• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Haunted

You'd end up banned. That "US" qualifier is significant. ;)
GT sales in the US have traditionally ranged from 3 million on the low end (GT4) to 4 million (GT1, GT2) to up to 7 million (GT3).

GoW stayed under 2 million and GoW2 apparently did about 2 1/2 million.

So even the worst GT mainline entry sold more than any of the GoW games.

FrankT

a Master Ninja said:
Looking forward, this bundle is a pretty clever way of delaying a price drop.
zwazyh.jpg

It should be widely available by the end of the month, and I expect it let the 360 maintain respectable sales through the Spring and Summer. It will probably lag behind the PS3 during some months but not the doom and gloom people predicted last year. This would then allow Microsoft to launch an Xbox 360 Natal bundle this Fall at $299, rather than having to jack up the price or take a significant loss.

Eh it's not going to remain $299 on the high end this fall I can almost guarantee that. They will do a real price cut and the lower end I'm guessing will hit $149 and $249 on top. Natal or no Natal. When they normally do a price cut (August/Sept) I doubt Natal is even ready. I suspect a redesign is coming. Regardless this Spring/Q2 should be very good for MS considering they do have pretty darn good SW exclusives coming plus a huge beta while the PS3 doesn't after March at least until GT5 or whatever else they announce for the fall. Simply let the SW talk as they are set until the fall. I suspect they will do more than fine during Q2/Q3 and into fall. I don't really see it lagging at all and especially so if Sony is saying there will be HW constraints until possibly June.

EazyB

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
Well, if you believe that the direction Heavy Rain is taking is fundamentally wrongheaded and will damage the fledgling medium of gaming by dragging it further down the blind alley of "interactive movies" (which currently can't compete even with our worst actual movies, and which are frighteningly simplistic in their interactivity even compared to games released ten or twenty years ago), then it's disconcerting to see that direction rewarded, because it increases the likelihood that other developers will jump into the bandwagon and drive us deeper into the uncanny valley, hootin' and a-hollerin' delightedly all the way about the industry's growing "maturity".

On the other hand, if he continues making bank like this, perhaps prized "auteur" David De Gruttola will finally be able to buy his way into some hack film school... where he belongs.
Really? You think people are going to stop making traditional games as a result of Heavy Rain? Developments in the joke that is storytelling in videogames is going to be altered in any way by Heavy Rain's success?

Seems to me like people that didn't enjoy the experience are butthurt that many other did. That's fine, you guys have all the right in the world to dislike it, but passing it off as anything greater than that is just ridiculous. If anything, it's shitty cash in titles like Dante's Inferno and Bioshock 2 plague the industry a lot more than people trying to throw something new and different into a console, regardless of how widespread its appeal may be or how well it's executed.

EagleEyes

templeusox said:
Haha. You gotta love that the few HR haters here have congregated in the bowels of the NPD thread to fight the good fight.
There have been just as many defenders in here as there have been haters. But I guess you can only see one side of the coin, right?

Haunted

EazyB said:
Really? You think people are going to stop making traditional games as a result of Heavy Rain? Developments in the joke that is storytelling in videogames is going to be altered in any way by Heavy Rain's success?

Seems to me like people that didn't enjoy the experience are butthurt that many other did. That's fine, you guys have all the right in the world to dislike it, but passing it off as anything greater than that is just ridiculous. If anything, it's shitty cash in titles like Dante's Inferno and Bioshock 2 plague the industry a lot more than people trying to throw something new and different into a console, regardless of how widespread its appeal may be or how well it's executed.
I don't think Bioshock 2 was a shitty cash-in.

Also, Heavy Rain wasn't new or different (regardless of whether you approach it from the adventure game or from the interactive movie angle), but I thought it was very well done and a clear improvement over Fahrenheit, which is what's important for Quantic Dream. I liked it.

templeusox said:
All I can see is bitter tears.
Can't see beyond your own?

Unregistered007 said:
OH PLEASE BioShock 2 sux

Don't forget folks, not a "fanboy".

Anyway, I'm sure someone has the numbers, so I'm going to ask: What are God of War and God of War II's NPD statistics? Did they end up selling 3+ million? Would be interesting to see the numbers on them to get a relative idea of what God of War III could do with fewer systems on the market.

FrankT

Karma said:
Does NPD count bundled games? Like the FFXIII 360 bundle?

They count them, but they rarely report them. The last time they even gave a hint of bundle SW sales from HW was MGS4 iirc.

This is the normal;
(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

Haunted

Skiptastic said:
Don't forget folks, not a "fanboy".

Anyway, I'm sure someone has the numbers, so I'm going to ask: What are God of War and God of War II's NPD statistics? Did they end up selling 3+ million? Would be interesting to see the numbers on them to get a relative idea of what God of War III could do with fewer systems on the market.

Karma said:
Does NPD count bundled games? Like the FFXIII 360 bundle?
Hardware bundles are not accounted for in the numbers.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
good for Bioshock 2.

it was by far the best game release of Feb. props to 2k Marin.

Haunted said:
GT sales in the US have traditionally ranged from 3 million on the low end (GT4) to 4 million (GT1, GT2) to up to 7 million (GT3).

GoW stayed under 2 million and GoW2 apparently did about 2 1/2 million.

So even the worst GT mainline entry sold more than any of the GoW games.

So how much is that is without bundles? It would have to outsell MW2 to put up those kind of number on PS3 in the US. My guess is it will top out at ~1.5 million of counted sales, and ship 2-3x that as Sony bundles it 6-12 months after launch.

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Eh it's not going to remain $299 on the high end this fall I can almost guarantee that. They will do a real price cut and the lower end I'm guessing will hit $149 and $249 on top. Natal or no Natal. When they normally do a price cut (August/Sept) I doubt Natal is even ready. I suspect a redesign is coming. Regardless this Spring/Q2 should be very good for MS considering they do have pretty darn good SW exclusives coming plus a huge beta while the PS3 doesn't after March at least until GT5 or whatever else they announce for the fall. Simply let the SW talk as they are set until the fall. I suspect they will do more than fine during Q2/Q3 and into fall. I don't really see it lagging at all and especially so if Sony is saying there will be HW constraints until possibly June.

When was the last 360 price cut?

Haunted

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So how much is that is without bundles? It would have to outsell MW2 to put up those kind of number on PS3 in the US. My guess is it will top out at ~1.5 million of counted sales, and ship 2-3x that as Sony bundles it 6-12 months after launch.
That, I don't know.

Rez said:
good for Bioshock 2.

it was by far the best game release of Feb. props to 2k Marin.
I see you haven't played Call of Pripyat yet.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Embarrassingly, no.

I'm yet to play any of the STALKER games.

Haunted

Rez said:
Embarrassingly, no.

I'm yet to play any of the STALKER games.
They're not as easy to get into as Bioshock, but the payoff in the end is appropriately substantial. Fantastic atmosphere and world immersion.

pr0cs

I'm really happy for Bioshock 2, I just finished it the other evening and I think that it was overall a better experience than Bioshock 1.
Yeah the game feels a bit like "hey, I've been here before" but the gameplay itself is 100x better, the story seems a little more cohesive and the amount of things to do and ways to play makes the game stay fresh through to the end.
I wasn't going to buy it but I'm glad I did.

Surprised at the 360 beating the PS3, but then I waste too much time on GAF where the 360 doesn't get much coverage.
Next month will be interesting for numbers.

FrankT

Karma said:
When was the last 360 price cut?

$199, Sept 07. It will be 2 years by that point which they know it will be due. You could argue the Elite dropping to $299 was a real price cut, but it was merely a SKU shifting if anything. They also know how well of a boost $199 did for them so I suspect a nice drop to $149 will be eye catching during the holidays.

WrikaWrek

Banned
snoopers said:
So... Bioshock 2 PS3 sold almost as much as Heavy Rain, but Bioshock 2 is a bomba and Heavy Rain is not. Hmm.

PS3 fans turned it into bomba because they bought Heavy Rain instead, so they turned that into a success story. Numba 10

racerx

Banned
Rat Salad said:
Oh c'mon,were not talking about its quality. It was pretty apparent that many at Gaf wanted the game to fail,there were threads on that game that were slanderfests,way before it was even released. Because it was a direct clone off of Sony's upcoming God of War it set off that crowd where they had to slander it every chance they got. Their "reasoning" behind their cricitcism may have seemed legit in their eyes,but the constant trollingof the game was a dead give away that it was the usual agenda at work once again.

Which is like I said,. In the end the forum through a tantrum over this game, for no real reason other than it had very good marketing behind it,and because of this it somehow violated stepping on Sony's toes for playing very similar to GOW. It was a decent game,but this forum made it sound like it was a total p.o.s.,which it certainly wasn't.

really? Certainly for some of the sony fan boys, that motivation is true. But from that original thread "DI is the most insulting game ever..." to 1up's comment "....because Dante's is as complete a forgery as games come...." to the very first comment from cotaku 's story on DI "... Dante's so obviously outright steals so many things from God of War it's kind of gross."

Don't you think there are people out there who really were genuinely annoyed that a game simply copied so much that people are saying it's just a reskinned version of an older game?

Evlar

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
As I stated, until Sony release the number of retail units that were available for February then any anecdotal evidence of shortages (no matter how true) cannot be quantified.
No, you called them "mythical", which is not anything like saying they "cannot be quantified". I went into Best Buy yesterday to pick up the FF13 guide, decided to glance at console stock. There were no PS3s on the shelf and no Wiis on the shelf. There was a pallet stacked with 360s in the middle of an aisle (I'd estimate about 20) and 360s on shelves in two other locations.

This is anecdotal, of course. Sony (and Nintendo?) warning of shortages is NOT anecdotal.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Loudninja said:
What are Bioshock 2 numbers?

From the OP:

"Bioshock 2 was the best-selling game in February, selling over 750K units at retail across platforms. The 360 version was the top-selling SKU for the month."

Considering BS2 360 sold 562k, PS3 should be around 200k. Heavy Rain did 219k.

Subitai

When did this thread become about next month. :lol

Thinking about Mass Effect 2 sales, I'm pleased for this month, but I really think it needed to do better last month if it was going to greatly exceed expectations. I also wish we could see if this bumped Mass Effect 1.

racerx

Banned
Some of you guys are deluded. I'd be surprised if GOW surpasses 300k.

Here is the preorders for next month via cheapassgamer

1 PS3- Final Fantasy XIII (31.5%)
2 360 -Battlefield Bad Company 2 (30.5%)
3 God of War III (17.8%)
4 PS3- Battlefield Bad Company 2 (11.5%)
5 360 -Final Fantasy XIII (8.7%)

I still think ff13 on the 360 will be closer to the ps3 version than what the preorders suggest.

racerx said:
really? Certainly for some of the sony fan boys, that motivation is true. But from that original thread "DI is the most insulting game ever..." to 1up's comment "....because Dante's is as complete a forgery as games come...." to the very first comment from cotaku 's story on DI "... Dante's so obviously outright steals so many things from God of War it's kind of gross."

Don't you think there are people out there who really were genuinely annoyed that a game simply copied so much that people are saying it's just a reskinned version of an older game?
there are people out there that feel that way... but i think most people are more like 'whatever'.

a game controlling and playing like another hasn't historically been something anyone seemed to car about.

Inferno has it's own story and a very different art direction.

I've never understood why a game being based on The Divine Comedy was offensive but a game based on Beowulf or The Odyssey isn't.

I mean do we complain when an FPS controls and plays exactly like Halo? when a racing game controls and plays the same as Gran Turismo? etc etc.

should we?

it's certainly intesting that PS3 owners bought it more than 360 owners, which i think nullifies the Bioshock 2 losing sales cause of Heavy Rain argument a bit. why didn't Dante's?

Doorman

*combs through the entire thread with a ctrl+F "Tatsunoko," finds nothing*

Do any of the data-wizards in this thread happen to know what sort of February numbers Tatsunoko vs. Capcom managed? It was out for less than a week in January so I've thought that this month might be a better indicator of whether it tanked or not.

Zoe

racerx said:

3 God of War III (17.8%)

I still think ff13 on the 360 will be closer to the ps3 version than what the preorders suggest.

So you use preorders as evidence for one thing but throw it out the window for the other?

Averon

racerx said:

3 God of War III (17.8%)

:lol
You're joking, right?

Evlar

Banned
NemesisPrime said:
True.. it is called PR.
What better information do we have to go on? We have had supply-constrained products in the past; the Wii was constrained for years. There was never any better evidence for Wii being supply constrained in 2007 and 2008 than anecdotal channel-checks and statements from the manufacturer. Nevertheless, at this point, it's considered factual to say that Wii was indeed supply constrained and out-of-touch to suggest it wasn't.

Why was it OK to say Wii was supply constrained in 2007 but not OK to say Wii and PS3 are supply constrained in 2010, based on the same types of evidence?

Evlar said:
What better information do we have to go on? We have had supply-constrained products in the past; the Wii was constrained for years. There was never any better evidence for Wii being supply constrained in 2007 and 2008 than anecdotal channel-checks and statements from the manufacturer. Nevertheless, at this point, it's considered factual to say that Wii was indeed supply constrained and out-of-touch to suggest it wasn't.

Why was it OK to say Wii was supply constrained in 2007 but not OK to say Wii and PS3 are supply constrained in 2010, based on the same types of evidence?
i don't get why it's anecdotal to throw a wide variety of zip codes into websites that try to locate the nearest system, and to find almost nowhere in stock across the country.

how is that 'anecdotal'?

racerx

Banned
Zoe said:
So you use preorders as evidence for one thing but throw it out the window for the other?

yes, because the cag community is a discerning bunch. They know that the ps3 version for ff13 is better, so they'll go for that one. People buying one game on one Platform over the other gets accentuated on cag.

Top Bottom