• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not a fan of BG3, but I DO hope this sends a message to AAA JRPG game devs.

EDMIX

Japan would dead ass charge you full price, only have voice acting with a handful of the cast and have you reading walls of text

NewGUNDAMBREAKER_20180711212625.jpg

but hey, why would we want a fully animated JRPG that looked and actually ANIMIATED like an Anime?

Silly right.

There money is better spent on these non dynamic, cheap cut outs, cause um........yea.

So let me make this as clear as can be made. I'm not suggesting those games stop having some Anime art direction, I'm suggesting they spend the fucking budget actually supporting that narrative by fully animating the game like an Anime in the first place and have it fully voice acted, not part of it, cause they fucking asses are not getting PART of my money, they are charging full price for a lt of these JRPGs, that are rarely fully voiced, rarely FULLLY animated and production values full of cheap short cuts.

So maybe they wouldn't fail as much , if they actually spent the money on better production value instead of this cheap, copy and paste cut out shit with text under a box with 40% voice acting. I don't want to hear shit about how anyone thinking BG3 is "safe", when they'll praise these generic copy and paste cut-outs, as if those pictures are some deep technological advancement or something lol

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I don't think BG3 being turn based is exactly why it did so well but an accumulation of its systems that give player choice like no other. Turn based combat allowed you to take time and think through each situation carefully. I think it at least says that turn base gameplay isn't dead or doesn't have to be dated. Personally, I would not want a Dragon Quest or Pokémon kind of turn based in 2023. BG3's turn base gameplay is a lot different and a lot more complex and involved. The game also had very high production value which helps a lot.
Seriously, the combat of BG3 is only a small part of its appeal, and that combat is as different as you can get from any turn-based JRPG I’ve played. It’s nonsensical to say this is a message to JRPG devs that they should make more turn based games.
Might as well say that Cyberpunk 2077 sends the message that JRPGs should have action combat.

Anyway turn-based JRPG purists have had this persecution complex for decades now. They imagine there’s some conspiracy to eliminate turn based games for good. Every single time a turn-based game launches to moderate success (and there have been tons of them) they see it as some great victory and vindication for “team turn-based”, and make some huge deal about it proving all those imaginary naysayers wrong.

The ridiculous OP only makes sense in light of that. They’re pushing a narrative that BG3’s success is a victory against their imaginary anti-turn-based oppressors.

KXVXII9X

I think something that we may need to come to terms with is that we might not see the influences of games like Elden Ring and BG3 for years.

Breath of the Wild came out in 2017. Genshin Impact started development in 2017 inspired by BOTW and released in 2020. It took 3 years.

Elden Ring came out in 2022 and BG3 came out in 2023.

The type of games we're looking to play from JRPG makers probably won't come out for another 4-7 years from BG3.

So we're looking at 2027-2030 to see if Square Enix and others have really learned anything.

But what has Vision of Mana learned from Breath of the Wild? It's still cross gen for SOME reason and it looks WORSE than BOTW a game that came out 6 years ago...

Compare both trailers

I love Zelda BotW/TotK but you are off your rocker. Visions of Mana has much higher resolution and detail. It is a lot more vibrant and even more stylized, but it definitely doesn't look worse in the slightest. It looks a generation ahead visually. Zelda Botw/TotK outmatches even most current gen games when it comes to physics and world interactivity. It is also why it looks so good. It also has great lighting for the system it's on.

KXVXII9X

Seriously, the combat of BG3 is only a small part of its appeal, and that combat is as different as you can get from any turn-based JRPG I’ve played. It’s nonsensical to say this is a message to JRPG devs that they should make more turn based games.
Might as well say that Cyberpunk 2077 sends the message that JRPGs should have action combat.

Anyway turn-based JRPG purists have had this persecution complex for decades now. They imagine there’s some conspiracy to eliminate turn based games for good. Every single time a turn-based game launches to moderate success (and there have been tons of them) they see it as some great victory and vindication for “team turn-based”, and make some huge deal about it proving all those imaginary naysayers wrong.

The ridiculous OP only makes sense in light of that. They’re pushing a narrative that BG3’s success is a victory against their imaginary anti-turn-based oppressors.
I get annoyed by it too. I do like turn based gameplay though. We have gotten so much turn based games in the last 5 years, so it always shocks me when people act like turn based games are rare or not supported. Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth is one of the biggest games of 2024 and it fully turn based. We have Metaphor, Unicorn Overlord, DecaPolice, Persona 3R, Suikoden AND Eiyuden Chronicles, Disgaea 7, Octopath Traveler 2, Darkest Dungeon 2, P5 Tactica, Fire Emblem Engage, BG3, Dragon Quest Monsters Dark Prince, Sea of Stars (won best indie of 2023), etc. That is just some of the recent ones.

If turn based combat was the case, I think Divinity Original Sin 2 would have caught on as I slightly prefer the combat. BG3, built from DoS2 and made a game with MUCH higher production values which helped it reach broader appeal. It also seemed to double down on complex choices and scenarios creating some of the best cases of player freedom. It is so much more than just its combat.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Japan would dead ass charge you full price, only have voice acting with a handful of the cast and have you reading walls of text

NewGUNDAMBREAKER_20180711212625.jpg

but hey, why would we want a fully animated JRPG that looked and actually ANIMIATED like an Anime?

Silly right.

There money is better spent on these non dynamic, cheap cut outs, cause um........yea.

So let me make this as clear as can be made. I'm not suggesting those games stop having some Anime art direction, I'm suggesting they spend the fucking budget actually supporting that narrative by fully animating the game like an Anime in the first place and have it fully voice acted, not part of it, cause they fucking asses are not getting PART of my money, they are charging full price for a lt of these JRPGs, that are rarely fully voiced, rarely FULLLY animated and production values full of cheap short cuts.

So maybe they wouldn't fail as much , if they actually spent the money on better production value instead of this cheap, copy and paste cut out shit with text under a box with 40% voice acting. I don't want to hear shit about how anyone thinking BG3 is "safe", when they'll praise these generic copy and paste cut-outs, as if those pictures are some deep technological advancement or something lol
if they go this route, I hope they first get some really great writers and editors. A lot of JRPG dialog is so bad and excessively wordy, they are doing us a favor by not making it fully voiced/mo-capped

#MFFGA.
Make Final Fantasy Great Again.

As much as it hurts it won’t happen for the foresable future.

SE would need a complete overhaul of their board of directors, executives, senior leaders and staff to start again from the scratch.

Company is a complete mess from partnerships to greenlighing useless new ips, entries, countless ports, remasters and remakes.

It won’t happen unless they finally hit the bottom, I don’t really think an acquisition would make them bring back better old times

Last edited:

Denton

Yeah, never really got into CRPGs. I find the combat too slow with having to worry about positioning, and don't find it enjoyable.
I don't get it, you say you love TB but cannot play BG3 because it is TB.

Personally I do not particularly love TB, but I did enjoy BG3 and Jagged Alliance 3 this year, both are not too slow to be annoying. And BG3 plays great in third person.

Exentryk

I don't get it, you say you love TB but cannot play BG3 because it is TB.

Personally I do not particularly love TB, but I did enjoy BG3 and Jagged Alliance 3 this year, both are not too slow to be annoying. And BG3 plays great in third person.
I like turn-based that doesn't involve positioning/movement/tactics-style systems. So I mostly enjoy JRPGs like say Bravely, Octopath, etc, but don't like FF Tactics, XCOM, Triangle Strategy, etc. Hope that explains it a little better.

sigmaZ

The main thing to learn from BG3 is not the turn based aspect but world design. Every inch of the match is there for a reason and it connects with other components of the game. JRPGs mostly suck these days because of the copy paste questing and useless monologues of NPCs. I was more into JRPGs back when characters just said what needed to be said and you encountered content through genuine exploration. Even Totk and BotW missed the mark a bit on this. In BG3 I knew when I came across something it had meaning for being there and I had to carefully weigh the consequences of my action. Thus it easily held my attention for 200 some odd hours throughout my first playthrough.

Phase

Xenoblade 3 is really good despite not being traditional turn based. It's ATB based with free movement, and I'm really enjoying it so far. I'm late to it but it's my favorite game to play this year
I stopped playing Ni no kuni despite loving the beginning because I instantly hated the battle system. Either give me full action-rpg control or make it turn based.

Lokaum D+

Go back to making your games turn based. It's really hard to argue against or not notice a turn based rpg winning GOTY and selling between 21 to 30+ million copies. (Can't find exact numbers, maybe someone smarter than I am can help with this)

Congrats on the win.
Yeah, i dont think they ll or need to do this.

4Ufmvdk.jpg

2b6agzgihmj81.jpg
looks-like-elden-ring-has-reached-20-million-copies-sold-in-v0-w6i02rib2qja1.jpg

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Outside of Final Fantasy, oddly enough, Square Enix has gone back to their roots with their HD 2D stuff.

Shut0wen

As much as i like turned based combat the message should really be make your turn based combat more innovative, BG3 combat is literally the same as divinity original sin series except with a 100 million budget, im glad the combat is way more out there then it was with divinity but i wouldnt want action rpgs to go away, im still gunna give bioware a third and final chance with dragon age, i hope witcher 4 isnt watered down to appeal the masses and im excited to see where monolith takes xenoblade since they have announced that they are done with the original combat

Shut0wen

Outside of Final Fantasy, oddly enough, Square Enix has gone back to their roots with their HD 2D stuff.
Lets be honest there hd 2d stuff isnt really square going back to its root when final fantasy isnt turn based anymore, there 2d stuff is just great games made for a quick buck

bender

What time is it?
Lets be honest there hd 2d stuff isnt really square going back to its root when final fantasy isnt turn based anymore, there 2d stuff is just great games made for a quick buck

You can classify them as you like but I hope they continue down this path if we get the likes of Live A Live, Octopath Traveler 2 , Star Ocean Second Story, and Triangle Strategy. We wouldn't get these types of titles if they had the budget of a Final Fantasy as they just don't garner enough sales but this is exactly the development strategy that I've been hoping others would adopt. Smaller budgets with more modest sales targets that will let you turn a profit. Not everything needs massive budget with the hopes of moving 10 million units.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Another thing about BG3 combat is every battle is unique, they each take place on different terrain against a different set of enemies. And you have a gazillion tools at your disposal, with almost unlimited ways to solve the puzzle creatively.

Contrast that with turn-based JRPGs where the entire genre is designed around battling the same damn group of enemies over and over, to the point where you know how the battle will play out before the first move most of the time. It’s almost always a waste of time to do anything but direct damage abilities unless you’re fighting a boss. The “strategy” rarely gets more sophisticated than “use the element that this enemy is weak against”.

We actually do have some JRPGs that are a bit closer to BG3 with their combat. We call them SRPGs because they’re so different they don’t even fit into the same genre. And these aren’t the kind of games that people like OP are imagining when they cry about FF not being turn based anymore.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Another thing about BG3 combat is every battle is unique, they each take place on different terrain against a different set of enemies. And you have a gazillion tools at your disposal, with almost unlimited ways to solve the puzzle creatively.

Contrast that with turn-based JRPGs where the entire genre is designed around battling the same damn group of enemies over and over, to the point where you know how the battle will play out before the first move most of the time. It’s almost always a waste of time to do anything but direct damage abilities unless you’re fighting a boss. The “strategy” rarely gets more sophisticated than “use the element that this enemy is weak against”.

We actually do have some JRPGs that are a bit closer to BG3 with their combat. We call them SRPGs because they’re so different they don’t even fit into the same genre. And these aren’t the kind of games that people like OP are imagining when they cry about FF not being turn based anymore.
there are some turn based jrpgs that are actually pretty strategic and fun with the gameplay though like Earthbound and Shin Megami Tensei (not Persona) they're difficult and force you to make hard decisions in order to survive.

If your turn based gameplay isn't gonna be on a grid it should at the very least be hard so it isn't a snorefest.

Being turn based wouldn’t help modern jrpg’s. They have awful world building and awful writing but maybe they can learn how to write a good story and build an interesting world from BG3.

TBF isn't a lot of Baldur Gate's worldbuilding pulled from DnD? Most JRPGs are only loosely inspired by DnD and even Tolkien, but games like Baldur's Gate are effectively DnD tabletop campaigns/worlds adapted to video game form, with original characters and stories thrown in.

In a way BG has it easier than some JRPGs that have to establish their own worlds, lore, game systems/mechanics, magic systems etc. basically from scratch minus some loose DnD & Tolkien influences, or more obvious influences from Dragon Quest & Final Fantasy (which themselves drew a lot from Ultima & Wizardry...which drew from DnD).

Basically there's less degrees of separation between BG3 and DnD vs. most JRPGs and DnD. So if DnD is the ultimate source, BG has closer access than most other games so more of the backend stuff is already "done" for it.

Fredrik

Been playing for 8 hours now, PC/Xbox. The dnd rules combined with turn-based combat makes it play very differently compared to JRPGs. For me personally it’s a complex game, too complex is my thought right now but I guess I just need to go through some guides. It’s on a whole other level compared to everything I’ve played before in depth, makes FF feel like kids games.

Point and click controls is not my thing though, for me a controller feels better during exploration but the mouse is better for everything else because there is an insane amount of menus and icons, making it stumble on playability everywhere. Installing on Steam Deck right now for a touch and stick combo.

The roleplaying is amazing anyhow. And seeing the dice rolls is such a brilliant addition to the genre.

Not blown away yet but I assume it gets better when I understand more, right now I just feel like I missed on the intelligence roll
Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Last edited:

Larxia

I think it really shouldn't be compared to the turn based from JRPGs like mentionned in this thread.
I never liked turn based combats in jrpgs, I always found them tedious, repetitive, boring, and the whole "but it's strategic" argument always felt like a huge joke to me.

I absolutely loved Baldur's Gate 3. It's a completely different type of turn based and it's not comparable at all. The most obvious thing to me is that in Baldur's Gate 3, each encounter is UNIQUE. You will never play the same combat twice, if an ennemy is dead, he is dead, forever, ennemies don't respawn, and you decide if you want to kill them or not. Even the combats are part of the whole choice / consequence design of the combat, there is no grind, it's just exploration and discovery and moral choices. That's without even mentionning the whole systemic aspect of the gameplay with all the elemental reactions, the variety of actions you can do, play with the environment, use different tricks etc... Games like Baldur's Gate 3 actually have the exact same gameplay in and out of combats, the combats remain part of the exploration in a way, which is a totally different design from JRPGs.

(I'm not making this post to hate on JRPGs, I played plenty of JRPGs, I've just never been a fan of the combats and as far as I'm concerned these combats could die and I wouldn't care, while I was very interested in BG3 combats. I mostly wanted to point out that the combats from these two genres, while both turn based, can't be compared at all)

Last edited:

Larxia

Point and click controls is not my thing though, for me a controller feels better during exploration but the mouse is better for everything else because there is an insane amount of menus and icons, making it stumble on playability everywhere. Installing on Steam Deck right now for a touch and stick combo.
I totally agree with you and there is a perfect fix for this, a mod called WASD:

This mod made the experience perfect for me, it makes it play more like dragon age origins or kotor. You can control your character directly with WASD, like when playing with a controller, but you retain all the rest of the gameplay from mouse and keyboard, and it automatically switches back to camera control instead of movement when entering combats (since you wouldn't be able to move directly in combats anyway), it's super well done and feels like an official feature, which I'm really surprised isn't a thing.

You can also press caps lock button if you want to manually switch between camera control / character control at any point. The mod also includes a walk button if you want to walk instead of run, as well as a feature to hide mouse cursor when rotating camera etc...

Calverz

I never understood why SE developed the system for ff12 to then completely abandon it. With some tweaks, it could easily be used now to provide strategy and depth to battles.

Vblad88

I never understood why SE developed the system for ff12 to then completely abandon it. With some tweaks, it could easily be used now to provide strategy and depth to battles.
Nah, it’s fine as it is. More complexity would make the game a fancy programming 101 course.

Fredrik

I totally agree with you and there is a perfect fix for this, a mod called WASD:

This mod made the experience perfect for me, it makes it play more like dragon age origins or kotor. You can control your character directly with WASD, like when playing with a controller, but you retain all the rest of the gameplay from mouse and keyboard, and it automatically switches back to camera control instead of movement when entering combats (since you wouldn't be able to move directly in combats anyway), it's super well done and feels like an official feature, which I'm really surprised isn't a thing.

You can also press caps lock button if you want to manually switch between camera control / character control at any point. The mod also includes a walk button if you want to walk instead of run, as well as a feature to hide mouse cursor when rotating camera etc...
Sounds interesting thanks I’ll give that a go.

I’m halfway through the install on Steam Deck on my lousy internet now, ”only” a couple hours left…
Guessing it’ll be heavily downgraded playing natively on the Deck but it has the ✅ so I have to try it.

Sidenote, got it on Xbox as well and saves are perfectly synced through the cloud with a Larian account. Awesome! Unfortunately GS/achievements aren’t retroactively added so playing on both platforms will mess up the progression reward list. Not important I guess but not ideal.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
there are some turn based jrpgs that are actually pretty strategic and fun with the gameplay though like Earthbound and Shin Megami Tensei (not Persona) they're difficult and force you to make hard decisions in order to survive.

If your turn based gameplay isn't gonna be on a grid it should at the very least be hard so it isn't a snorefest.
The thing about turn based JRPGs is that if you try to crank up the difficulty it often just makes them more tedious. You end up solving the same puzzle over and over. You can add all sorts of mechanics and make it super punishing when you fuck up and that might make it really challenging and engaging…. for a bit. But when the game is based around dungeons where you fight dozens of battles against the same couple enemy groups, battles become an obnoxious chore.

If you like the “you stand on one side, enemies stand on the other, and you take turns hitting each other” type battle systems then more power to you. I used to love those games but I can’t stand them anymore, and cranking up the difficulty just makes it worse. The only way I can stomach them is if there’s an auto battle option to quickly get you through most of the grunt enemies. But I strongly prefer something with real time battles (either action, or something like Xenoblade or FFXIII), or else give me a proper SRPG with unique battles, terrain, character positioning, etc.

Madonis

BG3 giving you a ton of options in combat certainly helped, but it wasn't the driving factor. Just a contributing one.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
The thing about turn based JRPGs is that if you try to crank up the difficulty it often just makes them more tedious. You end up solving the same puzzle over and over. You can add all sorts of mechanics and make it super punishing when you fuck up and that might make it really challenging and engaging…. for a bit. But when the game is based around dungeons where you fight dozens of battles against the same couple enemy groups, battles become an obnoxious chore.

If you like the “you stand on one side, enemies stand on the other, and you take turns hitting each other” type battle systems then more power to you. I used to love those games but I can’t stand them anymore, and cranking up the difficulty just makes it worse. The only way I can stomach them is if there’s an auto battle option to quickly get you through most of the grunt enemies. But I strongly prefer something with real time battles (either action, or something like Xenoblade or FFXIII), or else give me a proper SRPG with unique battles, terrain, character positioning, etc.
Harder battles means more resources spent, which means less resources. Less resources mean more strategizing. It can be pretty stressful when one of your party members is on 2hp and you've got no healing equipment. It isn't always the same song and dance for every situation.

Now that's obviously bigger with a grid SRPG style, but let's be real- JRPG developers aren't gonna make that their main style in a million years. Final fantasy turned that SRPG tactics gameplay into a SIDE series of all things. They don't have any plans of making the next FF's combat system like BG3 especially when it'd probably cause similar outrage from the JRPG purists who "don't want to play CRPGs", even if said system might be objectively better in the pursuit of strategic and slow methodical gameplay.

JRPGs also have dozens of small, menial battles that take up your time for 30sec-2 min and then fuck off. Implementing that in an SRPG style would be kind of hard to do well, since that style leans towards longer and larger scale turn based battles.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Harder battles means more resources spent, which means less resources. Less resources mean more strategizing. It can be pretty stressful when one of your party members is on 2hp and you've got no healing equipment. It isn't always the same song and dance for every situation.

Now that's obviously bigger with a grid SRPG style, but let's be real- JRPG developers aren't gonna make that their main style in a million years. Final fantasy turned that SRPG tactics gameplay into a SIDE series of all things. They don't have any plans of making the next FF's combat system like BG3 especially when it'd probably cause similar outrage from the JRPG purists who "don't want to play CRPGs", even if said system might be objectively better in the pursuit of strategic and slow methodical gameplay.

JRPGs also have dozens of small, menial battles that take up your time for 30sec-2 min and then fuck off. Implementing that in an SRPG style would be kind of hard to do well, since that style leans towards longer and larger scale turn based battles.
Fair enough, I pretty much agree with everything you said. There are many JRPGs where it’s not so much about winning individual battles as about managing your resources so you can make it through the marathon of battles.

Re. The possibility of FF having BG3 style battles… I doubt it’d happen but who knows. I didn’t expect a DMC battle system either.

And re. all the little grunt battles, yeah, you’d have to get rid of those in order to make a JRPG work with SRPG battles. That was kind of the point I was trying to make about SRPGs being so different that we put them in a different genre. My thoughts on random turn based battles are the same as what Dunkey says lol:

Chukhopops

Dang people really do be hating turn based and not just memeing about it. Whatever, I much prefer turn based over action for my rpg but I love the mix of both.
IMO the problem isn’t to make action or turn-based JRPGS. It’s completely ok to make action JRPGS as long as they aren’t completely braindead to play.

You can make a full-blown action RPG without removing:
- party composition;
- class or job system;
- resource management other than cooldown time;
- equipment management;
- challenge;
- elemental affinity.

Now if you remove all of that at once then you end up with the gameplay equivalent of doing the dishes.

Poplin

BG3 is successful despte its turn based RPG mechanics. its the narrative thats driving the popularity. Unfortunately turn based is niche, unless you have a great hook (BG3->interactive story, honkai->anime gatcha)

Sentenza

Yeah sorry I'm not a fan of turn based combat. Usually I won't even play a game if it's turn based, BG3 is a rare exception.
Well, that's just your problem, though.
The combat (and its responsiveness and visual presentation) is literally the highlight of BG3.

Top Bottom