• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

kswiston

The validity of the PSV's "attach rate" with regard to comparisons in NPD sales threads is questionable.

If one included PSN/XBL downloadable titles and minis and classics and whatnot, the PS3 and Xbox 360 would presumably be much higher than their 8-9 retail titles a piece.

I'd hazard a guess that Vita's digital to retail ratio for full games is better than the PS3/360s, We saw a 20-35% digital share on some 3DS titles in the past year or so, and Vita's install base is even more "core gamer" due to its tiny size and emphasis on indie titles. No way to prove anything without concrete numbers though.

To be honest, people saying the Xbox One is in trouble are a bit loopy. It may not be on par with PS4 but it's certainly one of the fastest selling consoles ever. If I were to tell someone last year during the DRM debacle that the Xbox would be selling like it is, they'd say it's a success. It just doesn't look as good by comparison.

McDougles

The One and Done™;108852261 said:
To be honest, people saying the Xbox One is in trouble are a bit loopy. It may not be on par with PS4 but it's certainly one of the fastest selling consoles ever. If I were to tell someone last year during the DRM debacle that the Xbox would be selling like it is, they'd say it's a success. It just doesn't look as good by comparison.

I thought you were already one and done here!

I have owned a Vita since launch. I agree it's a fairly well-designed system that is out of sync with the market at large. I just don't really understand why so many people have become emotionally involved with it. Hell, I don't understand that with any system, but this new crop seems weirder than ever.

DaBoss

I believe that if sales don't improve by Christmas this year in North America, Sony is going all digital on the software. They'll still sell the actual hardware in brick and mortar, but it's probably not financially viable to keep buying shelf space for Vita games.
I think retailers would just drop the Vita at that point. There is no way that is happening.

impact

Banned
I think retailers would just drop the Vita at that point. There is no way that is happening.

Then they'll just sell the hardware digitally.

You wouldn't download a Vita.

It will be hellattractive when Nintendo's next handheld comes out, costs more, and is still behind in specs.

No, because Nintendo's next handheld will still have games that people want while Vita is getting scraps from PS4 and PC.

t26

Might as well make it a Gamestop exclusive. Most of Vita's upcoming games are JRPGs that are never going to be carry by B&M stores like Walmart or Target in the first place.

Mory Dunz

I have owned a Vita since launch. I agree it's a fairly well-designed system that is out of sync with the market at large. I just don't really understand why so many people have become emotionally involved with it. Hell, I don't understand that with any system, but this new crop seems weirder than ever.

It will be hellattractive when Nintendo's next handheld comes out, costs more, and is still behind in specs.

Lol.

kswiston

Vita is this generation's Dreamcast. In 5 years, a vocal minority on GAF will crown it the greatest handheld of all time.

Albo

May 30th and May 31st will be tracked in May NPD. The rest will be tracked in June NPD.

300K - 350K is NOT going to happen for either month.

Since:
Holiday season + 3D Mario = 223K

A much more likely scenario is:
Slow month + Mario Kart = 150K

And that's assuming Mario Kart still has significant star power and draws in a lot of new customers outside the existing Wii U base who decide to couple their Mario Kart purchase with a Wii U purchase.

Wii Fit U / Wii Sports Club / Wii Party U / Mario & Sonic / Donkey Kong failed at shaking up the status quo, so I have my doubts about Mario Kart.

Those would be some pretty underwhelming numbers, at least far from the turnaround some people were expecting. I imagine some will be waiting for the holiday 2014 to buy along with smash+other software, maybe another price cut too so after the may-june spike, we'll see just over usual numbers (depending on other releases) until holidays which would be troubling. If none of the current software have failed to provide long term momentum, I doubt MK8 or Smash will either.

At what point will the hardware become profitable for them before they even think about another price cut?

At least they have Holiday 2014 but it will pretty much be the last important chance the system has of pulling in some significant numbers.

Mory Dunz

Vita is this generation's Dreamcast. In 5 years, a vocal minority on GAF will crown in the greatest handheld of all time.

Already happening.

I mean, I have a Wii U and enjoy it, but I know that's kind of a piece of junk, all thnigs considered. Mistakes were made by Nintendo...

Vita is this generation's Dreamcast. In 5 years, a vocal minority on GAF will crown in the greatest handheld of all time.

Already happening.

HTWbj1L.gif

On Demand

Banned
Do we have a breakdown of where in the top ten individual software was placed for PS4 and XB1 and last gen?

Reading this i'm kinda confused-

Xbox One held four top titles in the generation eight top 10 console game title list in the U.S. including: “Plans vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes,” “ Titanfall.”

Xbox 360 held six top titles in the generation seven top 10 console game title list in the U.S. include: “Minecraft,” “Dark Souls II,” “The Lego Movie Video Game,” “Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare,” “Call of Duty: Ghosts,” “South Park: The Stick of Truth.”

Most of those sold better on PS consoles judging by the order of the consoles listed in the top ten chart in the OP. so where do they fit in? Then you have ISS and FFX HD.

The combined SKU is the worst idea ever.

On Demand

Banned
You'd rather have This November's NPD top 10 be 3-4 SKUs for Call of Duty, 2-3 SKUs for Assassin's Creed, etc?

I rather have an accurate representation of the best selling software in the top ten for each platform. If it's filled with COD's and AC's.......oh well.

kswiston

I rather have an accurate representation of the best selling software in the top ten for each platform. If it's filled with COD's and AC's.......oh well.

If we are just going to get an all format top 10, I don't see how separate SKUs helps anything. We will see fewer individual games chart in the most important months. Who cares if some Nintendo or Sony exclusive would gain a spot or two in July when overall sales are crap, and 200-300k is enough to take first place.

If we are just going to get an all format top 10, I don't see how separate SKUs helps anything. We will see fewer games chart in the most important months. Who cares if some Nintendo or Sony exclusive would gain a spot or two in July when overall sales are crap, and 200-300k is enough to take first place.

What we really should get is both.

Unlike GfK that gives us Top 40 weekly for some countries, NPD is ridiculously stingy with rankings and it's really annoying.

Tigress

Vita is this generation's Dreamcast. In 5 years, a vocal minority on GAF will crown it the greatest handheld of all time.

But it is the greatest handheld of all time :p (and I'm only joking a little bit). At least that is my own opinion. Vita pretty much is exactly what I wanted out of a handheld my whole life (not some seriously gimped console that plays seriously gimped games but doesn't compromise too much for mobile handheld gaming. I mean I realize it will have to compromise some but Vita pretty much to me has the perfect balance of compromise there. Sadly, I think my main thing is I love the dual thumbsticks that are actually real thumbsticks rather than a sliding button. And I have to admit I do actually like the touch screen and when games use it to supplement the game (like having some gestures or even just to use some of the menu items. It feels better than using the direction pad buttons for menu items). THe only thing I really say could be left off is that back touchpad.

And I'm finding there are plenty of fun games on it. I even enjoy indies best on it (I'm not a huge indie fan honestly, I'm one of those that usually want more AAA type games except for on my computer and on my Vita. My consoles I definitely prefer AAA games). And while it doesn't have many and probably won't get more (or maybe a rare one or two if I'm lucky), it does have some console quality games (though I do include JRPGs in this like Persona 4 Golden or Ys. Memories of Celcetta).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
But it is the greatest handheld of all time :p (and I'm only joking a little bit). At least that is my own opinion. Vita pretty much is exactly what I wanted out of a handheld my whole life (not some seriously gimped console that plays seriously gimped games but doesn't compromise too much for mobile handheld gaming. I mean I realize it will have to compromise some but Vita pretty much to me has the perfect balance of compromise there. Sadly, I think my main thing is I love the dual thumbsticks that are actually real thumbsticks rather than a sliding button. And I have to admit I do actually like the touch screen and when games use it to supplement the game (like having some gestures or even just to use some of the menu items. It feels better than using the direction pad buttons for menu items). THe only thing I really say could be left off is that back touchpad.

And I'm finding there are plenty of fun games on it. I even enjoy indies best on it (I'm not a huge indie fan honestly, I'm one of those that usually want more AAA type games except for on my computer and on my Vita. My consoles I definitely prefer AAA games).

It's a quality-made handheld but it's game library will never come close to the variety and quality of the DS. It's full of niche titles and indies, which are fine for what they are but it got almost no AAA support from Sony. Disappointing to say the least.

I have to agree with Alberto--the obsession for it by a subsection of GAF is borderline bizarre.

I suppose it all depends on if the June NPD takes the MK8 May 30th release sales as part of it's June data. Whether there is a bundle, what price it is and how well they advertise it are all massive factors aswell but if the console sells 70 000 with no releases then I don't think 300 - 350 000 units with MK8 is out of the question.
XBO barely broke 300k with TitanFall. No chance over my big fat uncle Wii U's getting anywhere near that w/ MK8

Wouldn't it make more sense for it to be this gen's PSP? Though Wii U was gonna be the Dreamcast this gen.*

*(from a sales point)

350K is maybe a bit much but like I said, WiiU sold 70 000 units with zero major releases. If there is a MK8 bundle for $299 and they heavily advertise it I see no reason why hardware sales won't massively spike.

Ow I didn't know that, I think 120K for May NPD and 180K for June NPD then.

I don't think you know how much hardware usually dips from March to May/June....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok so what should Sony do? Abandoning the system sends a bad signal and weakens their brand. Stopping support on the system would do the same. Is 120,000 new customers per year in just this territory buying games on possibly the highest attach-rate game system out there something that helps or hurts their bottom line?

Should they just give up right before PSNow makes its debut on the redesigned platform?

Sony is getting more and more people into their ecosystem that weren't on PS+ last gen. Even if a tiny fraction sees the benefit in a portable device that can do remote play, can carry on their save-games on indie titles across both systems, has its own set of free games per month on PS+, essentially is a PSP/PS1 for many digital titles, and can do PSNow gaming with an actual good controller compared to how PSNow will be on an ipad, it's something to continue to support.

Yeah maybe brick-and-mortar stores will stop carrying retail games and the system will never reach mainstream success. But it will still be a valued money maker for Sony. Otherwise they wouldn't have even bothered with this flood of announcements of other Japanese games being localized for the system.

10k sales a month of hardware in a single territory puts a lot of frowns on people's faces, but it doesn't mean the product isn't a money maker overall for Sony. Or that it doesn't still hold value as an attractive-yet-mostly-overlooked stepchild of the rest of the Playstation family.

I love mine and as much as I'd like to see it be a bigger success, and as sad as it is that it's not, I am not writing an epitaph for its tombstone just yet. And Sony doesn't seem to be either.

They might as well keep it going, even if it isn't selling as a standalone games machine. It has a couple of things going for it.

- a nice second device story for PS4 with remote play
- vita TV as an alternative in-house remoteplay machine, 'me too' streamer box
- basis for playstation now via vita TV and maybe cheap enough to build into bravias?

Tigress

It's a quality-made handheld but it's game library will never come close to the variety and quality of the DS. It's full of niche titles and indies, which are fine for what they are but it got almost no AAA support from Sony. Disappointing to say the least.

I have to agree with Alberto--the obsession for it by a subsection of GAF is borderline bizarre.

Well, from my own opinion, I'm finding despite it not reaching the potential I originally bought it for, it's the handheld I have enjoyed far more than any other I've owned (granted I haven't had a DS or 3DS but I haven't seen games other than Fire Emblem or Pokemon which I can play on my gameboy color that have me interested). Right now I'm enjoying it a lot more than my consoles even (not counting really old/outdated ones, PS3, xbox 360, PS4). And that's with it's limited library. No, it may not have as much selection, but it does get some really fun games and they are fun to play on it. And I love the controls and feel of it (and yes, that is important in a handheld). I've tried playing on a 3DS, the feel just wasn't the same to me.

I'm sad it won't reach the potential it originally was designed for, but I'm finding that even so I'm really enjoying it and even if a lot of it is ports, I find many times I'd prefer to play the port on my Vita (especially when it comes to indie games. Vita just has the right feel for them imho. Minecraft I am only interested in for example if it ever gets to Vita. Just seems more the proper format for it to me). So yeah, limited library but still a great handheld even hampered by that. And it's not like you can't find plenty of good games for it and some variety (aside from open world western RPGs, the one thing I really would have loved to see on it). Maybe sometimes it's only a game or two, but you can still find a variety and usually something good (For example FPS, we only have two games but Killzone is awesome on it, I prefer the Killzone on Vita to the one on PS4. I'm loving it and I'm not even a big FPS fan).

So really, it may not have as many games or "quality" (though I find it has quality enough), it has enough that I'm getting a backlog on it and I really enjoy playing the games on it, the feel is great (and honestly for handheld gaming, that really is important and a good part of enjoying the game). And i feel I get plenty of variety on it, I have a platformer I love, an FPS I love, two RPGs I love, several fun indie games, a game I don't know how to classify, and that's not counting the games on my backlog I haven't tried yet or the PSP games as well (so excited to play those Silent Hill games and I love Monster Hunter Freedom Unite). Oh, and the PSX games (something i've dreamed of since the PSX, a handheld that can play full PSX games and especially FFVII ;) ).

SmokyDave

It's a handheld with a great screen and two analogue sticks. Personally, that's my dream gaming device.

I'd like to check out an Nvidia Shield at some point, but it doesn't quite match the Vita on value for money, and the library ain't as hot either.

I've owned every mainstream handheld since the original Gameboy (and some crazy niche handhelds too), as far as I'm concerned nothing compares to the Vita.

prag16

Banned
I don't think you know how much hardware usually dips from March to May/June....
You think 300k combined consoles sold May/June with Kart launching is completely batshit crazy?

Might be higher than I'd really expect but it doesn't sound completely impossible.

Rolf NB

A Nintendo handheld with a little bit more power than Vita, dual analogs (this is a must) and no 3D gimmick sounds pretty ace.
That's the thing though. Nintendo seems so exceedingly conservative in their hardware choices, ever since the Wii/DS "proved" to them this was a good idea, that I expect whatever comes next to still fall short of the Vita.

They also don't seem to have a good grip on production efficiencies anymore. Crying over hardware losses when they dropped the 3DS price to 169 was eyebrow raising in that regard. Wii U pricing also supports this, assuming they're pricing it as closely to cost as they can, to help adoption rate.

They also still use GPU IP with quite nebulous upgrade paths, which can be an extra cost factor if they continue their trend to be backwards-compatible at least one generation back.

kswiston

The world has changed a lot since the DS days thanks to the proliferation of cellphone tech. Assuming the 3DS successor is a 2016 machine, Nintendo can go with relatively weak 2016 hardware that is still a good deal stronger than Vita's 2012 hardware. There is also zero need to go with such a low res screen next time given how cheap larger screens are.

Bold One

Congratulations GAF for the most successful NPD thread ever (the old threads pre-2006 were deleted).

Top 10 NPD threads by amount of posts:

1) March 2014 - 5,817+ posts, 650,266+ views
2) November 2013 - 5,358 posts, 608,041 views
3) January 2013 - 4,596 posts, 365,832 views
4) January 2014 - 3,836 posts, 449,668 views
5) November 2010 - 3,563 posts, 231,820 views
6) April 2008 - 3,517 posts, 263,626 views
7) November 2008 - 3,450 posts, 327,404 views
8) December 2013 - 3,432 posts, 403,398 views
9) October 2008 - 3,262 posts, 225,027 views
10) February 2014 - 3,201 posts, 344,717 views

How are you compiling this?

Bold One

I always want to know this too.
Massive spreadsheet for everything related to gaming and GAF(I hope not)?
All those decade old numbers for any consoles sales...boom, Aqua posted it within 5mins for that situation.

it goes back all the way to 2008, there a 12 NPD threads a year!

Jomjom

Banned
It's a handheld with a great screen and two analogue sticks. Personally, that's my dream gaming device.

I'd like to check out an Nvidia Shield at some point, but it doesn't quite match the Vita on value for money, and the library ain't as hot either.

I've owned every mainstream handheld since the original Gameboy (and some crazy niche handhelds too), as far as I'm concerned nothing compares to the Vita.

Feel the same way. Hardware wise, its amazing. I sometimes wonder what it would have been in a bizarro world where the west loved handhelds and Sony and 3rd parties supported it like they do with the PS home consoles.

Just the fact that it can display and play my ps4 games blows my mind everytime i use remote play.

EGOMON

I still don't understand why some people can't accept the fact that there are some people like us who love their Vita, its design and games.

Man

The Vita is the 'PS4 of handhelds' at least when it concerns hardware and OS. Specs blew everyone away when announced. Same person designing both so no wonder. SDK is apparently amazing and hardware is streamlined. Dual sticks and a singular HD capacitive touch screen are big wins.

It's biggest 'native' flaws as I see it is the expensive proprietary memory card and the 'App' structure of the OS functionality (which thankfully the PS4 avoided and unfortunately the Xbone didn't).

Kysen

Sony completely misread the market when coming up with Vita. If they had looked at the sales of the PSP outside of Japan for the last few years they could have easily seen that it was pretty much dead already. Now they are stuck in this weird position of having to keep it alive when it only sells well in one territory. Basically hogging manufacturing resources. Even so I own 2 Vitas and can look forward to the constant stream of JP releases.

Nintendo made the same mistake with the WiiU, Wii has been dead for ages now why release another.

Man

I think it was a hard call to make (in stating that market dead) so they probably just wanted to make one last bet with the Vita. It didn't turn out and I don't think Sony will re-enter it ever again (especially not with their mobile phone division reaping huge success, PS.Mobile and PS.Now existing etc).

May 30th and May 31st will be tracked in May NPD. The rest will be tracked in June NPD.

300K - 350K is NOT going to happen for either month.

I didn't know MK8's launch sales would be split over two months NPD results so no 300 - 350K isn't going to happen. 300K between both months is entirely possible though in my humble opinion esp as the console just sold 70 000 units without a single exclusive game being released for it last month.

Holiday season + 3D Mario = 223K

A much more likely scenario is:
Slow month + Mario Kart = 150K

I don't agree at all. Mario 3D World drove almost 700 000 hardware sales in North America alone last Holiday season (November + December). It was a phenomenal success given the low WiiU install base and it's ability to push overpriced, weak hardware with little advertising against the massive PS4/XBone launches. December 2013 was the biggest selling NPD month ever for WiiU hardware and that was mainly down to 3D World.

If 3D World moved almost 700 000 consoles around the Holiday season then I don't think it's dreaming to suggest MK8 will push 300 000 consoles over two months, esp if there is a MK8 bundle available at $299 (something 3D World never had).

XBO barely broke 300k with TitanFall. No chance over my big fat uncle Wii U's getting anywhere near that w/ MK8

XBone is $500 bundled with a completely new IP with a further $300 over the lifespan of the console just to be able to play it. WiiU will be $299 with an established 20+ year old IP (which last entry sold over 35 million units) and the console doesn't require a fee to play online. I know which console I would go for if I was buying a console for a younger gamer, for a family or as someone looking for a second system with well known, quality exclusive games.

As I said above though, I didn't know MK8's sales would be split across two NPD's so the 300K is far more likely to be split across May and June's NPD's.

If MK8 pushes 300K consoles between launch and the end of June then it will be a massive, massive success for such a failure of a product.

I think conceivably, maybe MK8 could push that many consoles in November. But May/June? Super fucking unlikely.

We shall see but I personally think MK8's drawing power is far, far greater than people are expecting just because a few of the big selling Wii games didn't spark large WiiU hardware sales in 2013.

After Wii Sports, MK Wii was probably the most played Wii game. People remember the good times they had with it with friends, family, online and will want more of them esp as it's such a massive graphical improvement over it's predecessor which will help it garner attention unlike NSMB U, DKC Tropical Freeze and Wii Fit / Wii Party U.

The bundle is a massive factor aswell, if there isn't a $299 MK8 bundle I don't think it would sell nearly as well as 300K over two months.

prag16

Banned
I think conceivably, maybe MK8 could push that many consoles in November. But May/June? Super fucking unlikely.

SM3DW helped push over 700k between November/December. You're not saying that if it was Kart instead of SM3DW in November, they wouldn't have accomplished that, are you?

Mario Kart is likely a bigger franchise. 300k between May/June isn't ludicrous. If somebody held a gun to my head, I'm not sure I'd quite feel comfortable predicting that, but "super fucking unlikely" is a bit of an exaggeration in my opinion.

As of now I'm not gonna predict this either, but I wouldn't even be completely shocked if Wii U beats xbone in one or both of May/June.

That's what's fun about this stuff, you can rarely be 100% sure!

Dragon

Banned
The Vita is the 'PS4 of handhelds' at least when it concerns hardware and OS. Specs blew everyone away when announced. Same person designing both so no wonder. SDK is apparently amazing and hardware is streamlined. Dual sticks and a singular HD capacitive touch screen are big wins.

It's biggest 'native' flaws as I see it is the expensive proprietary memory card and the 'App' structure of the OS functionality (which thankfully the PS4 avoided and unfortunately the Xbone didn't).

When you're dealing with the little amount of RAM the Vita has (doesn't it have only 512 mb?), having things load separately in memory like that seems to be the way to go. Not sure why the XB1 had go to that route however.

Seik

Banned
I still don't understand why some people can't accept the fact that there are some people like us who love their Vita, its design and games.

True that, I'm lttp on Gravity Rush, maaaan I missed out on something all this time.

I'm playing this since yesterday and I'm amazed at the gameplay mechanics.

Now I feel all ''Have you seen Gravity Rush?'' about the Vita, truly a masterpiece.

Top Bottom