• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2015 [Up1: Super Mario Maker]

Kysen

How is it that after so many NPD months, regulars here still don't understand the concept of software bundles not being included? I am truly baffled.

Same song and dance every NPD thread. We even have people thinking PS4 doubled X1 in the US.

Fallout 4 selling more on Xbox didn't make any sense, especially without bundles. The game has 870 customer reviews for PS4 and 576 customer reviews for Xbox One. Whatever you think of Amazon, the gap was too important.

Bluenoser

Right. Further evidence that the whole "Digital is stealing from Physical" is horseshit.

Physical sales are in decline because far fewer titles are being released. The titles that are being released physically are selling as well or better than at any time in history.

Digital is growing a lot, doesn't mean it has to take away from Physical.

It did not sell more copies than 10 other games in the year.

Not to mention for the budget-conscious gamer, physical can usually be had for cheaper. New releases are rarely discounted digitally, where they almost always are physical.

minx

Halo in Bungie days didn't give a shit about it being on one platform. It's just that Halo now is not Halo X360.

Obviously the casuals play COD now and not Halo. But NPD back then didn't group muliplatform games into one number so it's not a fair comparison either way.

OP should always add: NPD DOESN'T COUNT BUNDLES NOR DIGITAL SALES. Without it we get hundreds of messages about "wow, that X sold more on Y, didn't see that coming".

I'm always surprised by how well Minecraft does on Xbox, almost makes me think that if MS can just keep in the console business for another decade, they might be able to beat Sony with nostalgia alone once all those kids playing today are old enough to buy their own systems.

Also really need to know the RotTR number, because unless it sold an insanely higher number in December than it did November, knowing how it sold in the rest of the world, there's no way it's sold through a million copies.

watdaeff4

It baffles me that games like CoD sell more on Xbox, despite PS4 having nearly double the consoles out there. At some point the match just doesn't add up.
Gap is isn't as big in US and factor in some buyers like me who own both but bought CoD on XB1

For the same reason I bought MGSV on PS4. Brand ties

I'm really curious how big the next Red Dead is going to be. Obviously it won't be GTAV level sales but its got to be pretty giant for them. Rockstar is just a destroyer of sales

Right. Further evidence that the whole "Digital is stealing from Physical" is horseshit.

Physical sales are in decline because far fewer titles are being released. The titles that are being released physically are selling as well or better than at any time in history.

Digital is growing a lot, doesn't mean it has to take away from Physical.

Not really that just shows that Physical is still the main source of business.
DD taking sales from physical is a given just like it does for everything else.

Wow GTA V still managing to pull off 6th place? That's really impressive... Also I wonder what The Witcher 3's sales (for the year) were like in terms of a ranking, given all the positive press and awards it got.

Mortal Kombat sold better than Batman?

Mortal Kombat is really popular, moreso than I think a lot of people think. It's not super huge in the competitive scene but it's up there with Smash for fighting games casuals love. Netherrealm also tends to do a much better job with single player in their FG's than most.

Bluenoser

Hardware update

“After 26 months of sales, the combined cumulative sales of Xbox One and PS4 exceeds the 26 month total of the PS3 and Xbox 360 by 47 percent,” said Callahan. “The lead from the prior generation has expanded due to the strong PS4 and Xbox One 2015 holiday, going from 38 percent by the end of October, growing to 47 percent by the end of November, and maintaining 47 percent higher sales by the end of December.”

Let the maths begin!!!

Mr Moose

Call of Duty: Black Ops III (Activision Blizzard | Xbox One, PS4, 360, PS3, PC)
Star Wars: Battlefront (Electronic Arts | Xbox One, PS4, PC)
Fallout 4 (Bethesda Softworks | PS4, Xbox One, PC)

Inc. bundles, I wonder if it would be PS4>XBO>the rest in the top 2.

(BO3 sold more on PS4 inc. bundles in November, right?).

Edit: Also, there's a physical PC edition?

I won't be here for long, and probably I won't get an answer till tomorrow morning here in Italy, so...my personal numbers requests :p

- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Yokai Watch
- Zelda: Triforce Heroes
- Yoshi's Wolly World

They all sold more than two copies. That should assuage your fears.

Top Bottom