• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North American Nintendo Switch Lineup

I have a Wii U. Zelda will be available on it and I don't have to go through a paywall to play my copies of Mario Kart and Smash.

Help me get excited about this launch because I have no reason to.

Your Wii U doesn't get to take advantage of the SNES-like renaissance that seems slated to happen on Switch. (Super Bomberman R, Octopath Traveler, Fast RMX, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Sonic Mania, and Arms all feel like they could have belonged to the SNES era but are made with modern technology.)

If that doesn't interest you, then carry on. But it's the same kind of thing that we saw with DS, only it's starting to flesh itself out much closer to launch.

I just noticed I have over $80 left on my eshop balance. Any word if it transfers over? Normally I wouldn't worry... but this is Nintendo :(

They united eShop balances on 3DS and Wii U.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't keep your balance on Switch.

rockx4

I just noticed I have over $80 left on my eshop balance. Any word if it transfers over? Normally I wouldn't worry... but this is Nintendo :(

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

I'd be surprised if it didn't. While the Wii and DS were weird in how they handled it, your funds are shared across both the 3DS and WiiU... so I don't see why they wouldn't lump Switch into that ecosystem.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wii U had worthwhile launch titles?

I'm hoping most the good wii U gsmes get ported to the switch.

NSMBU is like... one of the best 2D Mario games, so that would qualify as worthwhile. People didn't care at the time because there were so many goddamn Mario games coming out, and the other NSMB games were less than exhilarating.

But that's basically it. I guess some people liked ZombiU, too, but eh.

rockx4

They united eShop balances on 3DS and Wii U.

I'd be shocked if you couldn't keep your balance on Switch.

I'd be surprised if it didn't. While the Wii and DS were weird in how they handled it, your funds are shared across both the 3DS and WiiU... so I don't see why they wouldn't lump Switch into that ecosystem.

I hope so. Not really interested in anything else digital on 3DS or Wii U with Switch coming out. I remembered the Wii/DS situation before the 3DS and Wii U releases and that got me worried.

QaaQer

Ha ha no.

Zelda is a system seller but that's it. All the other games you give a side eye look.

The Wii U had more and higher quality variety.

Assassin's Creed 3.
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Skylanders: Giants
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU

The Wii U was in a vastly better shape even though Nintendo sort of dropped the ball with their own first party offerings.

Thing is, the underlying concept of wiiU was just not appealing, it wasn't really about games. The market has yet to decide on whether the underlying concept of NS is appealing. If it is, the games will come if/when companies see an exploitable audience developing.

The PS4--pre-Microsoft X1 fuck up--was not widely embraced. Console sales were down for the past 3 years, sony's comittment was not on the same plane as for PS3 leading up to launch (marketing, subsidizing, etc.). Companies were hedged their bets and not willing to invest in what could be seen at the time as a dying market. & MS can be a scary motherfucker in whatever market it decides to embrace, it wasnt crazy to think they would crush Sony in 2012 in gen 8. Then MS fumbled on their own goal line with their X1 blow out and became hated overnight; WiiU was WiiU; and the console industry has a resurgence. That all lead to big sales for PS4, which caused a torrent of stuff being green lit for PS4 post launch. In short, the PS4 gained momentum like a cartoon snowball rolling down a hill.

If the Switch, for whatever reasons, gets to 20 million in the first 12-18 months, then the same thing will happen. The main selling points appear to be games-on-the-go + Nintendo first party. How appealing that is to the market is what we are going to find out. The race has yet to be run, keep the faith.

I have a Wii U. Zelda will be available on it and I don't have to go through a paywall to play my copies of Mario Kart and Smash.

In your case, you basically don't need a Switch for the first year, unless they announce Gamecube VC games or something within that time. I didn't buy a Wii U at launch because I barely cared about any of the games that came out for it in the first year (pretty much just Pikmin 3). In all honesty, the only reason I own a Wii U is because I got it as a surprise Christmas present.

I have a Wii U too, but I'll be getting a Switch at launch mainly for Zelda since I'd rather have a fully portable version (and I'm not a fan of the quality of Wii U Gamepad's screen or the short range it has). I'll probably buy Smash Bros for it eventually too, depending on what's included with it (all DLC, maps, 3DS+Wii U modes, and hopefully an extra mode or two). I never bought all the DLC for Smash Bros and hardly played it on the 3DS or Wii U. And I'd love an improved, portable version of LEGO City Undercover, especially if it fixes the load times from the Wii U version.

I'm also hoping that Yooka Laylee and Stardew Valley make it to the Switch within the first year, but again, you should probably just wait to find out. Stardew Valley especially I'll be putting a LOT of time into when it launches

Hakai

Didnt take long for me to Google.

So it looks like you must be a really big fan of Zelda to invalidate these games.

A big list full of names but how much of those were actually great and system sellers?

I'll take Nintendo Land, NSMBU, and Zombi U over a port of something I can get on an existing system every time.

All 3 are good games, I will give this to you but aside from Zombi U none of them impressed people. On the other hand if you don't have a Wii U and want the new Zelda you probably end up buying a Switch.

I have a Wii U and will buy the Switch for Zelda to get a better resolution and to be able to play it on the go.

Ha ha no.

Zelda is a system seller but that's it. All the other games you give a side eye look.

The Wii U had more and higher quality variety.

Assassin's Creed 3.
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge
Scribblenauts Unlimited
Skylanders: Giants
Tekken Tag Tournament 2
ZombiU

The Wii U was in a vastly better shape even though Nintendo sort of dropped the ball with their own first party offerings.

It had more variety but most of these were out before Wii U and the ones that were launching with the system weren't system sellers and/or failed to persuade people into buying a Wii U for.

Wii U launch lineup was solid, it was the following software droughts that killed it. Switch launch lineup is weak but launch window looks pretty good.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Haha, we don't know yet anything. Well, now we know a bit more. Switch just lost an exclusive, FE Warriors.

And in May there is a new FE coming. On 3ds! Yeah, Nintendo teased a FE game for Switch coming in 2019-2020 in compensation. #NotAnIssue

Mirand

So a plausible first party lineup in 2017 for the Switch:

March: Zelda
April: MK8 Deluxe
May: ARMS
June: Mother 3
July/August: Splatoon 2
September: Smash
October: Fire Emblem Warriors
November: Super Mario Odyssey / Pokemon Stars
December: Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I would consider that a success.

Neoxon

At this point, Nintendo could afford to move Super Mario Odyssey to late Summer (since we know it's more-or-less done). Assuming that Eurogamer is on the money, Pokémon Stars alone would be enough for the Switch to print money during the Holidays.

Morts

I hope that Pokemon Stars is real because it's the reason I haven't bought Sun/Moon yet.

Even if they are going to have all of the above, the first three months of the console real needs more to feel worthwhile to me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Super Mario Odyssey and Pokemon Stars in December would be insane.

hoserx

XC 2 in 2017 is not plausible. I know that's what they said.....but I'll eat my hat. Maybe in Japan, but I doubt that too.

Mariolee

At this point, Nintendo could afford to move Super Mario Odyssey to late Summer (since we know it's more-or-less done). Assuming that Eurogamer is on the money, Pokémon Stars alone would be enough for the Switch to print money during the Holidays.

No way, Super Mario is absolutely the perfect Christmas present. Late Summer is perfect for Smash.

Mirand

I don't really care what Eurogamer said, I will actually be kind of surprised if Pokemon Stars is a Switch exclusive.
Yeah, based on FE Warriors being cross-platform with the the N3DS, it seems Nintendo may hedge their bets in the first year or two with Switch software exclusivity.

jonno394

So a plausible first party lineup in 2017 for the Switch:.

My take is as follows

June: Gamecube VC blowout - Three to six GC titles on VC Mario Sunshine and others
July: Splatoon 2
August: Smash Bros
September: Fire Emblem Warriors (Same month as Hyrule Warriors launched)
October: Pokemon Stars
November: Pikmin 4
December: Super Mario Odyssey

Morts

My take is as follows

June: Gamecube VC blowout - Three to six GC titles on VC Mario Sunshine and others
August: Smash Bros
September: Fire Emblem Warriors (Same month as Hyrule Warriors launched)
October: Pokemon Stars
November: Pikmin 4
December: Super Mario Odyssey

They'd be dumb as rocks not to have Mario out alongside their new system before Black Friday in November.

dtm808

Then you wait until more new games come out. Simple as that. For people who didn't get a Wii U (there are plenty) its a great lineup.

guek

Banned

If you're not excited for Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, or a new 3D Mario, there's unfortunately much else to be excited about this year. If those games don't titillate you though, I question why you'd be interested in a nintendo console at all.

Announce Virtual Console plans soon. And let said plans be good.

Unfortunately it looks like the GameCube VC is being put aside again this time around, with the exclusion of analog triggers.

Spy

March: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
June: Super Smash Bros. for Switch
August: Fire Emblem Warriors
September: Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Mario RPG)
October: Pokémon Stars
November: Super Mario Odyssey

I would imagine they'd want Smash Bros. to drop before EVO.

I'm seeing Mother 3 in some of these lists. Did I miss something?

Reggie's gave a vaguely worded statement in an interview that he knows fans want games like Metroid Prime and Mother 3; he followed that with a statement that he thinks fans will be happy with the games Nintendo announces within the next year.

Some people took that as an indication that Mother 3 was happening, while others believed it to be a typical Reggie answer.

killatopak

First year lineup is fantastic. Better than the PS4's first year, from my recollection, hands down. "PS4 HAS NO GAME" was a meme for a reason. Resogun was my favorite PS4 game for waaaayyy too long.

It was in regards to it's first party.

3rd party was on board day 1.

If you're not excited for Arms, Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2, or a new 3D Mario, there's unfortunately much else to be excited about this year. If those games don't titillate you though, I question why you'd be interested in a nintendo console at all.

Tbh i waS hoping for some 3ds like games priced at $40.

March: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
June: Super Smash Bros. for Switch
August: Fire Emblem Warriors
September: Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Mario RPG)
October: Pokémon Stars
November: Super Mario Odyssey

I would imagine they'd want Smash Bros. to drop before EVO.

I would love to be wrong, but Xenoblade has a good chance of being 2017 Japan, 2018 in the US.

This list would be pretty bland, IMO. Really hoping for a surprise or new IP by the fall.

Of course those games excite me, particularly the last 3, but my point is they're not available at launch or close to launch. All the early heavy hitters can be played on the Wii U, which is why I'm compelled to wait.

phanphare

Banned
Tbh i waS hoping for some 3ds like games priced at $40.

I doubt it'll be $40 and I don't know when it'll release but Project Octopath Traveler looks great

I think by 2018 the Switch will have an extremely compelling library for those that choose to wait and by that point there will likely be a bundle or two and perhaps a price drop ahead of the holidays

I always buy consoles day one, but I guess this is the first console I will invest so much money... it feel kinda weird

Console, starter kit, Zelda, bomberman, binding of Isaac, redout, compact playstand and 6 amiibos...
Not to mention whatever is in the eshop at release date (VC or who knows)

USD exchange rate won't help me at all, but oh well

The more I look at the launch window lineup, the happier I am with it.

We're getting the most-anticipated Zelda game since Twilight Princess and a revival of Bomberman on day one.

We're also getting an F-Zero-like racer (Fast RMX), a SimCity-like city simulation game (Construction HD), and a port of The Binding of Issac in March.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is coming in April.

Rime and Puyo Puyo Tetris in May.

Arms, Sonic Mania, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Redout likely sometime in Q2.

Then Splatoon 2 sometime during summer.

It's sounding like a love letter to people who were gamers back in the NES/SNES era. I think it'll definitely please those people. Then we'll see N64-like games like Yooka-Laylee and Mario Odyssey at some point during the year as well. Skyrim will arrive in fall, too, which could be another game for Zelda fans or could attract people to Switch and then to Zelda. That's before I've dug into other stuff like Xenoblade 2 and Smash Bros. which may also make 2017.

They're not building a platform for hardcore players who like the big multiplatform games, but I'll be damned if they aren't building a platform for longtime gamers. Much better than dumping a bunch of multiplatform ports and party games at launch and calling it a day and then wondering why nothing sold at expectations.

I share your sentiment, especially when I don't have much time to play games anymore. Basically, Breath of the Wild and Bomberman can last me for a while, and there are still games like Arms and Splatoon 2 I want to get pre/post E3. The current line-up will keep me busy till FE Warriors and Mario Odyssey. I am very happy about this.

Quick update, since OP doesn't exist:

March 2017
Zelda: BotW (+Special/Master editions) $59.99/$99.99/$129.99
1-2 Switch $49.99
Constructor HD
Fast RMX (that F-zero lookalike from the sizzle)
Has Been Heroes
I Am Setsuna
Just Dance 2017
Shovel Knight
Snipperclips - Cut it out, together! $19.99
Super Bomberman R - $49.99
The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+

April 28, 2017
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe $59.99

Spring 2017
Arms $59.99
Disgaea 5 Complete
Lego City Undercover
Puyo Puyo Tetris (May?)
Redout
Rime (May)
Sonic Mania

Summer 2017
Splatoon 2

Fall 2017
Fire Emblem Warriors
NBA 2k18 (September)
Skyrim

Holiday 2017
Super Mario Odyssey

Project Sonic 2017
Yooka-Laylee

TBD
1001 Spikes
Arcade Archives
Cave Story
Dragonball Z Xenoverse 2
Farming Simulator
FIFA
Fire Emblem (2018)
Minecraft Story Mode The complete adventure
Minecraft
Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence
Project: Octopath Traveler
Rayman Legends Definitive edition
Shin Megami Tensei
Skylanders Imaginators
Siberia 3
Stardrew Valley
Steep
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

March is starting to fill out a bit.

guek

Banned
Of course those games excite me, particularly the last 3, but my point is they're not available at launch or close to launch. All the early heavy hitters can be played on the Wii U, which is why I'm compelled to wait.

Yeah, launch is weaksauce outside of Zelda. I don't fault you for waiting.

On the whole though, I think 2017 is going to be just fine for the Switch's library as long as the holiday lineup continues to be fleshed out.

daxgame

Nintendo just posted this, not sure if something changed.

C2ofqwKUkAAHWST.jpg

Nintendo just posted this, not sure if something changed.

C2ofqwKUkAAHWST.jpg

Just saw that too and posted it in the UK thread aha, Rayman Legends is new to that grid but I do wish they would stop sharing it on social media. It's missing lots of stuff like Binding of Issac (which is a launch title), Shovel Knight and ever a first party game: Fire Emblem Warriors.

It's like they want to look bad.

guek

Banned
Guaranteed purchases
Zelda BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Arms
Splatoon 2

Likely purchases
MK8 Deluxe
Snipperclips
I Am Setsuna

Under consideration
FE Warriors
Skyrim
Ultra SF II
Shovel Knight
Binding of Isaac
Fast RMX
DB Xenoverse 2

Wallet am cry

Looking at the games that have been announced for this year I feel less concerned about the launch line-up. Here are the things that have been announced that I am interested in (all of these dates are just from the wikipedia page so I'm not sure how super accurate they all are):

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 3/03
Super Bomberman R - 3/03 (this still has question marks over it until I see more of the single player content and the multiplayer options. It's not a day one buy, but I'm interested in it)
Fast RMX - March
Has-Been Heroes - March (I'll have to wait until I see more of the game, but the initial concept looks cool. It just depends on customisation and how varied runs can be. Being by the developers of Trine also piques my interest)
I Am Setsuna - March - (Assuming this gets a physical release. If it's digital only I'll just get the PC version)
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 28/04
Arms - May
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Q2
Sonic Mania - Q2 - (Hopefully this gets a physical release, but even if it doesn't it could be a great game to have when using the Switch as a handheld so I'll probably get it here either way)
Splatoon 2 - Q2
Fire Emblem Warriors - Q3
Super Mario Odyssey - Q4
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - 2017 - (This is the only game on this list that I am really sceptical about releasing this year)
Dragon Quest Heroes I & II (Japanese 3/03) - (It's on the Switch in Japan at launch and the translation for I is already done, and the PS4 version of II is almost done so I wouldn't be surprised if this came over this year)
Steamworld Project 2017 - 2017 - (I mean it has 2017 in the name)

That's fifteen games that have already been announced spread out over the next nine months, plus I'm sure we will see new announcements throughout the year.

There are also other games (like Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers, Snipperclips) that I *could* see myself buying, but they're firmly in the maybe column at best.

Hopefully Nintendo have some directs with games launching this year in the coming months. I'm confident their library will get there, but I also came away from the Wii U pretty content with that console's library, so my expectations might not match the average.

MouldyK

-Snip
perclips
-

Mine:

Guaranteed purchases
Zelda BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Arms
Splatoon 2
MK8 Deluxe
Snipperclips
Fast RMX
FE Warriors
Sonic Mania

Likely purchases
Sonic 2017
Ultra SF II

Under consideration
Shovel Knight
I Am Setsuna
Binding of Isaac
DB Xenoverse 2

Tell Me Lies
Skyrim

Wallet am cry

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Did we ever hear anything recent about the supposed Dark Souls Switch port/trilogy? Was it debunked, or is there still reasonable hope?

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Did we ever hear anything recent about the supposed Dark Souls Switch port/trilogy? Was it debunked, or is there still reasonable hope?

I'd be surprised if DS3 wasn't on the switch within a year. Id also be surprised if they were not working on an exclusive.

Top Bottom