• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norways Labour Party drops "Yes to EU" in their new party program

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

Have no idea how many Norwegians there are here interested in this news or anyone at all, but considering the Norwegian Labour Party (Norways biggest party, not in government) has for the first time in many many years dropped a "Yes to EU" in their new party program, I guess it might be big news news for some.

What has happened is that the previous sentence in the program "EU membership would be an advantage for Norway" has been completely removed.

It's a few days old, but for some reason gained traction in social media today (FB): http://www.aftenposten.no/norge/politikk/Ap-dropper-a-sla-fast-at-partiet-er-for-EU-614607b.html

For any english readers that care, a google translate link.

Woorloog

Banned
I wonder, is this because they actually stopped thinking it would be good, or if they're simply too uncertain about the future of EU at the moment?

Oh, and are they left or right party?

fantomena

I wonder, is this because they actually stopped thinking it would be good, or if they're simply too uncertain about the future of EU at the moment?

I don't have the numbers, but I think the stance against EU is growing, not just among Labour voters, but in Norway i ngeneral.. All the other leftists parties (SV/Sosialistic Leftparty, Rødt/Red and SP/Centerpartiet) has all forever been very much against EU, Schengen and EEA.

Centerpartiet which is the strongest anti-EU, anti-trade party which is a leftist party has gained a lot of traction in the polls (stable at 10% right now).

Depressive fact: The only place there's currently a plural for EU is in the parliament. Norwegians are overwhelm against EU.

Labour Party is a leftist party.

Worth noting that Norway is not a member of the EU proper, but instead has a free trade agreement with it is part of the European Economic Area. I'm guessing that the logic here is to wait and see how Brexit shakes out.

[Edit] Or that wanting to join the EU doesn't have popular support, that works too.

Mivey

I mean, not that joining the EU would make a great difference for Norway. Still have to comply with a lot of EU laws and regulations anyway, to have access to the single market. So it's really just an idealogical stance.

Wollan

Over 80% was against joining the EU in a recent polling (edit: 71% in the poll linked above).

1995 was the last time it was voted on and 52.2% were against.

53.5% was against it in 1972.

Labour party is leftist but has been leaning more rightwards lately.

EU membership wasn't really on the table anytime soon regardless, as there is too much opposition even in the major parties. And the EEA agreement works fine for most already, any serious talks about full membership would just launch a brutal, divisive political fight that few particularly want.

I seem to remember the (former?) Norwegian prime minister saying that Norway basically is a member of the EU, except for the fact that it doesn't have any say in the parliament, commission, council etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom