• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Telegraph: Tory and Labour MPs plot secret deal to ensure soft Brexit

Joni

There is no real process for exiting the EU anyway everyone is making it up as they go along. Article 50 does very little to detail the withdrawal process especially considering the amount of work that needs to be done.

Article 50 was never meant to be used, it was just meant to appease EU haters that the EU wasn't a mafia or something.

There is however one huge difference: Article 50 exists with the idea to make it clear to everyone that the possibility exists but that you would have to be braindead to use it. There is no revoke Article 50 one.

Sure revoking Art.50 has never been tested but the EU have been very clear "no" Brexit or a hard Brexit. Even today they've told news agencies that the UK has an open door back into the EU.

The UK might be able revoke Article 50, however...

Yes. It is going to require so much work to get everyone to accept Britain going back on its word, so do you think they would accept it from a PM who is fucking off? The EU is going to require someone that actually has political capital to sign off on it. You could call Article 50 and then quit your job. You won't be able to do that on revoking it.

Calabi

I dont understand I thought the EU already clarified that there is no soft brexit. I mean theirs the exits talks which are about the exit which arent about any new deals.

So whatever the case the UK goes on World Trade Tarrif's and the consequences of being on its own then they try and form a deal which will take years.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I'm not really sure why the EU should allow a soft Brexit. It seems to me that the long term political and economic value of certainty within the union exceeds the short term economic value of increased trade or mobility with the UK. This will be minorly inconvenient for Britons in Europe and Europeans in Britain for now, but I think most of them explain this lunacy has been caused by the UK's bizarre self-defeating behaviour.

A norway type deal, where the UK pays up the same dues but has no voting rights?
Why wouldn't the EU really, really like that?

Maztorre

This shit keeps wages low and cost of living high, it's not good for the people here.

What keeps your wages low is deliberately pursuing a low skill, low wage economy, because attempting to raise the possibility of skills and training investment is met with garbage about "magic money trees". Easier for successive governments to kick it into the long grass and use both EU and non-EU migration to make up the skills gap, especially in careers like nursing, that are given utterly contemptuous salaries, on top of funding cuts that discourage anyone from actually pursuing it domestically.

Top Bottom