• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't get this. Sony's initially low production and distribution rate was said to be a result of all this fancy, high end tech. What's the excuse with Wii?

No idea. Certainly not 4 million.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DS is just the DOMINANT system for the holidays and so many people are disappointed...?

joeposh

D O W N said:
Wait... so does this mean the PSP is relevant again?

(or is she just going down swingin'?)

PSP always does unusually well during the holidays. Good sales at many retailers, plus a lack of DS supply probably helped. Parents also know the Sony brand from the last few gens... and tend to act off of that. The numbers in February and January should be especially telling in that regard.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
AltogetherAndrews said:
I don't get this. Sony's initially low production and distribution rate was said to be a result of all this fancy, high end tech. What's the excuse with Wii?

Simultaneous launch in 3 territories?

Twix

omg the people at sony must be dancing on top of their offices right now..1.4M PS2 and nearly 1M PSP ? WoW..also the PS3 numbers are not bad..are they ?

Kolgar said:
Xbox 360 solid if not spectacular.

Who lit a fire under PSP?

they had a stealth marketing campaign for psp, remember the youtube videoes, etc

and for awhile there, they were posting all those threads daily on gaming boards "I just bougt my 9 and 10 year old nephews 3 PSPs!! What games should I get guys?"

they were really workin overtime getting psp perception up

Odysseus

Banned
Krowley said:
It looks like wii really was way undershipped... Pre NPD estimates were way off. I originally predicted 900k, but recent buzz had me thinking they had topped 1 million.

remember what i said about leprechauns, dude

analysts were caught drinking the kool-aid

Christopher

AltogetherAndrews said:

There is none.

Saoh

for better viewing :)

dec_npd.jpg

Difference between Wii and PS3: a mere 113,500 units.
Difference between DS and PSP: 646,800 units

AltogetherAndrews said:

there's none. my guess is that they recalled/halted most/some of the units because of the wrist strap problems. i guess they didnt have back up shipments.

btw, i guess this means that they missed their 4M target. i dont think Europe could get them to that mark.

Hero said:
Wow. Zelda combined sold over a million units in December. Craziness. Almost 500K for NSMB too, what's that bring its LTD total in North America?

Nice Xbox 360 sales.

Yeah, I'm really happy for Zelda. It is really a fantastic game and the sales in Japan are really disappointing. But in USA, Zelda is smashing the world and mark my words: it will sell in USA more then Ocarina of Time.

Mrbob

I'm still shocked how low the Wii numbers are. Seems like its success has been overstated if it only sold 604K in December.

GhaleonEB said:
The PS3 and Wii are supply constrained. Wait for January. :)

Combine Wii and CG Zeldas though... :p

Well Nov and December Gears outsold Zelda in USA. Even if you combine the GCN number.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Eh, unless I missed something didn't Nintendo always say it would be a million by end of the year. Then retracted that statement, which implied supply problems.

But they've managed to achieve it anyway by the look of those figures.

Where were people expecting them to have magically manufactured another million from?

Kusagari

PantherLotus said:
EVERYBODY WITH THE "OUCH @ PS3" :

According to the un-updated numbers, they sold only 100k less than the Wii.

PS3 is about 5000x more instock than Wii which nobody can still find anywhere. Well pretty much everyone has spotted a PS3 at one point or another by now.

CowGirl

AltogetherAndrews said:

Worldwide launch.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I was just about to ask for Guitar Hero II numbers, seems like I don't have to. Impressive GH2 sales, and I'm guessing it will probably keep selling for a while as well, just like GH1 did.

But if that's all the games sold with a guitar controller, I wonder how many games they sold without one? Also, would be interesting to see sales for the first game during December. :)

Branduil

So what's the deal with Sony claiming they shipped a million units? Even counting Canada and Mexico, there would have to be at least 200,000 units just sitting on store shelves if they're not lying about what "shipped" means.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Um...

so Odysseus wins? WTF is THAT?

Branduil said:
So what's the deal with Sony claiming they shipped a million units? Even counting Canada and Mexico, there would have to be at least 200,000 units just sitting on store shelves if they're not lying about what "shipped" means.

Tracking period perhaps.

suaveric

Nintendo let everyone know this was coming a month ago. They took the part out of their press release saying they'd have well over a millions Wii on store shelves by the end of the year. 10% is not "well over". They're off by almost 50% of what Reggie had promised to NA by the first week of January. How much did having to replace those straps hurt Nintendo?

Having to open up a million boxes to replace one little thing = Nintendo's missed chance.

Krowley

AltogetherAndrews said:

Worldwide launch...

If i'm not mistaken, i think japan got more wii's than NA during december.. at least that's my memory.

Striek

GhaleonEB said:
Please don't start this again. The goal was ALWAYS shipped. We don't know sell-through WW right now. Keep it to US sales!
Are US sales now above Xbox LTD (same timeframe)?

Nash said:
Where were people expecting them to have magically manufactured another million from?
4M WW. ~1M JPN, ~1.2M NA, 350k at EU launch and then a huge dropoff in the software charts would indicate they shipped next to nothing afterwards.... means they undershipped by a LOT. Proportionately probably as much as Sony.

GhaleonEB

Mrbob said:
I'm still shocked how low the Wii numbers are. Seems like its success has been overstated if it only sold 604K in December.

Well Nov and December Gears outsold Zelda in USA. Even if you combine the GCN number.
Well, yeah. But I thought he meant just this month. My bad.

I'm floored at the Wii number. I predicted 1.2m

AltogetherAndrews said:

I couldn't hazard a guess, but I'm not buying the cop out excuse of supply constraint. It is essentially old hardware so it shouldn't be that hard to manufacture. The PS3 and Wii simply didn't sell as well as expected, end of story.

Haunted

jj984jj said:
DS is just the DOMINANT system for the holidays and so many people are disappointed...?
I don't see anyone disappointed at handheld sales in general and DS sales in particular.

Everybody's whining about the Wii and PS3 being way below what the companies and analysts told us beforehand though. :D

Odysseus

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I couldn't hazard a guess, but I'm not buying the cop out excuse of supply constraint. It is essentially old hardware so it shouldn't be that hard to manufacture. The PS3 and Wii simply didn't sell as well as expected, end of story.

maybe the wrist-strap really did kill them

Nash said:
Eh, unless I missed something didn't Nintendo always say it would be a million by end of the year. Then retracted that statement, which implied supply problems.

But they've managed to achieve it anyway by the look of those figures.

In fact the problem is not Nintendo: is an analyst named Patcher. Is it possible to make an estimation of 1.3 millions with a mistake of 600k ? I don't really understand that.

Great, Great sales for Yoshi's Island II and New Super Mario Bros.

JB1981

soul creator said:
er, isn't he saying that the Wii won't outsell the 360...which is what happened?

Although in fairness, sonycowboy's post title, and the fact that the Wii "1.1 million" column was so close to the 360's "1.1 million" made me think for a second they sold the same amount in December. Had to look closer to see what happened :p

EXACT same thing happened to me. I realized just now that it sold only in the 600k range. Not good.

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:

Lol, controller shortage. Sure, the system is easy to manufacture, but NOBODY could find controllers anywhere. Gyroscopes am hard!

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I guess that by January all consoles should have lots of units waiting on the shelves. Next month is going to be a bloodbath, I can see it.

tHoMNZ

Xavien said:
looking at the charts, didn't zelda sell over 1 million (GC and Wii combined) ? that puts it at above Gears of War on the All Format charts.

you should compare nextgen games (not saying the wii version is nextgen)

.. i kid i kid :D

LJ11

Branduil said:

Sony did say they ship about 180k a week. What was the cut off for December NPD, was it the 28th?

CorwinB

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I couldn't hazard a guess, but I'm not buying the cop out excuse of supply constraint. It is essentially old hardware so it shouldn't be th at h ard to manufacture.

At some point, HW being old or new doesn't matter much. There are production bottlenecks that have absolutely nothing to do with technology. Could be plastic, could be manufacturing space... Look at the JP shortage of DS carts a couple months ago (before Pokemans were shown).

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
In fact the problem is not Nintendo: is an analyst named Patcher. Is it possible to make an estimation of 1.3 millions with a mistake of 600k ? I don't really understand that.

He was wrong for a year about 360, always overestimating.

Odysseus

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:

pachter wasn't the only guy caught sipping the kool-aid

he wasn't even the first one

Top Bottom