• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November Wrasslin |OT| CM Punk's Countdown to RESPECT

Valravn

Wanted to know who that Roman Reigns guy was and he is an Anoa'i. That family is big! Maybe a future stable with the Uso's? :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
You know what gimmick was awesome and shouldn't have worked? Finlay before the Hornswoggle bullshit. Just a big, buff old dude who came out and beat the fuck out of people as a heel. He rode the line perfectly of upper mid card too. Like, he wasn't going to win the title, but he could fuck up the champion.

And that music was great.
finlay7.gif

Finlay's theme
Rey Mysterio vs Finlay No Mercy 2007
A documentary on Finlay that was uploaded last month(hour long)

Finlay Monday, I say.
tumblr_mc5yt4ku0m1rjn9gjo1_500.jpg

They need to be a dominant strong stable with Punk and Heyman. If they do this and not have Ryback/cena running over them they will get Ambrose/Rollins over super quick.

Stables are always a good idea if done correcty.

Not cena or ryberg in next ppv, but the Rock is waiting in RR...

Finlay was so good, I still remember his first WWE match against Matt Hardy where they played up his inventive brawling style with him catching Hardy's baseball slide in the ring apron and later stomping his head into the steel steps, it was effective, I immediately took notice.

Best part was that Finlay was always reliable, you may not get a 5 star classic out of him but he seemed to deliver a solid match each week, I think it was Summerslam 2007 that opened with a barely built up Finlay/Kane match and once the PPV was done felt like i'd enjoyed that more than the main events.
His old music was the tits as well, then they changed it to that disgraceful jaunty cack and went out of the way to undo any of the ferocity he once had with the Hornswoggle stuff.

But i'll always have the memories, Smackdown 2006 where every episode started off with Booker and Finlay getting in a kerfuffle with Batista and Lashley leading to a tag team match playa.

As for Survivor Series, well that tag match was okay, the finish for the main event leaves the door open for an interesting development but that aside it was uneventful, i'm kind of pleased that Show retained.

Striker

They need to be a dominant strong stable with Punk and Heyman. If they do this and not have Ryback/cena running over them they will get Ambrose/Rollins over super quick.

Stables are always a good idea if done correcty.
Last stable that really worked was Evolution. But I pin that on the roster that helped guys like Orton and Batista, and having Triple H running the show, and Flair's presence in the group.

Legacy was a joke, as was Nexus, SES, and so on. Nexus had promise, but they screwed that up real fast.

Aiii

So not worth it
Remember when Legacy had Sim Snuka and Manu? remember the heavy breathing segment of uneasy watching? it was a legacy indeed.

You can't be excited if i'm not excited as well!

How are you not excited. ITS DEAN AMBROSE WEEK FOR REALS! We've collectively waited for this moment for nearly a year now.

After all the hype can he truly deliver us and WWE itself a beverage of Ambrosia? we shall see.
At least i'm slightly interested in this Raw but I don't think my hype will return until the road to the rumble begins.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I'll give it to you nerds: I'm not much an indie scene follower, and Dean Ambrose is like "Who? Why should I care?".... but I am buying into your hype after last night because of the way you guys collectively shit yourselves.

strobogo

Banned
Finlay was so good, I still remember his first WWE match against Matt Hardy where they played up his inventive brawling style with him catching Hardy's baseball slide in the ring apron and later stomping his head into the steel steps, it was effective, I immediately took notice.

Best part was that Finlay was always reliable, you may not get a 5 star classic out of him but he seemed to deliver a solid match each week, I think it was Summerslam 2007 that opened with a barely built up Finlay/Kane match and once the PPV was done felt like i'd enjoyed that more than the main events.
His old music was the tits as well, then they changed it to that disgraceful jaunty cack and went out of the way to undo any of the ferocity he once had with the Hornswoggle stuff.

But i'll always have the memories, Smackdown 2006 where every episode started off with Booker and Finlay getting in a kerfuffle with Batista and Lashley leading to a tag team match playa.

Finlay is so weird because somehow he got better after 6 years off and the serious leg injury and in a new company where his style was rarely if ever used. And then he instantly became one of the best guys in the company who could wrestle absolutely anyone, no matter what style, talent, or experience level and pull something good-great out of them. Coming back at nearly 50 and instantly being the most respected guy on the roster was so good. I have very fond memories of him stiffing the fuck out of the WCW mid card, both pre and post disgusting mullet and mustache days. Ryback needs to work with Finlay for a few months.

strobogo

Banned
I kind of do, just to see him get up and beat the fuck out of Ryback for it.

EDIT: I enjoyed the main event quite a bit. I see no reason why Ryback couldn't be capable of Ultimate Warrior at his best with proper match lay out and some better cardio. I mean, he was huffing and puffing not even 5 minutes into the match. And he hadn't even really done anything at that point besides toss Punk around once or twice. But it was pretty good. Especially when Punk and Cena went crazy just beating the shit out of Ryback on the floor, leading to the table suplex. This and the opener were pretty good. I enjoyed opening SS match a lot more than Team Foley vs Team Ziggler. Not that the main one was bad, but it was boring and I feel like it was something that could have been really great considering the talent in the ring. I did lol at Randy's "....I hate you" to Foley in the locker room.

Sheamus vs Big Show was also pretty good. It's amazing how much better in ring and out the Sheamus/Big Show feud has been compared to ADR vs Sheamus.

Striker

So is Dolph going to use the super kick now, or is it just a signature move of sorts for him? He does do a sleeper, and has the Zig Zag. I guess a super kick can be that "outta nowhere" move that many guys use.

For instance, http://youtu.be/fLwNTI2Cam4 - looks like the same sort of situation to last night. Different outcome, though.
What a move! ... fuck you Cole

re: Sheamus and Big Show

That feud has been better than any Cena-Punk-Ryback or any other WWE title BS since Daniel Bryan left it. I guess not having the heel get beat every time kind of gives it that impact.

Ithil

So is Dolph going to use the super kick now, or is it just a signature move of sorts for him? He does do a sleeper, and has the Zig Zag. I guess a super kick can be that "outta nowhere" move that many guys use.

For instance, http://youtu.be/fLwNTI2Cam4 - looks like the same sort of situation to last night. Different outcome, though.
What a move! ... fuck you Cole

re: Sheamus and Big Show

That feud has been better than any Cena-Punk-Ryback or any other WWE title BS since Daniel Bryan left it. I guess not having the heel get beat every time kind of gives it that impact.

He used it at the house show I went to, he even did the tuning up the band taunt, though he didn't hit it til later.

Also, anyone notice Punk doing this same gesture during the match:
tumblr_mdpus5KrhY1qkixl0.gif

Ithil

Btw, dead crowd was dead last night.

Have some fun people, you've paid alot of money to be there.

They weren't dead, HIAC was dead. They were average, really, they woke up for the two elimination matches and the WHC match certainly.

strobogo

Banned
Yes, but the finish of the WHC match was pretty silly. I think Sheamus eating the pin after Big Show's shenanigans would have been the better call. Keeping it that way would have made Big Show look better for getting away with screwing Sheamus over, and Sheamus still would have had every reason to come out on Raw and ask for another shot. But the finish being the way it was didn't really do much for either guy. Instead of the heel using his heel talents to win (while leaving Sheamus an open window to have another shot and over come those odds and give Big Show his comeuppance), the face wins by DQ despite being knocked out and the heel gets his comeuppance anyway. What happened after the match should have happened after the blow off match of the feud, not in the middle of the feud.

Instead, you have the face that won the match but not the title, but was the last man standing and left the heel down and out after begging for mercy. That's usually a feud ending kind of thing, not half way point.

Aiii

So not worth it
They weren't dead, HIAC was dead. They were average, really, they woke up for the two elimination matches and the WHC match certainly.

Before that they only reacted to the worst part of the show though, a few cheers for AJ (and some frigging What-chants) and some moderate booing for Vickie.

I just don't get it, you're at a wrestling show, yelling and chanting is what is supposed to be the reason you go to them.

Ithil

CM Punk, Bryan Danielson, Tyler Black, Claudio Castagnoli, & Jon Moxley are likely to all be on RAW today. Now that's odd.

Ithil

The internet hated Hunter, but now Hunter is making their wet dreams come true.

I hate HHH on screen these days, never had a problem with him as a part of management, he's far more in tune than Vince and is a wrestling fan first and a "sports entertainment" fan second.

Aiii

So not worth it
I was so happy during the main event for the Spanish Announce Team, they finally got to keep their table instead of the US Team.

Then Ambrose and his merry band of misschief makers came and they still didn't get to keep it. I wonder if they have a clause in their contract that gives them hazard pay per destroyed table.

Kyoufu

I hate HHH on screen these days, never had a problem with him as a part of management, he's far more in tune than Vince and is a wrestling fan first and a "sports entertainment" fan second.

I call bullshit on that. None of these wrestlers would get a sniff of TV time if it wasn't for Punk's influence. Triple H is just Vince 2.0

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I call bullshit on that. None of these wrestlers would get a sniff of TV time if it wasn't for Punk's influence. Triple H is just Vince 2.0

You know Hunter is who got Ambrose hired, right? Punk can't even get his best friend to keep a job in the WWE, why would he be able to get Ambrose hired and debuted?

I know it's hard to believe, but not every single good thing in wrestling is the result of CM Punk's will.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Upon further review.

The ending sucked

Cena and Punk put Rysnack through 1 table and he got up like 3 minutes later like it's all good.

A powerbomb kills him tho?

da fuck

Aiii

So not worth it
Upon further review.

The ending sucked

Cena and Punk put Rysnack through 1 table and he got up like 3 minutes later like it's all good.

A powerbomb kills him tho?

da fuck

What? You make no sense, he was put through a table and he recovered in 3 minutes. Makes sense as he's supposed to be a superpowerful beast. Then he gets put through another table and a minute later CM Punk wins the match.

How does it not make sense that a second time through a table would take him at least another 3 minutes to recover? If not more due to already being put through one before that?

Ithil

HHH is behind the new NXT, the tag team revival, and is the guy that hired the likes of Cesaro, Ohno, Kharma, Sin Cara, PAC, Sara Del Rey, and is behind the pushes of Sandow and others. He's most definitely not Vince 2.0.

I'm sure Punk has pushed for the likes of Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro, definitely, but HHH facilitated their hiring and appears to be pushing for diverse signings.

Kyoufu

HHH is behind the new NXT, the tag team revival, and is the guy that hired the likes of Cesaro, Ohno, Kharma, Sin Cara, PAC, Sara Del Rey, and is behind the pushes of Sandow and others. He's most definitely not Vince 2.0.

I'm sure Punk has pushed for the likes of Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro, definitely, but HHH facilitated their hiring and appears to be pushing for diverse signings.

He will pedigree them all tonight.

Kaladin

So I have been without cable and Internet this weekend because of a down cable wire.......did I miss anything last night?

Is it Dean Ambrose week yet?

Cagey

Banned
Why do I have the doomsday feeling that Triple H is setting us up for a stable of disrespected "we don't look like bodybuilders" wrestlers, the eternal gripe of one CM Punk, only to have them all get murdered by The Ryback and John Cena (combined bench press of 950 lbs bro).

And as that happens, Triple H and Vince McMahon will both strike most muscular poses at each other, father and son, united.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
What? You make no sense, he was put through a table and he recovered in 3 minutes. Makes sense as he's supposed to be a superpowerful beast. Then he gets put through another table and a minute later CM Punk wins the match.

How does it not make sense that a second time through a table would take him at least another 3 minutes to recover? If not more due to already being put through one before that?

Something was just off. I think it was Cena getting up and hobbling off like 10 seconds after being pinned.

Top Bottom