• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

Aiii

So not worth it
DEAN AMBROSE WEEK, DAY 2:

Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns: Who are they and why did they help CM Punk?
BY RYAN MURPHY & JOEY STYLES

INDIANAPOLIS — It may have been the most contentious ending to a Survivor Series main event since Mr. McMahon changed the course of WWE history 15 years ago on a cold Montreal night.

In a turn of events that floored the WWE Universe, CM Punk retained his WWE Title against Ryback and John Cena in a Triple Threat Match when WWE NXT competitors Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins and Roman Reigns hit the ring and brutalized Ryback. Swarming the mighty beast like a pack of vicious jackals, the three young stars of WWE’s developmental system smashed Ryback through an announce table, enabling The Straight Edge Savior to pin Cena and sneak away with his championship. (FULL RESULTS | PHOTOS) But why did Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns target the human wrecking ball? And was their support of CM Punk intentional? (PHOTOS OF ROLLINS | PHOTOS OF AMBROSE | PHOTOS OF REIGNS)

Those questions were posed by outraged WWE fans across all of social media moments after the outrageous outcome of WWE’s fall classic, but answers were harder to come by. After all, CM Punk and his nauseating underling Paul Heyman had little to say to WWE.com moments after they got their grubby hands on their golden prize. (WATCH) But who wouldn’t point fingers at this loathsome pair?

Sure, Punk was quick to disassociate himself from Brad Maddox, the fame-obsessed former WWE official who helped him defeat Ryback at WWE Hell in a Cell in a desperate attempt to get on Mr. McMahon’s radar. Yet few believed The Straight Edge Superstar had no prior connection to this slimy hanger-on, which will make it all the more difficult for the WWE Champion to wash his hands of these three thugs. (WATCH ROLLINS & REIGNS IN ACTION)

So why did the WWE NXT competitors do what they did? Was it an anti-Ryback-centric plot designed to target the destructive Superstar and make the boldest possible statement? Much the same way the villainous Nexus battered Cena more than two years ago, these new faces may have sought to make a similar impact at the expense of the fastest-rising star in WWE. More than that, the trio could have arrived just to raise hell in WWE. If they can disrupt the final contest of one of WWE’s biggest events, what else are they capable of?

It’s impractical to ignore the power of Punk’s influence. The Voice of the Voiceless long ago proved he was capable of leading wayward Superstars when he captained The Straight Edge Society in 2010. If any competitor is capable of bending young minds to meet his needs, it is CM Punk.

Or maybe Paul Heyman is the one to blame. Infamous for guiding his ragtag ECW roster like a charismatic cult leader, the mad genius has gained a reputation for earning the loyalty of a small group of competitors known as “Paul Heyman guys.” CM Punk admitted to being one. So did Brock Lesnar. Is it possible that Dean Ambrose, Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins are, in fact, “Paul Heyman guys”?

For now, all we can do is speculate. But one thing is for certain: When Punk and Heyman arrive in Dayton, Ohio for Monday’s Raw, they will have a lot of explaining to do.

As for Ambrose, Rollins and Reigns? Read on to find out what WWE.com learned about these WWE NXT competitors.

Seth Rollins is the first ever WWE NXT Champion, having won a tournament to crown the inaugural titleholder. This native of Davenport, Iowa, came into NXT with a sterling reputation from his work on the independent circuit and immediately made an impact in WWE’s developmental system. Perhaps the word best used to describe Rollins would be “chaotic.” His in-ring style is calculated, yet frantic. Employing a combination of high-risk maneuvers and devastating strikes, Rollins’ offense is spectacular and elicits show-closing ovations.

Dean Ambrose is every bit as effective as Rollins, but there's something slightly off about this dangerous competitor. From the moment he marched onto the scene, WWE NXT fans were unable to take their eyes off Ambrose. Fearless, wild and always unpredictable, the iconoclast more than lived up to his reputation as a world-class competitor and infamous troublemaker.

In October last year, Ambrose created quite a stir when WWE champion CM Punk appeared at NXT for an autograph signing. Ambrose decided to verbally assault Punk on the microphone, resulting in a raucous and unforgettable scene when The Straight Edge Savior challenged Ambrose that evening. The 30-minute showdown between the two physical competitors blew away the lucky fans who witnessed it.

Like his fellow WWE NXT standouts, Roman Reigns is a fierce competitor and an exceptional athlete. Inside the ring, Reigns is a heavy hitter, and he is just as aggressive outside the ring. The powerhouse always acts with a sense of purpose, depicting power and commanding respect. Put simply, Roman Reigns views himself as the most valuable commodity in NXT.

As for why these three men interfered in the final bout at Survivor Series? Answers may await Monday night on Raw at 8/7C.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh I can't stand Ambrose at all. I'm going to retaliate by burying everyone in the GWF. AAAAAAAAAH

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to LAW. They said the stable (if there is one) should be called Cult of Personality.

Horrible ideas. They should be called "no weight room days"

ALRIGHT I'M DONE I'LL STOP. I'll shut up and wait to see whether all of em flame out at the hands of Cena or manage to Rise Above Booking.

Kaladin

Even though I actually like Reigns on NXT, I would replace him with Ohno easily....but I understand that they probably went with a non-indie guy to avoid making it a stable of all indie guys.

Aiii

So not worth it
Even though I actually like Reigns on NXT, I would replace him with Ohno easily....but I understand that they probably went with a non-indie guy to avoid making it a stable of all indie guys.

It suprised me really that Hero wasn't a part of it, but I figure they didn't want to remove both Ohno and Rollins from NXT right now. Not expecting Hero till after WM.

Kaladin

It suprised me really that Hero wasn't a part of it, but I figure they didn't want to remove both Ohno and Rollins from NXT right now. Not expecting Hero till after WM.

Rollins and Reigns should still be a part of NXT

At least for a little while.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think Rollins will drop the belt at the next tapings and won't look back.

Really no use keeping them around on NXT if they're on the main roster aside from an occassional cameo.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Hero will be a face and ally with Cena to stop the Evil Hobo Team :)

Listening to LAW. They said the stable (if there is one) should be called Cult of Personality.

Or Dean Ambrose and the AmBro's.

But I bet this will end up with Cena vs Punk 154 and Ryback vs Ambro's at TLC even though the Ambro's stopped Cena from being beat of Ryback and after Punk beat Cena with no help while Ryback was the one screwed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Nah bro, call it DO YOU EVEN LIFT?

It's not a meme with me.

PEOPLE NEED TO LIFT GODDAMMIT

Also, their stable should be named something that describes them well. I'm thinking we've seen it before in 2000...it was called...

"DERELICTE"

iDe1R.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Also, can I express my respect for Orton doing the job for Ziggler, I guess he's really close to cashing in now.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Also, can I express my respect for Orton doing the job for Ziggler, I guess he's really close to cashing in now.

Orton's always been a GREAT DUDE. Especially when it was the Legacy 3-man team. I miss those days.

A friend of mine who wasn't watching wrestling at the time called it "Orton and his 2 butt pirates" - there certainly was an air of...sensuality to their proceedings.

And then there was the REALLY weird and hot moment of Orton and Trips in a parking garage sitting down jerking each other off. I swear, that shit was FILTH! FILTH!@

Kaladin

I'm probAbly alone in this, but I'm more hyped by the debut of Rollins than Ambrose. Rollins has ring skills better than most of the roster.....most.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm probAbly alone in this, but I'm more hyped by the debut of Rollins than Ambrose. Rollins has ring skills better than most of the roster.....most.

Rollings is better in the ring agreed.

Ambrose is way more interesting on the mic though imo.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'm probUbly alone in this, but I'm more hyped by the debut of Rollins than Ambrose. Rollins has ring skills better than most of the roster.....most.

We all know that anyone moving from NXT to WWE is going to have a neutered move set to accommodate the "safe" wrestling of the WWE.

jmdajr

I was thinking the other day Wrassle gaf should do a secret santa, with only wrestling related gifts. I think it be fun.

Aiii

So not worth it
Viewership for WWE’s YouTube pre-show, which featured 3MB vs. Santino and Zack Ryder, peaked at 3,380 simultaneous viewers. This is way down from WWE’s previous PPV pre-shows.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah him and some NXT babies came out and put Ryback through a table.

It took 3 of them to lift Ryback. Something even that physically underdeveloped CM Punk had no issue doing. This does not bode well.

I attended Chikara's "The Cibernetico Rises" yesterday. Some quick thoughts:

1) I've always thought that Icarus is a fine wrestler, but it occurred to me that his character is pretty much stuck at Chikara. I don't think he can get the nuclear rudo heat he gets from the Chikara crowd anywhere else, and while he's a solid wrestler, his style wouldn't fit above undercard matches anywhere else. It's not that surprising that other guys from his Chikara Wrestling Factory class (Jigsaw, Hallowicked, Gran Akuma) have tried to make it elsewhere, only Icarus sticks around.

2) I have fond memories of Fire Ant from that Young Lion's Cup match against Vin Gerard, but the Ants feel really stale.

3) The mustache on Dasher Hatfield's mask is tremendous, and it makes the costume work.

4) 1-2-3 Kid and Marty Janetty were fine. Janetty tried his best Gibson impression, and 1-2-3 Kid made the best of his hot tag.

5) I appreciate the joviality that the Chikara crew brings to the shows, but the ROH team just seemed filled to the brim with personalities, while the Chikara guys just all seemed plucky (3.0), wacky (Spectral Envoy), or douche (Donst). Akuma was probably the blandest of all, but he's been that way for years. Kingston is the best defined character out of them.

6) Kevin Steen is tremendous, but Jimmy Jacobs also deserves a lot of credit for the weird charisma he brings. When he first returned to ROH, he felt really stale and flat. Maybe absence has made me fonder, but I enjoyed the bits of Jimmy Jacobs that we got in the Cibernetico match.

7) Mark Briscoe's beard and mannerisms make him look more deranged than ever. He's approaching Necro Butcher levels of deranged appearance.

8) The Bravados were fine. One is chunkier than the other.

9) The Young Bucks are great at playing cocky assholes, but their offensive moves always seem contrived.

10) I haven't been keeping up with the anti-Chikara storyline at all, so I don't know what the morally questionable actions that Quackenbush referred to in his monologue to Jigsaw. Can someone fill me in on that story?

Spoilery talk for the show in case anyone is waiting for the DVD.

1) That said about Waltman and Janetty, I have no idea how they would mesh with the Young Bucks in a 2/3 falls championship match. While they didn't look gassed by the end of their match with the Heartthrobs, they weren't exactly in a sprint with them either.

2) I was surprised that they violated the Ricky Steamboat Face in Peril Rule of giving the face at least a punch or two while he's getting demolished by the heels. Frightmare in the first face-in-peril sequence was fine because he would try to escape, but the Jagged face-in-peril sequence dragged because the ROH guys just kept beating on him and beating on him.

3) As expected, we got the set-up for Kingston vs. Donst. In a post-show promo, Kingston said that he made Donst in Wallingford, CT (a show that I attended, and I can still remember the sounds from the beating Kingston laid on Donst), and that he'll finish Donst in Philadelphia. A solid, sell-the-next-show promo from Kingston.

4) Ironically, the only person in the ring without a mask (Quackenbush) failed to see Jigsaw's turn coming.

Aiii

So not worth it
Btw, divas. As much as the "AJ Scandal" (ugh, really, ugh!) sucked last night, the fact that Tamina is back and they're moving Kaitlyn towards Aksana does bode well for the divas division.

Really, we'll have AJ vs. Tamina, Kaitlyn vs. Aksana and I guess, Eve vs. Layla all at once?

Sure, it'll still be 3 minutes matches and weak storytelling, but when's the last time there were multiple divas-feuds at the same time?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
But Avengers23 - Did you LOVE it? It sounds pretty damn good from your writeup but I wanna know how you felt!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Btw, divas. As much as the "AJ Scandal" (ugh, really, ugh!) sucked last night, the fact that Tamina is back and they're moving Kaitlyn towards Aksana does bode well for the divas division.

Really, we'll have AJ vs. Tamina, Kaitlyn vs. Aksana and I guess, Eve vs. Layla all at once?

Sure, it'll still be 3 minutes matches and weak storytelling, but when's the last time there were multiple divas-feuds at the same time?

I thought that wasn't Aksana that attacked Kaitlyn??

I haven't been keeping up with the anti-Chikara storyline at all, so I don't know what the morally questionable actions that Quackenbush referred to in his monologue to Jigsaw. Can someone fill me in on that story?

I wasn't there, so I don't know what Quack said exactly, but the storyline is basically that Quack has been more than a little over-zealous when dealing with the GEKIDO invaders (who are all former CHIKARA students) and has attempted to seriously injure several of their members. This has led to Jigsaw questioning his motives, the insinuation being that Quack knows more about GEKIDO than he is letting on and would prefer to see them put out of action before their true identities can be revealed.

Top Bottom