• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2014 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 9th

Welfare

Just for you Donny

aepWw.gif
That's it! Hahahahahaha.

I don't need to know the numbers. All I nee to know is which system is in the number 1 spot. That's all that is needed to wage fanboy wars!

I swear to God NPD day slips my radar and surprises me every month. Can't believe it's like ~19 hours before the PR and data drops. Quite excited for this one given it's the legendary November numbers. We might be waiting hours for the actual numbers (please save us Aqua) but at least via PR we'll find out whether MS won or not.

Personally I'm expecting an MS win because they were so unbelievably hyper aggressive but we shall see.

Horohoro

PS4 will win MS announces Xbox1 slim at E3 $199.99. They shock the world and win all gen long, Sony sells Playstation to Apple.

Apple vs Ms is next gens big war
If anything I think if buyout would happen I think Samsung is gonna buy Playstation. Not that it will I think if Sony started REALLY getting in the hole personally I believe they would prolly dump Sony Pictures and everything else and focus solely on PS brand.

Horohoro

Getting people to make the jump to current gen earlier due to those deals/bundles is definitely something to be happy/brag about IMO.

Having to ditch part of your hardware, bundle two games, and drop the price to make a loss on the console so it will sell is something to brag about?

Yeah but it's not MS being desperate. It's a powerful and hyper aggressive pricing strategy because MS has the financial capability to do so whilst Sony does not. They're being super competitive leveraging their core competencies to financially out muscle Sony.

So basically just a reiteration of MS' Xbox strategy since the very beginning.

LogN

There's no way Microsoft lost this month. I work in retail, and not that it's ANY kind of hard number, but the One outsold the PS4 at my store 4 to 1. If that's ANY kind of indication for the rest of the country, I'd be hard sold on MS losing.

TomShoe

Banned
Didn't amirox already confirm XB1 won? Or was that some kind of a joke post?

This month they have nothing to brag about even if they win. Heavy discounts and bundles aren't something to brag about.

link?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Though it seems like typical Amir0x hyperbole than anything.

does the stat just look at NA sales or global sales?

What do you mean by "the stat"?

We only discuss The NPD Group's monthly reports of USA sell-through in this thread and the NPD thread.

The NPD Group releases other reports, though, like Canada sell-through, Australia sell-through, and New Zealand sell-through.

Those markets are much smaller than the USA market, so they're usually not discussed.

Example of a Canadian NPD thread on NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182564

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all perform internal sales tracking.

They directly track global shipments and gather estimates of how their platforms fared in the worldwide marketplace.

The good majority of the USA market is comprised of a handful of retailers. All Microsoft / Sony / Nintendo needs to do is call up those retailers + use digital systems set in place to get an estimate of console sell-through.

However, NPD reports provide the only accurate metric of sell-through.

What do you mean by "the stat"?

We only discuss The NPD Group's monthly reports of USA sell-through in this thread and the NPD thread.

The NPD Group releases other reports, though, like Canada sell-through, Australia sell-through, and New Zealand sell-through.

Those markets are much smaller than the USA market, so they're usually not discussed.

Example of a Canadian NPD thread on NeoGAF:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182564

Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo all perform internal sales tracking.

They track global shipments and gather estimates of how their platforms fared in the worldwide marketplace.

The good majority of the USA market is comprised of a handful of retailers. All Microsoft / Sony / Nintendo needs to do is call up those retailers + use digital systems set in place to get an estimate of console sell-through.

However, NPD reports provide the only accurate metric of sell-through.

speaking of Canada, how come now we get absolutely nothing from there :p

Loakum

Banned
If MS don't win Nov, then they're just not ever gonna win any month! I'm a PS4 owner, and even I gotta admit they (Microsoft) had the best deals. They had the best exclusive titles (PS4 exclusives so far has been a massive disappointment, with The Last of Us Remaster being the only exception). MS really put on an impressive offensive in Nov, while Sony just stayed the course. I'm hoping MS won Nov, to put some fire under Sony's ass, but there is a chance it may not happen.

Bgamer90

Banned
Having to ditch part of your hardware, bundle two games, and drop the price to make a loss on the console so it will sell is something to brag about?

Why can't they be happy/brag about it? If they did well then they did well. They obviously would have done much worse without making those moves so quickly. Their moves also help the exclusives coming to the system soon since there's a larger userbase (which will help for higher/more game sales).

Or the race was so close neither side knows who won yet.

Timing is everything. NPD generates heat and buzz so MS/Sony would theoretically be waiting for when the data hits before declaring themselves the winner. This is why PR always comes just before the NPD release. Maximum impact.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How would MS know exact Sony numbers and vice versa? Wouldn't that render NPD useless if it was that easy?

They'd have estimates based on discussions with retail channels. If the gap was big enough it would mitigate for any error margin in estimates so they could announce something. But more like.y they'd wait for initial figures from NPD

When do customers get NPD data vs official NPD press release?

How would MS know exact Sony numbers and vice versa? Wouldn't that render NPD useless if it was that easy?

There's other ways of predicting that aren't quite as exact as NPD. MS themselves made a statement a couple of weeks ago that they were the highest selling, probably based off asking stores for inventory.

But I don't think a company would make an pre-NPD statement based on it, look at Pachter a few months ago who was ~300,000 out on his PS4 prediction from his findings.

Top Bottom