• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

pilonv1

Jagernaut said:
With the Wii and PS3 shortages, i don't think the sales are that impressive.

:lol There's always one. Anyone who thinks that this isn't positive for 360 is delusional, especially considering where the others are.

Busty

Banned
RamzaIsCool said:
Actually everybody winns or loses (depends how you look at it). Worsed possible outcome for GAF.

:lol - Exactly. GAF doesn't even have the PSP to kick around anymore.......

... but in saying that, how did PSP software do? Specifically Killzone:Liberation

GhaleonEB

argon said:
Actually, the actual prediction was:

He was right on in choosing the low end of each company's estimates. Problem is, both companies missed their own guidance. Not Pachter's fault.
I think Pachter miscalculated both the shipped/sold difference, and Nintendo's chosen allocation for the US of that 4m.

holy crap at the 360 numbers. Phew, all I can say is that this, combined with the recent 1 million Dead rising shipped means capcom has NO CHOICE but to make a Dead Rising 2. YOU HEAR ME CAPGOD!!!!

Yay at PSP numbers as well =)

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Jagernaut said:
Xb360 had a lot of special deals in December though, free games, controllers and Toysrus's $100 gift card. I can't recall any other console (that wasn't being closed out) that had so many deals fcr the holidays. With the Wii and PS3 shortages, i don't think the sales are that impressive.

You're probably right, but most will dismiss such as spin me thinks.

Jammy

Banned
Christopher said:
forgetting the PS2 are we?

I def gotta get a PSP if sales remain strong for it, I was hesitant about support for it due to all the "doomed" talks for it.

You're comparing apples to oranges. You want a PSP because it got strong HARDWARE sales this month which you think will lead to great SOFTWARE support? What? PSP's game sales are still in the shitter worldwide. I think it's evident in that MGS: PO didn't outsell Yoshi's Island DS its second month (which took me by surprise).

Striek

RaijinFY said:
Can you just tell why PSP dropped off a cliff when last year, it sold 1.1M??? That's only 150k less dude, get your data right... :p
I didn't say how high the fall was! ;)

Relative to the market, handhelds (inc. PSP) did well, but uh, thats easy when everything is disappointing.

Jammy said:
You're comparing apples to oranges. You want a PSP because it got strong HARDWARE sales this month which you think will lead to great SOFTWARE support? What? PSP's game sales are still in the shitter worldwide. I think it's evident in that MGS: PO didn't outsell Yoshi's Island DS its second month (which took me by surprise).
I call BS on this software statement. Outside of Japan, PSP is probably leading DS on number of titles sold per hardware unit (tie-ratio). And if not leading, its certainly within .5 . And for third parties, its not even a contest.

Mojovonio

Banned
flarkminator said:
holy crap at the 360 numbers. Phew, all I can say is that this, combined with the recent 1 million Dead rising shipped means capcom has NO CHOICE but to make a Dead Rising 2. YOU HEAR ME CAPGOD!!!!

Yay at PSP numbers as well =)

DR2 got rumored in the newest EGM.

Striek said:
I am. PSP and GBA dropped off a cliff and the DS may be up over last year, but its nowhere near expectations (or old GBA levels). I actually thought Nintendo might have had their best handheld season ever with the two combined, and with the PSP handhelds might've outsold the consoles :p

Perhaps we have just to remeber that this chart is in USA and tehre are not the super record domination of Nintendo DS AND Nintendo Wii. Here the market brought more time to change and it has changed a lot less then Japan or even Europe.

If there is a place where the Playstation's brand is still very strong, this is the USA.

jwj442

Cerrius said:
After all the hype, Nintendo is the clear loser of the holiday season when it comes to the next-gen wars.
Yes, such a clear loser that they outsold the PS3 with both consoles having major supply issues.

Branduil

ksamedi said:
Being a gamecube 1.5 doesnt mean your easy to manufacture, it doesnt use the same cube chips, it also has new components not existent in the cube. Nintendo probably shipped 3 million WW instead of 4, which is still a good number but not what GAF expected.

Wii sells 3m Worldwide.

GAF: OH NOEZ WII IS DOOMED! THE PS3 IS ABOUT TO OVERTAKE IT EVEN THOUGH IT'S SOLD LESS SO FAR AND IS LESS SUPPLY-LIMITED. ALSO, THE 360 WINS BASED ON THIS ONE MONTH.

argon

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Go on GameDaily to read what he said: 1.2 millions for the Xbox360 and 1.3 millions for the Wii. He has to change Job.

So he was off by 100k on the 360 (pretty damn good prediction) and like I said, in the GameDaily article it says that 1.3m for Wii is still considered the low end of Nintendo's shipment guidance.

Haunted

Extraordinary sales:
DS/PS2/360

Great Sales:
PSP/GBA

Underwhelmingt0n:
Wii/PS3

Every faction has something to be happy about = GAF AM CRY

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Well the PS3 is a bit low but all 3 companies should be happy.

Sony's biggest enemy is themselves! PS2 still going strong!

:lol I just have to laugh at all the lame excuse making in this thread. What will be even funnier is all the PR spin from all three companies and the resulting photoshops that will follow those PR statements. GAF will be popcorn worthy for some time to come!

How did Viva Pinata do?

Dante

I don't know the numbers looks good all around when you factor stuff in. Wii would have sold more if they were available, etc...... anyways, i'm out before it gets ugly in here.

R3Z

I am not one to gloat but.....Hot damn the 360 is doing awesome.

A big lol goes out to the haters and the delusional peeps who think its due to "freebies". The console is $400 remember :lol

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
jetjevons said:
Well the PS3 is a bit low but all 3 companies should be happy.

Sony's biggest enemy is themselves! PS2 still going strong!

This might prove to be their saving grace when people start switching over to the PS3 and have a library of 1000+ PS2 games to choose from. Now, how many they can get to work at the proper resolution is another question.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Well, big, big disappoointment for Wii. Hopefully someone has the balls to ask wtf happened with the shipments.

Saoh

jj984jj said:
graph.jpg

WHAT? nop. it goes like this:

dec_npmarket.jpg

i was close with my predictions btw :) :p

Well, who has really won are the PS2 and Nintendo DS. Because they sold A LOT and A LOT of games have veen sold on them.
The GBA sold a lot too, but the games are slowing down a lot with time.
PSP is selling strong, but where are the games ?
Wii has super-MEGA shortages. Zelda's attach is the BEST I EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE FOR A NON BUNDLED GAME !!!!! But hardware's sales are disappointing.
Zelda on Gamecube sold a lot. A LOT. Where are Gamecube's numbers ? Zelda could have been an impact on Hardware's sales too, for the last time.

Compliments for the Xbox360 and Gears of War: what I expected for both.

JB1981

1167957311.jpg

**** yeah! can't wait to get my hands on this

I think the real winner overall here is Sony, considering the media drubbing they've received the last few months. They look like they're in pretty good shape now, don't they?

Odysseus

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Well, big, big disappoointment for Wii. Hopefully someone has the balls to ask wtf happened with the shipments.

as i said earlier, i actually think the wrist straps will be the likely sacrificial lamb

there's no other plausible excuse, really

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
PantherLotus said:
This might prove to be their saving grace when people start switching over to the PS3 and have a library of 1000+ PS2 games to choose from. Now, how many they can get to work at the proper resolution is another question.

I just think they released the PS3 too early. PS2 still had a good year left in it with strong 1st party support.

Am I the only one who thinks that the PS3 sales aren't that low? Let's face it, the thing has virtually no games and is 600 dollars. Not to give it a crutch, but it's doing far better than I thought it would 3 months ago.

The Wii is doing well too, but I can't help but think blown momentum when I look at those numbers.

Joe Molotov

KeithFranklin said:
So
GCN first 2 months > 1.2M
Wii first 2 months > 1.1M

But (a) GameCubes were always in good supply because (b) there was several months inbetween launches in each territory.

JB1981 said:
I think the real winner overall here is Sony, considering the media drubbing they've received the last few months. They look like they're in pretty good shape now, don't they?

How to keep milking the cash cow of PS2, without killing the cash calf of PS3. Tis truly difficult

Top Bottom