• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2011 Sales Results [Update 4: OoT 3D]

Interesting to see the DS drop. It seems that the 3DS has eaten away at the DSi/DSi XL's sales.

September will be the real indicator of the 3DS' immediate future though. August is a slow month anyway and September is when the 3DS' 2nd wave of titles really starts to take off (Flare Red console and SF643D in September, Super Pokemon Rumble in October, Mario 3D Land in November and Mario Kart in December)

Trevelyon said:
This is odd, since Major Nelson wording was very particular about 360 maintaing number #1 for home consoles in 2011, but didn't claim #1 for August.

Yet, Sony wouldn't claim it either, curiouser and curiouser.

Not really, I doubt Nelson put much thought into it, just banged out a tweet. Wording could be a brain fart, or just choosing to emphasize being number #1 for the year.

Boney

Banned
antonz said:
3DS had a very healthy reaction to the pricecut. At this point the DS line is just its enemy.

165K 3DS sales were lost to the DSi/DSi XL
I wouldn't be so sure. DSi is still cheaper and and XL fills another niche. There's plenty of overlap for sure, especially if you see the DS dropoff. If this transplant of sales continue, they're good.

neptunes

How often does Nintendo issue press releases, for summer sales?

MS should really cut the price of any of the 360 skus they have available.

The PS3 doubled its sales from one month to the next with PS3 Slim so I guess a bit more than a doubling should have been expected for 3DS, but it still surprises me that so many DSs were sold.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Nuclear Muffin said:
Interesting to see the DS drop. It seems that the 3DS has eaten away at the DSi/DSi XL's sales.

Last August DS did over 400k
Last month did over 280k
Every platform increased this month,except for DS
It's eating

JohngPR

Really happy to see DXHR #1 on the NPD's.

Eidos Montreal deserves it after all the hard work they put into the game. Hope this means we can see a sequel sometime in the near future.

Road

Syphon Filter said:
where did you get less than 235k from?
I was assuming the PS3 was not the best selling hardware of the month. But if the observations about MS's statement are right, there still is that possibility.

Edit: Dumb time. Nintendo PR nullifies that.

Nuclear Muffin said:

And with it, their profits. But I guess they're playing the long game, it might make sense in the end.

Mrbob

I'm going to guess PS3 is between 190K and 235K for the month.

Nintendo said the 3DS was the number two best selling hardware platform of the month. But they didn't say the Wii was 3rd.

Rhindle

Graphics Horse said:
With their total handheld sales staying at 400k, it's not exactly an amazing success, but 3DS did a bit better than I expected.
IT basically allowed them to keep their nose above water. But that's not exactly the outcome you'd ordinarily expect for a 1/3 price cut on a system a few months after release.

Nintendo just managed to stay in the game, and hope that things turn around over the holidays. That may have been all they were shooting for right now.

Boney

Banned
Mrbob said:
I'm going to guess PS3 is between 190K and 235K for the month.

Nintendo said the 3DS was the number two best selling hardware platform of the month. But they didn't say the Wii was 3rd.
Yeah I'm making this same assumption.

Mpl90 said:
Last August DS did over 400k
Last month did over 280k
Every platform increased this month,except for DS
It's eating

So I wonder if that means that it's selling to the DS audience now. Maybe we'll start to see software like Nintendogs getting a boost.

Road said:
I was assuming the PS3 was not the best selling hardware of the month. But if the observations about MS's statement are right, there still is that possibility.
It would be impossible since Xbox 360 sales are at 308K.

Trevelyon

specialguy said:
Not really, I doubt Nelson put much thought into it, just banged out a tweet. Wording could be a brain fart, or just choosing to emphasize being number #1 for the year.

As a mouthpiece, it seems like a big oversight especially in front of two competitors dropping their price in the same month.

pramath

Banned
Nice healthy numbers for the 3DS, but it's still not selling as you would expect the successor to the DS to sell.

Rhindle

Trevelyon said:
As a mouthpiece, it seems like a big oversight especially in front of two competitors dropping their price in the same month.
He's used that same wording before. He probably means "maintained No. 1 position throughout 2011."

hatchx

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:

September will be the real indicator of the 3DS' immediate future though. August is a slow month anyway and September is when the 3DS' 2nd wave of titles really starts to take off (Flare Red console and SF643D in September, Super Pokemon Rumble in October, Mario 3D Land in November and Mario Kart in December)

Not discounting Mario and Mario Kart, but one remake of an N64 game is not '2nd wave starting to take off'. I don't think 3DS will fair well in September or October, and for it to pick up like we hope in Nov. and Dec. Mario and Mario Kart need to be that good. Other than that, Kid Icarus looks to be delayed and Shinobi/Sonic are mildly exciting.

I think the holiday will be fairly predictable for sales.

FreeMufasa

The 360 is an absoloute beast atm. I bet even MS couldn't of anticipated this. It probably fucked up their plan regarding next gen.

Boney

Banned
Puppet Shadow said:
My mind is blown away by the fact that the Wii and DS has sold over half a billion pieces of software. That's insane.
shhh don't let them hear you, they never sold any software

Rourkey said:
I think Nintendo would have mentioned the Wii was in 3rd place if it was, so the PS3 must be in the range 235k to 190k
uhhh that's what i said? of course it's not 100% shoe in, but it's a logical guesstimate

[Nintex]

FreeMufasa said:
The 360 is an absoloute beast atm. I bet even MS couldn't of anticipated this. It probably fucked up their plan regarding next gen.
It just brings in more cash to fund that Windows 8 Xbox and complete domination.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
FreeMufasa said:
You say this like the PS1, PS2, and DS were in the gutter when their successor were launched.

The DS was actually pulling off records in North America when the 3DS came out.

Rourkey said:
Read the Nintendi press release!
Wasn't the Ninty quote ...and the system finished as the No. 2 best-selling dedicated game system for the month.

Is the PS3 considered a 'dedicated' game system, as it's also a bluray player?

Lunchbox

Banned
FreeMufasa said:
just wait till the ps3 shortage is over

Top Bottom