• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch calls out Yogscast as "an isolated island of egos".

Khezu

I liked them for there cata beta videos.

I also liked the first 20 or so minecraft videos, before it got weird.

I'm not taking sides until I hear the Yogscast side of things. That said, I hate what has happened to their channel over the last year or so. I was subbed to them back when they first started doing WoW videos and were still doing their podcast regularly and absolutely loved them and the community around them. In the time since they started doing the SoI videos though the community has gotten progressively worse(downvoting videos because they aren't minecraft, constant begging in comments for new videos, etc.) and their personalities seem to have changed.

It's funny to me that he is saying they were swearing in front of kids but in the interview they did with him he was talking about fucking simon's mother and there were a few masturbation jokes as well iirc.

Riposte

Oh wow, I remember these guys. Really, really didn't like what they had to offer. Annoying sounding and utterly lame/unfunny. I guess that doesn't really say much about the thread's topic though.

Herla

Weird, it started with Notch angry because during the panel Yogscast showed a video where they say "fuck" a lot, and now all this stuff surfaces? Something's not right...

Card Boy

Banned
That, plus what exactly is Notch accusing them of? Dropping F-bombs in front of fans? The rest of it sounds like hearsay.

Yep. I also think Notch comes off as a loser aswell in this afair.

Even if this actually happened, don't publicly call out people. Take them aside and talk to them. This applies to people in the workforce, school or even people on Gaf.

Falt

untitled-1.jpg

http://www.facebook.com/yogscast?sk=wall

Interested to see what their take on the whole thing is. I've always enjoyed their videos but I do remember them over stepping the mark before with Notch and C418 (minecraft's "composer") before with regards to requesting their fans to spam notch and mojang's twitter accounts or something along those lines.

putarorex

What the yogcast guys did sounds pretty bad, but I gotta wonder if some isn't just a bit of culture differences. They're Brits right? British humor can come across as pretty crude and egotistical if don't understand the whole "taking the piss" thing they love to do so often. I work with a Brit in Japan and his interactions with Japanese can be akward but hilarious.

Rapstah

How so? I started following them after they started their Minecraft stuff, so I would like to get some more perspective.

I looked up the dates and it turns out it was only a couple of months. For reference, I subsribed at their Final Fantasy 14 series' start in September 2010, they did their first Minecraft episode sometime in December. Not sure if that gives me the perspective to comment, but comparing the effort they put into that series, hours of content, and their average effort put into any Minecraft puzzle map nowadays, there's obviously a difference. Perharps because they're putting a lot of time into their main Minecraft series, but really that's just ridicolous.

The attitude I was referring to is in connection to that series. It's evident there's a lot more effort behind that one than what we're seeing, and a lot from people who're building the worlds and writing everything, but they'll rush through it all and hardly give any credit to those others.

I can't really put into words why I started to not watch their videos. If they've changed a lot recently (doesn't sound like it from this story) then I've missed it because I haven't watched anything from them since before summer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and that dumbass "everyone e-mail Mojang and tell them to contact us, but we can't tell you why" stuff that pissed off Notch a couple of months back too. Did they ever tell everyone what that was about? It just seemed inexcusable on their end.

Yogscast is a terrible name and from what I saw on their Youtube page it's a channel about people playing games in parts of which there are like 2 million out there. Why would anyone want shit signed from them, they're people talking over games.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
From the Yogscast twitter:
An Official statement/Vlog will be released when Simon, Lewis and Hannah return from Las Vegas to clarify what has happened. Hopefully this will clear everything up for everyone.

I think Notch is a pretty terrible designer, and large amounts of the success of his game rides on the work of others that he often incorporates into the game with no given credit to the original modders. These insults are both petty and at the same time fellate the rest of his event, community, etc. He doesn't have the decency to make any official announcements, or the spine to confront them about anything. Instead he isolates himself to go online and whine about the behavior of others. Judging by the release of 1.0 Minecraft, Mojang are a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company.

I'm also reading stuff about Notch making masturbation jokes at Minecon with the Yogscast. So I guess I have to ask, who is he to really criticize anyone else being vulgar?

Khezu

Oh ya, they did those final fantasy 14 videos, those were probably the best thing they ever did, but I guess 14's terribleness kinda carried the videos.

Satch

Banned
Unfortunate if true, but at the same time, something doesn't exactly seem quite right about this.

Whatever the case, Notch shouldn't have taken this to Twitter.

spirity

I could never listen to yogscast for more than 10 minutes because one of those guys always starts screaming at the sight of a sheep or something. That, and the fact that they're really not all that good, either.

Dennis

Banned
Without Notch and Minecraft, they would be nothing.

Without them, Notch and Minecraft would be doing just fine.

JaggedSac

He doesn't have the decency to make any official announcements, or the spine to confront them about anything. Instead he isolates himself to go online and whine about the behavior of others.

How do you know they did not have words at the convention? Something obviously occurred between them as the Yogscast guys were gonna scratch out his name on an autograph and write "fuck you" on it.

Where was this ever confirmed? I've seen it tossed around but yet to see any official word from Notch or the Yogscast of this actually taking place. It seems that the F-bombs Notch is referring to was during the video at their panel.

Notch said it in his twitter.

How do you know they did not have words at the convention? Something obviously occurred between them as the Yogscast guys were gonna scratch out his name on an autograph and write "fuck you" on it.

Where was this ever confirmed? I've seen it tossed around but yet to see any official word from Notch or the Yogscast of this actually taking place. It seems that the F-bombs Notch is referring to was during the video at their panel.

Edit: nm, somehow I missed that tweet

thebeeks

Banned
Can't say I've ever heard of Yogscast, but it kinda sounds like another dime a dozen Let's Play group. Still, unfortunate that all this has happened.

Doomboy

Neo Member

https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716909767102464

Tweet from Notch - "A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead."

Obviously this is still just what Notch says at the moment though. But it would be strange if he had outright just made that up.

There is a claim that they were going to do that, let's not condemn anyone till all is known. As many have posted there's something odd about it all and I mentioned in the OT that Notch's outburst appears to have been a "I'll get my side of the story out first" type of thing.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Because if he had made it a thing there the argument wouldn't be happening when Yogscast is boarding a plane and is unable to respond. They seem pretty surprised about this.
https://twitter.com/#!/notch/status/138716909767102464

Tweet from Notch - "A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead."

Jokes, how do they work? Did they say it to the kid? To themselves? Afterwards at the panel in reference to the occurrence earlier? There is no context. Just Notch making vague shots in the dark.

Zomba13

Some of that stuff sounds taken out of context. Like the 'true fans should have skipped the panel' that was obviously a joke and maybe they wanted to keep the yogscast sign as a keepsake of the con (I dunno if they regularly make signs or anything or if it was made specially for the con)?

I think it'd be very easy to mistake their joking and sense of humour as whining or complaining or acting like they are too good for the place. I dunno though. From what I've read they seem like dicks but then again we haven't heard/read their side.

Jokes, how do they work? Did they say it to the kid? To themselves? Afterwards at the panel in reference to the occurrence earlier? There is no context. Just Notch making vague shots in the dark.
I'm almost 100% sure that if that did happen it was a joke. They wouldn't seriously do that. I mean, if they would then they would be massive monumental dicks but it seems just like a joke they would say. Maybe their humour doesn't work that well in America or something.

JaggedSac

It's possible that it was a joke, but I can't think of a possible setup to make it humorous.

Doomboy

Neo Member

I can't really think of a situation where it could be meant in a good natured way though, it seems like such a mundane thing to bring up in a panel later on, and it certainly wouldn't be worthy of accusation of misconduct in that context.

We do "need" more clarification though.

Salaadin

I liked Yogscast so Im half interested in their side of the story.

I dont see any reason for Notch to lie or twist the story around. Hes a pretty cool dude.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I looked up the dates and it turns out it was only a couple of months. For reference, I subsribed at their Final Fantasy 14 series' start in September 2010, they did their first Minecraft episode sometime in December. Not sure if that gives me the perspective to comment, but comparing the effort they put into that series, hours of content, and their average effort put into any Minecraft puzzle map nowadays, there's obviously a difference. Perharps because they're putting a lot of time into their main Minecraft series, but really that's just ridicolous.

The attitude I was referring to is in connection to that series. It's evident there's a lot more effort behind that one than what we're seeing, and a lot from people who're building the worlds and writing everything, but they'll rush through it all and hardly give any credit to those others.

I can't really put into words why I started to not watch their videos. If they've changed a lot recently (doesn't sound like it from this story) then I've missed it because I haven't watched anything from them since before summer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and that dumbass "everyone e-mail Mojang and tell them to contact us, but we can't tell you why" stuff that pissed off Notch a couple of months back too. Did they ever tell everyone what that was about? It just seemed inexcusable on their end.
Thanks. That's one of the reasons why I stopped watching their main series but still check out their other stuff from time to time. They're not really playing minecraft anymore, but are just sort of touring stuff other people made at this point - sometimes very briefly. There's very little actual gameplay going on in their main series.

They do just go "fuck it" and just blow their way through things at times, but everyone does that at times so I never thought much of it.
Hmm, very strange. Gonna reserve judgement until I hear the Yogcast side of the story.
Same.

FStop7

Banned
So Notch/Mojang are the hard working dudes who make Minecraft, pouring their blood sweat and tears into creating an actual product.

Yogcast is a bunch of people who don't actually make Minecraft, they just talk about it? And they demand respect and want credit for popularizing Minecraft?

Yeah, gonna have to go with Notch/Mojang on this.

Oli

I dont see any reason for Notch to lie or twist the story around. Hes a pretty cool dude.

Yeah I don't doubt that Notch is a good guy, but it's possible that he just drew the wrong conclusion or something. It happens. I'm surprised he publicized all of this either way.

Herla

Some say he's just pissed because of this video...apparently they brought it up during their panel too.

Rapstah

Yeah I don't doubt that Notch is a good guy, but it's possible that he just drew the wrong conclusion or something. It happens. I'm surprised he publicized all of this either way.

Yeah, about that, where did this all come from? The tweets start at "I've been getting a lot of shit from Yogscast fans". Where did it start?

EDIT: Oh, hang on, I missed the tweet 11 hours ago where he didn't name them.

Top Bottom