• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

2thepoint

We started accepting preorders for both after they were announced at e3 that year, haha. But even with that time, the XB numbers are pathetic.

How is the split for type 0 on your stores?

As to whether it's worth it... I feel like that's only slightly true here in the U.S. And maybe the UK. Everywhere else it's throwing money down a pit. And the split I've seen on every major Japanese release has never lent positivity to the outlook for the MS platform.

How's PS4 doing through March against Xbox One?

I'd suppose early March was closer but it has to be blatant domination by this point, at least going by what's happening on Amazon charts right now.

Not sure how it looks on Shogun's side, but for us, the preorders for FFXV and Kingdom Hearts 3 on the XB1 are not worth mentioning. More than a 70% slant for both titles; and Type 0 has been a quite drastic slant as well in favor in the PS4's favor. I know that the other two titles are far away at best, but we've got a pretty solid number of preorders for the PS4 version of the titles.

I remember Kagiri saying that the arrangements for XB1 to get ports was made before the gen started, but I can't imagine they're all that thrilled with the way it is likely to turn out. The audience for those games/genres seems to simply not exist in the XB1 crowd.

And MS has themselves to blame for that. For nearly a year they advertised it as the NFL box and bro machine. Nothing about there marketing ever made their system appear nuanced and catering to a global audience, something Sony nailed with the PS4. If Sony can ever get their WWS in order and can turn on the faucet of big well received titles they will obliterate X1 worldwide. The Order was decent, but had the wind taken out of its sails (or sales, eh) early, Bloodborne is a terrific follow up, and I am looking forward to Until Dawn, and if they can come out at E3 with 3 new games that has us all salivating with 1 or more releasing this holiday then maybe finally the ball is truly rolling at Sony WWS. At that point seeing where sales go combined with 3rd party exclusives (P5 baby!) and a $299 price point will be truly exciting, and something I just cannot see MS competing with globally.

Focusing on the US so much is a total backfire on MS's home turf as well. The world is much more global now. People in the US see something in Japan or Europe and they want that here, and vice versa. Bloodborne is HUGE for the PS4 and a big hole in the Xbone lineup that will no doubt play a big role in March's NPD and maybe even April's since that is a game with potential legs. Then you have titles like Persona 5, which I think will do great in the west, Media Molecule and Guerrilla and Quantic Dream have projects that will be released in the next year or two, of course the indies are there in spades and seemingly 3 a week are announced for PS, and all those things and more really fill out the PS4 lineup and will have an impact in every market including those tracked by NPD.

Welfare

So you got to play lots of Japanese games on PS2....now you're an Xbox fan and you wonder why there aren't a lot of Japanese games? Huh? That's some weird logic right there.
Why should I think that going from one platform to the other would not only lock me out of exclusive 1st party titles, but also most of one popular genre?

Also it's not like I just became an Xbox fan.

Sucks being an Xbox fan? You have other options. It doesn't even require you own multiple consoles. If you are such a big fan of Japanese games maybe a PS4 is a better console for you? Or a Wii U? Those ARE Japanese consoles so it only makes sense.
Yes I know those 2 consoles are better for Japanese games, but my point was that being on Xbox shouldn't mean that I'm missing out on some great titles.

Where's the Japanese support, Phil Spencer?

Abdiel

How's PS4 doing through March against Xbox One?

I'd suppose early March was closer but it has to be blatant domination by this point, at least going by what's happening on Amazon charts right now.

PS4 continues to do very well for itself, but the MCC bundle hasn't really done anything positive for the XB1. It's still facing really bad value proposition circumstances.

wait, timeout

Best Buy is already taking FFXV/KH3 preorders? lol

Lol. Yes. (I don't know how to hide a link in text, apparently. God I'm bad at that.) Basically, Bestbuy.com PS4 Preorders, click Square Enix for publisher, and ta da, both titles available, and have been since E3 2013.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
We saw some copies picked up on the XB1, but it was laughably small by comparison... And many of them seemed kind of bemused by their purchase? I don't know. Most of those grabbing it for PS4 were eager and confident in it, excited for more Final Fantasy; the ones grabbing it on XB1 looked kind of awkward or confused. This is entirely just based on the attitude showing outwardly, but there wasn't the new game giddiness much at all for those I saw picking up their preorders; and I don't think we had a single walk in buyer for the XB1 copies in the first 3 days in my home store.

It's really more than just that though; the attempt by MS to court Japanese developers with the 360 didn't pan out at all. The 360 versions of Final Fantasy still didn't do great, and even now, it is only MS policy keeping FFXIV RR off of their system... But I don't think that would change much anyway.

Speaking purely from retail, I just don't see customers buying Japanese titles for Xbox systems with any degree of frequency.

That jives with what others have said of walking into shops and seeing large stacks of PS4 pre-orders and maybe a small handful of XB1 versions. This is the first big JRPG release in the new generation so I can definitely see why PS4 owners would be excited given they're the target audience. Having no XB1 walk-ins within the first 3 days is a bit insane though. I have to wonder what SE's expectation there was and what they shipped out.

But you're definitely right. The demographic who buys Japanese games - especially JRPGs - is typically on PS or Nintendo systems. Xbox users are primarily into shooters, sports and western RPGs which is why those titles do well there.

Welfare

Lol. Yes. (I don't know how to hide a link in text, apparently. God I'm bad at that.)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&type=page&ks=960&st=categoryid%24pcmcat296300050018&sc=Global&cp=1&sp=-bestsellingsort%20skuidsaas&qp=upcomingnew_facet%3DUpcoming~Pre-Order%20Now^publisher_facet%3DPublisher~Square%20Enix&list=y&usc=All%20Categories&nrp=15&fs=saas&iht=n&seeAll=&browsedCategory=pcmcat296300050018

Click the
createlink.gif
button and...

Voilà!

Scalebound.

Who needs more than one if that one has the potential to be GOAT? /s

Given Platinum's track record from a sales point of view, not acclaim, I will be really interested to see how much marketing MS puts behind Scalebound. It is a decidedly Japanese game made by a Japanese developer for a system with no presence in Japan and arguably few Japanese game audience in other territories. I don't think it will be W101 in terms of sales, but would they be happy with Bayonetta 2 like sales?

MS has offices in Osaka,but it's basically just a regional branch.

There's no internal development talent there. Heck, I don't even think that they're the publishing contact point for the Japanese games MS funds.

Abdiel

Why should I think that going from one platform to the other would not only lock me out of exclusive 1st party titles, but also most of one popular genre?

Yes I know those 2 consoles are better for Japanese games, but my point was that being on Xbox shouldn't mean that I'm missing out on some great titles.

The Japanese support died out when it proved largely fruitless last generation. The efforts and finances poured into getting those titles did little to nothing to help the 360 in the long run, and that support dried up really quick. They stopped trying pretty early into a very long generation.

And MS has themselves to blame for that. For nearly a year they advertised it as the NFL box and bro machine. Nothing about there marketing ever made their system appear nuanced and catering to a global audience, something Sony nailed with the PS4. If Sony can ever get their WWS in order and can turn on the faucet of big well received titles they will obliterate X1 worldwide. The Order was decent, but had the wind taken out of its sails (or sales, eh) early, Bloodborne is a terrific follow up, and I am looking forward to Until Dawn, and if they can come out at E3 with 3 new games that has us all salivating with 1 or more releasing this holiday then maybe finally the ball is truly rolling at Sony WWS. At that point seeing where sales go combined with 3rd party exclusives (P5 baby!) and a $299 price point will be truly exciting, and something I just cannot see MS competing with globally.

Focusing on the US so much is a total backfire on MS's home turf as well. The world is much more global now. People in the US see something in Japan or Europe and they want that here, and vice versa. Bloodborne is HUGE for the PS4 and a big hole in the Xbone lineup that will no doubt play a big role in March's NPD and maybe even April's since that is a game with potential legs. Then you have titles like Persona 5, which I think will do great in the west, Media Molecule and Guerrilla and Quantic Dream have projects that will be released in the next year or two, of course the indies are there in spades and seemingly 3 a week are announced for PS, and all those things and more really fill out the PS4 lineup and will have an impact in every market including those tracked by NPD.

This is a really long statement that has some accurate statements, but misses a few things, namely: the PS4 is already dominating worldwide. The numbers are generally assumed to have reached 2:1 worldwide, or right around that by now, if not more, regardless of Sony's 1st party output. And even then, I'd rather Sony take their time to let the games cook as long as necessary before release than push them out just to get checkboxes on a list taken care of.

Click the
createlink.gif
button and...

Voilà!

Ah, see, every time I tried that, it kept putting all the text of my link into the message section as well, and I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks.

That jives with what others have said of walking into shops and seeing large stacks of PS4 pre-orders and maybe a small handful of XB1 versions. This is the first big JRPG release in the new generation so I can definitely see why PS4 owners would be excited given they're the target audience. Having no XB1 walk-ins within the first 3 days is a bit insane though. I have to wonder what SE's expectation there was and what they shipped out.

But you're definitely right. The demographic who buys Japanese games - especially JRPGs - is typically on PS or Nintendo systems. Xbox users are primarily into shooters, sports and western RPGs which is why those titles do well there.

It's interesting, you know, because Sony's platform is the assumed location for such titles, JRPGs and so on... But the favoritism for western titles by a western audience on the XB1 isn't really as good as it used to be. Sony's dominance returning a la the PS1 and effectively the PS2 eras means that we're seeing gamers of all audiences buying lots of games on the PS4, but that there are just *more* genres being bought in general, due to availability of titles nowhere else anyway. It's kind of a perfect storm, in a way.

koutoru

So they just have Japanese PR?

Fuck, no wonder...
That's part of the reason they partnered with Mistwalker early on. In terms of development studios, their presence in Japan was severely lacking.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were initially planning on buying out that studio with Sakaguchi still heading it, effectively making him a Microsoft employee.

How is the split for type 0 on your stores?

As to whether it's worth it... I feel like that's only slightly true here in the U.S. And maybe the UK. Everywhere else it's throwing money down a pit. And the split I've seen on every major Japanese release has never lent positivity to the outlook for the MS platform.

We sold a decent quantity of Type-0 on Xbone. I'd be surprised if that version was a loss for SE. Assuming of course the port was cheap.

PS4 led the way of course

There's no real value to Sakaguchi's company though.

It's basically a skeleton crew of game designers and artist to pre-produce game concepts that another studio actually makes.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
^ Maybe NOW, but back then, they did good work with Last Story, Lost Odyssey, ect

Probably doesn't see the benefit in niche games that don't sell a lot to his user base. ;)

There's Scalebound and whatever Phantom Dust is(I don't know what it is but sounds like a Japanese game).

Phantum Dust was a japanese game. Famous for being one of the only major Japanese games on OG Xbox outside of things like Soul Calibur, Genma Onimusha, Breakdown, Panzer Dragoon and the like.

This new thing...based on the trailer, looks as far from Japanese as possible. Everything looked super westernized, and even with the change in staff, i don't think they will be going back to Japanese devs for it. That kinda crossed it off my list to begin with

On Demand

Banned
Amazon's market share for data is small compared to GS or BB, but you can guess that those trends follow everywhere else. Most of the time it does, looking at GS, BB, and WM online sales charts.

2thepoint

That's part of the reason they partnered with Mistwalker early on.
I wouldn't be surprised if they were initially planning on buying out that studio with Sakaguchi effectively becoming a Microsoft employee.

Couldn't they just import the tent from the Xbox One reveal and used it as to house a new studio to make JRPG's?

It would be glorious.

cirus-tent-blown-wind.gif

Why shouldn't it?

Surely you saw the way things were going.

Abdiel

We sold a decent quantity of Type-0 on Xbone. I'd be surprised if that version was a loss for SE

PS4 led the way of course

Interesting. Has it continued to sell, or dropped off, for both systems?

We're still seeing some movement on the PS4 skus, but the XB1 has effectively stalled after the initial purchase run for preorders.

This is a really long statement that has some accurate statements, but misses a few things, namely: the PS4 is already dominating worldwide. The numbers are generally assumed to have reached 2:1 worldwide, or right around that by now, if not more, regardless of Sony's 1st party output. And even then, I'd rather Sony take their time to let the games cook as long as necessary before release than push them out just to get checkboxes on a list taken care of.

Totally agree. I meant it more that once WWS at Sony finally get it rolling, possibly this year even, then they will have a total iron grip on this generation and a way bigger lead. I don't want them to rush, but at the same time they have several studios that are approaching three years or more dev times by this year and that will be four years time next year. It's time to get on with it lol. I want more than one game from these studios this gen.

Interesting. Has it continued to sell, or dropped off, for both systems?

We're still seeing some movement on the PS4 skus, but the XB1 has effectively stalled after the initial purchase run for preorders.

I don't want to go into too much specific. Sorry.

Also I edited in as long as the port was cheap. I'm assuming the cost (from what I've heard) of porting between the Bone and PS4 is cheap. Costs less than last gen I'd assume considering the architecture between the two is more similar than ever.

Because different consoles have always had different games. It is pointless to complain about it. Do you buy Katie Perry albums and complain that she doesn't sing any Fleetwood Mac songs? You already knew that for Japanese games, you should get a PlayStation or Nintendo console.

Welfare

Why shouldn't it?

Surely you saw the way things were going.

By the time I did, I was heavily invested into Xbox Live. I couldn't switch as easily, and I hoped things would change.

They didn't :(

Because different consoles have always had different games. It is pointless to complain about it. Do you buy Katie Perry albums and complain that she doesn't sing any Fleetwood Mac songs? You already knew that for Japanese games, you should get a PlayStation or Nintendo console.
I don't buy Katy Perry :p

Also back in 2006/2007, is it so much to think that, hey, these games will be on the platform as well and in the future?

Also I edited in as long as the port was cheap. I'm assuming the cost (from what I've heard) of porting between the Bone and PS4 is cheap. Costs less than last gen I'd assume considering the architecture between the two is more similar than ever.

Now that you mention it, do we have any real evidence that porting is "cheap". I see it so often but it seems like it's just an assumption

Does anybody understand the logic behind SE's choice of platforms?

For example, why did they consider Type-0 HD on XB1 a good idea when they apparently didn't think FFX/X-2, KH1.5, or KH2.5 on 360 were good ideas? The latter seem like a better idea than the former. And why are they bringing FFX/X-2 to ps4 but not XB1?

There's no consistency.

Now that you mention it, do we have any real evidence that porting is "cheap". I see it so often but it seems like it's just an assumption

Idk if any devs have spoken on it.

It really can't cost much though. Both run x86 architecture and AMD GPUs and utilize 8GB of total RAM (though different types)

Unless something weird is going down under the hood it can't be all that resource intensive for large studios with good teams. Smaller devs though is a different story

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

For example, why did they consider Type-0 HD on XB1 a good idea when they apparently didn't think FFX/X-2, KH1.5, or KH2.5 on 360 were good ideas? The latter seem like a better idea than the former. And why are they bringing FFX/X-2 to ps4 but not XB1?

There's no consistency.

Well they might have already been considering a XV demo to attach with Type-0 from early on.

Abdiel

Totally agree. I meant it more that once WWS at Sony finally get it rolling, possibly this year even, then they will have a total iron grip on this generation and a way bigger lead. I don't want them to rush, but at the same time they have several studios that are approaching three years or more dev times by this year and that will be four years time next year. It's time to get on with it lol. I want more than one game from these studios this gen.

We'll see how it goes. This E3 should be pretty interesting as far as that goes.

No need to be sorry; I'm in the same boat, haha. I don't want you to risk yourself sir! Your insight is appreciated.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The Japanese support died out when it proved largely fruitless last generation. The efforts and finances poured into getting those titles did little to nothing to help the 360 in the long run, and that support dried up really quick. They stopped trying pretty early into a very long generation.

Ah, see, every time I tried that, it kept putting all the text of my link into the message section as well, and I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks.

It's interesting, you know, because Sony's platform is the assumed location for such titles, JRPGs and so on... But the favoritism for western titles by a western audience on the XB1 isn't really as good as it used to be. Sony's dominance returning a la the PS1 and effectively the PS2 eras means that we're seeing gamers of all audiences buying lots of games on the PS4, but that there are just *more* genres being bought in general, due to availability of titles nowhere else anyway. It's kind of a perfect storm, in a way.

True. Last generation though the platform split was staggering in favor of the 360 with pretty much any big western game. But it also helps the 360 had a massive lead here in the US. This generation that certainly is not the case.

2thepoint

We'll see how it goes. This E3 should be pretty interesting as far as that goes.

No need to be sorry; I'm in the same boat, haha. I don't want you to risk yourself sir! Your insight is appreciated.

Abdiel, have you ever gotten a pass to Destination Playstation, since you work in retail, and that event is primarily for retailing staff etc?

Welfare

There's no consistency.

This also pisses me off. Especially the Kingdom Hearts games. You say KH3 is coming to Xbox One. Problem is that only PS converts are going to even anticipate it. Why would you not release KH 1.5/2.5 on 360 so those gamers can actually play the series?

There's no consistency.

Couldn't it be possible that it has something to do with their contract with Sony (since it was originally PS2 only)?

Or maybe they know that they'd likely sell next to nothing so why even bother? Type 0 at least has the advantage of having the XV demo

Well, there's always Scalebound.....and Phantom Dust to look forward to.

I gotta wonder what kind of deals Kamiya signs for his games. I once had the scary thought that Scalebound could be PG's Lair (in terms of sales, not quality - they're pretty much sacrificing all potential Japanese sales), but they seem to have survived the Wonderful 101's sales without much issue. If their contracts ensure they'll make money regardless of how their games perform, I guess they'll be alright.

This also pisses me off. Especially the Kingdom Hearts games. You say KH3 is coming to Xbox One. Problem is that only PS converts are going to even anticipate it. Why would you not release KH 1.5/2.5 on 360 so those gamers can actually play the series?

I know everyone says there is no deal between SE and Sony on these games but I don't buy it.

SE lately has been even porting a bunch of content to PC such as the FFXIII franchise.

It's seems awfully strange none of the PS2 FF titles or KH games have ever been on anything other than Playstation systems. I mean all of the PS1 Final Fantasy games are on Steam.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

There's no consistency.

Cause DVD space on 360 is pitiful. They could easily just put both games on blu ray for PS3, but 360 would have to have some backwards ass vita level of download code thing. Same with KH collections.

With Type 0 they wanted to sell the FF15 demo some how but could not just justify bringing out the demo

FFX for PS4 only is just them realizing that their smaller games don't need to worry about making back money, so they are free to do what they want by going PS exclusive. You can tell their Xbox support for bigger projects like FF15 and KH3 is just a matter of making the money back on bigger projects and not actually trying to give all platforms a fair shake. Its a matter of something they feel they have to do as an obligation in order to fufill a sales quota by maximizing the amount of players

2thepoint

I gotta wonder what kind of deals Kamiya signs for his games. I once had the scary thought that Scalebound could be PG's Lair (in terms of sales, not quality - they're pretty much sacrificing all potential Japanese sales), but they seem to have survived the Wonderful 101's sales without much issue. If their contracts ensure they'll make money regardless of how their games perform, I guess they'll be alright.

Hasn't Xbox One sold around 50K consoles in Japan?

Scalebound just needs a 1:1 uptake and it could sell 50k copies in Japan alone.

Top Bottom