• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Xeke

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
The ps3 wont have the ps2 staying power if it hasn't sold a lot by the time the new consoles launch..

Slow and steady wins the race. By 2010 when this gen has really started, Wii will be yesterdays news.

Neomoto said:
Wow. Nintendo is steamrolling everything combined, worldwide, every ****ing month. I mean, seriously, they have 68,2 percent of every system sold. Two thirds people, of everything combined. And this is just US. If third party's don't get the picture now I just don't know what to say.

PS3 numbers are pathetic, they are probably even losing when you combine Japan's, US's and Europe's numbers and compare them to X360's even though it is only selling well in US and UK.

Pokemon sales are massive for only 14 days. Awesome is Super Paper Mario, Super Paper Mario is awesome. Now give us a ****ing PAL releasedate already, ****ers.

:lol Their PR's are made of bits of pure win, especially when compared to others nowadays.
I just hope that with this gigantic succes "lately", the arogance stays away.

I think just about anyone here thought that. But yeah, they sure go through great lengths to cover up their failures of epic proportion (and you know it'll work thanks to media who follow like sheeps in general). This PR isn't so bad though, maybe they know they can't win (but they still use some sneaky way's to get some points accross)

The fanboy tears are dilicious. They are all toys (high price & blu-ray player or not) so stop trying so hard. And I think Wii's performance worldwide "somewhat" prove that the Wii is actually (also) a truly brilliant next-gen console (yes I said next-gen, deal with it already).

I think putting out a third SKU (X360 Elite) is a terrible idea, people get confused when there are THREE different versions to buy so it's not very mass market friendly in that sense (and of course the price is far to high). Of course there are enough arguments to downplay this, but still three sku's.. also, when pricepoints come in the system might lose some of it's percieved value for customers and such. We'll see how it works out, next month should be interesting at the very least.

Also, Wii to next-gen and especially PS3 (just to post a gif :():

robo1.gif

:( We hardly knew ye.

Didn't you just say Wii was next-Gen? So it's destroying its own generation? Great Nintendo. And I thought we just had to put up with God-awful technical preformance out of the damn mahine. :(

JeStaH

Xeke said:
They are aware that the PS3 is a console for the long run. Long after the Wii and 360 are obsolete they know that they will still have their future proof PS3. The sales right now aren't significant. The PS3 is for the long haul.

5 years from now you don't think Microsoft will come out with new hardware that will blow away CELL and RSX? What about Nintendo's next offerring?

Not everyone is falling inline with Sony's plans. The 360 started the new generation early and it has payed off for them so far.

I have no doubt the PS3 will do much better next year with a price cut and real systems sellers like GT5 and MGS4. By that time though, will the lead of the Wii and 360 be insurmountable?

I think in the end it's going to be a very close race hardware numbers wise. The numbers that will really differentiate the 3 is going to be software sales.

Xeke

Banned
JeStaH said:
5 years from now you don't think Microsoft will come out with new hardware that will blow away CELL and RSX? What about Nintendo's next offerring?

Not everyone is falling inline with Sony's plans. The 360 started the new generation early and it has payed off for them so far.

I have no doubt the PS3 will do much better next year with a price cut and real systems sellers like GT5 and MGS4. By that time though, will the lead of the Wii and 360 be insurmountable?

I think in the end it's going to be a very close race hardware numbers wise. The numbers that will really differentiate the 3 is going to be software sales.

If by paid off you mean completely blow a year lead, than yea, I agree with you.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit, this thread is already about 15 pages longer than the last one, and only after one day! :lol

Can't wait to read all of it during summer vacation.

goldenpp72

why would the ps3 'take off' in years while the more popular systems (360 and wii) die? It would seem that unless MS/nintendo want to keep the generation alive for awhile sony is pretty much screwed on ps3, if the generation last a long time with new new hardware from relevant competitors, then maybe ps3 can catch up..

Or it gets some serious price drops soon.

PkunkFury

Xeke said:
If by paid off you mean completely blow a year lead, than yea, I agree with you.

how did they completely blow a year lead? They have a significantly higher userbase than the PS3, and it looks like the PS3 may never catch up. I gaurantee the 360 is hurting PS3 adoption rate more than the Wii is, and this may not have been the case if the 360 weren't so well established with so many titles right now. Wii consumers weren't going to consider the PS3 anyway at that price.

Sony doesn't dictate how thw hole market works any longer. They can say the PS3 will last 10 years, but they certainly can't stop someone like Microsoft from releasing something better in that time.

Bildi

Neomoto said:
The gif reminds me how the Robocop movies were pretty damn hardcore and violent compared to everything else I had seen when I was a kid.

Otherwise, I see Xeke is having fun tossing firecrackers around the thread.

The whole 10 year plan of Sony's is laughable. MS will have a console out in 3-4 years that is going to look a whole generation ahead of the PS3. How does that make the PS3 future proof????

The chances are VERY slim that PS3 lasts anywhere close to 10 years, going by current sales trends.

Oh, lord, this thread is growing faster than I can read it.

I'm so thankful for what the Wii is doing right now. Somewhere during the last generation or so the industry started catering to a very specific audience to such a degree that it alienated most everyone else. I remember one day, blinking, taking a step back and looking at the racks of the PS2 and XBox: they were filled to the brims of either bald aggressive faces, guns (hell, there was a game called "Gun"), or menacing creatures. My mouth was agape as I picked up a package for "F.E.A.R."-- the industry couldn't even make a 'The Ring'-inspired horror game without thrusting futuristic marines into it. The industry let the fans take the reins and got led to the road of "badass" 'badass" "badass."

I was embarassed. Halo and GTA were the face of the industry? If someone went, "Hey, what's this whole videogames thing about," they would be faced with bald space marines and crime lords. They would be faced with violence, faced with a steep-learning curve, and impossible 70-hour long game worlds. I'll always remember Roger Ebert's recollection of a meeting with a gamer demonstrating to him what I guess were considered the "premier" in videogame releases. The gamer proudly declared that it could take up to 60-70 hours of play to complete it. Ebert was completely off-put, and rightfully so: who in God's name has th time to maintain a hobby in which each game takes 70 hours of your time? If you play games for two hours a day that's more than a month. Is there any wonder at all that videogames were/are considered a childish waste of time?

Sure, there were always the "Super Monkey Balls" and "Mario Karts," but you weren't really a gamer if you played that stuff. They weren't what video games were about, at least no longer at that point. You were a non-gamer, or a noob, or some other label that sort of discouraged you from taking the hobby with any more passion or interest.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this, and even more glad that Nintendo took steps to take the industry back from the neckbeards and back into the hands of the public at large. When Yamauchi made his remarks about consumers for the most part not being interested in larger-scaled games, gamers declared him to be out of touch. Wii and DS has proven that Yamauchi wasn't out of touch, gamers were out of touch.

We're headed for the day when a bald space marine and a organized crime syndicate aren't the faces of the industry anymore, and I can't wait until we get there, and I'll only laugh at those that lament at the change in direction: you're not in control of the industry anymore. Now you will get to feel what it's like to be alienated by videogames. Now you get to be disenfranchised.

Wii, according to some, is "destroying videogames," and as long as "videogames" mean "Mature Shooter 70 Hours Huge Big Worlds' then I couldn't be happier.

*Gives a toast to the death of "videogames."*

Eteric Rice

Guys, when it comes to technology, there is no such thing as future proof.

I'm so thankful for what the Wii is doing right now. Somewhere during the last generation or so the industry started catering to a very specific audience to such a degree that it alienated most everyone else. I remember one day, blinking, taking a step back and looking at the racks of the PS2 and XBox: they were filled to the brims of either bald aggressive faces, guns (hell, there was a game called "Gun"), or menacing creatures. My mouth was agape as I picked up a package for "F.E.A.R."-- the industry couldn't even make a 'The Ring'-inspired horror game without thrusting futuristic marines into it. The industry let the fans take the reins and got led to the road of "badass" 'badass" "badass."

I was embarassed. Halo and GTA were the face of the industry? If someone went, "Hey, what's this whole videogames thing about," they would be faced with bald space marines and crime lords. They would be faced with violence, faced with a steep-learning curve, and impossible 70-hour long game worlds. I'll always remember Roger Ebert's recollection of a meeting with a gamer demonstrating to him what I guess were considered the "premier" in videogame releases. The gamer proudly declared that it could take up to 60-70 hours of play to complete it. Ebert was completely off-put, and rightfully so: who in God's name has th time to maintain a hobby in which each game takes 70 hours of your time? If you play games for two hours a day that's more than a month. Is there any wonder at all that videogames were/are considered a childish waste of time?

Sure, there were always the "Super Monkey Balls" and "Mario Karts," but you weren't really a gamer if you played that stuff. They weren't what video games were about, at least no longer at that point. You were a non-gamer, or a noob, or some other label that sort of discouraged you from taking the hobby with any more passion or interest.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this, and even more glad that Nintendo took steps to take the industry back from the neckbeards and back into the hands of the public at large. When Yamauchi made his remarks about consumers for the most part not being interested in larger-scaled games, gamers declared him to be out of touch. Wii and DS has proven that Yamauchi wasn't out of touch, gamers were out of touch.

We're headed for the day when a bald space marine and a organized crime syndicate aren't the faces of the industry anymore, and I can't wait until we get there, and I'll only laugh at those that lament at the change in direction: you're not in control of the industry anymore. Now you will get to feel what it's like to be alienated by videogames. Now you get to be disenfranchised.

Wii, according to some, is "destroying videogames," and as long as "videogames" mean "Mature Shooter 70 Hours Huge Big Worlds' then I couldn't be happier.

I miss the SNES days, when Square and Enix were two seperate entities. They'd always try to one up each other, and in doing so they pushed the RPG genre forward. There were also great games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (VI), Super Mario RPG.

And back then, RPGs weren't 100 hours long. They were more like 30, usually. While that may seem bad, those were some of the best 30 hours in video games, ever. Now games have fun, but with a whole crap load of shitty filler content.

Even the PSX had great stuff, it was always a varied industry.

Now, I see what you see. It's really sad. I miss my charming RPGs, my fun platformers, and my great adventure games.

Now we have this rugged image. Looking at this generation is like looking back at action films from the 80s. Most, if not all of them make you shake your head.

The video game industry is/was at a crossroads. In one direction lay cultural acceptance and prosperity a la movie, television, and music industries. In the other lay niche irrelevance, a la comic book industry. If you can see that crossroads, almost everything makes sense.

As for the 10-year plan for the PS3, it's marketing poppycock and if you honestly believe it, I've a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you.

I'm pretty sure DS and Wii set new records for portable and console sales, respectively, for a US April.
jordan0386 said:
Liking Mario is cool, but its been like 30 years already...can you lead the charge with new characters already

Cash cowing for the win
Weren't you just talking about your system of choice for Call of Duty 6?
greendublin said:
Could there be a sensor bar upgrade to make it more reliable?
Not really. A camera in the wiimote captures a view of the IR lights emitted by the sensor bar, and from their relative positions determines things like pointer position and how close you are. The closer you get, though, the easier it is to accidentally get your controller pointed in such a way that it loses sight of one (or both) of the sides. I do have this problem sometimes with WarioWare, since it uses so much back-and-forth with positions like Remote Control and Tug-of-War.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Does anyone know launch number for previous pokemon games? (Sales for each title).

The gap between Diamond and Pearl seems very big, wondering if it's the biggest gap for Pokemon versions to date.

3rdman

Mariah Carey said:

We're headed for the day when a bald space marine and a organized crime syndicate aren't the faces of the industry anymore, and I can't wait until we get there, and I'll only laugh at those that lament at the change in direction: you're not in control of the industry anymore. Now you will get to feel what it's like to be alienated by videogames. Now you get to be disenfranchised. And I couldn't be happier.

Its hard to read your post when you start off with such a great fallacy...When was the last time you took a gander at the PS2 install base and the sales of its "complicated" games? And what up with the "I hope you all suffer" crap? Look, if you want childish games with lots of color and extremely simple controls, I guess you know where to look. But why would you begrudge my mature tastes? Is there not enough room for both?

Tell me, do you still watch Sesame Street or have you grown out of that? I ask because you're argument denotes that we should accept only that which was acceptable in our youth...

Eteric Rice

3rdman said:
Its hard to read your post when you start off with such a great fallacy...When was the last time you took a gander at the PS2 install base and the sales of its "complicated" games? And what up with the "I hope you all suffer" crap? Look, if you want childish games with lots of color and extremely simple controls, I guess you know where to look. But why would you begrudge my mature tastes? Is there not enough room for both?

Tell me, do you still watch Sesame Street or have you grown out of that? I ask because you're argument denotes that we should accept only that which was acceptable in our youth...

I think the point is that there are way to many of those types of games now. It's almost like other genres are being forgotten.

Threi

notag
Eteric Rice said:
I miss the SNES days, when Square and Enix were two seperate entities. They'd always try to one up each other, and in doing so they pushed the RPG genre forward. There were also great games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy III (VI), Super Mario RPG.

woah i just got deja vu...i swear ive seen someone write this exact same thing before...

Xisiqomelir

sonycowboy said:
April 2007

Nintendo DS 471k
Wii 360k
PlayStation 2 194k
PlayStation Portable 183k
Xbox 360 174k
Game Boy Advance 84k
PlayStation 3 82k
GameCube 13k

Well, that should answer dammitmatt's question.

Eteric Rice

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
woah i just got deja vu...i swear ive seen someone write this exact same thing before...

I'm not the first person to have said it. I remember seeing a few others say the same thing. :)

3rdman said:

Perception is everything. I got sick of being asked of my interests and responding, "...well I like videogames..." and getting replies of "Oh, really? You like to play videogames? But aren't those things violent?" Or, if it were a gamer, getting a reply of "Oh, what do you like to play? Oh... yeah, well I'm not really into that kiddie stuff..." I guess I shouldn't be so vindicative, but that's just how I am. Just ask Jennifer Lopez.

And no, I don't still watch Sesame Street, but I still watch The Little Mermaid and The Lion King and The Princess Bride. And yes, I do like me some Terminator and Boyz N Da Hood every so often as well. But "Terminator" and "Boyz N Da Hood" were never the representatives of the film industry to the public at large.

Threi

notag
Mariah Carey said:
And no, I don't still watch Sesame Street, but I still watch The Little Mermaid and The Lion King and The Princess Bride. And yes, I do like me some Terminator and Boyz N Da Hood every so often as well. But "Terminator" and "Boyz N Da Hood" were never the representatives of the film industry to the public at large.

Lion King >>>>>>>>>> 300

im freakin' serious.

i haven't watched 300.

3rdman said:

No, he's saying that the 'mature-themed' games has taken over as the representation of what video games are all about, and it's bad for the industry if games are merely seen as just that.

3rdman

Eteric Rice said:
I think the point is that there are way to many of those types of games now. It's almost like other genres are being forgotten.

Yes...because nobody is making kid games...Hannah Montana doesn't exist, Mario is now a drug dealer, Zelda is now (always was) a girl, and Viva Pinata is actually a concentration camp simulator(...actually that last one is true.)

Its a false argument because these are no forgotten genres. As people age, their taste change...If I was 10 years old, I'd be crying for a Wii. Since I (and many here) are older, our taste have changed and (guess what) we also have money! Developers want our money so they make products we like so we give it to them... Kid games are on kid consoles. If you never want to be disturbed by Space Marines, don't buy a mature console.

Threi

notag
3rdman said:
Yes...because nobody is making kid games...Hannah Montana doesn't exist, Mario is now a drug dealer, Zelda is now (always was) a girl, and Viva Pinata is actually a concentration camp simulator(...actually that last one is true.)

Its a false argument because these are no forgotten genres. As people age, their taste change...If I was 10 years old, I'd be crying for a Wii. Since I (and many here) are older, our taste have changed and (guess what) we also have money! Developers want our money so they make products we like so we give it to them... Kid games are on kid consoles. If you never want to be disturbed by Space Marines, don't buy a mature console.

"Teh kiddie" huh...ok conversely i will say if i was 10 years old i would be begging to play games like Gears and GTA because they made me feel older and "cool"...but as i grow up my tastes change and i want games with better storylines and fun aspects, not just how much i can shoot aliens or rob hookers. I feel that liking that sort of thing is pretty juvenile but hey what do i know...im just teh kiddie.

3rdman

Mariah Carey said:
Perception is everything. I got sick of being asked of my interests and responding, "...well I like videogames..." and getting replies of "Oh, really? You like to play videogames? But aren't those things violent?" Or, if it were a gamer, getting a reply of "Oh, what do you like to play? Oh... yeah, well I'm not really into that kiddie stuff..." I guess I shouldn't be so vindicative, but that's just how I am. Just ask Jennifer Lopez.

Now I understand you a bit...and you really should stop caring what other people think...I didn't get to that point until I reached my 30's so good luck.

3rdman

Mr. Pachunga Chung said:
"Teh kiddie" huh...
Don't make me break out my Gamecube and copy of Wind Waker..."Kiddie" isn't a bad thing by a long shot especially in the hands of Miyamoto...but it is kiddy nonetheless.

In any case, my point was that he shouldn't wish the end of others preferences simply because they don't agree with his.

I'd like to point out that in parading around Space Marine games as the epitome of adult gaming, all you are telling me is that instead of getting mentally stuck at age 12, you got mentally stuck at age 15.

You seriously sound like the grade seven kid telling the grade five kid how immature he is.

Jokeropia

Hahaha, the meltdowns just keep on coming. Now people are spreading FUD about Wii software sales in false concern for third parties. :lol
3rdman said:
Mario is now a drug dealer, Zelda is now (always was) a girl
This is so insanely dumb I gotta wonder if you're actually serious. :lol

StevieP

Banned
LOL @ 10 year plan.

LOL even more @ "mature games with space marines" and "mature consoles" - it's like we're living in opposite world.

AniHawk

To all those bitter about the Wii sales in relation to the 360 or PS3: you're creating your own drama. It was your choice to pick up a 360 or PS3 so early on. Either you can enjoy what you have and what you're getting, or you can whine because you weren't thinking clearly. Again, it's your choice.

3rdman

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'd like to point out that in parading around Space Marine games as the epitome of adult gaming, all you are telling me is that instead of getting mentally stuck at age 12, you got mentally stuck at age 15.

You seriously sound like the grade seven kid telling the grade five kid how immature he is.
I never said that Space Marines were the epitome of gaming...where did I say that?

I never understood the stigma you all have with the term "kiddy". Its a label that Nintendo has worn with pride for 2 decades, why should it bother anyone? Is it really that painful to admit that the Wii is designed to make things as simple as possible? There is nothing wrong with that, but it simply just not my tastes and again (as I was only commenting on Mariah Carey's post) why should I be excluded from enjoying what I want?
This is so insanely dumb I gotta wonder if you're actually serious.
OMG sarcasm meter is completely broken around here...I'll come back when its fixed.

People have a problem with *kiddy* because it always seems to be used in a ridiculously condescending way. People who toss the term around act like they are too mature to wrapped up in such games. I'd prefer the term *all-ages*, but it would only be a matter of time before that started being used as a passive-aggressive slam against fans of all-ages material as well.

Glass Joe

As a Wii owner, I love my Wii but am astonished by it's chart performance so far. As a retailer, TO THIS DAY our shipments are sold out minutes/hours after receiving them. Especially when compared to the Gamecube, I'm astonished.

This has all been done without a huge showcase game, at least IMO. There's a couple of great "games," as in Zelda and Super Paper Mario, both of which the controller is an after thought, meaning in all honesty, they could be made on other systems without losing a step (including the GameCube). There's also a few first party games that use the controller's potential, but more in a demo fashion (mini games like Wii Play, Wii Sports, and Wario Ware.)

For me, the nicest feature of the Wii has been the Virtual Console, I love downloading old games and reliving my childhood.

I'm an old school Nintendo fan (ever since the NES) and am enjoying their current wave of popularity... but I have to think that unless they put out something substantial soon, a real AAA game that looks good and plays better and uses the system's features, that their good fortune won't last forever. Right now it feels like neat gimmicks, nostaligia, and Gamecube ports winning the crowds over, but they have to step up to the plate now.

sprocket

Banned
I just wonder how many of these non gamers are going ot buy a wii a few games then throw it in the closet? I mean games sells in NA havn't been that great. Even more so for 3rd parties.

Eteric Rice

sprocket said:
I just wonder how many of these non gamers are going ot buy a wii a few games then throw it in the closet? I mean games sells in NA havn't been that great. Even more so for 3rd parties.

That's because just about everything released is shit with little to no advertising.

PkunkFury

sprocket said:

probably about the same number of folks that did this with the PS2, PSX, NES, etc. It's the same crowd, I don't understand why you'd expect any different

Bildi

Segata Sanshiro said:
People have a problem with *kiddy* because it always seems to be used in a ridiculously condescending way.
Exactly. 'Kiddy' games are only viewed as immature amongst certain internet video game forum-goers. In the real world, a 'kiddy' game like Wii Sports draws far less eye-rolling from hot girls than something like Gears of War.*

*the above is not based on real-world experience. I'd have to know a hot girl for that.

Top Bottom