• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD]

If MS had listened, they would have changed the policies before they even announced it, we would never have known if the rumors were true. They had plenty of feedback saying gamers didn't like it, they decided to force it on us anyways (don't try to tell me they didn't. Gamers were bitching about it and rumors were going around strong. A guy got fired for getting gamers all fired up about it and that wasn't the first of the rumors or people complaining, he was reacting to people complaining).

MS was forced because they saw the numbers and saw they were going to fail if they didn't reverse course. That's not listening. Not reversing at that point would have just been incredibly stupid and asking for failure.

Listening would have been hearing people say they didn't like it and deciding not to try to see if people would buy it anyways (MS did the latter, trying to see if people would buy anyways. That's not listening).

So you don't advocate speaking with your wallet?

Biker19

Banned
If MS had listened, they would have changed the policies before they even announced it, we would never have known if the rumors were true. They had plenty of feedback saying gamers didn't like it, they decided to force it on us anyways (don't try to tell me they didn't. Gamers were bitching about it and rumors were going around strong. A guy got fired for getting gamers all fired up about it and that wasn't the first of the rumors or people complaining, he was reacting to people complaining).

MS was forced because they saw the numbers and saw they were going to fail if they didn't reverse course. That's not listening. Not reversing at that point would have just been incredibly stupid and asking for failure.

Listening would have been hearing people say they didn't like it and deciding not to try to see if people would buy it anyways (MS did the latter, trying to see if people would buy anyways. That's not listening. Reversing when it's obvious you are going to have a failure is not listening either, that's pretty much having your hand forced).

Now, if the rumors are true that Sony was going to have online DRM or no selling of used games, they could be counted as listening (they heard us complain and decided not to do it). But we won't know cause if they were considering that stuff, they listened to us and decided not to.

There was absolutely no proof that PS4 even had DRM in the first place. They would have to spend millions upon millions of dollars like Microsoft did with Xbox One to have it inside of it's infrastructure.

Listening would have been hearing people say they didn't like it and deciding not to try to see if people would buy it anyways (MS did the latter, trying to see if people would buy anyways. That's not listening. Reversing when it's obvious you are going to have a failure is not listening either, that's pretty much having your hand forced).

Now, if the rumors are true that Sony was going to have online DRM or no selling of used games, they could be counted as listening (they heard us complain and decided not to do it). But we won't know cause if they were considering that stuff, they listened to us and decided not to.

Funny thing is even after they did the 180 they were saying it was to forward thinking for consumers and they did not even explain half the stuff they were planing to do after months of questions.

Microsoft lacks loyalty because their hardware products aside from the box are shit and knock offs of things that are already on the market.

It's just the way the company conducts itself. For example lets compare live gold vs ps+. The way Microsoft has placed everything behind a paywall including something as basic is Internet explorer, as a consumer you feel like you have to buy live gold even if you don't plan on playing online MP games. Last gen specifically PS+ was a service you paid for because you wanted it and not because you needed it. Now that Sony has placed online MP behind a paywall things have changed but still ps+ is a good value. I think Microsoft needs to stop putting consumers in a position where they feel like they have to get a product or service and instead make the consumer WANT to get their products or services. Hope that makes sense lol

Curufinwe

There was absolutely no proof that PS4 even had DRM in the first place. They would have to spend millions upon millions of dollars like Microsoft did with Xbox One to have it inside of it's infrastructure.

The way the games media kept promoting the idea that Sony might have that type of DRM despite having no evidence to back that claim up was disgraceful.

It took years for ps3 to catch up with its super over priced console and ultra arrogant sony. Maybe this lead Sony has will force Microsoft to humble them selves and work better with their next console for the gamers.

It's sad to say but, MS, like Sony before them and Nintendo before them all let their arrogance get to them. Nintendo because of the SNES thought it was going to take over when the N64 hit, Sony's PS1 killed that idea. Then Sony thought that the PS3 was going to kill it because of PS2 numbers and lastly MS thought that since the 360 performed so well, that the One would just come in and kick butt.

IF these companies would learn to stop being so arrogant than maybe their products would actually succeed more. Arrogance combined with $5-600 price tags, turn the consumer off.

no PS3 was a failure in engineering not strategy

the original PS3 design was just too ambitious for IBM/Toshiba to pull off so they had to make very large compromises - the GPU in particular was pretty bad

udivision

The way the games media kept promoting the idea that Sony might have that type of DRM despite having no evidence to back that claim up was disgraceful.

The whole pre next-gen launch was so weird. I didn't really appreciate the faults with the gaming media until the DRM debate.

Replicant

The whole pre next-gen launch was so weird. I didn't really appreciate the faults with the gaming media until the DRM debate.

I find it disturbing that from what we saw during those times, it looks like the majority of gaming media either:

* Already had a year-long agenda for their publications that involves praising MS and their console and when things went sour, they were panicking and pissed off and tried to steer the situations back to the agenda they originally wanted to portrayed. This involved bad-mouthing consumers for resisting MS' DRM solution. But this is ridiculous. Because a good media/publication should be able to change their agenda at the tip of a hat when the wind of change happens and for gaming media, that didn't happen.

* They were indeed paid off by MS or had way too close association to MS to be able to criticize the DRM movement. Even then, I find it disturbing that they decided to serve the need of the corporations instead of the need of their readers. They didn't even want to side with their readers once it became clear that many of us didn't want DRM. Instead they went with bullying tactics and calling us "privileged" and all sorts of name. It's not until it was really clear that no one want what MS offering and MS changed course that the media also started to change their words.

Tigress

I'm not arguing that, I'm just saying even if you agree with that argument, what it shows is that Sony listened (I was using it as an example of a company you could say listened). I agree with you honestly though that I'm skeptical Sony was going to do the DRM and magically reversed soon as they heard MS announce it (I'm sorry, that seems a little quick to me... even MS had to say they had to do some patchwork when they released the xbox one due to the reversal, why was Sony able to reverse so quick that we had absolutely no evidence including a day one patch).

Funny thing is even after they did the 180 they were saying it was to forward thinking for consumers and they did not even explain half the stuff they were planing to do after months of questions.

Yeah, I've learned working retail that if you are going to "cave" to the customer, you should act like you are being gracious about it cause all you do if you do it and act like it's under protest (Well,fine, I'll do this but you're wrong) is still make the customer unhappy and you still had to do what you didn't want to do, it's no good for anyone. Maybe MS should learn that lesson.

Well if you're holding it against a company for listening to your wallet, it seems to me you must be opposed to it.

No, I'm saying that MS didn't listen and they shouldn't be praised for doing what they pretty much had to do to get sales. No, they shouldn't be condemned for it either, but they really don't deserve praise when they tried to force something and only caved cause they effectively had to or have a complete failure on their hand. That isn't praise worthy at all.

A_Gorilla

Banned

I always love it when companies say something like that, since its a stealth way of calling your customers stupid.

While I would never write that off as impossible because quite honestly it isn't, I personally don't think that will happen

We'll see though

I suppose it all depends on if the June NPD takes the MK8 May 30th release sales as part of it's June data. Whether there is a bundle, what price it is and how well they advertise it are all massive factors aswell but if the console sells 70 000 with no releases then I don't think 300 - 350 000 units with MK8 is out of the question.

I suppose it all depends on if the June NPD takes the MK8 May 30th release sales as part of it's June data. Whether there is a bundle, what price it is and how well they advertise it are all massive factors aswell but if the console sells 70 000 with no releases then I don't think 300 - 350 000 units with MK8 is out of the question.

i think 300-350k is so far out of the question that a word doesn't even exist to describe the distance. This is the system that sold 220k in november with a mario game

Ghazi

Remember that Sony managed to turn things around very nicely while everyone was a Debbie Downer for it, when it first came out.

Knowing MS, I'm sure they will do the same and I look forward to it.

Halo 2: Anniversary this fall will likely move a lot of Xbones, some changes to Live (apps not behind paywalls), and more exclusives/new ips like Somy does.

Curufinwe

Remember that Sony managed to turn things around very nicely while everyone was a Debbie Downer for it, when it first came out.

Knowing MS, I'm sure they will do the same and I look forward to it.

Halo 2: Anniversary this fall will likely move a lot of Xbones, some changes to Live (apps not behind paywalls), and more exclusives/new ips like Somy does.

Sony never really turned it around in the US. They always remained well behind. They caught MS in global numbers by selling well in Japan and Europe.

If you expect MS to turn it around outside the US I don't know why. The demand for their product just isn't there.

Ghazi

Sony never really turned it around in the US. They always remained well behind. They caught MS in global numbers by selling well in Japan and Europe.

If you expect MS to turn it around outside the US I don't know why. The demand for their product just isn't there.
Sorry, I forget that because I think it, doesn't mean it's implied in my post. My bad!

Yes, I meant home regions.

Biker19

Banned

I agree. MS had a 18+ million lead in the U.S. with Xbox 360 over PS3.

While not completely dead in the U.S., I don't think that they'll easily be able to rack up the same 46+ million U.S. owners with Xbox One this time around, either, nor will they be able to rack up the same 34+ million owners outside of the U.S. for Xbox One like they did with Xbox 360.

Josh5890

It's a bummer that Vita continues to sell poorly.

As for Wii-U I'm waiting for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros before putting a few nails in that coffin.

A 400-500% increase from one game? That's not how it usually works. For example, the release month of Mario Kart on Gamecube was only triple the previous month. And that's even with the release month being a November, which receives a bump anyway. (Both PS2 and Xbox also nearly tripled from that October to November.)

It's true that the Wii U is at such a low level that big jumps percentage-wise are easier. Even so, an extra 230,000 units is really asking a lot. Honestly, how many people do you think there are who desperately, hungrily want to play Mario Kart...but didn't think NSMB, SM3DW, or Donkey Kong are worth it?

In any case, this discussion is probably pointless. I'm pretty sure that NPD's May ends on the 31st. So MK's hardware impact will be split across two months.

I agree. MS had a 18+ million lead in the U.S. with Xbox 360 over PS3.

While not completely dead in the U.S., I don't think that they'll easily be able to rack up the same 46+ million numbers with Xbox One this time around, either, nor will they be able to rack up the same 34+ million owners outside of the U.S. for Xbox One like they did with Xbox 360.
That might be closer to their worldwide total this time around, if even that. It could easily end up being much lower.

As long as you can acknowledge that many people DO like the gamepad, and have valid reasons for doing so.
People can like what they like. There's no need in a sales context to acknowledge that many people like the GamePad, because in a sales context in the video game market "many" isn't a particularly apt descriptor. It's as pointless as saying that many people value the physical keyboard on BlackBerry phones and many people like Windows Phone.
Mario Kart is going to cause an 800% Y/Y increase in sales in June.

Okay.

Looking back, for a new IP, multi only even, also available on 360, the expectations were set too high considering that to have it on xbone you would have had to spend something like 450$

It is a big entry barrier.

If you are a gamer ( and a big % of gamers in NA have the 360) you may be very much tempted to play it on 360 and then buy the ps4 who has a better reputation and whose big exclusive ( infamous) does not run on any other hardware.

Roshin

I genuinely doubt it. I think most people who wanted a Wii U has bought one by now. We'll see, though.

So Wii U will increase 700%-900% YoY?
seems legit

This is good for us gamers. Microsoft has been shitting on is for years now we gave them their wake up call. Things can only better if they swallow their pride like Sony did on the ps3.

The xbox 1 must

1. Lose kinect
2. Drop the price
3. Do better with xbox live cause it sucks with all the ads & paywalls

Over 5 million sold to retailers lol. With the amount I see stacked up everywhere it'll be July before that is sold

You are right about that however, if there were more people like myself then they wouldn't bother at all. PS4 is all the console I need. Now, the next step for SONY to crush the competitor even more so is to release all those wanted sequels from the golden years and just give us more new IPs (bring back the golden JRPGs years!) and the KING will stay on the throne till the end of this gen :)

May 30th and May 31st will be tracked in May NPD. The rest will be tracked in June NPD.

300K - 350K is NOT going to happen for either month.

Since:
Holiday season + 3D Mario = 223K

A much more likely scenario is:
Slow month + Mario Kart = 150K

And that's assuming Mario Kart still has significant star power and draws in a lot of new customers outside the existing Wii U base who decide to couple their Mario Kart purchase with a Wii U purchase.

Wii Fit U / Wii Sports Club / Wii Party U / Mario & Sonic / Donkey Kong failed at shaking up the status quo, so I have my doubts about Mario Kart.

NateDrake

Does Vita matter in any region outside of Japan? 10k is end of the life-cycle/being phased out type of numbers. The new model and Borderlands 2 won't change the situation all the much, I'd assume.

Does Vita matter in any region outside of Japan?

Vita is irrelevant outside of Japan. Only countries that are relatively non-apathetic towards it appear to be Spain and Portugal but the markets there are not large enough to warrant 3rd party support

Jim, It's dead
ish, Will live on for a while as a pretty good indie machine though

Abdiel

Vita is irrelevant outside of Japan. Only countries that are relatively non-apathetic towards it appear to be Spain and Portugal but the markets there are not large enough to warrant 3rd party support

Jim, It's dead
ish, Will live on for a while as a pretty good indie machine though

Well, the interesting thing is that even if they aren't selling much of the system here... It sells so much software, it makes Sony money hand over foot. They're not losing pretty much anything on production costs, and Vita owners buy so much software. I have pushing 12 retail games, (Conception II and Demon Gaze just last week and this week, hah!), and over 30 downloadable titles (PS1/PSP). So, I mean, even if it keeps straggling on in terms of weak sales, we keep snapping up software like the game-hungry bastards we are. So Sony can just keep selling enough to keep on the NDPs at all, and they're still profitable. Means it works for them to keep bringing games over.

Top Bottom