• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch calls out Yogscast as "an isolated island of egos".

So Notch/Mojang are the hard working dudes who make Minecraft, pouring their blood sweat and tears into creating an actual product.

Yogcast is a bunch of people who don't actually make Minecraft, they just talk about it? And they demand respect and want credit for popularizing Minecraft?

Yeah, gonna have to go with Notch/Mojang on this.

To be fair to Yogscast they've done a lot of work of making a narrative in Minecraft when there was none and showcasing a lot of big and small mods. I enjoy their story stuff as it's very different from those who just play through it and the work that goes into creating their story world seems very impressive IMO.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It's possible that it was a joke, but I can't think of a possible setup to make it humorous.
Possible that it was a joke? This is the Yogscast. They are joking around all the time.

The reddit post is absurd. People demonizing the Yogscast because they didn't let some random girl take their banner. People pretending the Yogscast is obligated in any way to sign stuff when they're just there to host a panel. The worst part is that the reddit post makes the Yogscast out to be entitled, but seems to expect a great deal of Simon and Lewis, and goes on to complain about the specific content of the panel not being what they wanted. It really could not be more hypocritical.
I can't really think of a situation where it could be meant in a good natured way though, it seems like such a mundane thing to bring up in a panel later on, and it certainly wouldn't be worthy of accusation of misconduct in that context.

We do "need" more clarification though.
The "f-bomb" fiasco is also clearly a joke. The hubbub over the signing thing was never the intent of the statement, but the inappropriate use of language in front of a potentially younger audience at the convention.

spode

I've subscribed to their channel for about a year and used to watch most of their videos. Haven't watched any in a long while though. I've kind of felt this bad vibe and notch now 'confirming it' made me unsubscribe :/

Oli

Notch taking something to Twitter shouldn't be surprising at all.

Well it's stupid. If he's really not a "nerd who can't run a company" then he should know not to do stuff like this.

I appreciate developers getting close to the fans, but sometimes you can get too close.

I've subscribed to their channel for about a year and used to watch most of their videos. Haven't watched any in a long while though. I've kind of felt this bad vibe and notch now 'confirming it' made me unsubscribe :/

How did you get a bad vibe without watching the videos?

Salaadin

Yeah I don't doubt that Notch is a good guy, but it's possible that he just drew the wrong conclusion or something. It happens. I'm surprised he publicized all of this either way.

Notch seems to publicize everything on twitter. I found out about his Bethesda battle from him on there too. Hes a little different when it comes to letting us know things. That said, I dont think he should have publicly brought down Yogscast like that...especially before he talked to them about it (Im assuming he didnt).

Im also curious if Notch was directly aware of what they did or if this is one of those stories that goes from one person to another until the final version is a highly embellished version of the truth.

Some say he's just pissed because of this video...apparently they brought it up during their panel too.

Thanks for the link. Ill check it when I get home.

Jokes, how do they work? Did they say it to the kid? To themselves? Afterwards at the panel in reference to the occurrence earlier? There is no context. Just Notch making vague shots in the dark.

Shouldn't the boy get the signing then? It doesn't sound like it....

I mean, the guy should have said and then sign it normally....

Same like this:

Yogscast, on the other hand, passed out tickets to people who wanted an autograph during their own panel! When fans complained that they couldn't get an autograph, their response was along the lines of, "True fans would have skipped the panel to get the autograph."

"Oh, it was a joke!"

Then, those fans got the autograph at the end or not?

There's a difference, I mean in both cases may be a joke, but in one of them the person is acting like an asshole....

Doomboy

Neo Member
The "f-bomb" fiasco is also clearly a joke. The hubbub over the signing thing was never the intent of the statement, but the inappropriate use of language in front of a potentially younger audience at the convention.
I thought he moved away from complaining that they used the "f-bomb" to claiming that they were acting like egotistical "divas"?

mik83kuu

Banned
Yogscast used to be my #1 favorite YouTube channel, but this sort of attitude has been rising and showing it's ugly head in their content over the past few months. I have now unsubscribed, but that's just me. I wish them all the best though and wish they'll apologize for their stupid behaviour.

spode

How did you get a bad vibe without watching the videos?
I meant that I started getting a bad vibe and stopped watching. I dunno really. Been a big fan of them and all my friends are too :/. Really want to hear their response.

medze

Yeah theyre not really losing many subscribers at all and are probably getting even more with the publicity theyre getting right now. There's no reason this should have been made public by Notch in the first place. I'll keep my subscription because they make funny videos and I enjoy Minecraft more watching Yogscast play than I enjoy playing it myself.

mik83kuu

Banned
All I want from them is an apology or a proper explanation to this and their earlier statements and I'll gladly subscribe back. If they honestly think Minecraft is big because of them or if they do something even more stupid like stop doing Minecraft videos (even though I don't watch them anymore) because of this, I'll gladly find someone else to stroke my funny bone.

Why do YouTubers have to open their fucking mouth outside YouTube and make me hate them. Pfft :-(

TGMIII

Yeah, didn't mean relatively, just that they're losing subscribers at all. They lost like maybe 10 and got 5 in the time I looked. Not sure how that goes for the average channel though.

Pretty much every "known" channel is like this. Go look at other big youtube names and you'll see the same.

Deadbeat

Banned
This reminds me of Homestuck and the disconnect between the creator and the fans of it. IE the creator is mentally stable and the fans are not. Same with minecraft. His forum is a cesspool of freaks if you wander too far off.

edit: not homestuck level, but you understand what im getting at.

Sye d'Burns

Lol why is this warning. Nsfw links are pretty clearly marked

Perhaps he feels that more often than not, entering a reddit link is like falling into a rabbit hole of stupidity and he just wants to offer everyone fair warning that their IQ may be imperiled.

ksimm

Strange move by Notch, he really should have just kept quiet? Yogs are the 2nd most subscribe channel in the UK on YouTube, that's a lot of angry people to hit twitter.
They are releasing a statement when they land in the UK apparently to help clear up whatever happened.

Anyway, whatever... :p

All I want from them is an apology or a proper explanation to this and their earlier statements and I'll gladly subscribe back. If they honestly think Minecraft is big because of them or if they do something even more stupid like stop doing Minecraft videos (even though I don't watch them anymore) because of this, I'll gladly find someone else to stroke my funny bone.

Why do YouTubers have to open their fucking mouth outside YouTube and make me hate them. Pfft :-(

I'd say just wait until the full story comes out. The Yogscast crew are on a flight home, they can't respond yet but we know it's coming. I've no doubt the accusations will be denied or re-interpreted, right now we have unconfirmed reports with lots of hearsay. Even the reddit link posted earlier has drastically different experiences being portrayed.

EDIT: you re-subscribed!

I would not have guessed that this is what the little indie block-laying game I bought for a few bucks back june of last year would lead to.

Alex

Totalbiscuits posts make the whole thing even better, it is all very amusing to an outsider. All of these twitter/YouTube personalities seem to have a screw loose somewhere.

ZoddGutts

Strange move by Notch, he really should have just kept quiet? Yogs are the 2nd most subscribe channel in the UK on YouTube, that's a lot of angry people to hit twitter.
They are releasing a statement when they land in the UK apparently to help clear up whatever happened.

Anyway, whatever... :p

What first in UK?

I would not have guessed that this is what the little indie block-laying game I bought for a few bucks back june of last year would lead to.

You mean the fact that is actually sold millions of digital copies becoming one of the higher PC games this year which lead the game actually having it's own convection or the little internet drama on twitter?

Totalbiscuits posts make the whole thing even better, it is all very amusing to an outsider. All of these twitter/YouTube personalities seem to have a screw loose somewhere.

Seems like he's purposely missing the whole picture here, I'm sure the bad language thing is the minor problem.

mik83kuu

Banned
I'd say just wait until the full story comes out. The Yogscast crew are on a flight home, they can't respond yet but we know it's coming. I've no doubt the accusations will be denied or re-interpreted, right now we have unconfirmed reports with lots of hearsay. Even the reddit link posted earlier has drastically different experiences being portrayed.

EDIT: you re-subscribed!

Heh yeah I acted too soon. I believe their story will make this all have some sense.

Haunted

I love Minecraft but I've never heard of these Youtube guys.

If they annoy Notch, they can fuck off right now, though.

Yogscast repeatedly insulted people...
They called us "a bunch of nerds who don't know how to run a company", ...
And they claim they're the reason minecraft is big...
A kid wanted them to sign something I had signed, and they said they'd cross it out and put "fuck you" there instead.

I strongly get the feeling the order of events is not as reported here. Apart from what the reddit thread purports there was one fight over an autograph and it blew up due to overreaction.

He sides with them on the swearing issue because he swears ten times as much as they do. Was he there? What's the story behind the afterparty he mentions?
The afterparty apparently was a mess and a lot of people including Mojang staff were treated like dirt by the staff.

Anyway personally like I said in the Minecraft OT I'm just disappointed in Notch for the way he chooses to deal with things through Twitter without putting much/any thought into the consequences.

vireland

Though the accounts of what Yogscast did aren't putting them in a bright light, Notch having a public bitchfest on Twitter and airing his dirty laundry isn't any better.

Sometimes the only way to get the stink out is to air it publicly. Trust me. +10 Notch.

Oli

Anyway personally like I said in the Minecraft OT I'm just disappointed in Notch for the way he chooses to deal with things through Twitter without putting much/any thought into the consequences.

Yeah, I mean, any way he personally feels about those guys, there's no denying that they've been doing a lot of free publicity for him. Seems like a strange and silly move to call them out like this.

Sometimes the only way to get the stink out is to air it publicly. Trust me. +10 Notch.

That may be true for close relationships between friends. But we're talking about a guy trying to run a business here. All he has accomplished here is pissing off Yogcast fans and gains nothing in the process. A bad move even if Yogcast was in the wrong.

Ranger X

What Notch describe is people with a serious lack of maturity thinking they are somebody because of a certain Youtube fame.

Well, this is exactly what their videos told me. I totally trust Notch here.

mr_chun

Meh, as long as their videos continue to amuse me, I couldn't care less about this whole shindig.

I do wonder though... has Notch ever actually watched yogscast before? The two of them have filthy mouths. What did he expect? As for the behavior, not sure where that came from. They seemed rather polite and appreciative at the nvidia thing, if not a bit mischievous walking around restricted areas.

Meh.

angelfly

I don't care for Minecraft but it is weird to see a lot people here taking sides without even hearing from the Yogscast guys. Also from Notch's tweet it sounds like he witnessed none of the stuff he's complaining about but rather had it relayed to him by others.

vireland

That may be true for close relationships between friends. But we're talking about a guy trying to run a business here. All he has accomplished here is pissing off Yogcast fans and gains nothing in the process. A bad move even if Yogcast was in the wrong.

Nope. Even in a situation like this, he's entitled to the approach he took and will probably benefit long-term if his version of events are as accurate as they seem. He's not bound by some corporate creed or something. He is who he is, and he's rich and successful enough to act as he wishes.

It's not like he was aggressively attacking Yogcast. He simply called them for their bad behavior that seems like it was way out of bounds.

Zomba13

Meh, as long as their videos continue to amuse me, I couldn't care less about this whole shindig.

I do wonder though... has Notch ever actually watched yogscast before? The two of them have filthy mouths. What did he expect? As for the behavior, not sure where that came from. They seemed rather polite and appreciative at the nvidia thing, if not a bit mischievous walking around restricted areas.

Meh.

Watch their interview with Notch. He's much filthier even claiming to have fucked Simon's mother and talking about masturbation (all jokingly of course).

1245227615_colin_farrel.gif

Top Bottom