• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

mm04

FirstInHell said:
Originally Posted by datruth29:
I've been wondering as to why Walmart doesn't give NPD sales data for a while now. Does anybody know? Was it a deal that didn't go through, or is it just Walmart not wanting to do it.

Walmart can pretty much do whatever they want.

Walmart and Sam's Club do not disclose any sales data to companies for any products. I know they don't give my company music or video sales data either.

These graphs are why I find Wii users annoying. They seem to perpetuate this idea that if a certain console isn't number 1, then it's completely worthless, whilst viciously attacking anyone who said anything similar about the N64 or GC.

laserbeam

Banned
RubberJohnny said:
These graphs are why I find Wii users annoying. They seem to perpetuate this idea that if a certain console isn't number 1, then it's completely worthless, whilst viciously attacking anyone who said anything similar about the N64 or GC.

For 10 years it was Sony fans laughing and pointing at Nintendo and Microsoft fans. get used to it you got 9 and a half more years to suffer through

RubberJohnny said:
we said we'd get our revenge one day, oh ho, things really do turn around don't they :)

but uncharted will force me to buy a ps3......

RubberJohnny said:

Actually, while most people are praising the Wii's success, often people will remind others that the 360 will continue to get fantastic games due its is phenomenal software sales.

PS3, however... well, let's not go there.

RubberJohnny said:

As with so many blanket statements about large groups of people, this one is completely wrong. Read the thread again. In fact, look for my posts specifically.

RubberJohnny said:

Putting everyone in one category is even more annoying. Anyways, I don't see how you feel the graphs indicate that the slow selling consoles are "worthless". They just seem to indicate that they will fail to gain market leadership, something that should not offend anyone with their feet planted firmly in reality.

D.Lo

RubberJohnny said:
Except the PS3 and even 360 are behind where the N64 and GC were at the same point...

More to the point, it's about applying the same rhetoric that was thrown at them back in the opposite direction. If a Nintendo fan is told for years that 'Gamecube sucks and no-one likes it because it only sells x ammount' it's pretty obvious what their rebuttal is when the competition sells LESS then that (much, much less in the PS3's case).

RubberJohnny said:
These graphs are why I find Wii users annoying.

There are extremely annoying fanboys for all of the different consoles. The Wiitards may just seem a bit more annoying right now because they are filled with hubris due to the sales figures.

They just seem to indicate that they will fail to gain market leadership, something that should not offend anyone with their feet planted firmly in reality.

****ed, and #2 or #3 are rather different things.

I'm also surprised at many people who think I'm a Sony fanboy, despite having never owned a piece of Sony hardware. Blanket statements and estimations occur on all sides I see.

And just for balance, I like the Wii, just not the over-zealous fanbase.

haircut

It is important that we all remember while speaking on the internet to be fair and evenhanded.

In addition, please use lots of qualifiers so people who never really got the hang of conversational English won't get offended by your "generalizations" and "blanket statements."

D.Lo said:
Except the PS3 and even 360 are behind where the N64 and GC were at the same point...
PS3 yes, X360 no. It's slightly above where Xbox was at 1.5 years, which was somewhat more ahead of where GCN was at 1.5 years.

Flakster99

I like to remember the times when Sony showed their own sales graphs depicting where their hardware/software stood in relation to their competitors during their E3 press conference.

"THE BATTLE FOR FIRST PLACE IS OVER!"

Or universally told by everyone if you wanted certain games that appeared only on Sony consoles, you were told repeatedly to buy their hardware.

Good times.

Flakster99 said:
I like to remember the times when Sony showed their own sales graphs depicting where their hardware/software stood in relation to their competitors during their E3 press conference.

From earlier in the thread:
0521ps1c.jpg

BTW, someone really needs to photoshop that & change to PS3, xbox 360, & Wii. I lack the tools (and talent).

Flakster99 said:

Or universally told by everyone if you wanted certain games that appeared only on Sony consoles, you were told repeatedly to buy their hardware.

Good times.

That was shown 2 years after the console was release, with a pretty big sales difference. Hardly the same thing applies here.

D.Lo said:

More to the point, it's about applying the same rhetoric that was thrown at them back in the opposite direction. If a Nintendo fan is told for years that 'Gamecube sucks and no-one likes it because it only sells x ammount' it's pretty obvious what their rebuttal is when the competition sells LESS then that (much, much less in the PS3's case).

No. 360 finally edged out XBox, and GCN was never ahead of XBox.

dyls

RiskyChris said:
Actually, while most people are praising the Wii's success, often people will remind others that the 360 will continue to get fantastic games due its is phenomenal software sales.

PS3, however... well, let's not go there.

Actually, one of the big stories of the April NPD is how un-phenomenal the 360 software sales were. The top twenty, not including handhelds (DS):

IGN said:
And here are the top 20 overall best-selling games of April 2007:

1. Super Paper Mario (Wii) Nintendo
2. Wii Play w/ Remote (Wii) Nintendo
3. Guitar Hero 2 w/ Guitar (Xbox 360) Red Ocatane/Activision
4. Guitar Hero 2 w/ guitar (PS2) Red Octane/Activision
5. Spider-Man 3 (Xbox 360) Activision
6. Spider-Man 3 (PS2) Activision
7. God of War II (PS2) Sony
8. MLB '07: The Show (PS2) Sony
9. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) Nintendo
10. Major League Baseball 2K7 (Xbox 360) 2K Games
11. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2 (Xbox 360) Ubisoft
12. God of War (PS2) Sony
13. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 (Wii) Electronic Arts
14. Gears of War (Xbox 360) Epic
15. F.E.A.R. (PS3) Vivendi
16. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories (PS2) Rockstar
17. TMNT (PS2) Ubisoft
18. Major League Baseball 2K7 (PS2) 2K Games
19. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Wii) Nintendo
20. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas (Xbox 360) Ubisoft

Both the Wii (SPM) and 360 (GHII) had one major release this month, and the Wii's won out. Also, the Wii games came in at nos. 1,2,9,13,19 while 360's titles were 3,5,10,11,14, 20. Basically a spot behind throughout, which is a bit amusing.

On the 360, Guitar Hero II underperformed, I think, and Spiderman 3 was no great shakes either (although in fairness the game sucked and the Wii version did much worse). Not terrible software sales, but the Wii did better despite having half the installed base. Not to mention that the Wii's lone third-party game actually showed some pretty good legs, which is unexpected, but maybe signals the more casual base of the Wii that won't necessarily pick up every title on launch day.

Flakster99

Metalmurphy said:
That was shown 2 years after the console was release, with a pretty big sales difference. Hardly the same thing applies here.

I said what I said for a few reasons.

One - Graphs depicting hardware/software dominance has been happening for a while now, no big deal.
Two - The software playing field is no longer as exclusive as it once was, where the HUGE majority of software was only found on the PS brand.
Three - Being told if you wanted to play such and such game, by companies and the Sony fan base, over and over again, to buy Sony hardware.

Turnabout it fair play? To an extent, why not.

mood

dyls said:
On the 360, Guitar Hero II underperformed, I think, and Spiderman 3 was no great shakes either (although in fairness the game sucked and the Wii version did much worse). Not terrible software sales, but the Wii did better despite having half the installed base. Not to mention that the Wii's lone third-party game actually showed some pretty good legs, which is unexpected, but maybe signals the more casual base of the Wii that won't necessarily pick up every title on launch day.

Eh, I wouldnt say Guitar Hero II underperformed since it had 5 days of sales in the March NPD. Adding up those sales (which went into April, since GH2 was released April 3) with this months it did 488k.

Narag

mood said:
Eh, I wouldnt say Guitar Hero II underperformed since it had 5 days of sales in the March NPD. Adding up those sales (which went into April, since GH2 was released April 3) with this months it did 488k.

I'd say that's exceptional for a $90 game.

Eteric Rice

Lets all just agree that third party wise, both the Wii and 360 are doing fine.

I don't know about the PS3. I haven't been keeping up with it's numbers.

Sharp

D.Lo said:

It's true, though--Nintendo fans are getting annoying about the sales, and it's not just revenge. Yes, there's a big difference between the PS3 and the Wii, between the DS and everyone else, between the GBA and... okay, yes, it's fun to gloat. I should know, I'm one of you myself. But--and maybe I feel this way because I entered last-gen late and never got a GCN--sales figures are no substitute for great games. That's not to say high sales don't often lead to their creation (through studio acquisition, shifting developer support, etc.) and low sales don't have somewhat of the opposite effect, but in and of itself they are completely meaningless. You don't parade high sales to excuse the Wii's current lack of games, you don't try to make PS3 owners feel bad about the Sony Gamers' Day footage by posting huge charts emphasizing how horribly their console of choice is selling, and ABOVE ALL you need to stop whining whenever a game isn't announced for Wii or DS.

It's that last part that's really been grating my nerves. Maybe Wii owners want revenge for the PS2 days and the alleged (again, I wasn't around for the GCN period) Sales-Age smackdown by PS2 owners, but when they start trolling great PC game threads, querulously demanding Wii ports and questioning exclusives, their shrill, squeaky voices, yet unmarred by the healing touch of puberty, rising higher and higher in an uneven, cackling monastic sales chant, that excuse disappears rapidly and I just want to strangle them.

The example that comes to mind is the OMG BLIZZARD EXCITE thread; it really pissed me off when I saw a few Nintendo fans try to derail the impending Starcraft 2 love with DS/Wii/console sales talk. I have a suggestion for how to deal with situations like this, Wiitards: shut up about your consoles' sales. THIS IS ****ING STARCRAFT. It is so far beyond Sales-Age it's not even funny, and if you want to go there it sold something like fourteen MILLION copies. That's right, a sexy high-quality hardcore RTS sold more than your precious Nintendogs, on the DEAD PC. Crazy huh? DAMN I guess maybe they don't need the DS/Wii brigade's help picking a platform now do they NO OF COURSE THEY DON'T YOU NTARDS BLIZZARD CAN MAKE BIG MONEY JUST FINE KTHX?

All I can think of is that Nintendo fans are still in shock that the console they would have bought anyway is selling well for once, and it's gone to their heads and made them mad. My advice in that case is just to wait: eventually they'll calm down and things will start to cool off, or they'll get their quality games and have a legitimate reason to be happy, or they won't and they'll get manic-depressive and I don't know what will happen.

Sorry if this seems excessive, it's just getting frustrating and I had to get this off my chest. I do like the Wii, and I do think it will have plenty of games I want to play in the future, but follow the old adage: if you aren't interested in the game except as a possible moneymaker on the Wii or DS, GET OUT OF MY THREAD.

Kafel

Banned
Nintendo is impressive.

If there isn't a slowdown for them this summer, I believe there will be shortages until mid-2009.

The AAA titles are coming and will create a new demand when even the initial demand is not yet satisfied. The Wii is still selling because of Wii Sports today, it's crazy.

Deku

Banned
I believe sales on consoles was only mentioned in the SC thread when graphictards started complaining about how Blizzard didn't apply the latest and greatest effects just so they can feel good about it. Most of the posters were annoyed, but I can see why junior troll shard would hold an opposing view.

Sucks for you.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this, and even more glad that Nintendo took steps to take the industry back from the neckbeards and back into the hands of the public at large. When Yamauchi made his remarks about consumers for the most part not being interested in larger-scaled games, gamers declared him to be out of touch. Wii and DS has proven that Yamauchi wasn't out of touch, gamers were out of touch.

We're headed for the day when a bald space marine and a organized crime syndicate aren't the faces of the industry anymore, and I can't wait until we get there, and I'll only laugh at those that lament at the change in direction: you're not in control of the industry anymore. Now you will get to feel what it's like to be alienated by videogames. Now you get to be disenfranchised.

so instead we're heading for the day when we get loads of shitty platformer movie tie-ins and licensed crap, like we ended up with on the latter days of the SNES and Genesis?

People only seem to remember the good things about Nintendo, and not the bad when they were dominating. Technology did hold back game development and restrict developers to simple, no brainer platformers etc. They were as prevalent as your 'space marine shooters' are today.

So while the Wii is taking a side-step and I applaud it, I don't want it to be the only option. I still want my powerful consoles, which to me are just as likely to take gaming in different directions as the wiimote becasue they provide more opportunity for developers to express their imaginations.

Both approaches have their value.

mood said:

I love that he cited one game that was out for like two days and another game that sold 200k in a week last month.

Top marks.

Haunted

Kafel said:
Nintendo is impressive.

If there isn't a slowdown for them this summer, I believe there will be shortages until mid-2009.

The AAA titles are coming and will create a new demand when even the initial demand is not yet satisfied. The Wii is still selling because of Wii Sports today, it's crazy.

And people were laughing at me when I said that Wii Sports and Zelda would be enough to keep the Wii sold out well into the summer.

Eteric Rice

mrklaw said:
so instead we're heading for the day when we get loads of shitty platformer movie tie-ins and licensed crap, like we ended up with on the latter days of the SNES and Genesis?

People only seem to remember the good things about Nintendo, and not the bad when they were dominating. Technology did hold back game development and restrict developers to simple, no brainer platformers etc. They were as prevalent as your 'space marine shooters' are today.

So while the Wii is taking a side-step and I applaud it, I don't want it to be the only option. I still want my powerful consoles, which to me are just as likely to take gaming in different directions as the wiimote becasue they provide more opportunity for developers to express their imaginations.

Both approaches have their value.

Actually, plenty of those movie spin offs from back in the SNES days were awesome. Especially the Disney games.

Anyway, I'm glad the Wii is taking a step back in terms of visuals. It tech race was fine until the $400 - $600 systems started hitting.

Glad someone thought of the people that don't have that kinda cash.

Sharp

Deku said:
I believe sales on consoles was only mentioned in the SC thread when graphictards started complaining about how Blizzard didn't apply the latest and greatest effects just so they can feel good about it. Most of the posters were annoyed, but I can see why junior troll shard would hold an opposing view.

Sucks for you.
Wrong, they were trolling before the game was even announced. If you slavishly kept up with the thread like I did you would have spotted them. Fortunately most of the Nintendo fans who didn't care about the game knew this wasn't their thread. I've been out for awhile and had no idea it started up again in the SC2 thread, where it's in any case still irrelevant to my argument unless people were pushing for it to go to Wii and DS.

(P.S. Shard?).

Jokeropia

Sharp said:
Sorry, got my information from this post, which still doesn't really invalidate any of what I said. It's also telling that you scanned the post and extracted this one tidbit. Is 10 million unimpressive all of a sudden?
I scan all posts for inaccurate statements like that. Sales-age is what I'm here for.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
that is fine. And I think it will expand the market, bring back old gamers etc. Which is good for everyone. But I still think technology (360/PS3 approach) also offers new opportunities.

I know there were good movie tie-ins, just like there are good space marine games. But there was a lot of dross too.

Sharp

I have no problem with movie tie-ins when they're well done. A lot of Disney games in the 16-bit generation were fantastic.

Eteric Rice

mrklaw said:
that is fine. And I think it will expand the market, bring back old gamers etc. Which is good for everyone. But I still think technology (360/PS3 approach) also offers new opportunities.

I know there were good movie tie-ins, just like there are good space marine games. But there was a lot of dross too.

Indeed.

I think the Wii will expand the market also. I also think that's going to have a lot of great games in it's future, with a huge library.

Of course, the other systems will have great games too. But I think most 360 and PS3 owners will also have a Wii.

Sort of like the PS2 was last generation.

Flakster99

I am going through some boxes in the basement for spring cleaning this afternoon, and I came upon some early/mid 90's Nintendo Power and Game Players.

Street Fighter 2 on the cover on NP, glowing about it's exclusivity on the SNES. Spent some time rereading some articles, previews of various games, there is A LOT of "You can only find such and such feature, games, game enhancements on the SNES", it's all over the place. Of course it's propaganda, but it's cool.

Then reading through Game Players, there are several top ten's depicting software, depicting what readers wanted released (software) on what console, letters from folks wanting to know if such and such game will appear on their console.

/public service on

If you're annoyed towards a particular faction of a fan base due to their overwhelmingly positive outspokenness towards their purchased product, ignore the thread, the subject, said poster, don't log in for a few days. It certainly doesn't serve those that are for the most part civil, having to read bullshit all the time. It's not worth raising your blood level.

/public service off

Deku

Banned
Sharp said:
Wrong, they were trolling before the game was even announced. If you slavishly kept up with the thread like I did you would have spotted them. Fortunately most of the Nintendo fans who didn't care about the game knew this wasn't their thread. I've been out for awhile and had no idea it started up again in the SC2 thread, where it's in any case still irrelevant to my argument unless people were pushing for it to go to Wii and DS.

(P.S. Shard?).

I did read the thread. I didn't participate in the shiftfest that started after 800 pages and the real trolls started complaning about graphics and gameplay. There was no such incident and your post history in that thread was atrocious and did not contribute in any meaningful way.

The few attempted trolls/joke posts that tried to lead the discussion into consoles where here and here. and were promptly told off.

StevieP

Banned
Deku said:
I did read the thread. I didn't participate in the shiftfest that started after 800 pages and the real trolls started complaning about graphics and gameplay. There was no such incident and your post history in that thread was atrocious and did not contribute in any meaningful way.

The few attempted trolls/joke posts that tried to lead the discussion into consoles where here and here. and were promptly told off.

And both Speevy and Ether_Snake are certainly well known Nintendo fans! :rolleyes

Xeke

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
Indeed.

I think the Wii will expand the market also. I also think that's going to have a lot of great games in it's future, with a huge library.

Of course, the other systems will have great games too. But I think most 360 and PS3 owners will also have a Wii.

Sort of like the PS2 was last generation.

I'm sure hoping that if the Wii does indeed reach that status that it doesn't bring along all the ridiculous shovelware that the PS2 saw but that is just and inevitable consequence of being on top I guess.

Sharp

Deku said:
Except I did read the thread and many several posts. I didn't participate int he shiftfest that started after 800 pages and the real trolls started complaning about graphics and gameplay. There was no such incident and your post history in that thread was atrocious and did not contribute in any meaningful way.

About three people were contributing in any meaningful way, and other than IGN the Internet was pretty much down. I never mentioned a specific major incident, it just bugs me that there were any and was the first thing that came to mind. I am not a "junior troll" and probably shouldn't have posted that, but it is getting really frustrating. I was not really thinking of you, since for the most part you're rational, but there is definitely a sizable contigent of Nintendo fans who helped Square ruin the SE party thread. If you think there is no problem and I'm just a troll, that's your right. As a Nintendo fan, I was personally unloading my frustration at how Sales-Age has to come into every single game discussion. Obviously, though, a sales thread is not the place people want to hear this. I'll try not to mention it anymore since it clearly upsets people very much.

P.S. I just read the posts you highlighted. Those were not the posts I was talking about; there was at least one (from a junior member, if I recall correctly) that was pretty clear trolling.

StevieP

Banned
Xeke said:
I'm sure hoping that if the Wii does indeed reach that status that it doesn't bring along all the ridiculous shovelware that the PS2 saw but that is just and inevitable consequence of being on top I guess.

It's already piling on the shovelware. It's inevitable for market leaders (the lowest budget developers always want something on the shelf) and because the Wii's cheaper to dev for, you'll probably see a similar ratio to the DS or the PS2. Some gems surrounded by mountains of shit.

Owzers

dyls said:
Actually, one of the big stories of the April NPD is how un-phenomenal the 360 software sales were. The top twenty, not including handhelds (DS):

Both the Wii (SPM) and 360 (GHII) had one major release this month, and the Wii's won out. Also, the Wii games came in at nos. 1,2,9,13,19 while 360's titles were 3,5,10,11,14, 20. Basically a spot behind throughout, which is a bit amusing.

As it's been already said, Guitar Hero 2 had 299k sales from the few days it was out in the March NPD chart. Spider-Man 3 was a crappy game that didn't deserve to sell, but it will still sell and was only out a few days in the April NPD report.

Eteric Rice

Sharp said:
About three people were contributing in any meaningful way, and other than IGN the Internet was pretty much down. I never mentioned a specific major incident, it just bugs me that there were any and was the first thing that came to mind. I am not a "junior troll" and probably shouldn't have posted that, but it is getting really frustrating. I was not really thinking of you, since for the most part you're rational, but there is definitely a sizable contigent of Nintendo fans who helped Square ruin the SE party thread. If you think there is no problem and I'm just a troll, that's your right. As a Nintendo fan, I was personally unloading my frustration at how Sales-Age has to come into every single game discussion. Obviously, though, a sales thread is not the place people want to hear this. I'll try not to mention it anymore since it clearly upsets people very much.

P.S. I just read the posts you highlighted. Those were not the posts I was talking about; there was at least one (from a junior member, if I recall correctly) that was pretty clear trolling.

I was probably from that shit fest. But, to be fair, the reason I was angry was because of that "Nintendo fans should keep an eye out" deal.

I do apologize, though. Sometimes I get crazy. :|

Xeke

Banned
StevieP said:
It's already piling on the shovelware. It's inevitable for market leaders (the lowest budget developers always want something on the shelf) and because the Wii's cheaper to dev for, you'll probably see a similar ratio to the DS or the PS2. Some gems surrounded by mountains of shit.

It's a damn shame. I seem to remember less shovelware on the SNES but maybe thats just my bad memory again.

Sharp

Just to bring this up one last time:
Here, at the very least. And yes, everyone got annoyed, including me. You did good catching the joke posts, though I think you missed Grecco.

Eteric Rice

Sharp said:
Just to bring this up one last time:
Here, at the very least. And yes, everyone got annoyed, including me. You did good catching the joke posts, though I think you missed Grecco.

I think it's probably the potential for RTS games on Wii that's making them do that. But I do agree, they should keep it the hell out of the SC2 thread.

Xeke said:
It's a damn shame. I seem to remember less shovelware on the SNES but maybe thats just my bad memory again.

From what I understand, when Nintendo had a monopoly on the market, Yamauchi forced developers to make sure the games were good quality before release. This is supposedly why he's referred to as a... Err... What's the word?... I forget...

I'm not sure how true that is, though.

Taurus

Does anybody have a link for the interview where some Sony boss (Tretton?) says April will be much better for PS3 than March since retailers are doing some heavy marketing etc.

Thanks in advance. :)

When I want a game like Final Fantasy 13 to come to the Wii if at all possible, it's because the target platform is too pricey or something. (Really though, the PS3 needs to drop in price and/or expand its userbase in other ways significantly if FF13 is to succeed on that platform.) I'm not averse to multi-platform ownership as long as the prices are right.

Top Bottom