• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notch calls out Yogscast as "an isolated island of egos".

Venfayth

Really need to hear what Yogscast has to say, although I think Notch might have been in an awkward position if his allegations are true.

If some people were offended by Yogscast, he'd obviously want to make an apology and a statement they wouldn't be worked with again, which he did.

Then the rabid Yogscast fans start messaging him and get all butthurt. I think that the correct response at this point would have been to keep your mouth shut, but at this point I'm pretty sure there was a lot of intrigue in the drama, even Deadmau5 was wondering what was going on: https://twitter.com/#!/deadmau5/status/138576319725309952

Notch ended up choosing to vent a little, which was probably the wrong choice and a result of all the intrigue, ending the whole thing with "Maybe I'm just too tired .. I still like Yogscast", which leads me to believe he wanted to let the whole thing blow over in the first place.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
yeah, from the original twitter posts, it doesn't sound like Notch went off on a rant. Rather he made one initial comment and then it sounded like he felt like he had to explain a little more - presumably there were a lot of replies/activity around it and he wanted to clear the air.

Rufus

You can't magically be as successful as Mojang without business sense.
So what sort of business sense are we talking about, here? You make it sound like there's no such thing as luck and happy circumstances. He made a thing which people liked. It was keyed into the community from day one. Then it went viral. I would call only one of those things 'business sense', and I'm not even sure he realized that when he started. I understand how people would overestimate his accomplishments, but it's not like he wasn't sitting at the same slot machine the entire industry is.

Also, that 'magical' success? Marketing. If he actually thinks all the YouTube videos of people playing his game didn't have anything to do with it he's delusional, regardless of how badly the Yogscast guys put their foot in their mouths when they said that (or what anyone things of them and the other Minecraft channels outside of this).

Jordan

So what sort of business sense are we talking about, here? You make it sound like there's no such thing as luck and happy circumstances. He made a thing which people liked. It was keyed into the community from day one. Then it went viral. I would call only one of those things 'business sense', and I'm not even sure he realized that when he started. I understand how people would overestimate his accomplishments, but it's not like he wasn't sitting at the same slot machine the entire industry is.

Also, that 'magical' success? Marketing. If he actually thinks all the YouTube videos of people playing his game didn't have anything to do with it he's delusional, regardless of how badly the Yogscast guys put their foot in their mouths when they said that (or what anyone things of them and the other Minecraft channels outside of this).

I play Minecraft and this is one thing I always find interesting. Every day I go onto Youtube, one of the most watched clips is minecraft related, daily. Minecraft has gotten so far due to the publicity of the fact of what people have done with it, posted on youtube and shared with the world.

I am on nobody's side with this argument, I just think it goes way too far - but then I've not heard the entire story.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I think I bought minecraft before I watched the yogscast series of videos, but I can totally see how those initial series (when they start off shitting themselves in the dark on day 1) selling lots of copies to people otherwise unsure about the game.

Philthy

I think it's pretty cool small indie devs can get all the fans/drama the big boys have without having to dump 50 million into a black hole beforehand.

Youtube helped but that's not really what started it, IIRC.

Memory foggy, this could all be wrong, but remember a year back or so when the authentication servers went down and he made the game free for a few days? When the servers went back up, his sales spiked- something like one million sales over the next week. Most companies would have left the game completely unavailable for paying customers while they got their stuff fixed. Notch did things the right way and got ~$10 million out of it. Word of mouth (with Youtube assisting in that), spread it from there.

There's just something we're missing here. The hearsay (and that's all it is at this point) clearly isn't telling us everything, and what we're hearing is pretty uncharacteristic of Yogs.

Likewise, my impression of Notch is that he's one of the most level-headed guys out there and isn't really the type to start Twitter drama over nothing. He's pretty civil and accepting of the imitators out there (only griping about the one iPhone game that was an outright ripoff of Minecraft, stealing assets and everything), and has nothing but positive things to say about just about everybody. For christ's sake, he raves all the time about how awesome Skyrim is even after the whole lawsuit.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
It's rather depressing to see this whole shitstorm. I like all three parties involved (yogscast, notch, and TB) and yet this is making them ALL look bad in some way or another.

Omikaru

I think Notch made the wrong choice to bring this up, but if Yogscast acted in the way Notch claims they did, that's bang out of order. I'm prepared to throw blame everywhere at this point, since nobody's really smelling of roses.

And as for Totalbiscuit, he's just looking more like an arse biscuit right now.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's important to fans of both Notch and the Yogscast who respect both parties. This is their job and regardless of whether you think it's important you'd be a fool to think that either party involved don't have a significant impact on the gaming community and very large fanbases...

Okay, wait, this may be Notch's job, but Simon and Lewis? Their youtube videos aren't their job, I mean they have normal jobs and just do this on the side as a hobby, right? I mean, how could anyone make money doing youtube lets play videos?

Okay, wait, this may be Notch's job, but Simon and Lewis? Their youtube videos aren't their job, I mean they have normal jobs and just do this on the side as a hobby, right? I mean, how could anyone make money doing youtube lets play videos?

Because they are one of the most popular channels on YouTube with over 1.2mil subscribers. They make money via ad-revenue from their videos, publicity deals (they were at GamesCom to promote Minecraft on the Xperia Play), and their own site. I'm sure they get by just fine.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
And as for Totalbiscuit, he's just looking more like an arse biscuit right now.

That's TB for you, though. But the guy gets a free ride as far as I'm concerned after I read about his situation with his wife and kids. Plus him being a dick is pretty entertaining.

They make a significant amount of money via ad revenue as a youtube partner. A very significant amount from things I've heard, although the figures were pure speculation based on other youtube partners. They upload 1 or 2(sometimes more) videos a day with over a million subscribers. They also have a second channel that has over 300k subs they likely make money off of.

Trasher

Pretty sure they've mentioned that it is their job now.

a176

Banned
It's rather depressing to see this whole shitstorm. I like all three parties involved (yogscast, notch, and TB) and yet this is making them ALL look bad in some way or another.

i dont even understand why people care about this in the first place

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Yeah, TB has been totally impartial in this whole affair, he's a good source of reliable information!

EDIT: Although, I must say, I actually believe this is possible, as there are some depressingly sad people on the internet. Still, this is a reflection of this one guy's worthless existence, as opposed to anything Notch did wrong/
It's absolutely a reflection of something Notch did wrong. This is what happens when a celebrity bashes someone on Twitter. With great power comes great responsibility.

yvQ93.png

Problem solved

BooJoh

I don't think Notch really meant any harm here. From the beginning he's been pretty open about things and willingly talks about the inner workings of his business to his fans. I'm sure it probably keeps his lawyers on edge 24/7.

Notch comes across as just a regular guy who was met with sudden fame and fortune, so he's got a little bit of the "rock star" syndrome where he's not always completely responsible with his money and fame. I honestly don't think he harbors any ill intent, he just sometimes speaks before considering the consequences.

Also, it's not like he just slammed Yogscast for the fun of it on twitter. He alluded to some Minecon issues, was likely nagged to reveal who he "learned not to work with" and when he admitted it was them, he was slammed by their fans, so he defended his position. It probably could have been handled better, but who hasn't said something they regret when they're in a funk?

I can't really speak to the alleged actions of Yogscast, but I'm leaning toward the culture clash theory.

Youtube helped but that's not really what started it, IIRC.

Memory foggy, this could all be wrong, but remember a year back or so when the authentication servers went down and he made the game free for a few days? When the servers went back up, his sales spiked- something like one million sales over the next week. Most companies would have left the game completely unavailable for paying customers while they got their stuff fixed. Notch did things the right way and got ~$10 million out of it. Word of mouth (with Youtube assisting in that), spread it from there.

There's just something we're missing here. The hearsay (and that's all it is at this point) clearly isn't telling us everything, and what we're hearing is pretty uncharacteristic of Yogs.

Likewise, my impression of Notch is that he's one of the most level-headed guys out there and isn't really the type to start Twitter drama over nothing. He's pretty civil and accepting of the imitators out there (only griping about the one iPhone game that was an outright ripoff of Minecraft, stealing assets and everything), and has nothing but positive things to say about just about everybody. For christ's sake, he raves all the time about how awesome Skyrim is even after the whole lawsuit.

I remember they got a huuuge spike after they got on the TF2 blog with the Minecraft style TF2 map.

MineCon is a perfect example. It's one thing to get popular, it's another to know how to maintain that popularity - and more-so, how to exploit it ("exploit" here not being a "bad word").

But. You know. If you want to twist my words to make it sound like I'm being a "suit", be my guest.

Vlad

MineCon is a perfect example. It's one thing to get popular, it's another to know how to maintain that popularity - and more-so, how to exploit it ("exploit" here not being a "bad word").

Do you have any links to information detailing how Minecon was such a failure? I haven't seen any articles detailing any massive debacles (aside from the ongoing Yogscast thing), so this prevailing opinion that Minecon was some sort of massive disappointment is a bit surprising.

Salaadin

The dude made Skyrim, I don't care if he twitter feuds or not.
Lol. I almost took you seriously but then I remembered.

Do you have any links to information detailing how Minecon was such a failure? I haven't seen any articles detailing any massive debacles (aside from the ongoing Yogscast thing), so this prevailing opinion that Minecon was some sort of massive disappointment is a bit surprising.

Im wondering this too. I keep hearing about how awkward it was but Notch has always been awkward. I figured it was business as usual.

FoxSpirit

Yogscast guys are back in the UK and once they've slept their jet lag and Simon's flu off a bit, they'll respond.
What do you expect as a reply, an apology?
They'll write that all of this is a big hoax and Notch is simply pissed about something else and they were just being straight forward when they were completely overworked from some matter.

I believe Notch much more in this case, and if that reddit's legit, I am sure a lot more will surface should this conflict go viral.

Reminds me of the whole Ign Pro League SC2 tournament in, I think, Malaysia. Only there the guys who were thought to be decent and trustworthy until that point turned out to be terribad, the tounament a mess and money usddenly missing.

I'm sure it started out small, people complained, Yogscast was confronted, got pissed about it and then things just went downhill from there. I don't trust entertainment culture people a lot, especially since a close friend is in those circles. Huge egos all around, she says it can be really difficult. In her and Notch I trust.

Zomba13

What do you expect as a reply, an apology?
They'll write that all of this is a big hoax and Notch is simply pissed about something else and they were just being straight forward when they were completely overworked from some matter.

I believe Notch much more in this case, and if that reddit's legit, I am sure a lot more will surface should this conflict go viral.

Reminds me of the whole Ign Pro League SC2 tournament in, I think, Malaysia. Only there the guys who were thought to be decent and trustworthy until that point turned out to be terribad, the tounament a mess and money usddenly missing.

I'm sure it started out small, people complained, Yogscast was confronted, got pissed about it and then things just went downhill from there. I don't trust entertainment culture people a lot, especially since a close friend is in those circles. Huge egos all around, she says it can be really difficult. In her and Notch I trust.

Well so far this is Notch and a random reddit guy (who may or may not have been there. I don't know if he posted the proof he said he was going to) against Simon and Lewis (who haven't had the time to respond) and another random reddit guy (who also may or may not have been there).

Top Bottom