• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not a fan of BG3, but I DO hope this sends a message to AAA JRPG game devs.

-Zelda-

Banned
Go back to making your games turn based. It's really hard to argue against or not notice a turn based rpg winning GOTY and selling between 21 to 30+ million copies. (Can't find exact numbers, maybe someone smarter than I am can help with this)

Congrats on the win.

nowhat

Go back to making your games turn based. It's really hard to argue against or not notice a turn based rpg winning GOTY and selling between 21 to 30+ million copies. (Can't find exact numbers, maybe someone smarter than I am can help with this)

Congrats on the win.
TBH, the traditional turn-based JRPG stuff kinda sucks. It's just element vs. another. And RNG of course. Whereas with BG3, much of it has to do with positioning and using the environment to your advantage (or at times, to your demise). BG3 is much more engaging in that regard.

Guilty_AI

much of it has to do with positioning and using the environment to your advantage (or at times, to your demise). BG3 is much more engaging in that regard.
Ok then, Turn based gameplay, but with an asterisk.
That is the premise of tactical turn based games. Stuff like Final Fantasy Tactics had similar mechanics.

btw, sales estimation is probably around 10M

Last edited:

Dynasty8

I enjoy turn based games more, but that's not the only message I hope it sends.

Make sure the games have a good story, non cringy good writing and interesting characters. Oh and content. Oh and please challenge players instead of making the difficulty brain dead easy like FFXVI.

JRPGs can improve big time, but I feel like they're so afraid to take certain risks nowadays.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I type of person who can enjoy both turn based and action combat, which is why I’m getting both Granblue Fantasy Relink and Persona 3 Reload.

i get some people who enjoy BG3, but I’m not in to CRPG and I don’t want my JRPG play like one.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Persona 3 Remake
Trails Through Daybreak
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
Metaphor
Yakuza 8
Eiyuden Chronicle
Dragons Dogma 2
SaGa Emerald Beyond

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

I count 6 turn based jrpgs and 2 action jrpgs releasing next year. I like turn based too, OP, but I think we’re good.

Uh no thanks on that lesson, the fact that it is turn based is the worst part about it. The lessons to be learned are - invest in your game characters, and allow players meaningful choices, even if they are bad choices, even if they miss out on significant content due to choices.
Nope. You are wrong.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It definitely got a hype boost from either being a delegated PlayStation GOTY contender where there was none or from people who like all the weird romance options. 🤢. maybe a mixture of both?

I really liked it but it wasn’t Zelda level of goodness that’s for sure.

Last edited:

Hudo

While I do love Baldur's Gate 3, I think that each developer should implement a combat system that they deem fun and interesting. For example, Atlus' "press turn/one more action" turn-based system is quite fun. I also enjoyed the action-rpg combat of FF7 remake.

The only developer I want to take note of Baldur's Gate 3 is BioWare.

I’m fan of turn based JRPGs but I have ZERO desire to play BG3…just not in to CRPG.
What is the functional difference? Is it making choices?

I ask because I didn't even know what CRPG meant when BG came out, and google says 'Computer Role-Playing Game' which is a very unhelpful descriptor and not even true for Baldur's Gate. I thought it might mean something to do with choices. Would appreciate an explanation of the differences.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
As much as I love the combat in BG3, that’s not what made it so good for me. I think the standout elements of the game are how rich almost every quest/side quest is, how every character has incredible mocapped acting/dialog, how detailed and explorable (yet not overwhelming) the whole world is, and, most importantly, how the game respects the player’s time. Yes, it’s an insanely long game (by my standards, anyway), but there were few if any moments where I felt like I was just completing filler or grinding.

Almost every single battle, action, and conversation I had in that game felt like it was meaningful enough for Larian to include. Everything always felt like it was somehow important and worth exploring. In a similar way to how BotW and TotK are master classes in environmental exploration being fulfilling and addictive, BG3 is the greatest example of narrative exploration (dialog and action-based) I’ve ever experienced in a game.

I famously dislike not only RPGs, but video game stories in general. The only other gaming stories I remember really caring about are like Mass Effect and TLoU. I also don’t care for high fantasy. Yet somehow BG3 just excelled so much that it immediately shot up to my favorite RPG of all time. It’s stupidly good and absolutely deserved the GOTY (even if my personal choice was TotK).

I’m so happy for Larian. They must be in cloud 9 today.

Danjin44

I’m so sick of this type of BS, same shit happened with Witcher 3, everyone saying every game needs to be like Witcher 3 and now it BG3……FUCK THAT!

If you guys don’t like how JRPG plays and tells its story then go fucking play western RPG or CRPG. I got in to JRPGs because they are nothing like them.

The pull of the game isn't the turn based elements (which are great), but the flexibility in ACTUAL ROLEPLAYING OPTIONS that make it so special.

Yup.

I haven't heard of a single person, IRL or online, that was excited about the turn based combat, knew it existed, or praised it above all other things in the game.

The main appeal appears to be that it's an actual RPG and properly done.

But, also very little to no complaints about the combat.

Guilty_AI

I think there's plenty of turn-based RPG's or hybrids from Japan. There's no lesson to be learned, let them design whatever RPG they feel like. Try not to worry about sales and awards so much or one game dictating direction IMO.
I think OP is just saying the logic of turning historically turn-based/tactical games into action-based because of "appeal", like FFXVI did, doesn't fly anymore.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I’m so sick of this type of BS, same shit happened with Witcher 3, everyone saying every game needs to be like Witcher 3 and now it BG3……FUCK THAT!

If you guys don’t like how JRPG plays and tells its story then go fucking play western RPG or CRPG. I got in to JRPGs because they are nothing like them.
OP is not telling JRPG devs to make their games like CRPGs. She's saying the excuse of turning turn-based/tactical AAA JRPGs into action-based because of "wide-appeal" is not an excuse that flies anymore, not when the GOTY winner was a turn-based game with classic "non-appealing" mechanics.

She's telling the OPPOSITE of what you and other users are implying she's saying. She's telling devs that you can stick with classic roots and still make a popular mainstream game, and that BG3 showed that. That you do not need to dumb things down or turn everything into an action game to sell.

Last edited:

Danjin44

OP is not telling JRPG devs to make their games like CRPGs. She's saying the excuse of turning turn-based/tactical AAA JRPGs into action-based because of "wide-appeal" is not an excuse that flies anymore, not when the GOTY winner was a turn-based game with classic "non-appealing" mechanics.

She's telling the OPPOSITE of what you and other users are implying she's saying. She's telling devs that you can stick with classic roots and still make a popular mainstream game, and that BG3 showed that. That you do not need to dumb things down or turn everything into an action game to sell.
We are still getting plenty of turn based JRPG, this year alone we got Octopath 2 which was FANTASTIC game and 2024 we are getting Metaphor. I want and need both turn based and action JRPGs......like Granblue Fantasy Relink and FFVII Rebirth as my action JRPG and Metaphor and Persona 3 Reload as my Turn based RPG.

Guilty_AI

We are still getting plenty of turn based JRPG, this year alone we got Octopath 2 which was FANTASTIC game and 2024 we are getting Metaphor. I want and need both turn based and action JRPGs......like Granblue Fantasy Relink and FFVII Rebirth as my action JRPG and Metaphor and Persona 3 Reload as my Turn based RPG.
Yeah but those are nicher, mid-low budget titles. She's refering specifically to AAA JRPG devs, that they don't have to stick with the idea AAA JRPGs must all restrain their mechanics and dumb everything down.

For you, imagine something like Octopath 2 with the budget, production and scope of FFXVI. Thats what BG3 feels like to many traditional rpg fans.

Danjin44

Yeah but those are nicher, mid-low budget titles. She's refering specifically to AAA JRPG devs, that they don't have to stick with the idea AAA JRPGs must all restrain their mechanics and dumb everything down.

For you, imagine something like Octopath 2 with the budget, production and scope of FFXVI. Thats what BG3 feels like to many traditional rpg fans.
I dont care if its AA or AAAAA as long as the game is good and Octopath series brought great 2D-HD visuals style to gaming which happened because of its AA game.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

I dont care if its AA or AAAAA as long as the game is good and Octopath series brought great 2D-HD visuals style to gaming which happened because of its AA game.
Still, wouldn't you like to see a game with the same mechanical depth, creativity and great writing as many of these AA games you play, combined with great visual fidelity, full skillful voice acting and motion capture?

The formers were often waved away in the name of 'being safe', but BG3 just proved you can have it all, that a game like that can still sell as much as it needs to. You can have a Final Fantasy Tactics that looks like Final Fantasy XVI.

Danjin44

Still, wouldn't you like to see a game with the same mechanical depth, creativity and great writing as many of these AA games you play, combined with great visual fidelity, full skillful voice acting and motion capture?

The formers were often waved away in the name of 'being safe', but BG3 just proved you can have it all, that a game like that can still sell as much as it needs to. You can have a Final Fantasy Tactics that looks like Final Fantasy XVI.
Like I said many time I care faaaaaaar more about aesthetics over high tech graphics, this is why to me Metaphor looks phenomenal because of its interesting visual style.
image0.jpg

refantazio-metaphor.gif

also
motion capture?
You mean scan faces?......no thank you, I dont want that in my JRPG.

Last edited:

nowhat

Dude, chill.

...and also, might I suggest fucking a bear to relieve all that tension.

Guilty_AI

Like I said many time I care faaaaaaar more about aesthetics over high tech graphics, this is why to me Metaphor looks phenomenal because of its interesting visual style.

also

You mean scan faces?......no thank you, I dont want that in my JRPG.
Its not just about visual style, motion capture can convey emotions that is hard to do with just VA or text boxes. Same with things like lightining, proper visual direction, etc.

Just compare a full-fledge cutscene in FFXVI with the character talking to a random person in a side-quest. Wouldn't rather if all of the interactions in the game had the same degree of touch and attention as those cutscenes?

What if a game like Persona or Metaphor had a much higher amount of anime-style cutscenes, rather than characters just standing around moving their arms awkwardly? Or at least they used and improved the game visuals to make them as good as one of those anime cutscenes? Its the kind of thing the power of money and graphical tech can bring.

Last edited:

Danjin44

What if a game like Persona or Metaphor had a much higher amount of anime-style cutscenes, rather than characters just standing around moving their arms awkwardly? Or at least they used and improved the game visuals to make them as good as one of those anime cutscenes? Its the kind of thing the power of money and graphical tech can bring.
Have you not watched Persona 3 Reload and Metaphor trailers? Not we are getting anime cutscenes, we are also high quality 3D cutscenes. Also games like Elden Ring and Armored Core VI had ANY "motion capture" but that didn't stopped me from enjoying those games.

Unlike most people in GAF, for me high budget and tech is not all that important to me, as long as I liked overall aesthetics, I'm happy.

Top Bottom