• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Xilium

If the console order =/= sales order on the list, why does the order change up on every title? Seems to be on purpose to me so it must indicate something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
legend166 said:
Why hasn't Peter Moore been sacked yet for overseeing the complete and utter surrender of the basketball market to 2K?

I mean seriously, 2K11 has been an absolute monster.
Because he brought FIFA from a sub 8 million unit series to a 12+ million unit series.

Mrbob

legend166 said:
Why hasn't Peter Moore been sacked yet for overseeing the complete and utter surrender of the basketball market to 2K?

I mean seriously, 2K11 has been an absolute monster.

I wonder how 2K12 will compare. Won't get the Jordan bump.

Angry Fork

Fuck yea @ Mortal Kombat doing well. Man I really wanted to get the game because it looked so awesome and they were really going all out for the fans but I just don't have the money for it right now. I would've felt bad if it sold poorly but their work has triumphed.

sleepykyo

CadetMahoney said:
I love the comments on Warner Bros acquiring Miday:

How is MK9 going to be mature? Moreover, how is MK9 not going to have retarded cartoon/comic characters?

Well Sonya's first fatality is pretty retarded and Sheeva's second fatality is pretty comical. I also got a good laugh out of Sheeva's arcade ending.

Nirolak said:
Because he brought FIFA from a sub 8 million unit series to a 12+ million unit series.

Must be because he's British. understands soccer.

They need to hire an American to handle the basketball stuff.

FrankT

Xilium said:
If the console order =/= sales order on the list, why does the order change up on every title? Seems to be on purpose to me so it must indicate something.

That"s what I was wondering and everything we have at this point still kind of supports the idea but supposedlly not the case last month.

Anyhow, 360 has passed 27 million at 27.03M. Using tie ratio from last month total SW would be 240.5M units to date. I think depending on if the Wii price cut does anything it could take back the SW LTD later this year as well.

1-D_FTW

Wallach said:
Only 300k? I'd be a little surprised if they even hit 300k.

I wouldn't. I think it's fairly safe to assume it outsold the 360 version.

I have 111 friends on my FL. 67 own the game. That's pretty darn good. I doubt few if any purchased retail. A couple may have gone the PS3 route, but considering how fast that window closed, I don't think it was a high number. I'm not saying it sold 2 million on Steam, but it did pretty well.

volturnus

Banned
Neuromancer said:
Phew, that's good to hear.

Shooter fans who didn't buy it ought to be ashamed of themselves.
Or maybe some of them simply don't want to pay $60 for a PC Game with Solidshield DRM.

Seda

Not only is 200k low for a Nintendo handheld, the 50% immediate drop in sales after the first month must hurt.

Jomjom

Banned
Nearly 200k units of the 3DS is actually pretty good considering the 3DS has just horrible horrible software. If it didn't say Nintendo on it, this thing would be lucky to sell 20k much less 200k.

again, all those people saying Nintendo wouldn't drop the price on the 3DS within the first year... how confident are you now?

and presuming MK PS3>360 i'd say that it's fair to say that at least in April that the PSN outage had negligible impact.

antonz

plagiarize said:
again, all those people saying Nintendo wouldn't drop the price on the 3DS within the first year... how confident are you now?

and presuming MK PS3>360 i'd say that it's fair to say that at least in April that the PSN outage had negligible impact.
They arent going to drop the price. People thinking so are outright stupid plainly said. They havent even begun the software releases yet for fuck sake.

3DS is literally on cruise control until things come out. And I dont mean shity titles by Ubisoft

Busaiku

plagiarize said:
I'm sure all of us thought this prior the Japanese launch.
I definitely think a price cut's coming during E3.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
plagiarize said:

Moreover, what does this say about a $250 portable that only does games. The NGP better pack tons of extra features or it could find itself in the same situation.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
jling84 said:
Nearly 200k units of the 3DS is actually pretty good considering the 3DS has just horrible horrible software. If it didn't say Nintendo on it, this thing would be lucky to sell 20k much less 200k.
Every release ever has pretty terrible software to start off.

200k is bad.

allan-bh

plagiarize said:

I don't believe price drop in 2011.

Games are coming.

Darklord

Banned
Seda said:
Not only is 200k low for a Nintendo handheld, the 50% immediate drop in sales after the first month must hurt.

Well they kinda have shit all games and still selling the DS for a cheaper price with a giant range of games. They should have launched with better games. I feel a lot of people will be confused by the name and look as well. They probably think it's a normal DS with 3D but for a much higher price.

Dynedom

Yeah I'll be picking up my copy of Portal 2 on PS3 once PSN comes back. I doubt I'm the only one. That being said, it's not that surprising that the 360 version would outsell it, given points already mentioned in this thread about installed fanbases.

Wow @ MK9 though. The power of Kratos?

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I don't like those 3DS sales, but I'm still gonna wait until it's Christmas sales before I start talking shit about it. It's a good system. It's just lacking the killer software right now.

iceatcs

plagiarize said:

IMO, I think change the name might have better off but it will be hard. Lot of people who I knew thought 3DS is simple another DS model.

Or just stop DS production and move on 3DS only.

Rattles

I'm just super happy for WB. They are giving gamers what they ask for and are reaping the rewards doing so.. If only other companys would do the same.

rs7k

jling84 said:

You guys think it will sell much better with more software? That's what people used to say about the PS3 when it was still real expensive.

It's a $250 handheld in a recession, there's way too much competition in the industry for that price to stay where it is.

The 3DS literally has had no post-launch day software. Considering the only people who would buy one now instead of day one are impulse buyers, 200k isn't as doom and gloom as it might imply.

Jomjom

Banned
Kusagari said:
I think 2K11 also benefited from the Heat. I know a few people who bought it just to play as the Big 3.

I'm thinking of getting it so I can try to replicate the collapse of the Lakers.

FoneBone

plagiarize said:
Seeing as this month's sales are pretty much what I expected, given the near-total lack of new software... still very much so. If sales don't pick up as the software lineup improves over the summer, then you've got a case.

antonz

rs7k said:
You guys think it will sell much better with more software? That's what people used to say about the PS3 when it was still real expensive.

It's a $250 handheld in a recession, there's way too much competition in the industry for that price to stay where it is.
The PS3 situation is not even comparable. We know Mario, Mario Kart etc are proven system sellers.

People were talking out their asses expecting half the titles they listed for the PS3 to do anything

Huff

Banned
upJTboogie said:
Whoa at those 3DS numbers. Make a kart game STAT.

I'm sure they're on it. Can't take too much time to put a kart game out right? They have had a lot of practice.

legend166

Nirolak said:

How much of that has to do with FIFA itself, and PES being a complete stale franchise for the last 3-4 years (outside of PES Wii, which is amazing)?

Wallach

1-D_FTW said:
I wouldn't. I think it's fairly safe to assume it outsold the 360 version.

I have 111 friends on my FL. 67 own the game. That's pretty darn good. I doubt few if any purchased retail. A couple may have gone the PS3 route, but considering how fast that window closed, I don't think it was a high number. I'm not saying it sold 2 million on Steam, but it did pretty well.

I honestly don't know as it is a safe bet it outsold the 360 version. It could have, but I wouldn't really put money on it.

Top Bottom