• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Northeast Championship (NEC) XII | Fighting game tournament | December 3-4

Dahbomb

LOL @ THAT WESKER SUNGLASSES TAUNT TO END THE TEAMS!!!!

WHAT A FITTING END!!!

tumblr_lpzq0pt4lG1r0w2obo1_500.jpg

Good shit though the matches were filled with so much clutch, nerves, tension, mind games, smart reads and capitalizing on mistakes. A very godlike grand finals teams but in the end the most solid Marvel player wins on the East Coast.

Uncle AJ

That was the lamest grand finals match ever. Herp derp too afraid to go in for combos and any combos that did start were dropped. Chris G was even resorting to mashing cr.L with Ryu, Xbox Live style.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
That was the lamest grand finals match ever. Herp derp too afraid to go in for combos and any combos that did start were dropped. Chris G was even resorting to mashing cr.L with Ryu, Xbox Live style.

Go beat Chris G. Wait you probably cant, please shut the fuck up. Chris G was playing really god like. The game isn't all about MASH MASH MASH ATTTAAAAAAAAACK. Specially not for ryu.

Dahbomb

My heart rate is still slowly coming down. Definitely need to take a nap before singles.

Team composition of Top 3 Grand finals:

Magneto: 4

Wesker: 3

Akuma: 2
Sentinel: 2
Ryu: 2

Zero: 1
Dormammu: 1
Amaterasu: 1
X-23: 1
Dante: 1
Hawkeye: 1
Firebrand: 1
Felicia: 1
Super Skrull: 1
Taskmaster: 1
Deadpool: 1
Vergil: 1
Nova: 1
Iron Fist: 1
C Viper: 1
Nemesis: 1

About 30 different characters used with good spread. A lot of insanely good characters not represented here didn't make it like Spencer, Doom, Strider, Wolverine etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It's been great, GAF. I think I'll willingly rock myself to sleep instead of using AE to do it.

NEC <3 <3 <3

I hate to break it to you, but that was some good honest fightan right there.
It's been great, GAF. I think I'll willingly rock myself to sleep instead of using AE to do it.

NEC <3 <3 <3
*nods approvingly*

Dahbomb

That was the very OPPOSITE of herp derp. The matches were boiling down to mind games, footsies, space control, meter management, life management, time management, assist usage, throw teching and basically every aspect of high level Marvel play there is. The fact that players were spacing each other out like that meant they were operating on high level yomi. ChrisG wasn't mashing L, he was staggering the block strings to bait out X factor cancels and also for frame traps which worked a bunch of times as well as to bait advance guard.

It was MILES ahead of anything seen in vanilla because vanilla usually boiled down to whoever got the first hit -> activate X Factor -> perform invisible mix up and kill them while x factor still running -> blow meter on the last character. In this game while you can kill the first character you don't have meter remaining to kill the next and then it becomes a constant battle of spacing and mixups. It's only a shame that the game boils a bit too often to X factor anchor battles but within the grand finals players showed more control over dealing with Weskers even laming him out. Smart play always trumps derp play.

Dropped combos happen all the time... nerves get to the best of players. What's important was that mistakes were punished and matches won over this as they should be.

As hype as the team matches were they lasted entirely too long. Glad its finally over but its too bad we wont be seeing any singles action. Guess its time to catch up on some TTT2 and KOFXIII action from the 8wayrun stream.

Dahbomb

So anyone know what the schedule is and when Singles will be? I am looking at the schedule in the OP and it makes no sense now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That was the very OPPOSITE of herp derp. The matches were boiling down to mind games, footsies, space control, meter management, life management, time management, assist usage, throw teching and basically every aspect of high level Marvel play there is. The fact that players were spacing each other out like that meant they were operating on high level yomi. ChrisG wasn't mashing L, he was staggering the block strings to bait out X factor cancels and also for frame traps which worked a bunch of times as well as to bait advance guard.

It was MILES ahead of anything seen in vanilla because vanilla usually boiled down to whoever got the first hit -> activate X Factor -> perform invisible mix up and kill them while x factor still running -> blow meter on the last character. In this game while you can kill the first character you don't have meter remaining to kill the next and then it becomes a constant battle of spacing and mixups. It's only a shame that the game boils a bit too often to X factor anchor battles but within the grand finals players showed more control over dealing with Weskers even laming him out. Smart play always trumps derp play.

Dropped combos happen all the time... nerves get to the best of players. What's important was that mistakes were punished and matches won over this as they should be.
This man knows what's up.

I wouldn't say it's miles ahead of Vanilla, but it sure was a constant stream of a high level of play we rarely saw in Vanilla, one where TOD combos andglitches were not of utmost importance and neither was the Phoenix metagame.

At SB:V, Huoshen and people helped "in" towards what we have now, the more intelligent, less bullshit (yes, even with Wesker) kind of play. I hope this lasts.

Man, most of the commentary all day has been awful. There's a difference between having fun and being informative and just being random and annoying.

I actually think the commentary for the day was above average. Healthy dose of Yipes and Ski/DNyce were pretty much kept in check. I do hope we get some Chris Hu or Arturo tomorrow.

I can't really complain though, these guys do this shit for free. ESPN this is not.

I actually think the commentary for the day was above average. Healthy dose of Yipes and Ski/DNyce were pretty much kept in check. I do hope we get some Chris Hu or Arturo tomorrow.

I can't really complain though, these guys do this shit for free. ESPN this is not.

Chris Matrix was in there as well, certainly went up in my books for how he hung with Yipes. It's just a shame that we're now stuck with Ski.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Yep, FGC <3.

Actually, the only reason I'm still monitoring this thread is in case of Rush Hour/Jaha.

Uncle AJ

Holy shit guys. I couldn't beat Chris G or DJ Houshen on my best day, but neither you could any of you. Chill out.

http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/301650386 <-- 1:38:03. Just making sure we're all talking about the same match here. Specifically, after both players pop their X-Factor, and Ryu has no meter, so I'm sitting there watching Ryu and Skrull duck in and out of eachother for about 40 seconds straight. The crowd noise started to deflate at that point, so I was like "Man this is pretty lame, the crowd was all excited before this match started and so was I." And sure enough it went to a timeout victory. It could have been more exciting. That's all I'm saying.

Does Ski sleep next to the streaming equipment? Dude is a like a vulture, always hanging around waiting to pounce on an open mic, lol.

We need more Guard Crush regulars on the mic, RUSH HOUR should be a no-brainer.

Top Bottom