• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Swittcher said:
ngqbr.jpg

Oh wow. Jason from Ontario said it's better than a ps3. I am so sold!!! o_O

Interesting month.

The Dante's Inferno numbers seem really odd. It was more than likely due to the special edition being PS3 exclusive. I wonder how this will affect God of War 3's sales this month. Could the PS3 special edition of been used to tire some PS3 users out of the hack and slash genre and thereby lower GOW 3 sales in hopes that they transfer into battlefield sales.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Oh wow. Jason from Ontario said it's better than a ps3. I am so sold!!! o_O

Don't forget John, from Winnepeg..."I LOVE IT!".
Also, it has an integrated ethernet port which is really nice.

OK. But star trek ones were best.

I dunno...humiliated PS3 shooing away PSP gave this one GOLD status for me, it's a classic.

AniHawk

I don't hate HR, but man it was disappointing. I mean really disappointing.

one of the reasons I bought a ps3 was so I'd have the system when HR came out. That's how long and how much I've been looking forward to it

It's not even fun to hate on the story stuff like it is with Mass Effect 2. It's just depressing.

Gravijah

AniHawk said:

one of the reasons I bought a ps3 was so I'd have the system when HR came out. That's how long and how much I've been looking forward to it

It's not even fun to hate on the story stuff like it is with Mass Effect 2. It's just depressing.

I've had negative hype for years, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the demo. Guess it's lucky to hate sometimes.

AniHawk said:

I hated it. It was like watching a really long movie where you couldn't relax because when you least expected it you had to push a random combination of buttons. There wasn't really any gameplay to speak of, just quick time events and lots of walking about.

manzo

Unregistered007 said:
PS3 owners chose Heavy Rain, better game by a mile. btw I have 1000/1000 in BioShock please no fanboy nonsense.

Oh cool, now achievements and trophies count as trolling shields? Awesome!

Lunchbox

Banned
Unregistered007 said:
PS3 owners chose Heavy Rain, better game by a mile. btw I have 1000/1000 in BioShock please no fanboy nonsense.

Heavy rain can eat my shit. btw i have a platinum in heavyrain so dont question me

Baki

Opus Angelorum said:
The PS3 would have been outsold by the Xbox 360 even without this mythical supply constraints.

Until Sony or Nintendo for that matter release the actual number of units that retail stores had available for sale, the data provided by the NPD remain the only evidence that should be treated as accurate. All these reports from people claiming their local store had this and that does not count for shit.

To be fair, in the shortages thread. Multiple people from various parts of USA cited lack of PS3's within 100 miles of their locale.

Regarding next months NPD, I expect GOWIII to be number one. But in terms of combined sales, I expect Battlefield Bad Company 2 to be number one with Final Fantasy second.

Gravijah

Baki said:
To be fair, in the shortages thread. Multiple people from various parts of USA cited lack of PS3's within 100 miles of their locale.

Regarding next months NPD, I expect GOWIII to be number one. But in terms of combined sales, I expect Battlefield Bad Company 2 to be number one with Final Fantasy second.

...Pokemon you expect to be where?

kottila

NHale said:
NPD Sales threads makes me believe some people really think there's no other countries besides the US of A.

Yeah, it's strange that NPD talk focuses only the US and that Media Create and PAL charts focuses completely on other regions..

Baki

OldJadedGamer said:
GoW2 did 800k on a userbase of 40 million. GoW3 has to compete with Battlefield 2 and Final Fantasy 13 as well as dealing with the smallest userbase to ever launch a GoW game to. It will do good... but #1 I'm really doubting. It will chart as #1 but only on the PS3 charts.

GoW 2 launched in March 2007. 5 months after the PS3 launch in North America. This meant that the game did not get as much attention as it deserved.

GoW 3 however has a lot more attention this time around. I do not believe that the userbase of the PS3 will be a limiting factor in this case. It should sell a similar amount, if not more than GoW 2 in its opening month.

I think 800K is a very realistic goal for God Of War 3. Actuallly, anything less would be a dissapointment.

Gravijah said:
...Pokemon you expect to be where?

Good point. But Pokemon is split into two individual SKU's. They usually do about 800K each. So yeah, it'll be close.

Gravijah

Next month is gonna be exciting software wise, the more I'm thinking about it the more I expect it to be

Pokemon SKU#1
GoWIII
Pokemon SKU#2
BF:BC2 360
FFXIII PS3

But you could move those around so much that honestly I don't know

Baki

vazel said:
I'm not sure about that... Games are usually front loaded to the first month with succeeding months seeing a decline in sales. Fahrenheit sold 800k worldwide LTD and that's across several platforms. If Heavy Rain can get around 500k worldwide on one platform that would be awesome.

Heavy Rain has been no.1 in most EURO charts and is probably PAL ALL FORMAT's no.1 for the week it released.

noobie

Banned
When do we get top 20.. and i dont see any other numbers this week.. Just the top 10 on software n all hardware numbers.. pretty quiet.

Replicant

All of these bitter tears over Heavy Rain making it to number 10 is delicious. I can't imagine how suicidal some of you would be if it had been a higher number. Hmmm....mmmm....

21k9zpy.gif

Opus Angelorum said:
The PS3 would have been outsold by the Xbox 360 even without this mythical supply constraints.

Until Sony or Nintendo for that matter release the actual number of units that retail stores had available for sale, the data provided by the NPD remain the only evidence that should be treated as accurate. All these reports from people claiming their local store had this and that does not count for shit.
Mythical? Even NPD mentioned supply constraints:

"Overall hardware unit sales were down, but certain platforms enjoyed an increase over last year," Anita Frazier, an NPD analyst, said in a news release. "Xbox 360 nabbed the top-spot among the three console systems for the first time since September 2007 when Halo 3 as released. PS3 enjoyed a 30 percent increase over last year, even while retail supply is reported to remain constrained."

Gwanatu T

Good for Heavy Rain! Glad to see that game doing well; the studio totally deserves it! Color me impressed for the 360 as well. Although I'm surprised the Wii didn't make #1 again, I guess it could have been guessed after last months' drop. Not only that but other than NSMBW, what came out worth getting the system over? Nothing I would say, but then again that's never stopped it in the past. Here's hoping MH3 does well.

makingmusic476 said:
Mythical? Even NPD mentioned supply constraints:
you know he's just going to point to the word 'reported' and remain skeptical.

unless things turn around soon, March looks even worse for supply so far. 250 gigs were to be found in february around my parts... but by late feb nothing... so far that's continued.

Dante's Inferno not getting ignored by the PS3 fans... that makes me happy actually. I was totally expecting them to shirk it given that GOW3 was just around the corner.

I guess exclusive content in the PS3 version really does make a big difference (wasn't Batman:AA also a better seller on PS3?) and does enough to make up for any perceived slight to the Sony mothership.

plagiarize said:
you know he's just going to point to the word 'reported' and remain skeptical.

Not quite. My point is that even when there is supply shortages, it does not infer that the platform in question would have sold X amount more.

plagiarize said:
I was totally expecting them to shirk it given that GOW3 was just around the corner.

Surprising indeed, and it may cause God of War III to loose some sales (depending if those who bought Dante's Inferno intended to buy one or the other). Anyhow, I still expect God of War III to easily manage 500k+ in the opening month.

Gravijah

Regulus Tera said:
Just imagine its March numbers.

Just imagine them.

The moon is going to implode, punching a hole in time and space. Arceus will be born and then we will have motherfucking Pokemon in the real world.

If nothing bombs ridiculously next month, we could be seeing 1.5mil from Pokemon, over 1mil for Battlefield Bad Company 2, and close to 1mil for both Final Fantasy XIII and God of War III. Hardware sales will be interesting also, as both Wii and PS3 have been supply constrained, and it'll probably come down to who gets the most stock out there.

EazyB

Banned
Great to see HR do so well. Really can't wait to see how QD steps it up for their next project if Indigo -> HR is any indication.

Not sure why some are so upset that it didn't sell worse. I'd rarely hope for poor sales for any game but with shit like Dante's and Just Dance up there I'd figure more hate would be pointed in that direction.

Cheech

Son of Godzilla said:
Yes, actually. That is exactly the situation. Gamestop puts consoles on sale never, as compared to every other retailer. There is pretty much a "$50 gc with purchase" sale somewhere every other week. Unless you are fenagling one of their trade-in or used deals, buying a console at gamestop is stupid.

Also, if you buy a new console from Gamestop, you absolutely can not return it for a refund for any reason. Most of the big box stores allow this.

I just remembered Liberty City Stories comes out next month for PS3. It'll only be 1 day of sales but I guess everyone is expecting it to bomb.

Will March '10 be the biggest non-holiday month ever?

If Gran Turismo was still coming out in March I would've said yes.

savor100

Unregistered007 said:

Uhm, no. Heavy Rain didn't deliver and unfortunately I was one of many that fell into the hype of the game.

EazyB said:
Great to see HR do so well. Really can't wait to see how QD steps it up for their next project if Indigo -> HR is any indication.

Not sure why some are so upset that it didn't sell worse. I'd rarely hope for poor sales for any game but with shit like Dante's and Just Dance up there I'd figure more hate would be pointed in that direction.
Well, if you believe that the direction Heavy Rain is taking is fundamentally wrongheaded and will damage the fledgling medium of gaming by dragging it further down the blind alley of "interactive movies" (which currently can't compete even with our worst actual movies, and which are frighteningly simplistic in their interactivity even compared to games released ten or twenty years ago), then it's disconcerting to see that direction rewarded, because it increases the likelihood that other developers will jump into the bandwagon and drive us deeper into the uncanny valley, hootin' and a-hollerin' delightedly all the way about the industry's growing "maturity".

On the other hand, if he continues making bank like this, perhaps prized "auteur" David De Gruttola will finally be able to buy his way into some hack film school... where he belongs.

Top Bottom