• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2012 NPD (U.S.) Predictions, including Wii U launch - closes December 3

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
900K is around 1 million. *shrugs*

~3 hours left to predict.

Shouldn't 1.1 million be around 1 million too? XD
Seriously, I don't think the difference is that much between "around 1 million" and 1 million :p

Miles X

EEDAR's Doug Creutz has made a fair few predictions including 170,000 Wii's for the month. If you worked for a top end research/analyst firm you'd at least do some minor research, what a shoddy pathetic prediction from him.

Elios83

EEDAR's Doug Creutz has made a fair few predictions including 170,000 Wii's for the month. If you worked for a top end research/analyst firm you'd at least do some minor research, what a shoddy pathetic prediction from him.

Yeah it's terrible, 800k 3DS too with a 250k BF week....the guy hasn't even read the official PRs by Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft...and he's paid for the job LOL.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Are people mixing Jesse Divnich of EEDAR up with Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company? I don't get it.

donny2112

NeoGAF Aggregate Predictions - Nov-2012

1. 360 - 1226K
2. PS3 - 778K
3. 3DS - 595K
4. WIU - 468K
5. WII - 419K
6. PSV - 212K

NPDpocalypse imminent!

Well, the impact will be diluted somewhat by the fact that all three hardware manufacturers released Black Friday numbers last week, but the numbers for the whole month will still be interesting. NPD's trackers are more reliable, after all.

jcm

Are people mixing Jesse Divnich of EEDAR up with Doug Creutz of Cowen & Company? I don't get it.

I guess mcvuk got confused. They have corrected it now, but you can see what it used to say here:

ExAzP.png

donny2112

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure Jesse2040 always pays attention to the PR announcements when he does his predictions. 170K for Wii when Nintendo already posted 300K just for Black Friday would be an example of that. Pretty sure that kind of thing has happened before. Pachter definitely does pay attention to the PR numbers, though. :)

Most interested in the 3DS and Vita month numbers. We already pretty much know what the Wii U number will be and honestly the PS3/360 are about as far from interesting as you can get at this point.

I guess Wii U software should be interesting, although the combined SKUs will probably not let any of them show up.

There will be meltdowns.

I don't see how. People pretty much already know what to expect. PS3/360 is going to be the usual. We got BF Vita sales, so the only question about that is how much it did the rest of the month. 3DS sales are going to be shitty compared to last year, and we got basic Wii U numbers.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Wii did 476k first NPD month, WiiU is around 400k. Only the uninformed will have meltdowns. December is the potential meltdown month on the WiiU front, where it needs to sale 604k just to match the Wii's first December.

Wii did 476k first NPD month, WiiU is around 400k. Only the uninformed will have meltdowns. December is the potential meltdown month on the WiiU front, where it needs to sale 604k just to match the Wii's first December.

Doubt it will, but also doubt this will mean meltdowns. Just 'meltdowns'.
Just lambs who aren't as 'concerned' as they might make out to be.

If its dreadful, expect some. If they're great expect some people not to realise their meltingdown :p

That number was definitely supply constraint problems. If Wii U can't hit over that in December, something went terribly wrong.Wii would easily hit over a million if the supply had been there

I guess Wii U software should be interesting, although the combined SKUs will probably not let any of them show up.
Posted this in another thread, but here's some NPD software sales I managed to dig up for previous console launches for comparison:

Xbox 360 (Nov 2005) 325,000
01 Call of Duty 2: 260,000
02 Madden NFL 06
03 Perfect Dark Zero: 160,000
04 Need for Speed: Most Wanted
05 Project Gotham Racing 3: 79,000
06 Kameo: Elements of Power: 73,000
07 Condemned: Criminal Origins
08 Quake 4: 57,000
09 NBA Live 06
10 Gun
xx Ridge Racer 6: 9,000
~1.2m total games sold

PlayStation 3 (Nov 2006) 197,000
01 Resistance: Fall of Man: 65,000
02 Madden NFL 07
03 Call of Duty 3: 24,000
04 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
05 Ridge Racer 7
06 Need for Speed: Carbon
07 Tony Hawk's Project 8
08 NBA 2K7
09 NBA 07
10 Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom
~215k total games sold

Wii (Nov 2006) 476,000
01 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 412,000
02 Red Steel: 107,000
03 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
04 Rayman Raving Rabbids: over 50,000
05 Call of Duty 3: 48,000
06 Madden NFL 07
07 Trauma Center: Second Opinion
08 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
09 Excite Truck
10 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
~1m total games sold (not counting Wii Sports)

Skiesofwonder

That number was definitely supply constraint problems. If Wii U can't hit over that in December, something went terribly wrong.Wii would easily hit over a million if the supply had been there

True. PS3 sold right under 491k for reference. I don't see it coming close to a million, but I would love to be wrong. 600k is still a healthy number though (IMO).

True. PS3 sold right under 491k for reference. I don't see it coming close to a million, but I would love to be wrong. 600k is still a healthy number though (IMO).

I don't know about healthy because it's going to drop right after Christmas, so if there is not that much demand in the holidays, it's not going to suddenly get better right after. I think a good number would be 800-900k.

Skiesofwonder

I don't know about healthy because it's going to drop right after Christmas, so if there is not that much demand in the holidays, it's not going to suddenly get better right after. I think a good number would be 800-900k.

I don't think it will drop off as much as some think. I think word of mouth for the casuals after the holidays might prop it close to 300k for January, then it might hover around 200-250k for the next two-three months. Basically, better then PS3 but worse then Wii. I believe the months after that, when the newness wears off, is what is going to make or break the console.

As for 800-900k, I would see that as a strong showing for the WiiU in December. The market the WiiU is aiming at winning over (the one that made the Wii such a hit) is much more saturated now, and WiiU is much more a product that needs hands-on time to move units then the Wii ever was.

Edit: I had forgotten that the PS3 sold sub 100k three straight months in a row during its first year on the market (April-June 2007). If WiiU pulls similar months then NPD threads might just bloom again.

What makes you think that Nintendo will actually ship sth. like 1.4 million consoles from launch till the end of year just to the US? They'll probably ship sth. like 3.5 million till the end of the year worldwide. I really don't see a potential for ~1.4 million sellthrough for the US alone (also considering that a considerable amount of those shipments will be in the channel).
It'll probably be like 1 million for USA/Europe/Japan (maybe a bit more for the US and a bit less for Europa/Japan), with ~300k for the rest of the world and another ~200k in transit (shipped as by the term, but not yet on retail shelves).

Skiesofwonder

What makes you think that Nintendo will actually ship sth. like 1.4 million consoles from launch till the end of year just to the US? They'll probably ship sth. like 3.5 million till the end of the year worldwide. I really don't see a potential for ~1.4 million sellthrough for the US alone (also considering that a considerable amount of those shipments will be in the channel).
It'll probably be like 1 million for USA/Europe/Japan (maybe a bit more for the US and a bit less for Europa/Japan), with ~300k for the rest of the world and another ~200k in transit (shipped as by the term, but not yet on retail shelves).

Nintendo is suppose to ship 3.5 million worldwide before the end of the year and another 2 million before the end of March 2013. I would imagine that at least 1.5 million of those 3.5 million units is going to NA, but that is just a guess.

Nintendo is suppose to ship 3.5 million worldwide before the end of the year and another 2 million before the end of March 2013. I would imagine that at least 1.5 million of those 3.5 million units is going to NA, but that is just a guess.

Yep, my guess is 1 million to Japan, 1.5 to the US, and 1 to Other. Maybe a little less to Japan and more to Other.

Wii U will not sell as well as Wii in the first few years, at least. Okay to have the meltdowns now, then. :p

Oh i know it definitely won't. But I do think it should have a better December. Honestly I think the only way meltdowns happen is if Wii U falls below 400k in December.

donny2112

Honestly I think the only way meltdowns happen is if Wii U falls below 400k in December.

Yeah meltdowns for much lower than Wii would be expected. Much higher than Wii doesn't really seem likely with supply. (See GameCube, Xbox, PS2, <insert other home consoles> first Decembers.) So it's mediocre with people trying to read too much into too little (e.g. "It was 2K higher/lower than Wii so that means sellout/bomba!") or really low obvious bomba as options pretty much. :)

What are the chances that Nintendo is actually attracting the blue ocean people once again?

I mean, Wii U was selected as the Times best tech at #2! just behind iPhone 5; I really didn't expect that.

Yeah meltdowns for much lower than Wii would be expected. Much higher than Wii doesn't really seem likely with supply. (See GameCube, Xbox, PS2, <insert other home consoles> first Decembers.) So it's mediocre with people trying to read too much into too little (e.g. "It was 2K higher/lower than Wii so that means sellout/bomba!") or really low obvious bomba as options pretty much. :)

I think supply for December should be much higher than that for the Wii, Nintendo really seems to have focused on NA over Europe and Japan for allotment of systems

I mean, Wii U was selected as the Times best tech at #2! just behind iPhone 5; I really didn't expect that.

They also gave Xenoblade #2 game of the year. They seem much more open to Nintendo products than other video game outlets for mainstream news,

Row

Banned
this NPD will bring back some of the former glory that were the clusterfuck threads of the past

ffdgh

I wonder could nintendo turn wario ware games into 99 cent games for the pad. It would be fun to see the public reaction to them.
KuGsj.gif

Ein Bear

Wii (Nov 2006) 476,000
01 The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: 412,000
02 Red Steel: 107,000
03 Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
04 Rayman Raving Rabbids: over 50,000
05 Call of Duty 3: 48,000
06 Madden NFL 07
07 Trauma Center: Second Opinion
08 Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
09 Excite Truck
10 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
~1m total games sold (not counting Wii Sports)

Damn, that attach rate for Twilight Princess is crazy.

Top Bottom