• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2009

Dragona Akehi said:
Which means that Punchout is >70k this month!

Maybe... but not necessarily. Maybe Conduit came in at 61k, at #21 on the chart. And everything else came in at similar numbers... maybe 62k here, a couple 65ks, etc.

Or did we get some other number that we can be sure of on the chart?

markatisu

farnham said:
so about 220k... thats is not all that bad

Where do you get 220k, last month was under 80k and this would be the 2nd month so it would be at most around ~140-150k

SEGA never specifically said what the breakdown was, just they sold about half their 300k shipment since launch

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Sipowicz said:
here's a question

with all the awesome psp games coming out, what's it going to take to increase psp sales in the usa
You may find the answer in your question.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dragona Akehi said:
Which means that Punchout is >70k this month!

unless Conduit sold 60k. in which case, the game in 20th place (NCAA 2010) sold no less than 61k but no more than 75k. and everything else is pretty much 61k-95k.

so this is what we have:

1) Wii SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII) 508.2K
2) NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (360) 376.5K
3) NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (PS3) 237.4K
4) WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD* (WII) 164.3K
5) MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (WII) 156.6K
6) MARIO KART DS (NDS) 132.2K
7) POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION (NDS) 116.4K
8) FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (360) 116.4K
9) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (NDS) 101.8K
10) EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (WII) 96.8K
11) Wii Play w/ Remote (WII) 61k-95k
12) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (WII) 61k-95k
13) Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) 61k-95k
14) UFC 2009: Undisputed (360) 61k-95k
15) Punch-Out!! (WII) 61k-95k
16) Transformers: Revenge Autobots (NDS) 61k-95k
17) Prototype (360) 61k-95k
18) Major League Baseball 2K9 (360) 61k-95k
19) The Legendary Starfy (NDS) 61k-95k
20) NCAA Football 10 (PS2) 61k-75k

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:
Where do you get 220k, last month was under 80k and this would be the 2nd month so it would be at most around ~140-150k

SEGA never specifically said what the breakdown was, just they sold about half their 300k shipment since launch
ah okay.. sorry i thought sega said they sold 150k in the first week..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
How do we "know" that The Conduit did 60k-70k, other than extrapolating an off-the-cuff and not-NPD backed and possibly all-of-North-America "It sold around <x> total" remark from Sega?

Edit: actually, the last page suggests that even that number wouldn't mean 60-70k sales this month. What are people basing this on?

markatisu

Stumpokapow said:
How do we "know" that The Conduit did 60k-70k, other than extrapolating an off-the-cuff and not-NPD backed and possibly all-of-North-America "It sold around <x> total" remark from Sega?

Ani said so, but then again he could be mindfucking people

We can probably determine if it did anything decent if someone releases the Top 10 by platform list since we know what 1-7 on the Wii side are

Looking back through this thread, how come Anihawk first said Little King's Story is "just under 6k" and then later he said it was "under 12k"? Did he get the numbers wrong the first time? Or is he just saying "under 12k" to make it seem like less of a bomba (while still being accurate since "just under 6k" is still "under 12k")

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
nincompoop said:
Looking back through this thread, how come Anihawk first said Little King's Story is "just under 6k" and then later he said it was "under 12k"? Did he get the numbers wrong the first time? Or is he just saying "under 12k" to make it seem like less of a bomba (while still being accurate since "just under 6k" is still "under 12k")

Or one or more of the posts was a joke or one or more of the posts was a lie. No one will ever know.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Stumpokapow said:

Edit: actually, the last page suggests that even that number wouldn't mean 60-70k sales this month. What are people basing this on?

Anihawk said Conduit sold 60-70k, which matches up with a Sega exec saying they had sold half of their 300k shipment (150k=last month's 72k plus this month's 60k to 70k).

And if Conduit isn't in the top 20, that means everything IN the top 20 sold at least better than 60k.

nincompoop said:

I don't know why he said <6k the first time. The <12k comes from creamsugar, though (outside this forum). It seemed Ani parroted the number shortly after creamsugar said it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
jvm said:
Top 20 posted yet?

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=24851

top-20-july-2009.png

LOVE seeing Tiger Woods 10 Wii, Punch-Out!!, and Starfy up there.

laserbeam

Banned
Conduit selling 60-70K again would be a pretty amazing number you gotta admit. It would basically be selling on par with its first NPD.

timetokill said:
Maybe... but not necessarily. Maybe Conduit came in at 61k, at #21 on the chart. And everything else came in at similar numbers... maybe 62k here, a couple 65ks, etc.

Or did we get some other number that we can be sure of on the chart?

Danthrax said:
unless Conduit sold 60k. in which case, the game in 20th place (NCAA 2010) sold no less than 61k but no more than 75k. and everything else is pretty much 61k-95k.

so this is what we have:

1) Wii SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII) 508.2K
2) NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (360) 376.5K
3) NCAA FOOTBALL 10 (PS3) 237.4K
4) WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD* (WII) 164.3K
5) MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (WII) 156.6K
6) MARIO KART DS (NDS) 132.2K
7) POKEMON PLATINUM VERSION (NDS) 116.4K
8) FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 4 (360) 116.4K
9) NEW SUPER MARIO BROS (NDS) 101.8K
10) EA SPORTS ACTIVE BUNDLE (WII) 96.8K
11) Wii Play w/ Remote (WII) 61k-95k
12) Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 (WII) 61k-95k
13) Fight Night Round 4 (PS3) 61k-95k
14) UFC 2009: Undisputed (360) 61k-95k
15) Punch-Out!! (WII) 61k-95k
16) Transformers: Revenge Autobots (NDS) 61k-95k
17) Prototype (360) 61k-95k
18) Major League Baseball 2K9 (360) 61k-95k
19) The Legendary Starfy (NDS) 61k-95k
20) NCAA Football 10 (PS2) 61k-75k

Well EXCUUUUUUUUSEEE ME Princesses, for attempting to be optimistic for once! :p

meme

Banned
laserbeam said:
Conduit selling 60-70K again would be a pretty amazing number you gotta admit. It would basically be selling on par with its first NPD.

And it goes right against the fact that "Core" Wii games are essencialy front loaded. Awesome :D

CTLance

Stumpokapow said:
Or one or more of the posts was a joke or one or more of the posts was a lie. No one will ever know.
This is sales-age. I am standing by with a vat of tar and ample supply of feathers.

Just point me at the violator of the holy sales-age rules, namely "Thou shalt not invent bullshit numbers".

:mad:

As Arphamnd B has correctly pointed out, the next exciting thing to watch is the trending of 360 vs Wii.

My guess is that relative sales of the Wii will continue to trend down, though overall the sales of the Wii will go back up due to season effects. The more accurate chart to use to take out season affects would be a monthly marketshare percentage chart.

Absolutely I think 360 will outsell the Wii in September with the Elite price-drop, and will continue to outsell it for the remainder of the year. In fact, I could be so bold and say that outside of NSMBWii totally changing the game (which I doubt) this could be one of the last month's the Wii outsells the 360 in the US.

There's not a single game on the Wii's short-term horizon that will change its fortunes. People keep pointing out NSMBWii, and considering Nintendo's track record you have to respect the chance it has, but it's not a foregone conclusion that NSMBWii will turn around the momentum.

Going into next year, unless the Wii Vitality sensor is a game-changer on the order of Wii Fit (again, Nintendo's track record shows it's a possibility), then I can see MS having an incredibly strong 2010 with a massive lineup of games, carrying the momentum with a big PR-campaign throughout the year hyping up Natal.

I don't think this is a "wait for" type post either. As another poster here pointed out, MS' sales have been trending UPWARDS as their value proposition is continually getting better and better.

Unless Nintendo does something unexpected (or launches a more connected WiiHD), I don't see how they're going to maintain their lead, and then be able to even keep up. And the PS3 is starting to hit the point of irrelevance. People are calling this NPD boring, but I think it's one of the most interesting in a long time.

The next 12 months are going to be VERY interesting.

Mrbob

Are hardware sales even that exciting anymore? The western publisher and development community have spoken already. The hierchy is set in the west for this entire generation:

1) Xbox 360
2) Playstation 3
3) Wii

There won't be a huge change in status quo. The only thing which will happen (currently occurring) is PS3 game development finally geting close to being in parity with 360 game development.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Danthrax said:
Anihawk said Conduit sold 60-70k, which matches up with a Sega exec saying they had sold half of their 300k shipment (150k=last month's 72k plus this month's 60k to 70k).

And if Conduit isn't in the top 20, that means everything IN the top 20 sold at least better than 60k.

I'm not really sure why you're going off AniHawk, who was almost certainly either pulling the thread's leg or lying, and I'm not really sure if the Sega quote in question is referring to the US, North America, Worldwide, and I'm not sure if "sold through half of those" refers to a date schedule that aligns with NPD months and I'm not sure "half of those" refers to exactly half or a broader range from, say, 120k-180k.

... so I really think you're going out on a limb.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dragona Akehi said:
Well EXCUUUUUUUUSEEE ME Princesses, for attempting to be optimistic for once! :p

I'm just, ya know, sayin'. I mean it's possible Starfy sold better than 70k, sure, but with Sales-Age you gotta cover your bases. =P

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Stumpokapow said:
I'm not really sure why you're going off AniHawk, who was almost certainly either pulling the thread's leg or lying, and I'm not really sure if the Sega quote in question is referring to the US, North America, Worldwide, and I'm not sure if "sold through half of those" refers to a date schedule that aligns with NPD months and I'm not sure "half of those" refers to exactly half or a broader range from, say, 120k-180k.

... so I really think you're going out on a limb.

yeah none of us are sure what region he was referring to, especially since he's the COO of Sega of Europe. we're going off of Anihawk because he's given a number here or there in the past.

"going out on a limb" is really all we can do. =\

[edit] ah hell, I meant to edit this into my previous post.

markatisu

I would imagine we could get at least the PS2 number for NCAA 10, I mean NPD went so far as to tell us the grand total.

That would at least put to rest what the range of the Top 20 is, though we can get its somewhere around 55-70k as I do not see the PSP version selling anything amazing

Omar Ismail said:
this could be one of the last month's the Wii outsells the 360 in the US.

Uh huh. Keeping the dream alive, I guess. We'll see I guess, but that's not likely. As I stated before, Nintendo holds all the cards. They haven't used any of them yet. Price drop, new SKU, new color, redesign on the likes of a slim/lite model.

Microsoft has done many of those, several times. Nintendo can, at any time, twist the knife and pull ahead again forever in this generation.

markatisu

SlipperySlope said:
Uh huh. Keeping the dream alive, I guess. We'll see I guess, but that's not likely. As I stated before, Nintendo holds all the cards. They haven't used any of them yet. Price drop, new SKU, new color, redesign on the likes of a slim/lite model.

Microsoft has done many of those, several times. Nintendo can, at any time, twist the knife and pull ahead again forever in this generation.

The only two times I could see that happening are Sept-Nov when the next Halo and CoD games are released. They tend to be decent system sellers.

But I think the Wii will have no problem in December based solely on Christmas and NSMB Wii

scitek

Danthrax said:
yeah none of us are sure what region he was referring to, especially since he's the COO of Sega of Europe. we're going off of Anihawk because he's given a number here or there in the past.

"going out on a limb" is really all we can do. =\

[edit] ah hell, I meant to edit this into my previous post.

He was promoted to head of US AND Europe.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Omar Ismail said:
Absolutely I think 360 will outsell the Wii in September with the Elite price-drop, and will continue to outsell it for the remainder of the year.
Predictions can be funny. I'll give you mine: Wii is going to outsell the 360 by 3:1 in Q4.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
scitek said:
He was promoted to head of US AND Europe.

when did that happen? (the only thing I could find on him yesterday in a cursory Google search was that he was just COO of Europe)

farnham

Banned
markatisu said:
The only two times I could see that happening are Sept-Nov when the next Halo and CoD games are released. They tend to be decent system sellers.

But I think the Wii will have no problem in December based solely on Christmas and NSMB Wii
i think anyone wanting to play Halo or CoD on the 360 already purchased one at this point..

Vinci

Danish
timetokill said:
Omar/Marc ban-bet time??

I'm not ban-betting, but I'm with marc on this one. Q4 is Nintendo's for the rest of this generation and especially this year. That said, I wouldn't be utterly shocked if MS and Nintendo cross the streams once in the next month or so.

SlipperySlope said:

Outside of portables, since when has "new colors" ever been an impetus for boosting sales?
Furthermore, the Wii is already ridiculously slim and lite, not sure what they can do with that.

The biggest one is obviously price drop. My theory on that is thus: The Wii is a love it or hate it console, very polarizing. Meaning, the people that like it REALLY like it, and the people that don't like it, really don't like it. What this implies is that there is less price sensitivity for the Wii, unlike the PS2, PS3 or 360 which are more traditional consoles with a lot of fence sitters. Anybody that is attracted to the Wii, would have already been attracted and a $50 premium wouldn't keep a large number away. Sure you'll get a nice bump in the month the drop happens, but I don't think you'll see a sustained increase... which is actually somewhat rare in general.

Road

Shame we don't get weekly numbers from NPD. It would be funny to see the 360 outselling the Wii in some weeks (I don't doubt it already happened in July, given the proximity). With a full month it'll be harder for it to happen.

Top Bottom