• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

DevelopmentArrested said:
Halo is done as #1 franchise on 360. Modern Warfare has officially taken over.
Not really. Just wait until Halo Reach. MW2 released on more consoles than Halo 3 did, and the next "big" Halo game is Reach.

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

sciplore

Sucked I missed my predictions but if I did not the 360 would have just fucked my score up anyway :lol.

And when was the last time a multiplatform game was this high between 360 and PS3 wtf? Also after Batman I was expecting the split between 360/PS3 on Assassin's Creed 2 be a bit smaller.

Road

Y2Kev said:
Is there a breakdown in hardware bundles? Can we determine what the 360 Elite w/MW2 sold?
My memory is failing. MW2 bundles are included in hardware but not in software in the numbers posted, right?

Ardorx said:
Realistically, how could anyone expect the 360 not to outsell the PS3 (though I was hoping the PS3 would be the higher seller)? It's still cheaper and comes packed with two games by default.

Did you not see the prediction thread? Everyone save maybe 5 people thought the PS3 would win, including all the 'expert' analysts.

Slurmer

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
Can we start a chalk board or flow chart or something so we can keep all the tin foil hat excuses in one place. It's no fun to laugh at them if they are all scattered.

The 360 chalkboard worked out real well last month :lol

DMeisterJ

Banned
Ardorx said:
Realistically, how could anyone expect the 360 not to outsell the PS3 (though I was hoping the PS3 would be the higher seller)? It's still cheaper and comes packed with two games by default.

Please, stop.

:/

SEGAmaniaco said:
PS3's still the best console of this gen

Oh my

Orlics

demosthenes said:
Did you not see the prediction thread? Everyone save maybe 5 people thought the PS3 would win, including all the 'expert' analysts.
You can trust my opinion, I'm an expert on console sales,

jetjevons said:
When did Reggie say NSMBWii was supposed to outsell COD:MW2 360 by? If end of Jan then :lol

Reggie said:
“Modern Warfare 2 is on two platforms. On a single platform, absolutely. I say that unequivocally. On one particular platform, I do believe so. You’ve got to give me the entire holiday selling season, so let’s take it all the way through the January NPD data. It’s going to be close. Modern Warfare is a a great title. As a gamer, I look forward to it. The new Modern Warfare, I think is going to be a fantastic title. Not to discount it, it will sell well. Of course I’ll play it. I play all the content out there.”

By that "particular platform" I'm guessing he was obviously talking about PS3.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Kandrick said:
IT BEGINS :lol

It already began!

Afrikan said:
how many 360 consoles were banned again???

edit- basically are these 800k+ mostly new console owners or gamers with banned consoles.

either way, great job at MS....they know what the fk they are doing.

Ardorx

Banned
By the way, it's incredible how big of a difference the is between the number of copies MW2 sold on the 360 and on the PS3.

ChuBoi said:
3 pages and no good gifs? I'm disappointed by this thread so far

No one had any prepared for THIS outcome!!

All those PS3 Stomping 360 gifs have to get re-edited!

:lol

Unbelievable.

"I recommend, Feather Touch. 360 has selected POWER DRIVE!"

Mrbob

Yeah Reggie is getting served on his MW2 bet. NSWMB Wii will not pass up the 360 version of MW2.

Oh I see he qualified that with either platform....he still might lose this bet though.

JudgeN

schuelma said:
PS3 had some absolutely incredible bundles for Black Friday weekend.

Pretty weak excuse.

They had bundles for that 1 day/weekend, 360's had deal all month long and continues to have retailer deal during December. Not like I'm making things up here, PS3 got beat but you can clearly see what retailers are pushing here.

Xavien

MW2 is going to be one of the most front loaded games in NPD history, those massive amount of preorders have been fulfilled, i wonder if either will even chart next month.

That said, fucking 6 million units is one HELL of a lot.

ChuBoi

Banned
shinshero said:
Wait...These NPD numbers don't include the entire Black Friday week do they? (Ends on 29/11/09 as opposed to NPD coverage up to the 28th)

Good observation. Dec should be interesting then.

Chrange

Banned
Burai said:
Why are people surprised at the Xbox 360 outselling the PS3? Microsoft rendered hundreds of thousands of consoles useless during this NPD month. It was almost inevitable that Modern Warfare-wanting pirates would be buying replacement machines and copies of the game.

I thought all the pirates were buying PS3's out of spite?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Nekofrog said:
Nope. As the entirety of the Wii's lifespan has shown, Nintendo's titles don't generally "explode" and then taper off like most big games. They "explode" and then continue to show up on the chart for at least 9 months, or even years (as this very NPD shows).

In the end, NSMBWii will likely outsell MW2.

And considering how close it is to overtaking the PS3 version (come on, do you really expect MW2 PS3 to have long legs?), Reggie is on VERY safe ground.

Agree with this. Just look at Mario Kart Wii or New Super Mario Bros DS Modern Warfare 1 sold over 13 million across all platforms. NSMB DS is at just under 20 million, and Mario Kart Wii over 18 million. That fat plumber's got legs.

I have no clue why Reggie ever thought NSMB would have a better November than MW2 on 360. Beating the PS3 was a "Realistic" goal though I think Mario will have PS3 sku beat in Dec. chart.

Dax01 said:
Not really. Just wait until Halo Reach. MW2 released on more consoles than Halo 3 did, and the next "big" Halo game is Reach.

Is there really any chance in hell that Halo Reach does more than MW2 360 first month NPD?

mood

Jeff Albertson said:
He has a point though, if Ms have banned a million consoles its safe to say at least a third of these people would rebuy meaning a spike in sales of 360's.
:lol This has been debunked in this thread already.

Why For?

Banned
a Master Ninja said:
I thought Reggie said "November + December numbers".

So you think NSMBWii will suddenly sell around 6 million copies while Modern Warfare sells none for the next month or so?

Averon

I totally underestimated the selling power of MW2. That Modern Warfare bundle must have moved quite a few 360's.

Spiegel

360 is a fucking software selling beast.
6 million+ only counting the games in the TOP10. I'm seriously impressed

And MW2 sales are ridiculous

Bizzyb

Banned
Wow...those MW2 numbers are biblical, epic even.

A shame NSMBW did not outdo at least the PS3 version. Does this mean Reggie loses his bet??

edit: Oh ok, through the end of January. In that case, yeah he will win the bet. MW2 is front loaded and NSMBW is a slow burner.

Oh and :lol at 360 still beating PS3 (Chill, I own both consoles)

In other news: Wii dominates, 3rd parties feel stupid. Film at 11.

Seventy5

Jtyettis said:
I called it in August bro. Ya damn right.
You always call the same thing though. And gloat :lol .

Jesus christ at MW2 6 million in the US alone. Kinda makes me sad for, you know, good games.

System: Average weeks ownership (Average purchase date)

PS3: 72.7 (July 8, 2008)
Wii: 73.7 (July 1, 2008)
X360: 98.7 (January 8, 2008)

As expected, Wii does pass up X360 in total ownership this month: 1.72 billion to 1.71 billion weeks.

DS with the second best November ever, behind last year's Wii number. Wii did really bad--PS2 once had a November slightly better!

Modern Warfare 2 passing 4 million on one platform and 6 million on two is really the crazy of the month, though.

AZ Greg

DeadGzuz said:
Or without the $100 Arcade sale and banned 360s.

2hqwcr8.jpg

Why For? said:
So you think NSMBWii will suddenly sell around 6 million copies while Modern Warfare sells none for the next month or so?

It needs to beat the sales on ONE system by the end of January.

Burai

shitonmychest57
OldJadedGamer said:
Can we start a chalk board or flow chart or something so we can keep all the tin foil hat excuses in one place. It's no fun to laugh at them if they are all scattered.

Tin foil excuse?

So you honestly believe that all of those thousands upon thousands of pirates who were banned have just gone into hibernation and suddenly have no desire whatsoever to play Modern Warfare 2 online?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
PantherLotus said:
What did Reggie say that has everybody lolling?

Reggie said Mario Would have a better November than Modern Warfare. While Mario has legs, and in the long run, could very likely outsell MW2, there's no way it was going to have a better launch month with all the hype and advertising that was part of MW2's launch.

pieatorium said:
He said that NSMBWii would outsell MW2 on one either one of PS3 or 360 for the holidays.

I thought he called out the 360 specifically. If he said either platform, then I think there's a good change Mario will have more sales than the PS3 sku by Holiday's end.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PantherLotus said:
What did Reggie say that has everybody lolling?

He said NSMB Wii would outsell one version of MW2 by January. People think he was clearly talking about the 360 version..just reading his quote I don't think he said that.

Flakster99 said:
I do hope that Uncharted 2 performed alright, game certainly deserved a HUGE chunk of PS3 XMAS sales.
It's a joke how that game sold, compared to its peers. I'm very disappointed in PS3 owners.

Top Bottom