• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2015 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes December 8th

From the article:

Is that true at this point? I thought that PS4 was still behind Wii by a couple of million units as far as the "fastest selling console" title goes. Either way, this is an incredible turnaround from last gen in regard to control of total market share.

It's true that PS4 is behind Wii. But the fact of the matter is PS2 was the best selling console of all time and PS4 is currently outpacing it. If the Wii didn't hit a wall, it could've easily blasted past PS2, but in my opinion, the Wii crowd shifted to iPhones. If the PS4 continues as is, for the foreseeable future, it will eventually outpace Wii. I feel like PS4 is speeding up.

It's true that PS4 is behind Wii. But the fact of the matter is PS2 was the best selling console of all time and PS4 is currently outpacing it. If the Wii didn't hit a wall, it could've easily blasted past PS2, but in my opinion, the Wii crowd shifted to iPhones. If the PS4 continues as is, for the foreseeable future, it will eventually outpace Wii. I feel like PS4 is speeding up.
It will depend on two things:
VR and NX

Bluenoser

Does anyone know what to make of Major Nelson's info from his blog, and how it will impact the sales totals from Nov? Since he's just talking about BF alone, it's hard to extrapolate to the whole month, but this info has to be telling.... building on their huge sales from last year with a 22% increase is no joke.

http://majornelson.com/2015/12/03/x...-records-windows-10-gaming-continues-to-rise/

"Worldwide Xbox Black Friday sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360, global Xbox Live Gold subscriptions were up over 40 percent, and U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S."

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Looking to little US, If I got my numbers right, Halo 5 in the UK sold 150k in the launch week, and in the next 4 weeks sold ~102k, so around a 32% drop MOM. If the US were to see a similar drop, Halo 5 would sell ~636k. It could make it in the top 10, but could also just miss it.

To be fair, those sales include bundle, but NPD doen't.

So, withouth bundle it will most likely be < 600k. But i still think it will chart.

Sterok

In 2012, 7 titles broke 600k; 8 in 2013, 11 in 2014.
I remember you posted a chart awhile back showing that last year games 2-10(?) sold all about the same. What does that say about Pokemon, which took up two of those spots despite having its sales cut in two?

PS4 seems to be nice and steady. I doubt the specific bundled game matters as much as making the console cheap and looking like a good value.

What does that say about Pokemon, which took up two of those spots despite having its sales cut in two?

th

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
To those of you mentioning the PS4 sale ending on 12/19, perhaps that's done so that people will think twice about returning their $299 PS4 after seeing it for $349 in stores. After all, there is a staggering amount of returns seen in retail after Christmas in the weeks that follow it.

"Might as well keep it, now. I got it for cheaper."

With SW:BF and COD bundles? No.
Yeah, when it was the only bundle at $300, NDC probably had a near-100% attach rate with new hardware (assuming you count that as an attach at all). But now that the others are $300, if expect their sales are primarily being limited by available stock. Edit: Wasn't it just Star Wars at $300 though?

Maybe Kenzo was asking if we thought most new users were just grabbing NDC, whether it came with their bundle or not? Probably not, would be my guess. The NDC bundle didn't exactly set the charts on fire at $350, so I doubt there's a bunch of people willing to drop $60 on it over and above the cost of their bundle. I mean, I don't think it's selling terribly, but I'd be surprised if it was flying off the shelves or anything like that.

Last Saturday before Xmas?

Yup. It's called "Super Saturday." Even bigger than Black Friday as a single shopping day.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-super-saturday-20141223-story.html

The Saturday before Christmas saw sales hit $23 billion, surpassing Black Friday's $20 billion this year, according to research firm Customer Growth Partners.

"Super Saturday was favored by the fact that it was an ideal five days prior to Christmas -- close enough to create a sense of urgency in shoppers, but not too close to conflict with most travel plans," said Craig Johnson, president of Customer Growth Partners.

The entire weekend before Christmas raked in about $42 billion, up from $41 billion in the same period a year earlier, according to research firm Customer Growth Partners. The four-day Thanksgiving weekend, which covers Black Friday, still saw higher sales of $51 billion.

Is there a possibility that it won't even be in the top 10 for this month (not including bundles of course)?

Last year the cut was ~660k, so it has, but if I had to guess I would say that Halo 5 will be in top 10 because october sales was just 5 days.

It may not make Top 10, and it it may make Top 5. There are so many variables because of November Shopping and Black Friday. The fact that Halo5 launched at the very end of October, is Microsofts flagship title with great response from reviewers and gamers, and that it will be popular on Christmas Lists, make me think it WILL make the top 10 in NPD for November.

I think it is pretty safe to Assume that you will see Fallout, COD, SW Battlefront, Minecraft, NBA2k, and Madden in the top 10 this month. I know people are down on SW Battlefront, but I have shared this a couple of times now, my students and the kids in my school are bonkers over Battlefront. That game is going to be on a LOT of Christmas Lists. So that definitely leaves room for Halo to get up in that Top 10. But you could always see some weird game pop up that was on sale that we weren't expecting. Like a WWE, Rockband/Guitar Hero, or Need for Speed or something crazy. Who knows? It will be interesting.

Does anyone know what to make of Major Nelson's info from his blog, and how it will impact the sales totals from Nov? Since he's just talking about BF alone, it's hard to extrapolate to the whole month, but this info has to be telling.... building on their huge sales from last year with a 22% increase is no joke.

http://majornelson.com/2015/12/03/x...-records-windows-10-gaming-continues-to-rise/

"Worldwide Xbox Black Friday sales in the Xbox Store broke records with an increase of 57 percent across Xbox One and Xbox 360, global Xbox Live Gold subscriptions were up over 40 percent, and U.S. Xbox One console sales at retail were up 22 percent over the same period last year, making it the second biggest Black Friday week in 15 years of Xbox history in the U.S."

There was a whole thread about that PR, and they broke it down, built it up, decoded it, encoded it, translated it, and more. Its should have any of the answers, and even more questions, that you are looking for!

To be fair in even the best case scenario NX is as much of a threat to PS4 as N64 was to PS1.
It's not about being a threat. It's about being the new hot shit and slowing PS4 down. Sony's console will sell a lot, but to end up record breaking depends on some lucky circomstances.
Oh, forgot another one: length of this gen.

It's not about being a threat. It's about being the new hot shit and slowing PS4 down. Sony's console will sell a lot, but to end up record breaking depends on some lucky circomstances.
Oh, forgot another one: length of this gen.

PS4 is probably not going to surpass PS2 so what records are we talking about? I think it will surpass Wii and PS1 though.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Update:

#1 / WIU: Mario Kart 8 (—)
#14 / PS4: Star Wars Battlefront (&#8595;3)
#21 / PS4: Uncharted the Nathan Drake collection (&#8595;5)
#23 / XB1: Gears of War Ultimate edition (&#8593;16)
#46 / XB1: Holidays bundle (&#8595;6)
#87 / 3DS XL (&#8593;3)
#95 / XB1 + Kinect (&#8595;34)

Update 2:

#4 / WIU: Mario Kart 8 (&#8595;3)
#14 / PS4: Star Wars Battlefront (—)
#22 / XB1: Gears of War Ultimate edition (&#8593;1)
#26 / PS4: Uncharted the Nathan Drake collection (&#8595;5)
#49 / XB1: Holidays bundle (&#8595;3)
#87 / 3DS XL (—)

Do we have any avatar bets or anything else of excitement going on besides trying to translate MS PR without a Rosetta Stone? C'mon let's spice this thing up a bit. Who's eating a hat?

Do we have any avatar bets or anything else of excitement going on besides trying to translate MS PR without a Rosetta Stone? C'mon let's spice this thing up a bit. Who's eating a hat?
I'd be up for an avatar bet if it meant we got confirmation about how MS measured their week. Any takers? :p

I'll take the hard bet and say that XB1 takes this month by around 100k or more.

No hat eating though but I could do something avatar related.

I know, it's the hardest bet ever. :p

RexNovis

Banned
I'll take the hard bet and say that XB1 takes this month by around 100k or more.

No hat eating though but I could do something avatar related.

I know, it's the hardest bet ever. :p

I seriously hope someone takes you up on this if only to eliminate one of the Geralt avatars. Their prevalence tends to make threads a bit confusing.

I seriously hope someone takes you up on this if only to eliminate one of the Geralt avatars. Their prevalence tends to make threads a bit confusing.

Bahahaha, I suppose that's as good a reason as any. I've considered changing it several times but Geralts a boss, what can I do.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
My avatar bet:

XB1 Nov+Dec 2014 ( 2.52m ) > PS4 Nov+Dec 2015

When i made this bet i always said i was not so sure, but only for fun i accepted.
I will probabily loss now :p but never say never. xD

About this NPD, who believe PS4 will sell more than 1.23 million?

At first, i would say PS4 was gonna sell 1.3m (before Oct NPD), but we all predicted a lot more, when i saw only 275k i dropped my prediction to 1.15m, and i made this bet.

I made a mistake xP

BUT, for my dear lucina, i still hope to win. :D

May I take this opportunity to suggest a radically different looking geralt then

At least with something like these it would be easy to differentiate you from the army of other Geralts.

Wow, that's some good stuff. I appreciate it.

When I get home I'll whip something up and change it. I quite like the second one.

Top Bottom