• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Well they might have already been considering a XV demo to attach with Type-0 from early on.

Couldn't it be possible that it has something to do with their contract with Sony (since it was originally PS2 only)?

Or maybe they know that they'd likely sell next to nothing so why even bother? Type 0 at least has the advantage of having the XV demo

True. And it could be their test case, choosing to throw out a single HD rerelease to test the waters before committing to others.

orochi91

Things will be very interesting if the inevitable KH HD ports are PS4 only.

If that happens, then it likely means they will not move ahead with the XB1 version of KH3.

Oh man, by the time KH3 comes out, we're looking at ~30million WW gap between PS4 and XB1 lol

Abdiel/Shogun, not sure if you can mention anything but how is Bloodborne doing? It seems like people are pretty hyped for it but t could just be the echo chamber of GAF that's making it seem that way.
Thanks.

koutoru

Does anybody understand the logic behind SE's choice of platforms?

For example, why did they consider Type-0 HD on XB1 a good idea when they apparently didn't think FFX/X-2, KH1.5, or KH2.5 on 360 were good ideas? The latter seem like a better idea than the former. And why are they bringing FFX/X-2 to ps4 but not XB1?

There's no consistency.
I can only guess that with games like Type - 0 and FFXV, they are trying to appeal to the western market as much as possible, which would mean creating both versions.
With remasters like FFX HD and KH HD I think they are trying to appeal mainly to either the people who originally played those games or to people who are more likely to play those types of games since there's a lot of them on PlayStation.

That still doesn't explain KH III on XB1, but I don't know what's really going on with that.

SparkTR

I gotta wonder what kind of deals Kamiya signs for his games. I once had the scary thought that Scalebound could be PG's Lair (in terms of sales, not quality - they're pretty much sacrificing all potential Japanese sales), but they seem to have survived the Wonderful 101's sales without much issue. If their contracts ensure they'll make money regardless of how their games perform, I guess they'll be alright.

The major issue there is that you need to be constantly finding new contracts to survive, if there's a downturn in interest for whatever reason (sales being poor, major players leaving the market) it's going to lead to trouble. Obsidian was in a similar situation, and it only took one failed contract (with Microsoft backing out) to get them on the verge of bankruptcy.

orochi91

I can only guess that with games like Type - 0 and FFXV, they are trying to appeal to the western market as much as possible, which would mean creating both versions.
With remasters like FFX HD and KH HD I think they are trying to appeal mainly to either the people who originally played those games or to people who are more likely to play those types of games since there's a lot of them on PlayStation.

That still doesn't explain KH III on XB1, but I don't know what's really going on with that.

Like FF15, I imagine these decisions were made before this gen even started.

Everybody assumed XB1 would be much more competitive (even a market leader in NA).

Abdiel

Same for you Abdiel

(salute) Retail associates unite under the GAF banner.

True. Last generation though the platform split was staggering in favor of the 360 with pretty much any big western game. But it also helps the 360 had a massive lead here in the US. This generation that certainly is not the case.

None of the advantages that MS had last gen at all carried across. Honestly, looking forward to Battlefront, to the next Mass Effect, and even at the coming Witcher 3... It's highly doubtful that XB1 will get a lead on *any* of those games. Witcher 3 is leading on PS4 preorders for us.

Abdiel, have you ever gotten a pass to Destination Playstation, since you work in retail, and that event is primarily for retailing staff etc?

No, I haven't. Those invitations are almost always offered to managers/primary supervisors, titles I can't claim, haha. I'm hoping to go to PSX this year.

Yeah Kingdom Hearts is going to be interesting. It has zero presence on Xbox. No Kingdom Hearts game has ever been on the system. I can't expect the sales split on that title being good even remotely. Especially with Sony also leading in the West unlike last generation.

Final Fantasy makes sense at this point. It does have some sort of fan base on the console. It may not be huge but they are there. KH though has never been an Xbox title at any point.

2thepoint

Like FF15, I imagine these decisions were made before this gen even started.

Everybody assumed XB1 would be much more competitive (even a market leader in NA).

Wasn't Final Fantasy XV PS4 exclusive at one point, and supposedly Square ditched the plan last minute (around E3 2013) and announced an Xbox One version?

noobie

Banned
The Japanese support died out when it proved largely fruitless last generation. The efforts and finances poured into getting those titles did little to nothing to help the 360 in the long run, and that support dried up really quick. They stopped trying pretty early into a very long generation.

This is a really long statement that has some accurate statements, but misses a few things, namely: the PS4 is already dominating worldwide. The numbers are generally assumed to have reached 2:1 worldwide, or right around that by now, if not more, regardless of Sony's 1st party output. And even then, I'd rather Sony take their time to let the games cook as long as necessary before release than push them out just to get checkboxes on a list taken care of.

Ah, see, every time I tried that, it kept putting all the text of my link into the message section as well, and I thought I was doing something wrong. Thanks.

It's interesting, you know, because Sony's platform is the assumed location for such titles, JRPGs and so on... But the favoritism for western titles by a western audience on the XB1 isn't really as good as it used to be. Sony's dominance returning a la the PS1 and effectively the PS2 eras means that we're seeing gamers of all audiences buying lots of games on the PS4, but that there are just *more* genres being bought in general, due to availability of titles nowhere else anyway. It's kind of a perfect storm, in a way.

I feel that firstly Sony has a chance to really dominate like PS2 again.

Secondly i agree that the game should be released when ready but a console generation is only 5 - 6 year and if Sony studios are taking more than 4 years for a single release then i feel they need to rethink their strategy or may be better spend their money on securing exclusive because in industry other independent studios are not taking more than 2 years to release a sequel or 3 years to release a brand new game on a new IP

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wasn't Final Fantasy XV PS4 exclusive at one point, and supposedly Square ditched the plan last minute (around E3 2013) and announced an Xbox One version?

Originally there was something in the works with that but things changed after Wada stepped down.

RBK

Banned
Cause DVD space on 360 is pitiful. They could easily just put both games on blu ray for PS3, but 360 would have to have some backwards ass vita level of download code thing. Same with KH collections.
Pretty sure they could just do a 2 disc release.

Don't think SE is that stupid, it's essential if they follow through with a XB1 Kingdom Hearts III release.

I think Verendus said there was a possible deal between Sony and SE that got shelved right before E3, since Sony no longer felt they needed to lock it down as an exclusive.

Makes a lot more sense than SE being convinced by the reception of the XB1's announcement that May to go multiplat.

Toxi

Banned
I gotta wonder what kind of deals Kamiya signs for his games. I once had the scary thought that Scalebound could be PG's Lair (in terms of sales, not quality - they're pretty much sacrificing all potential Japanese sales), but they seem to have survived the Wonderful 101's sales without much issue. If their contracts ensure they'll make money regardless of how their games perform, I guess they'll be alright.
Does sacrificing potential Japanese sales matter for Platinum? Everything they touch bombs there.

hawk2025

okay, then go ahead and track the daily trends evey day for a month and share with us what it says.

And then I'll share with you the full market data and we'll see what we learned.

There's plenty of literature in estimation of demand and elasticities based on limited data like sales rankings.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023/A:1024634613982
http://www.jstor.org/stable/27645744?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

The sufficient condition for estimation is that the data is representative, not that only rankings are available.

I'm not arguing that I can do just as good as job as if I had the complete dataset; Only that the limited data available *is* informative.

Yeah I'm not sure people realize how small Amazons market share is to the big picture.

Also that it is 100% unreliable for software sales. They are barely even a player in that game for week 1 sales. A certain other company does the big lions share of sales at launch.
Same deal here; The relevant information is how representative the sample is relative to the population. The market share, conditional on it being large enough for consistency, is irrelevant.

Zil33184

Well I did get into the FPS genre, but yeah nothing's really changed besides the brand.

So FPS's pushed you onto Xbox but it's not fair if people buy Playstations for JRPGs? C'mon dude.

Sometimes you have to go where the games are instead of feeling entitled to a port that isn't guaranteed. Even up here in Canada you don't see Ouya owners petitioning for Bloodborne to come to our national console.

This day and age I shouldn't even have to buy a specific console to play one genre.

And I'm not burying my head in the sand. This isn't the 90's where the only systems were japanese.

Yet that pesky 'J' in JRPG means the domestic market is the most important one. I mean Microsoft could still negotiate a deal to bring Persona 5 to Xbox in the west but they aren't interested in a niche audience that does little for them in sales. That money is better spent on Call of Duty DLC, Fast and the Furious, and the NFL.

PS don't worry about FF and KH3, there's definitely some kind of deal in place. I remember they even interrupted one of their live streams to remind people that Type-0 was also coming out on Xbox One.

Kasper

I know everyone says there is no deal between SE and Sony on these games but I don't buy it.

SE lately has been even porting a bunch of content to PC such as the FFXIII franchise.

It's seems awfully strange none of the PS2 FF titles or KH games have ever been on anything other than Playstation systems. I mean all of the PS1 Final Fantasy games are on Steam.

Only the two that already had PC versions at launch. FFIX isn't.

Only the two that already had PC versions at launch. FFIX isn't.

Ah fair point there. Forgot about IX.

Still a lot of the work is being done right now for a FFX HD port on PC considering the PS4'S architecture is basically the exact same as a PC at this point.

If FFX doesn't come to PC then I gotta believe there is some sort of contract over the PS2 era SE games.

orochi91

I know everyone says there is no deal between SE and Sony on these games but I don't buy it.

SE lately has been even porting a bunch of content to PC such as the FFXIII franchise.

It's seems awfully strange none of the PS2 FF titles or KH games have ever been on anything other than Playstation systems. I mean all of the PS1 Final Fantasy games are on Steam.

Didn't Sony financially bailout SquareSoft during the time period in which those games were planned/created?

Sony even owned sizable stocks after the SE merger.

I wouldn't be surprised is there's some contracts preventing the PS2 titles from being on anything other than PS consoles.

Kasper

Ah fair point there. Forgot about IX.

Still a lot of the work is being done right now for a FFX HD port on PC considering the PS4'S architecture is basically the exact same as a PC at this point.

If FFX doesn't come to PC then at this point I gotta believe there is some sort of contract over the PS2 era SE games.

I completely agree. Whether it be official or not I don't know, but at this point it seems incredibly odd that the games aren't available on at least PC, seeing as SE loves to port Final Fantasy games over and over again.

hawk2025

I do wonder if the PS2-era FFs have some sort of "life of product" deals in place since way back then.

Although FFXI was everywhere, so it's hard to see why they would sign a contract for FFX, another for FFXII, but not XI?

Welfare

So FPS's pushed you onto Xbox but it's not fair if people buy Playstations for JRPGs? C'mon dude.
Where'd I say it's not fair?
Sometimes you have to go where the games are instead of feeling entitled to a port that isn't guaranteed. Even up here in Canada you don't see Ouya owners petitioning for Bloodborne to come to our national console.
I've already said I'm getting a PS4 eventually.

And Bloodborne is a first party IP. Ouya wasn't going to get it to begin with :p
Yet that pesky 'J' in JRPG means the domestic market is the most important one. I mean Microsoft could still negotiate a deal to bring Persona 5 to Xbox in the west but they aren't interested in a niche audience that does little for them in sales. That money is better spent on Call of Duty DLC, Fast and the Furious, and the NFL.
Yes, this is true, which is why I was saying that being an Xbox fan sucks in that regard. There is little interest in the Japanese market to MS.

Only the two that already had PC versions originally. Still no Nine or Tactics (which you'd think would be fairly easy to make happen since there is an IOS and Android version of).

Yeah I was talking mainline and someone reminded me about IX.

Still find the PS2 era SE games strange how they have never appeared anywhere other than Playstation. The fact is currently FFX HD is the only major SE console game not coming to Xbox One

Kingdom Hearts 3
Type 0
FFXV

All announced or released for Xbox One. And yet no FFX. It's weird.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Didn't they allow the previous FF MMO to have 360/PC cross-play? Or was that just a ploy to court Square into releasing FF13 on Xbox?

The latter.

They had still thought nicely of Japanese support at the time. And FF13 was SUPER HYPE. MS was afraid such an exclusive would make them loose mindshare over such an anticipated game, and so they were super placating at the time to SE in order to do whatever it took to get the game on their platform.

Of course now, they don't care

Zil33184

Where'd I say it's not fair?

It's possible I misinterpreted your "This day and age I shouldn't even have to buy a specific console to play one genre" argument a wee bit, but it does seem like you think it's unfair.

Oh and I still think From Software should do the right thing by us Canadians...I mean considering Dark Souls on PC and the bill of rights and all.

wapplew

There is a silver lining for JRPG support on Xbox one, the PC.
More and more Japanese games release on PC, MS just need to court them into Win10/DX12/Windows store, it should be easy port from Win10 to Xbox one.
Help them port their title into Xbox one like Sony do on Ultra SF4.

Even if they don't port it to Xbox one, as long as PS losing JRPG exclusive to the PC, its still a win for MS.

There is a silver lining for JRPG support on Xbox one, the PC.
More and more Japanese games release on PC, MS just need to court them into Win10/DX12/Windows store, it should be easy port from Win10 to Xbox one.
Help them port their title into Xbox one like Sony do on Ultra SF4.

Even if they don't port it to Xbox one, as long as PS losing JRPG exclusive to the PC, its still a win for MS.

Tell me how that's a win, the game still wont come out for XB1.

Welfare

It's possible I misinterpreted your "This day and age I shouldn't even have to buy a specific console to play one genre" argument a wee bit, but it does seem like you think it's unfair.

Oh and I still think From Software should do the right thing by us Canadians...I mean considering Dark Souls on PC and the bill of rights and all.

I worded that wrong.

Today, I shouldn't have to worry about what platform I'm on to play a genre that is popular on consoles.

Now that I think about it, it does sound like I'm saying "it's not fair", but looking at some poor decisions and MS's lack of care, I can see it as fair.

But I shouldn't have to worry in the first place :)

TomShoe

Banned
Weaken the value of PS4? Now people no need to buy a PS4 to play JRPG, is a huge win for them.

Is PC really a direct competitor to consoles anymore? Judging by the way both Sony and MS have been acting towards the platform, we might be going in that direction.

SparkTR

Weaken the value of PS4? Now people no need to buy a PS4 to play JRPG, is a huge win for them.

It doesn't strengthen the value of the XBO either, the PS4 still comes out ahead. Also the selling power of Japanese games has diminished a lot since last generation, I doubt they care.

Xenus

Yeah I was talking mainline and someone reminded me about IX.

Still find the PS2 era SE games strange how they have never appeared anywhere other than Playstation. The fact is currently FFX HD is the only major SE console game not coming to Xbox One

Kingdom Hearts 3
Type 0
FFXV

All announced or released for Xbox One. And yet no FFX. It's weird.

It's not really. They haven't announced any japanese releases for the Xbox since FFXV and KHII except Type-0 and the caviot there is it came with the FFXV demo so that seems the most obvious reason to release it. I honestly think they are waiting on Type-0 and FFXV numbers and then deciding whether it's worth it to keep supporting the Xbox.

allan-bh

I can see KH III being canceled on Xbox One if Final Fantasy XV sell badly. The platform sells enough to be attractive for western games, but with some japanese titles the situation is another.

I can see KH III being canceled on Xbox One if Final Fantasy XV sell badly. The platform sells enough to be attractive for western games, but with some japanese titles the situation is another.

I can't. Judging by the architecture it could be an easier port than PS3->360 which could turn a profit.

It's my opinion however and I can't see SE turning down a chance at profits.

Top Bottom