• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North American Nintendo Switch Lineup

Jigorath

Banned
This narrative needs to die. The Wii U's first year was fucking abysmal. I lived through it.

The launch was decent. Then four months of nothing.

Then Monster Hunter, Need For Speed, and Lego City Undercover on the same day in late March. Great timing there, guys!

Then nothing until the end of June, with Game & Wario. That's right, another three months of nothing.

Then nothing until August with Pikmin 3.

Then nothing until September with The Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends.

Then nothing until October with The Wind Waker HD.

Then nothing until November with Super Mario 3D World.

Wii U's first twelve months were a complete drag. The first nine months of Switch are already better and Nintendo probably has a few more 2017 titles to announce at E3 or before.

Yeah, the system was never able to gather any momentum because of how awful the release schedule was. By the time the heavy hitters were coming out, it was far too late.

Yeah, the system was never able to gather any momentum because of how awful the release schedule was. By the time the heavy hitters were coming out, it was far too late.

Agreed. I honestly think the console's success would have been drastically different if we got Mario Kart and/or Smash in year 1. NSMB was not a system seller, and that + ZombiU were all I had to play for months. It really soured me on my purchase.

Lots of negativity here, but I can totally understand why.

Personally, I haven't played any games in-depth in ages because I just have too much of a backlog. So I rationalized that Nintendo is doing me a favor with the Switch because of its paper thin release schedule.

Since there's basically nothing to play for long periods of time between releases, it will give me time to play one game a lot until the next big game. So for me, I already pre-ordered knowing this and I plan on playing:

1. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Skyrim
4. Mario Odyssey

4 games is very affordable for the year and probably the only games I play on the Switch. So plenty of time to get familar with these games. Is it sad that two of these games are ports? Kind of, but they're amazing games I wouldn't mind getting into again.

I'm plenty excited for Zelda and Mario as well. Hopefully future release schedules will be much much better for the Switch though.

Coda

Is there a reason that we're all pretending that Xenoblade will actually come out this year?

That game has 2019 written all over it.

2019 is stretching it, not saying it not possible but my guess would be more like 2018 at the latest.

I'm still gonna keep my pre-order. Every day that passes I get more excited about the hardware and promise of the machine. The presentation was kind of a let down for me, but as time has passed I'm at peace with the fact that it's usually how these things go. I remember watching the Xbox 360 reveal and thinking man I'm never going to buy this mainstream over the top console and it turned out to be a great console that I bought a year later.

Also am I the only one who really loves the look of the Pro Controller? It looks so comfortable plus I kind of dig the transparency effect.

nintendo_switch_pro_controller_thumb.jpg

Why can't someone make this an OT and keep it up to date for us pretty please? I would like a one stop location to find out about release announcements and possible launch dates. Man Nintendo HAS to do another presentation, apparently there are games...but they didn't announce them?! As we're discovering new ones all the time....

First page missing Monster Boy and Shantae half hero, Yuka-Laylee?

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I hope Yooka Laylee and Stardew Valley show up on the Switch within a short time of launch. It would suck if they slipped to next year.

Those two along with Zelda and Mario would make this a fantastic year for me.

I'm hoping the Switch gets the same if not better indie support than the Vita, that along with a steady amount of Nintendo games will make this a great console.

Nintendo had better be working hard to try and get games like these in the first few months after launch. They are perfect fits for the platform and since Wii U development had already started, it hopefully isn't too hard to finish that up on the Switch. Imagine if Stardew Valley released on Switch with local co-op.

Nintendo had better be working hard to try and get games like these in the first few months after launch. They are perfect fits for the platform and since Wii U development had already started, it hopefully isn't too hard to finish that up on the Switch. Imagine if Stardew Valley released on Switch with local co-op.

Stardew Valley is already confirmed for the system and Yooka-Laylee is basically confirmed.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Why can't someone make this an OT and keep it up to date for us pretty please? I would like a one stop location to find out about release announcements and possible launch dates. Man Nintendo HAS to do another presentation, apparently there are games...but they didn't announce them?! As we're discovering new ones all the time....

First page missing Monster Boy and Shantae half hero, Yuka-Laylee?

Was half genie hero actually confirmed? First I've heard of it, at least.

Been coming close to canceling my pre-order. There are a ton of games launching this year that I want to play and none of them are gonna be on this thing. There are a few titles I am excited about, but I could always back-log those for when I do get a switch.

Part of me is also wondering if I should potentially just wait for a potential hardware revision that tends to hit Nintendo's handheld generations. I just feel like i'm being price gouged here at multiple angles, and even worse is it feels like i'm being targeted specifically because I really want to play Splatoon & Zelda. Ah well, maybe i'm just not who Nintendo wants to cater to anymore, especially not after we were basically told 'No gimmicky bullshit' in the pitch trailer in October, only to get a presentation laden with gimmicky bullshit.

I may just end up borrowing a friend's Wii U & playing BotW on there instead.

Every one of y'all better buy third party game if the ports are good(especially Skyrim and 2k NBA(I want console NBA on the go))
I intend on buying Skyrim when it drops.

Other than that, I have Bomberman, Disgaea, Binding of Isaac and Redout reserved. Would be nice to see retail confirmation of I Am Setsuna, Dragon Quest Heroes and FAST Racing RMX in the west as well.

Hopefully Yooka-Laylee hits retail too.

Clov

Every one of y'all better buy third party game if the ports are good(especially Skyrim and 2k NBA(I want console NBA on the go))

The only third party games I'm interested in on the platform are Disgaea 5, No More Heroes 3 and Atlus' SMT game. If there's a physical print of Yooka-Laylee, I'll pick that up too.

Morts

I hope Yooka Laylee and Stardew Valley show up on the Switch within a short time of launch. It would suck if they slipped to next year.

Those two along with Zelda and Mario would make this a fantastic year for me.

I'm hoping the Switch gets the same if not better indie support than the Vita, that along with a steady amount of Nintendo games will make this a great console.

I keep wondering about those in relation to the Switch and I don't know why, considering I could play them both on PS4. I would've predicted Stardew Valley would've been at launch.

I like the idea of playing Yooka-Laylee on Switch, but I don't see the point if it doesn't launch the same time as the other versions.

ryan13ts

The launch titles are ok, I don't think that's really an issue. The problem is the lack of any games (confirmed for now) after the launch. The next confirmed game after the launch is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and that's literally almost 2 months later. Droughts like that are what make people second guess their choice and put potential buyers off from purchasing (at least immediately) when it doesn't look like the system will have any software to support it in the immediate future.

I'm really hoping some of those TBA titles fill in the gaps in the post launch window but I don't think it will be this close to release.

witness

I have my preorder in but I might cancel it. I really need to hear that Smash and Mario Maker ports are coming this year. I never owned a Wii U so these ports are a huge selling point. They works be perfect spring and summer titles.

Nerazar

I'm not sure we'd want to see what this game would look or run like on the Switch.

It wouldn't be too bad, but yeah, it is probably not the best fit. We need either coop functionality or a more action-y style like RE4-6.

Still, we don't have any high profile game from Capcom yet. Give us at least Dragon's Dogma D:

I know we complained about Wii U launch year but unless Nintendo blows the doors off at E3 this looks much more dire. I was hoping there'd at least be some more carry-over from 3DS.

I decried Ubisoft, Namco, and EA ports, and I guess they said "Next one won't get any, then"

akileese

Is there a reason that we're all pretending that Xenoblade will actually come out this year?

That game has 2019 written all over it.

Because they say it is and they appear to be marketing it hard for 2017. We'll know more in 4 and a half months when E3 rolls around but I'm of the belief that they deserve benefit of the doubt until they give us a reason to believe it'll be delayed.

If it does get delayed, it'll will almost certainly be a localization issue. That causes most delays for JRPGs. I'll give Monolith Soft the benefit of the doubt on this one. If they didn't think they could hit it this year, they would have given it a TBA release.

I never played I am Setsuna so that would be a good one to play near launch.

I'm probably OK with just Zelda and that at launch. Maybe 1 2 switch if it doesn't get horrible impressions.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
First year lineup is fantastic. Better than the PS4's first year, from my recollection, hands down. "PS4 HAS NO GAME" was a meme for a reason. Resogun was my favorite PS4 game for waaaayyy too long.

Hakai

I know we complained about Wii U launch year but unless Nintendo blows the doors off at E3 this looks much more dire. I was hoping there'd at least be some more carry-over from 3DS.

I decried Ubisoft, Namco, and EA ports, and I guess they said "Next one won't get any, then"

Dude you are getting Zelda day 1, what Wii U had day 1 again?

I agree it is not looking very good right now, but it's better than Wii U easily.

Top Bottom