: lol I knew there was a reason it reminded me so much of Versus XIII.

So was lack of Versus shit more Nomura than Square? Obviously the company may be restricting things, but the language here is so familiar.

TheContact

Action-based reconfirmed is pleasing to hear

No it is not =(
They're trying to turn ff7 into something it isn't. All future FF games are going to be action based. You have FFXV soon if you want an action game. The point of the ff7 reboot is to give players who never played the game a chance to see it with current gen hardware. The spirit of the game is being sucked out of it with this change. I miss ATB but I get that gamers are becoming increasingly impatient and need to be constantly mashing buttons, but they could have done what ff7 did originally: have a toggle for "wait" and "active" modes for ATB.

sappyday

KH3 is gonna come out at the minimum 4 years after its announcement. Most likely 5 years after its announcement. But fans will have to wait 11-12 years, longer than Versus XIII/XV.

Maybe making FFVIIR episodic isn't to fit it all but to compensate for Nomura

Infest

First thing’s first though: we’ll have to wait until the crowded release period of games such as World of Final Fantasy and other projects calm down a bit before the information ban can be lifted.

lol he really refuses to say "its" name anymore. ~The game whose name shall not be mentioned.~ x)

bunkitz

I hope they'd at least release the first "episode" next year.

As much as I would miss the turn-based combat, I'm somewhat surprisingly glad to hear that the combat will definitely be leaning more towards action. Good, of course, that they're still planning to accommodate a wider audience in that regard.

Koozek

Here's more details from a Famitsu interview:

Source

I hope ya'll actually clicked the source of that post.

LOOOOOOL, you got me good, Ganon. I was about to make another silly joke about how history is repeating and how much FFVIIR sounds to be the new Versus, right down to the talk about getting rid of uncontrollable cutscenes and less difference between the high- and low-quality models. Funniest thing is is, I was actually thinking "Hm, what he's saying sounds really good! More dynamic cutscenes, more natural voice recordings. I wonder what he meant with the 'new kind of system'. If I hadn't seen Plywood's post I would believed it and probably quoted this interview in the future, haha.

Well done, man :D

Confused by that part. How is it going to be "very rich in action" and please turn-based fans?

As one, I'd need good party play and good party control. In a game "very rich in action" that ain't going to happen unless the game is hardcore pause and strategize, which I doubt is what they are going for at all.

I dunno. Maybe he means instead of Cloud jumping forward, attacking and then retreating, he's doing all back flips and shit? Maybe your characters are constantly moving rather than waiting in a line?

It could be the presentation he's referring to, rather than how it controls?

/shrug

Kareha

Not liking the sound of no Active Time Battle system. I don't want an action based FFVII, I want a graphical update of the original game :(

Koozek

Not liking the sound of no Active Time Battle system. I don't want an action based FFVII, I want a graphical update of the original game :(
That was never their intention (and rightly so), so better to accept that now or just stop following the game.

But speaking with Engadget, Nomura has said a 1:1 remake is unnecessary.

“The original is out again: the ‘HD’ PC version is coming to PS4 already. We don’t need two of the same thing,” he said.

“Even if we beautified and upgraded the visuals – something that’s bound to happen. If it’s a full remake, then of course, we want to take a different approach. If we actually just upgraded the visuals there’d be no need for me to direct it.

“If we take everything literally the same, we’re turning into the HD port again.”​

Regarding the battle-system:
Nomura has repeatedly refused to be drawn on what might change (although he has hinted the Honey Bee Inn section will remain, along with other light-hearted moments) but said he won’t do anything too “drastic” like switching genders, for example, and his colleagues are keen to retain as much of the original’s spirit as possible.

That said, it’s extremely unlikely the combat of the original will be retained.

“We can’t have these upgraded, beautiful 3D models of Cloud and Barrett, still lining up in a row, jumping forward to attack an enemy, then jumping back to wait for their next turn,” Nomura said.

“That would be bizarre. Of course there will likely be changes there.”​

ZenTzen

there is no way we would get the first episode later than 2018. Remember the remake is divided in 3 games, so it shouldn't take the same developtime like a full Final Fantasy

they never stated it'll be 3 games though, its probably more than likely to be like that, with a best case scenario to be 2 parts

i'm expecting it'll be divided like this
Part 1 - goes all the way to the boat ride in junon
Part 2 - goes all the way to northern crater
Part 3 - rest of the game

Whoever did all those HARD ROCK covers for Advent Children.

ugh...

wiki said:
The music of Final Fantasy VII Advent Children was composed by Nobuo Uematsu, Keiji Kawamori, Kenichiro Fukui, and Tsuyoshi Sekito, and arranged by Fukui, Sekito, Kawamori, Shirō Hamaguchi, and Kazuhiko Toyama.

Take your pick.

And those covers were great.

they never stated it'll be 3 games though, its probably more than likely to be like that, with a best case scenario to be 2 parts

i'm expecting it'll be divided like this
Part 1 - goes all the way to the boat ride in junon
Part 2 - goes all the way to northern crater
Part 3 - rest of the game

but after northern crater there is only the final dungeon. i don't think it would work to have an entire game based on a single dungeon.

imo it'll be 2 parts split at the Midgar escape.

Koozek

but after northern crater there is only the final dungeon. i don't think it would work to have an entire game based on a single dungeon.

That would be a very uneven split. Midgar is only a third of the first CD or so. Part 2 would have to have the WHOLE rest of the world. There would be many years between the two episodes this way. Pretty sure it'll be 3 parts.

ZenTzen

i'm talking about the first time you go to the northern crater, after that you have the escape from junon, mideel, the whole huge materia stuff, clouds psyche, submarine and depths exploration, space, WEAPON fights, attack on midgar, maybe even put something for the forest of the ancients, final dungeon, or whatever you want to put more in there, its not just final dungeon

Beatrix

I wonder what Nomura could have planned for a FF anniversary. In all seriousness I don't expect FF7Re to come out until 2020 at the earliest, with a realistic release date of 2022/2024. Game was announced too early.

I'm glad he'd like to plan something to happen with a game 2 years after it's been revealed.

Guys, don't put so much into the wording in a translated interview. The way Japanese works, that might as well have actually been him saying that "we're trying to create a battle system that will satisfy older fans as well".

Top Bottom