• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that the dust is settled, Quiet's probably the most embarrassing gaming character

Ralemont

not me
Yes it made sense but you know what didn't? The fact that she didn't communicate in writing! That's just something I'll never forgive. Everytime shit could've gone better if Quiet could communicate something I kept thinking "why won't she grab a pen and paper and write it???"

What would she write? Remember that she says at the end she couldn't decide for awhile whether she wanted to kill BB or not. So anything that potentially threatens her ability to do that (hey I'm infected with a parasite, kill me or exile me) is out.

Ishida

Banned
The character of Quiet was fucking terrible in absolutely every sense.

"B-b-but her arc!!"

*Enemy is sent to kill dude. Enemy falls for dude. Enemy sides with dude. Enemy 'sacrifices' themselves for dude*

Quiet's story was boring, cliché and poorly developed. Her design was atrocious, also. I didn't feel anything when she left my team.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
First off

SniperWolf1.jpg

Sniper Wolf, Awesome sniper, but dressed like that...... while in the middle of Alaska.
Any explanation on that? Nope
It's a bit goofy but at least she's being all seductive there.

Oh, here she is when in combat, outdoors:

What's this? A winter jacket? Why, it's almost as if some thought had been put into some amounts of believability! But that can't be because "lol MGS" right?

The Beauty and Beasts photoshoots.......... Pure Fanservice
Any explanation on that? Nope
Yeah, people criticized the shit out of this, too. It was rather tasteless.

it has gotten to the point where I am finding it hard to believe that people saying this have actually played the earlier MGS entries.
You would be wrong.

Pretty girls cant be snipers? What?
Huh? How did you get that from what I wrote? I clearly meant that female snipers and soldiers don't dress up like Quiet when they're soldiering and sniping. Christ.

You can't just take away fan-service for males and keep it in for females. That's not fair.
Hahahahaha
Nice one.

Yes, all of the problems are absolutely exacerbated by these scenes.

^ I mean wtf. Really? I legit want to ask how Kojima possibly thinks this is the antithesis of women in games.

"It's a video game" is never a valid excuse. The medium is so much better than this.
God DAMN those scenes make me cringe

Lingitiz

Kojima can be a perv if he wants, but the whole 'ashamed of your words and deeds thing" was pretty stupid. Go ahead and do your dumb oversexualized thing, just don't dress it up as something more.

Espada

If 'those' cutscenes and some of the stuff she does in the helicopter didn't exist, I would disagree.

I really wanted to like Quiet because she is interesting but Kojima really went too far with the sexualisation that it didn't make sense with her personality. Hell, even if it was Eva preforming these acts in MGS3 it would still probably be too much.

Absolutely. EVA had her own character, motives, goals, etc... In the moments where she had less clothes on than Quiet it was a means to an end (and she was attracted to Big Boss). It didn't feel like she was performing for the player, and where the game lets you ogle her it's through Big Boss' perspective.

I went in already skeptical about the excuse Kojima gave about "words and deeds" and it only got worse when I realized she's the only important female character. And that she's little more than a masturbatory aid. Her asswhooping in 45 was nice, but was not enough to offset crap like the cage shower scene, helicopter writhing, rain scene, etc...

And why didn't she write things down!?

If it wasn't for the fact her story was the best part of MGSV and the part that made me feel most invested and made me feel the most loss.... I still wouldn't say she'd the most embarassing gaming character.

Markoman

Holy shit, after looking at those GIFs has nobody realized how clever this is???
Yes, Quiet is a very sexualized character and going by some of the GIFs she does everthying to attract the player's/ Big Boss' attention. Real talk bruhs: she wants it!
What happens? Nothing! Her portrayal might seem cheap, but she is only a means for a greater cause: to show how noble the main character is!!!! He could easily exploit Quiet's inappropriate and unprofessional behaviour, but he stays focussed on the mission. A true hero! Kojima is a genius! You all should feel ashamed now.

Alternative: Venom/MB staff soldier is gay and Quiet is too stupid to realize this/ is in denial/ or has the strong ambition to turn a gay man around.

Krabboss

Once the dust has settled on this thread I'd like to see where people with anime avatars fall on this argument.

They're generally the ones which champion wank fodder.

Rising_Hei

We should have every kind of character, variety is nice.
People is overreacting over this Quiet thing, or about the sexuality of games, this is why we can't have nice things, let's stop thinking like Tea Party :/

And no, Quiet isn't embarrasing, what makes her embarrasing is what you have on your mind when you give her such negative connotation.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Quiet's fine
She's really not.

It's a bit goofy but at least she's being all seductive there.

Oh, here she is when in combat, outdoors:

What's this? A winter jacket? Why, it's almost as if some thought had been put into some amounts of believability! But that can't be because "lol MGS" right?
Nice find.

People is overreacting over this Quiet thing, or about the sexuality of games, this is why we can't have nice things, let's stop thinking like Tea Party :/

And no, Quiet isn't embarrasing, what makes her embarrasing is what you have on your mind when you give her such negative connotation.
-She is yet another hypersexualized female protagonist, variety is nice, yet we have so many examples of characters like Quiet
-People are not overreacting. We can have nice things, actively denouncing a terrible character is requesting nicer things, especially when the creator gave us nicer characters before like the Boss
-Quiet is embarrassing, no one's head with turn if they walked into the room with a cutscene of Faith from mirror's edge or Ciri from Witcher, yet the reaction to Quiet even from gamers is nothing short of vitriol. Don't try to pull that "No you're the sexist all along" bullshit after all the gifs posted in this thread.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
There's nothing wrong with female characters being sexy. People like it and that is also okay.

I can't tell if these posts are satirical or not.

Never played the game but as an outside observer she looks like a stripper, which is laughable for a game that takes itself as seriously as MSG.

I got some bad news for you....

You do know that the entire fucking reason she exists is for cosplay, right? I mean, Kojima fucking said that even before we saw a design.

Kanashimi

Hahahahaha
Nice one.

Hey, I meant it! :p As a girl, I think there's a lot of fanservice in Metal Gear for both genders. Dunno why so people are adamant on taking it away from guys. It's like taking your boyfriend to an adult store and telling him he can't buy or look at anything, but you can!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
There's nothing wrong with female characters being sexy. People like it and that is also okay.

There's a time and a place for that. MGS5 was not it.

The worst was when I watched a Dutch TV interview with Stefanie Joosten and some random Dutch game developer. Like, it's clear the TV hosts couldn't make heads or tails of MGS or Quiet, and to ANYONE, even gamers, who are unfamiliar with MGS/Quiet, it's just gonna seem regressive and ridiculous. Because it is. Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K9j3I86FrA

Gator86

The problem with Quiet is not the out of place sexuality. It's not the leering male gaze. It's not even the hamfisted explanation for the previous two things. It's all of that being the base for some pretty graphic depictions of sexual violence.

If Quiet were just a piece of cheesecake engaging in comic book heroics, no harm on my end. When she's being held down by men clearly trying to rape her, it's gross. As cheesecake, her dumb outfit is kind of empowering. As a subject of a real and horrible type of sexual violence, her outfit is just disgusting.

Yup, the dumb outfit and terrible reasoning for it cover like 1% of why it's so offensive. Honestly, it must be a living hell for women working with/for Kojima.

I can't tell if these posts are satirical or not.

No I'm serious. There's nothing wrong with female characters being sexy. People can be sexy in general and we especially love the female form. Can you present an argument that says otherwise besides it making you uncomfortable?

Since I've had twin daughters, sexualization of females in video games have really started bothering me. I had to stop playing mgs5 because of Quiet.

I'm gonna fulton myself out of this thread. NeoGaf will never handle a pair of boobs. I mean, if you can't take quiet with a laugh and deal with it i don't know how you will do when something bad will happen to you. Quiet is cool. She' s the strongest character of MGSV. The creator of a medium has the freedom of do what he wants, if you can't deal with it just go on. We don't need 6 quiet hate thread every month.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Hey, I meant it! :p As a girl, I think there's a lot of fanservice in Metal Gear for both genders. Dunno why so people are adamant on taking it away from guys. It's like taking your boyfriend to an adult store and telling him he can't buy or look at anything, but you can!
You really think that a single shirtless scene is comparable to a character who's constantly almost-naked and is parading her T&A in front of the camera in every scene she's in?

No I'm serious. There's nothing wrong with female characters being sexy. People can be sexy in general and we especially love the female form. Can you present an argument that says otherwise besides it making you uncomfortable?
Do you understand the concept of strawman? Because no, I'm not going to present arguments in favour of a point no one made.

Isn't that the problem? That there isn't a variety of female characters?

What's strange is that, despite the focus Kojima keeps putting on Quiet's boobs in cinematics and such, she's still often presented as the game's most badass character. And without throwing spoilers out there, the story behind her lack of speech is pretty cool, too. I really liked her as a strong, interesting, mysterious, character.

But...Kojima often tries to have his cake and eat it too in this game. I don't know that it's possible to address things like wartime torture and rape (in Ground Zeroes) and still toss in cheesecake stuff, too. I mean, there's a moe/lolita-style poster of Paz hanging up at my base, for God's sake.

Anyway, despite being designed around her boobs, Quiet's far from a bad character!

I have never played a Metal Gear game in my life, but going off those gifs, it seems absurd.

Metal Gear is absurd to it's core. This isn't really out of place in MGS, but it's a bit too overzealous and crosses a line for some people. I think if the game was better balanced in its story, she wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb. But since she is literally the only female character of note in the story, the bad far outweighs the good.

DrArchon

It's hard for Quiet to top the B&B unit. The sexy photoshoots followed by Drebin calling you up and saying "BTW these girls were tortured and had their lives ruined by war, FEEL BAD ABOUT YOUR BONER." That was the actual worst.

But yeah, Quiet was awful. She was a sex doll, posing for the player character and not saying a single word, no matter how many MB soldiers leer at her in the shower and cat-call her. Maybe if she wasn't basically the only story significant female character in MGSV it wouldn't be so bad, but it was basically just her.

SomTervo

You're about to be banned if you keep posting this kind of thing.

MGSV is a game in which many male characters strut around talking and not being sexy (or objectified) - and literally the ONLY female character? Reduced to her sexy features and almost nothing else. Super sexualised. Objectified

Sexual objectification is OK if it's equally gendered, or the point of the whole work. Neither is the case of MGSV or how Quiet is handled.

And I personally think she's a good character. It's just her execution which is heinous.

Griss

Is it bad if you can agree with everything the OP said and still feel like she was easily the best character in MGSV? It's pretty bad, right? Characters were goddamn awful.

Guess Who

Banned
The character of Quiet was fucking terrible in absolutely every sense.

"B-b-but her arc!!"

*Enemy is sent to kill dude. Enemy falls for dude. Enemy sides with dude. Enemy 'sacrifices' themselves for dude*

Quiet's story was boring, cliché and poorly developed. Her design was atrocious, also. I didn't feel anything when she left my team.

I made sure she didn't leave my team solely because she's brokenly good as a buddy, let's be real

stryke

I'm gonna fulton myself out of this thread. NeoGaf will never handle a pair of boobs. I mean, if you can't take quiet with a laugh and deal with it i don't know how you will do when something bad will happen to you. Quiet is cool. She' s the strongest character of MGSV. The creator of a medium has the freedom of do what he wants, if you can't deal with it just go on. We don't need 6 quiet hate thread every month.

Neogaf is handling DOAX3 quite fine, but I guess that doesn't suit your hissy fit.

Guess Who

Banned
Is it bad if you can agree with everything the OP said and still feel like she was easily the best character in MGSV? It's pretty bad, right? Characters were goddamn awful.

I feel you, though I would say Huey is a better character. I mean he's fucking awful, but he's intentionally awful and the game plays up his awfulness very well. What a shit.

The argument is that she is a poorly designed character, not that she "shouldn't be sexy".

That you clearly don't understand the difference between people arguing against female objectification and people arguing against females is really disturbing and counter-productive.
That you clearly don't see the difference between objectification and attractive is disturbing flat out.

No wonder people think females are coming to destroy video games forever. Do you also believe in the "friend zone"?

Top Bottom