• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North American Nintendo Switch Lineup

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I just went through the Wii U lineup (not just launch- the entire thing) just to get some perspective and its amazing how horrible it was, both first and third party wise.

IF the 1st party games announced meet their current dates the Switch first party lineup will be much much better than Wii U.

Just for some perspective, Pikmin 3 released nearly 8.5 months after launch and was the biggest 1st party release since launch. By that time in Switch's life cycle you will have Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, and most likely FE Warriors and some other stuff.

You're completely ignoring LCU and MH3U. And 2 months before Wii U's launch also Pikmin 3 was to come right after launch. Notice how many Switch games have no release date set yer? Only MK Deluxe is a safe bet for now.

killroy87

I didn't say it is a bad thing. But if someone owns a Wii U (and many Nintendo fans do), then porting Mario Kart to the Switch doesn't create a huge amount of value.

And Twilight Princess was released on the Wii and GameCube at the same time. Much different to being years apart.

I wasn't referring to your MK8 comment, I was referring to your Zelda comment. You talked about Zelda also being on the Wii U as a bad thing, and I dont see why. Just like Twilight, they are releasing at the same time

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
You're completely ignoring LCU and MH3U. And 2 months before Wii U's launch also Pikmin 3 was to come right after launch. Notice how many Switch games have no release date set yer? Only MK Deluxe is a safe bet for now.

Those were nice games but not exactly heavy hitters. And notice how in my post I very explicitly said "if"

I just went through the Wii U lineup (not just launch- the entire thing) just to get some perspective and its amazing how horrible it was, both first and third party wise.

IF the 1st party games announced meet their current dates the Switch first party lineup will be much much better than Wii U.

Just for some perspective, Pikmin 3 released nearly 8.5 months after launch and was the biggest 1st party release since launch. By that time in Switch's life cycle you will have Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, and most likely FE Warriors and some other stuff.

Switch definitely has a better 1st party lineup, but it's incredible that I feel like western 3rd parties had more faith in Wii U than they have in switch. If we're looking at big 3rd party games, there is nothing until FIFA which might be based on the PS3/360 versions. Ubisoft in particular feels like a huge step down.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Switch definitely has a better 1st party lineup, but it's incredible that I feel like western 3rd parties had more faith in Wii U than they have in switch

Yeah the initial 3rd party Western stuff was decent compared to Switch so far. Of course that was literally the only period with any support other than NFC and LEGO games...

Yeah, it does sound much better on paper versus Wii U.

But remember, when you say if they met their current dates... you used Pikmin 3 as an example, and that was announced for the Spring. W101 was also set for launch window.

EDIT: Even worse, Pikmin 3 was announced as launch window aka before March 31st at the September Wii U event, the equivalent of this January event.

The Wii U had a much better first year lineup.

This narrative needs to die. The Wii U's first year was fucking abysmal. I lived through it.

The launch was decent. Then four months of nothing.

Then Monster Hunter, Need For Speed, and Lego City Undercover on the same day in late March. Great timing there, guys!

Then nothing until the end of June, with Game & Wario. That's right, another three months of nothing.

Then nothing until August with Pikmin 3.

Then nothing until September with The Wonderful 101 and Rayman Legends.

Then nothing until October with The Wind Waker HD.

Then nothing until November with Super Mario 3D World.

Wii U's first twelve months were a complete drag. The first nine months of Switch are already better and Nintendo probably has a few more 2017 titles to announce at E3 or before.

Parapraxis

I'm just very worried once again, for the third party support for this thing. Let's say X1 and PS4 are getting a new game. Can anyone see them downgrading it for switch, or skip the platform entirely?

I to am worried about 3rd parties on Switch.

FIFANintendoSwitch_Entra.jpg

I'm just very worried once again, for the third party support for this thing. Let's say X1 and PS4 are getting a new game. Can anyone see them downgrading it for switch, or skip the platform entirely?

It is obvious third party support will be almost non existent, not sure why people think it will have much third party support. Look at their conference.

udivision

It is obvious third party support will be almost non existent, not sure why people think it will have much third party support. Look at their conference.

Allow me to post an image of a bunch of developer logos which means absolutely nothing but somehow I got fooled into thinking it had meaning because "this time it's different!"

Mory Dunz

This narrative needs to die. The Wii U's first year was fucking abysmal. I lived through it.

Then Monster Hunter, Need For Speed, and Lego City Undercover on the same day in late March. Great timing there, guys!

Then nothing until the end of June, with Game & Wario. That's right, another three months of nothing.

Wii U's first twelve months were a complete drag. The first nine months of Switch are already better and Nintendo probably has a few more 2017 titles to announce at E3 or before.

Yeah, especially 1st party. Wii U had better western 3rd party than the Switch though. Assassin III, Batman, COD, FIFA, Madden, Sonic Racing, Tekken, ZombiU, Skylanders, Just Dance at launch.

The problem was how unappealing the console itself was. And late ports.
But technically the games were there at launch. For Switch? Nope.

How much 3rd party Westerns matters on a Nintendo console though? Eh

edit:
tekken isn't western

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

For me the prospective lineup of Switch and Wii U are pretty even and I mean that in a positive light.

Wii U had 'four months of nothing', but the 12 months as a collective is excellent for my tastes. Telling me you have Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Pikmin 3, TWWHD, 3D World, and MH3U in a 12 month space is magical. I think that stacks up swimmingly with BotW, SMO, Mario Kart, Splatoon and whatever else they sprinkle in.

Switch could end up being better, it's definitely on the table. But I lean on the side of caution when it comes to predicting best case scenarios with Nintendo.

If we really want to complain about software droughts, look at the mid and late life handling of recent consoles. They leave these userbases to die for 12 to 18 months while development as moved on and they have ill planned to sunset the console.

Steiner

Banned
I spoke to the NIS senior director of business development at the Switch event and he said that they were shooting for a spring release for Disgaea 5. Not sure if you want to update the OP and make it look... Not as depressing.

Vena

Could happen eventually, a lot of those guys haven't had kits until recently, or still don't.

Its been obvious for a while that they kept kits close to the chest. I'd not be surprised if we saw some upcoming 3DS games into 2017's later half show up as Switch ports as well. Most 3DS games scale-up well if rendered higher.

Mory Dunz

Its been obvious for a while that they kept kits close to the chest. I'd not be surprised if we saw some upcoming 3DS games into 2017's later half show up as Switch ports as well. Most 3DS games scale-up well if rendered higher.

I still think Mario Sports Superstar should've been a switch launch games. Makes too much sense. It seems to be their sports game going forward considering it has Golf, Tennis, Baseball, Soccer all in one, effectively ending those franchises imo. This is your Mario Sports.

You get a good pick up and play game at launch.
And and added bonus, you have a Mario game at launch.

Plus, Camelot's models for their 3DS games are high tier so they likely scale easy. (Or just use models from Ultra Tennis Smash)

Weird...

Non-indie 3rd party support will be mostly non-existent, how many generations will it take for many people to grasp this? Every gen we hope it's different, that Nintendo somehow change things, but it's not happening. You'll need a Switch and a Xbox/PS/PC to play everything you want to.

We'll get Japanese support, a lot of niche (not bad, just not a major) stuff. But none of the 'heavy hitters' like your Resident Evils etc.

Western support will be less than next to nothing.

This is why I was hoping for a consolidated Nintendo development model, I thought they could probably support decently enough a system by themselves as long as it was just the one system. But it's looking like apparently this isn't the case?? So. *shrugs*

cheesekao

I may not be the biggest Nintendo fan this past decade or so but man, do I feel sorry for them in the 3rd party department. I'm also not really sure why they want to release the Switch in March. Do they really need that injection of cash? A holiday release would give the Switch probably one of the best launch lineups in recent history.

I may not be the biggest Nintendo fan this past decade or so but man, do I feel sorry for them in the 3rd party department. I'm also not really sure why they want to release the Switch in March. Do they really need that injection of cash? A holiday release would give the Switch probably one of the best lineups in recent history.

The longer they wait to release this console, the more mindshare they lose. 2017 would be a barren wasteland for them without it and they've already killed Wii U months and months ago. They'd also have to delay Zelda even further, because, as much as GAF is downplaying it at the moment, they need that game to launch the same day on Switch as Wii U. And the game has already been delayed far more than anyone would like.

Random thought about this.

Just dance by Unisoft and skylanders by Activision don't have much competition on launch day of the console.

They should have a decently high attachment rate at launch, keeping them happy.

Nintendo makes third party publishers happy.

Nintendo gets third party support.

Nintendo is genuis?

Amiibro

In addition to a lot of the major first party titles, I think I Am Setsuna makes a great fit for the Switch. Probably gonna pick that up since I don't own it yet.

Is there any chance this is on cartridge? I own it on PS4 but I'd double dip for a case and cartridge

Mario Kart is full price? Nintendo can go and fuck off.

Mario Kart + all DLC characters and tracks +new characters + revamped battle mode + battle mode maps.

If it was just the original Mario kart 8, yes the outrage would he justified. But all things considered, I don't mind paying full price for this.

cheesekao

The longer they wait to release this console, the more mindshare they lose. 2017 would be a barren wasteland for them without it and they've already killed Wii U months and months ago. They'd also have to delay Zelda even further, because, as much as GAF is downplaying it at the moment, they need that game to launch the same day on Switch as Wii U. And the game has already been delayed far more than anyone would like.
How much more mindshare could they possibly lose at this point? The Wii U has been a wasteland since 2016. Sure, there have been some first party games of varying quality but in terms of overall software it's the worst of all the years the Wii U has been out.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

From after launch until Fall (6 months) you get just 3 exclusive out of which a Wii U port.

The only difference is that there might be better spaced than Wii U's.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
From after launch until Fall (6 months) you get just 3 exclusive out of which a Wii U port.

The only difference is that there might be better spaced than Wii U's.

Some of the TBD on the OP's list could be before Fall. For instance we know Disgaea 5 and Puyo Puyo Tetris are Spring 2017, though that info isn't on Nintendo's site yet, and ports are more significant than usual since the switch is portable.

But yeah, the switch's first year as a whole is still pretty weak and way too similar to the Wii U's.

Probably get
Zelda
Bomber man
Splatoon 2
Mario O
Xenoblade 2
NBA 2k 18(everyone buy this please if it's good port)
FIFA (same for this if it is decent)
Snipperclips
Not bad for first year for me.
Also could some of the yearly games not be announced yet like the new CoD having a chance?

I keep going back and forth but I think I have to cancel my preorder, there's just no games in the first year except ports of games I've already played. Maybe by christmas they'll be a bundle that's worthwhile and I can get that instead.

I keep looking for something to justify but with the lack of backwards comparability I can't even play old stuff in the mean time like I could on WiiU.

I hope Yooka Laylee and Stardew Valley show up on the Switch within a short time of launch. It would suck if they slipped to next year.

Those two along with Zelda and Mario would make this a fantastic year for me.

I'm hoping the Switch gets the same if not better indie support than the Vita, that along with a steady amount of Nintendo games will make this a great console.

hatchx

Banned
Is there a reason that we're all pretending that Xenoblade will actually come out this year?

That game has 2019 written all over it.

They said it was 2017? It's based on XCX tech. XCX finished in 2014. I think there's good reason to think it could make it's Japanese planned date this year, and follow-up next year in NA.

Top Bottom