• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Notorious joke characters of GAF past

Status
Not open for further replies.
The history of GAF is replete with joke characters - people who, for one reason or other, take on an exaggerated Internet persona for their own entertainment. Now, sometimes these themed antics may be funny, sometimes, they're just annoying.

I found out recently that one particular banned member, Costanza, is confirmed to have been a joke character the whole time he'd been posting here. When I found this out, I felt some relief. I actually didn't like Costanza as some of his (deliberately) obnoxious opinions grated on me something shocking. This is unusual for me and there are very few people online or in real life that I have any beef with.

Thing is that I didn't want to judge him too harshly because for all I knew, he was just some kid just finishing/barely out of high school. I certainly had some obnoxious opinions of my own at that age so I tried my best to disregard him and his blatant trolling. I try to live my life in as mellow a way as possible, so subconsciously hating on Costanza whenever I saw him post something stupid in OT was, like, messing with my cool, man.

Finding out that none of it was real, then, felt like vindication. He had been consistently stupid on purpose, so getting annoyed means that I'm less of a bad person.

My opinion on joke characters is that they're an inevitable consequence of anonymity and a forum this large and are far better than the alternative we'd get if they were cracked down on more. Also, not all joke characters are created equal.

I liked Crushed, for instance, because he had a sense of humour. It's a pity he decided to go all Don Quixote against the moderation here since apart from the occasional annoyance, he was generally entertaining and didn't troll as much as try to make people laugh. I always got the impression of his being a sad clown.

------------

Anyway, enough about that. Name some of the more infamous joke posters you've come across on GAF that are no longer with us. Discuss why they were notorious, how they got "outed" or what led to their downfall.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
I'd call Absinthe a joke character, but I think he was just downright crazy.

Costanza was a joke character? Well that explains a lot.

I miss Crushed too. :( However, I definitely don't miss Greatness Gone.

Undeux

Was Costanza really a joke character, or is he just saying that from beyond the ban for damage control?

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I still don't see how Costanza was a joke character... He may have lied from time to time but he didn't do any attention whoring or long absurd debates like confirmed joke characters

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Docpan springs to mind. I hesitate to call him great or anything. He's just the only obvious one still active that I know about.

Kraftwerk said:
Does Fistful count?
i hope to god not :"(
Aside from that one thread, I really didn't notice any traits of a joke character in his posts. I think it was more a case of GAF making him a joke, rather than him doing it himself.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken though, I haven't been around as long as other people.

Imm0rt4l

He did come across as a douche, but I'm not sure he was a joke character, he seemed alright before he lost his virginity(if that was real). After that is when I started to dislike him though.

I know astrolad joked a lot.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I remember Costanza most for movie/tv show/comic discussion and it had to real. You don't spend hours in Community thread acting like you love it.

yuna55

Mechanical Snowman said:
Aside from that one thread, I really didn't notice any traits of a joke character in his posts. I think it was more a case of GAF making him a joke, rather than him doing it himself.

Someone correct me if I'm mistaken though, I haven't been around as long as other people.
He can lay it on pretty thick at times, for sure. :lol

who was the guy that said "lol" at least 3 times per post but it turned out he was actually a depressed guy in real life? i miss him, but I missed crushed more. His avatar is timeless. TIMELESS. I actually pictured him posting his messages like that. hah

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kraftwerk said:
Does Fistful count?
i hope to god not :"(

Fistful has been banned for pretty much every forum on the internet. If he's a joke character, no one else has noticed either.

Cyan

Banned
Depends on how we're defining joke characters.

If it's just people who post legendary joke threads, Drinky has to be right up there.

If it's people who post in character at all times, AstroLad wins (ok, he's not always in character).

Trurl

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
who was the guy that said "lol" at least 3 times per post but it turned out he was actually a depressed guy in real life? i miss him, but I missed crushed more. His avatar is timeless. TIMELESS
DedicationToLawls.

shuri

Banned
That GloriousCow dude had a big archive of middle-age era GAF.. I'm sure it could be helpful in remember some of those joke characters..

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
perfectchaos007 said:
who was the guy that said "lol" at least 3 times per post but it turned out he was actually a depressed guy in real life? i miss him, but I missed crushed more. His avatar is timeless. TIMELESS. I actually pictured him posting his messages like that. hah
Ron Paul

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Undeux said:
Was Costanza really a joke character, or is he just saying that from beyond the ban for damage control?

Um... he posted that on another forum in response to that forums' (and auxillary chat rooms) members. Trust me, GAF has nothing to do with it.

I still talk to costanza and he is not a joke character. The only thread of his that was bullshit was the Asian girl one. The fat rolls is pretty legit because, well, based on his personality, he'd say something like that.

well going even waaaaaaaay back, Olimario, gigadent, futami, O.P.A(look it up) WERE NOT joke characters. hell, gigadent once went to another forum to ask for a picture of a receipt to "prove" that he had a gamecube or X-box I forget... MAF was awesome, as was drinkycrow (he still around though right?)

Q8D3vil

DeathNote said:
I remember Costanza most for movie/tv show/comic discussion and it had to real. You don't spend hours in Community thread acting like you love it.
this, i remember costanza being everywhere in neogaf but he always what he was talking about in most of the OT's.

how did he get banned ?!

Ultima_5

Cyan said:
Depends on how we're defining joke characters.

If it's just people who post legendary joke threads, Drinky has to be right up there.

If it's people who post in character at all times, AstroLad wins (ok, he's not always in character).
That guy who thinks a terrorist will force him to have sex with a dolphin a mention if that's the case.
though i'm still not sure if it was a joke or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom