• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

Top 10 Best-selling titles for the 3DS at retail, January - December 2012 NPD:

1. New Super Mario Bros. 2
2. Mario Kart 7
3. Super Mario 3D Land
4. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
5. Angry Birds Trilogy
6. Kid Icarus: Uprising
7. Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]
8. Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
10. Mario Tennis Open

Sticker Star doing great, the people claiming the game wasn't doing good and the next one would be a proper RPG must be crying right now.

3DS not doing that good overall, maybe now that the yen has devalued they can release the not-so-high profile games at $30. Or some new XL colors/special editions like NoE is doing, at least.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Ok good, they're about the same as mine then.

I'll just post some estimated LTDs for those curious:

DS: 53,163,689
360: 38,261,373
PS3: 23,594,421
Wii: 40,902,501
3DS: 7,859,000
Vita: 1,312,500
Wii U: 942,000

Holy crap, didn't realize the 360 had managed to get so close to the Wii LTD. There's no chance it catches it though, right?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
yeah sorry, I meant 3DS actually. In the US the DS still eats a little out of the 3DS pie.

3DS isn't doing great in Europe.

ibavkmhQAhfr3q.jpg

Code:
2012 Hardware 

EUROPE      JAPAN         US        TOTAL
3DS   3,608,000   5,497,737   3,600,000  12,706,000
PSV   1,164,000     690,839   1,280,000   3,135,000
PSP   1,768,000     899,627        ???    2,668,000
NDS     619,500      68,973   1,960,000   2,648,000
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=510874

^Overall no, but part of mainland Europe it put out respectable numbers. Still a far cry from from DS of course. And there's also the issue of lacklustre software sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS3 better than expected, 3DS lower than expected. Fortunately, this year 3DS has lots of games that will help, starting from February, plus Pokémon. But a cut would be pretty useful at this point.

Sony...well they never release PR considering how Vita has been doing. Even combining PSP numbers wouldn't paint a good picture. Perhaps Nintendo could have combined the Wii and DS families for ultimate spin.
Nin should consider doing so at this point it's doing worse than Vita.

I really hope Pokémon and Animal Crossing do well and turn around the 3DS in the US or Europe. Can't imagine a future without Nintendo handheld.

MechaX

Personally, I was worried that Ni No Kuni wouldn't even be able to outsell Tales of Graces f or The Last Story.

But beating out DmC's individual SKU...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All you will have is a Nintendo handheld next generation :p

Seems pretty clear now that Nintendo need to hire/promote a co-CEO to tackle the west with all the power at their disposal rather than keep answering to the clueless Japanese branch.

Ni No Kuni selling more than either DmC SKU is "NICE!" Wish cream could provide DMC HD Collection LTD for a final blow.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
So when is Sony going to drop the PS3 price to < $199? You know, the pricepoint where the PS2 got the majority of its sales. I really thought they would announce it on the 20th event. Just before GOW, but now I am not so sure.

Do you have the numbers now too jvm?

In any event, Microsoft could have 43.6% share giving a total consoles of 644.5K.

Leaving 306.5K for the Wii and PS3. Something like 103K, 203K respectively perhaps.

Wii is almost double Wii U. Yikes.

Sounds about right.

So when is Sony going to drop the PS3 price to < $199? You know, the pricepoint where the PS2 got the majority of its sales. I really thought they would announce it on the 20th event. Just before GOW, but now I am not so sure.

I think if they drop to $199 and MS waits a month to drop to $149, then PS3 might be the number 1 selling console for a month in the US.

kswiston

I think if they drop to $199 and MS waits a month to drop to $149, then PS3 might be the number 1 selling console for a month in the US.

Even then, the console is old. PS2 got a price drop to $199 about 19 months after launch. Of course the majority of its sales were at that price or lower. The PS3 could drop $99 tomorrow, and while it would get a hefty sales boost, it's overall fortunes wouldn't change that much.

Thats a great PS3 number after a horrendous holiday.
3DS has only had Paper Mario going for it so those figures are hardly surprising but still far too low.

I have no fucking idea what NoA are playing at with the colours.
We know the cases can come off. They could easily sell an all white version and if they struggle to sell either Pink or White; they can take them from the store and switch the colour fucking easily.

At this point I think Japan needs to call for some discussion between NoE and NoA and for them to both learn from each other. Either one is inefficient in its efforts or one of them is just smashing its head against a wall.

Fire Emblem should help things; so will Luigi/MH next month and the summer releases should bring 3DS to the best selling mark (if it doesn't then Reggie's head needs to roll along with major changes at NoA).

On PS3 numbers again; has anyone noticed an added effort by Sony? Or can we finally put to rest the idea that the brand is weak and just point out how strong the PS4 could be coming into this gen. MS should be worried; and Kaz should seriously consider how close to margin he can sell the PS4 if their fine selling above the 360 as it is; especially if Live charges return.

Elios83

Later this year.
They will probably increase the flash memory capacity to 28GB (current model is 16GB with 4GB reserved) and introduce that model in the US as well.
Btw at this point only 360 and PS3 are selling well in the US, 3DS is barely decent and the new platforms like Vita and Wii U are really struggling.
That could be a sign that consumers are not willing to jump on new platforms as easily as in the past but they are comfortable with waiting until they are well established with a great selection of games and a low entry price.
That sucks for hardware manufacturers but it also means longer lifecycles and platforms gaining a lot of steam over the years. So making a definitive judgement based on a few months or the first year might be pointless.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
*Looks at DmC numbers*
So what are you guys wearing to the DMC funeral? I can't decide between a Red coat or blue coat.

Depends if the wake is in a pub/bar? I think the patrons would be particularly hurtful if they laughed us out on even such a sombre day.

Averon

Sony have no incentive to drop the PS3's price. As others said, the profit margins on the new model must be great, and it's still selling decently month-to-month. Don't expect another PS3 price drop until GamesCom at the very earliest.

noobie

Banned

i think this when is going to come a bit too late. Rather its already late for $199 drop. they should have dropped it atmost by last October to give it atleast one full focus limelight at $199

Elios83

Sony have no incentive to drop the PS3's price. As others said, the profit margins on the new model must be great, and it's still selling decently month-to-month. Don't expect another PS3 price drop until GamesCom at the very earliest.

They have no incentive to drop the price if it's just for the sake of market share.
At this point that isn't a priority, same for Microsoft.
But they have all the interest in dropping the price if it can boost their profits. In this sense they might cut their manufacturing costs again later this year with extra internal tweaks, keep their current profit margin and cut the price so that sales remain at least flat instead of continuing to decline yoy as they are now. That is a way to keep profits up (or at the same level as they are now) so it's an important move for them, same thing for Microsoft.

1-D_FTW

price drop might just help for month or two,I really don't see it help that much.

NA market just moved from gaming handhelds it seems (but not completely like Japan and consoles).

What's disappointing is that they never really tried a different approach. I'm not saying other strategies would have worked, but I was long on record for saying they should have ditched physical media and seen just how high you could take budget DD pricing. Maybe there is a big market for premium DD games priced between 9.99 - 19.99. They should have released a "third pillar" sequel that explored this market, because the writing on the wall was already there before Sony and Nintendo launched these. It's incredible they just figured they'd try and ride out another generation with status quo.

With the rapid errorsion of 3DS in the west and what looks like a still birth in WiiU, I can't but wonder if we won't see a successor to both in a couple years. And by that, I mean a reverse WiiU. A handheld packing state of the art mobile technology, but which also has low latency streaming to the HDTV (and can support multi play controllers via bluetooth).

Nintendo has already hinted as much with the consolidation and talk it was done for the next gen designs, but I have to wonder just how long it'll be. They have to be getting the sinking feeling by now that they've completely miscalculated things.

i think this when is going to come a bit too late. Rather its already late for $199 drop. they should have dropped it atmost by last October to give it atleast one full focus limelight at $199

Problem is a PS3 without a hard drive is pretty gimped. And hard drive prices really haven't gone down. Ever since they retracted to only two hd manufacturers, all aggressive pricing was halted. And SSD, where there is a lot of competition, is still too expensive on mass storage.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah, the 3DS still looks to have a hard generation ahead of it.

I just think Nintendo is super lucky that 3DS got a very weak rival,if Vita/Sony were somewhat competitive on the handheld front to put any kind of pressure on 3DS then Nintendo as a whole might have really hard times.

With the rapid errorsion of 3DS in the west and what looks like a still birth in WiiU, I can't but wonder if we won't see a successor to both in a couple years. And by that, I mean a reverse WiiU. A handheld packing state of the art mobile technology, but which also has low latency streaming to the HDTV (and can support multi play controllers via bluetooth).

Nintendo has already hinted as much with the consolidation and talk it was done for the next gen designs, but I have to wonder just how long it'll be. They have to be getting the sinking feeling by now that they've completely miscalculated things.

Yup,I feel that this gen of handheld will end sooner this time, it wont last as long as PSP/DS gen and next handheld might be closer to ipad/android devices than dedicated gaming handheld.

Major props to creamsugar for saving yet another NPD thread.

Vita finally has company is land of mediocrity thanks to Nintendo. Both products will have laughable performance all year.

I expect 3DS to have low numbers throughout the year but nothing like Vita and WiiU

Forbes will publish a cover page titled "How WiiFucked up."

The 360 and PS3 are doing really well considering generation length.

The incentive is to reposition the PS3 as a budget gaming box so it isn't competing for in the same market as PS4.

Top Bottom