• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Curufinwe

Cheech said:
The NPD's descent into irrelevancy continues. Either they figure out how to count DD sales, or they are simply delivering erroneous data to customers.

They can't make Valve give them Steam sales numbers, so we should blame Valve for being so secretive.

Struct09

I could not be happier for WB and NRS. A success well deserved, Mortal Kombat turned out better than I could have hoped for. It's only been out for a month, but I'm just about ready to declare it my favorite fighting game ever released.

Also happy to see Portal 2 doing well. Two awesome games sitting at the top of the sales chart makes me smile :D

FrankT

CadetMahoney said:
How was the UK MK split?

2 weeks ago it was;

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...es-chart-top10
top 10 sales split
Portal 2: 59-33-8
Mortal Kombat: 50-50
Zumba Fitness: 81-10-10
Op. Flashpoint Red River: 67-33 (no PC retail?)
CoD Black Ops: 59-30-6-4
Lego Star Wars III: 31-22-19-17
Fifa 11: 52-26-7-6
Homefront: 61-37-2

Not sure if the split was released last week.

Ranking was this last week:

04 (03) 360 Mortal Kombat (Warner Bros. Interactive)
05 (04) PS3 Mortal Kombat (Warner Bros. Interactive

Basically bouncing around each other since launch.

Seda

EviLore said:
Portal 2 -- 637K
Crysis 2 -- 236K
NBA2K11 -- 190K

Combined platforms, new physical retail only.

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

so, going by CNBC's 60% advantage of the 360 version over the PS3 version...

Portal Xbox360 = 392k
Portal PlayStation 3 = 245k

Edit: Bah I ignored PC sales sorry.

Well you can consider those upper limits.

butter_stick said:
Hopefully the reception to the 3DS will make Nintendo think carefully about how they launch Stream.

Yeah. By releasing a big tier game within the first couple months instead of waiting for third party "efforts" to sell. The chance for 3DS bundles this holiday grows with each passing month.

Cheech

Curufinwe said:
They can't make Valve give them Steam sales numbers, so we should blame Valve for being so secretive.

No, but they could, and will in all likelihood have to install Nielsen-like software on PCs and track sales based off a sample.

Retail boxed copies are simply not a good indicator of total sales, and the inaccuracy will only get worse as broadband continues getting into more gamers' homes.

UberTag

BroHuffman said:
Portal 2: 637k

MK: 900k

There's no way to know how this split. I still say PS3MK beat out 360 Portal
Given that gap and even factoring in Portal 2 doing 60% more sales on X360 over PS3, I'm inclined to agree with you now.
Especially when you count Special Editions.

BroHuffman said:
Portal 2: 637k

MK: 900k

There's no way to know how this split. I still say PS3MK beat out 360 Portal

Well we can make a decent guess on the Portal 2 split. No way the 360 version of Portal 2 sold more than 400k, so I'd say it's very reasonable to say that 360 version of MK outsold Portal 2 on 360. I would guess somewhere around 200-225k for PS3 version of Portal 2, with 320-350k for 360 version, and the rest going to PC.

Again I'd like to reiterate that's a guess, but with some thinking behind that given what we have.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
fernoca said:
Re: Portal 2
People need to keep in mind that Xbox 360 owners got The Orange Box first (and a well done port too) and the exclusive Still Alive which still manages to chart in the weekly sales.

PS3 owners only got The Orange Box, late and along with harsh words about the quality of the port. So the added bonus if anything made some 360/PC owners change to the PS3 version, more than attracting new users.

So, in many people's mind Portal is an Xbox 360/PC game.
Aside from that, PSN went down within 24 hours of Portal 2's launch.

A large number of people who were planning to buy it that wanted the PS3-Steamworks integration but didn't get it on launch day for whatever reason probably didn't get it at all.

Curufinwe

Cheech said:
No, but they could, and will in all likelihood have to install Nielsen-like software on PCs and track sales based off a sample.

Retail boxed copies are simply not a good indicator of total sales, and the inaccuracy will only get worse as broadband continues getting into more gamers' homes.

I just don't understand why Valve aren't out there trumpeting that they sold X hundred thousand copies of Portal 2 on Steam.

Huff

Banned
MrPink93485 said:
Well we can make a decent guess on the Portal 2 split. No way the 360 version of Portal 2 sold more than 400k, so I'd say it's very reasonable to say that 360 version of MK outsold Portal 2 on 360. I would guess somewhere around 200-225k for PS3 version of Portal 2, with 320-350k for 360 version, and the rest going to PC.

Again I'd like to reiterate that's a guess, but with some thinking behind that given what we have.

PS3 MK > 360 MK > 360 Portal > PS3 Portal

MrPink93485 said:
I think ultimately, we overestimated the impact of the free PC copy and didn't consider some of the things the PS3 version had going against it (not many PS3 only users likely played Portal on the Orange Box....Valve games usually releasing on 360, PSN, etc)

The PS3 version looked and ran demonstrably better than the 360 which is a complete turnaround from the Orange Box. Do Source games still favor ATI chipsets? If so you'd think the ports would have at least been more equal.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
MetatronM said:
Aside from that, PSN went down within 24 hours of Portal 2's launch.

A large number of people who were planning to buy it that wanted the PS3-Steamworks integration but didn't get it on launch day probably didn't get it at all.
I don't think that would have a very large impact. Most people would have bought it regardless, since no one expected PSN to be down for so long.

Mortal Kombat killed. Portal 2 did great considering the lack of Steam sales.

3DS's drop is expected. Ubisoft software will not sell a handheld at launch, especially if they are treating it as a DS+. I do not expect sales for 3DS to be high until at least June, and that's if Zelda and Resident Evil click with the audience. Face Raiders and AR Games are not on the same level as Wii Sports, and having the whole "LITTLE CHILDREN CANT USE 3D" labels everywhere just pushes away their audience :/

butter_stick said:
Hopefully the reception to the 3DS will make Nintendo think carefully about how they launch Stream.

Ya a 400$ console will be suicide in my opinion when a ps3 and 360 will likely be around $200, ill buy one no matter what but the average consumer wont

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Karram said:
So how much Crysis 2 copies were sold in March ?
The best data we have overall is from EA's fiscal report, which mentioned Crysis 2 had shipped over 2 million and was still getting strong re-orders.

szaromir

Banned
Pretty good numbers for Portal 2, considering it's a streamlined puzzle game.

2.5M for Dance Central and 3M for Kinect Sports. Harmonix and Rare finally found commercial success LOL.

sleepykyo

Too bad about PS3 Portal 2 seeing as the PC digital copy is an interesting initiative, but Valve never built a user base on the system.

-Orange Box is widely regarded as terrible and late
-Both L4Ds were never released on the PS3

Huff

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
Unless you know the split of MK sales, that is nothing but a guess.

Its all guess work. But assuming PS3 sold more (maybe only by 1%) because of kratos/demo, then thats how the comparison would work.

Unless the one MK version greatly outsold the other, this is the most likely scenario.

Edit: It would take a pretty uneven split for a version of MK to have been outsold by a Portal version with the total numbers of 1000k+ vs. 630K.

1-D_FTW

Curufinwe said:
I just don't understand why Valve aren't out there trumpeting that they sold X hundred thousand copies of Portal 2 on Steam.

Nothing really productive comes from that unless you have to. If it only sold 300,000 copies, people would talk about how it bombed and Steam #s were over-rated (thus diminishing the brand).

If numbers are insanely through the roof, the haters can use it as ammo for Valve having a monopoly on the PC industry and how counter-productive it is for the whole eco-system.

Both are extremes, but there's still something to be said for mystery. If you don't have to reveal what your cards are, it doesn't really make sense to show them. It's frustrating for outsiders, but since they have no shareholders to answer to, is probably in their best interests.

Portal 2 situation is basically Unreal Tournament 3 all over again. Console gamers don't care about PC features, because they are only ever going to play the game on consoles.

3DS...just too expensive for the hardware offered IMO. $300 for the pleasure of buying the system + one N64 port this summer, I really don't see people lining up for that.

ezekial45 said:
HAHAHA!

That's makes it all the better.
I love the comments on Warner Bros acquiring Miday:

How is MK9 going to be mature? Moreover, how is MK9 not going to have retarded cartoon/comic characters?

Mrbob

Damn, I shouldn't have bought a 3DS at launch. With these current sales there will be a bundle or price cut coming sooner rather than lately.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Seda said:
Yup.

Nirolak hasn't put this in the OP yet though. Maybe he doesn't trust CNBC haha.
Nintendo usually releases their results a bit slowly, so I'm giving them two more minutes before I just put this in.

Wallach

1-D_FTW said:
Nothing really productive comes from that unless you have to. If it only sold 300,000 copies, people would talk about how it bombed and Steam #s were over-rated (thus diminishing the brand).

If numbers are insanely through the roof, the haters can use it as ammo for Valve having a monopoly on the PC industry and how counter-productive it is for the whole eco-system.

Both are extremes, but there's still something to be said for mystery. If you don't have to reveal what your cards are, it doesn't really make sense to show them. It's frustrating for outsiders, but since they have no shareholders to answer to, is probably in their best interests.

Only 300k? I'd be a little surprised if they even hit 300k.

Nirolak said:
The best data we have overall is from EA's fiscal report, which mentioned Crysis 2 had shipped over 2 million and was still getting strong re-orders.
Phew, that's good to hear.

Shooter fans who didn't buy it ought to be ashamed of themselves.

legend166

Why hasn't Peter Moore been sacked yet for overseeing the complete and utter surrender of the basketball market to 2K?

I mean seriously, 2K11 has been an absolute monster.

Top Bottom