• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

jman2050

specialguy said:
It actually does. Simple math.

Is it likely? I didn't say that, but there's a chance. Dont forget 360 gains on Wii every month now, and has for many months, before Wii U.

If it's anything like the DS-3DS transition, Nintendo will kill off the Wii pretty fast once Wii U hits. So there's your opening. Combine with 360 price drop or what have you. ~8m can go in a year or two if Wii sales fall to negligible. And remember, they're not that great now, with no successor on the market. Plus, even past this, I'd suggest the 360 will have much stronger legs than the Wii in it's years after it's successor hits (more like the PS2>PS3 transition)

To say there's no chance is shortsighted. In fact after typing all that, I'll even say it's likely. But I could be wrong

The 360 is going to lose a lot of what it's gained on the Wii this holiday season.

Cipherr

Ridley327 said:
Wow, the 3DS actually outsold the DS. That's certainly some good news for Nintendo.

Arent they the same price now though?

jman2050 said:
The 360 is going to lose a lot of what it's gained on the Wii this holiday season.

Im not so sure of that. Wii will do fine during the Holidays, but beat the 360 this year? Thats a toss up right now.

dvolovets said:
Nintendo 3DS Sales Up 260 Percent Following Price Reduction

Nintendo sold more than 235,000 Nintendo 3DS™ portable entertainment systems in the United States in August, and the system finished as the No. 2 best-selling dedicated game system for the month, according to the NPD Group, which tracks video game sales in the United States. About 185,000 units were sold following a price reduction on Aug. 12, an increase of more than 260 percent during the comparable 19-day time period in July.

“Consumers are responding very positively to the new suggested retail price of $169.99 for the Nintendo 3DS,” said Scott Moffitt, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “With Star Fox 64 3D and the new Flame Red color launching tomorrow, and Super Mario 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 arriving later this year, Nintendo 3DS will offer consumers cutting-edge entertainment and tremendous value this holiday season.”

Other Nintendo milestones reached in August include:

Nintendo sold more than 590,000 total hardware units in August, including more than 190,000 Wii™ systems and more than 165,000 units of the Nintendo DS™ family.

For the third month in a row, the majority of the best-selling software SKUs play on Nintendo platforms. August featured five of the top 10 and 15 of the top 20.

So far in 2011, more than 50 million units of software have been sold for Nintendo platforms.

In total, 540 million units of software have been sold for the Wii system and Nintendo DS family of systems combined.

and 50,000 people told to "deal with it" via NES VC.

Good start, hopefully for them it stays up through the holiday season. I know the price drop moved my sister from "No way" to "Sure" for my nephew's big Christmas gift this year.

GavinGT

Banned
"The PS3 price cut also drove a notable uptick in sales of that platform"

Not notable enough for Sony to disclose the numbers, I guess.

dvolovets

2nve32e.png

Edit -- Oops. :p

Rhindle

So basically both the 3DS and the PS3 price cuts flopped.

At least Nintendo managed to keep the 3DS on life support, so they can keep hoping/praying to turn things around over the holiday season.

Wallach

Well deserved, Deus Ex. Released late in the month too. With the first two games' sales this should be seen as a huge success for them.

JABEE

Ridley327 said:
Wow, the 3DS actually outsold the DS. That's certainly some good news for Nintendo.
It is good news. With Super Mario Land 3D ad Mario Kart coming out this Fall, combined with the reduced price console will yield high sales forth holiday season. Pricing parity between the 3DS and DS is an important part of creating momentum for the system going forward.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Not surprised that Deus Ex is first. Very nice!

Also nice numbers for 3DS. Curious to see if it will stay like this for long.

That 600k prediction from me for 3DS sales is probably the worst thing ever, probably have to change a lot of my thinking. I really thought everyone who was going to buy a DS this month would buy a 3DS instead because it everything the DS had and was basically investing in a brand new system as well for just $40 more at maximum.

Elios83

Wow really disappointing 3DS sales numbers.
Pachter was closer to reality than most of us LOL

Edit: < 235k for PS3? That's disappoiting too. Sony's PR seems to hint that the first two weeks of August were really weak then sales lifted considerably. We'll see in September, also considering that the price drop announcement was sudden and not properly advertised in august.

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
That 600k prediction from me for 3DS sales is probably the worst thing ever, probably have to change a lot of my thinking. I really thought everyone who was going to buy a DS this month would buy a 3DS.

Even if they did... that wouldn't equal 600K...

antonz

3DS had a very healthy reaction to the pricecut. At this point the DS line is just its enemy.

165K 3DS sales were lost to the DSi/DSi XL

Man

3DS September numbers will be interesting following the analog add-on. All hardcores ran back to their hills.

jman2050 said:

That is possible, yes but uncertain at best. Wii sales continue to fall, and IIRC MS blamed some of it's loss to Wii last December (only month it's lost in recent memory) to shortages. If they sort that who knows.

LOCK

The 3DS should do better in September, at least they should hope so. But I think the price cut for the 3DS is gaining momentum. Well for my family anyway...

Mastperf

antonz said:
3DS had a very healthy reaction to the pricecut. At this point the DS line is just its enemy.

165K 3DS sales were lost to the DSi/DSi XL
Yep, it's time to drop the others and focus 100% on the 3ds.

Trevelyon

GavinGT said:
"The PS3 price cut also drove a notable uptick in sales of that platform"

Not notable enough for Sony to disclose the numbers, I guess.

This is odd, since Major Nelson wording was very particular about 360 maintaing number #1 for home consoles in 2011, but didn't claim #1 for August.

Yet, Sony wouldn't claim it either, curiouser and curiouser.

Rhindle said:

At least Nintendo managed to keep the 3DS on life support, so they can keep hoping/praying to turn things around over the holiday season.

With their total handheld sales staying at 400k, it's not exactly an amazing success, but 3DS did a bit better than I expected.

Rhindle said:

I tend to agree, especially on the 3DS front. Not sure why people are loling, how can you spin it any other way? 235k and less than 235k in price cut months? It's almost sad. 3DS saw a major explosion in Japan but USA results are much less.

Tucah

you speak so well
Deus Ex at number 1 makes me happy. A worthy sequel to one of my favorite games of all time AND it's selling well? Amazing.

3DS did fine I guess.

Terrible 3ds numbers, yeah its a bit of a boost and the Xmas line up will be its saviour but methinks nintendo need to kill off the old ds asap can't believe the number that bought them

Top Bottom