• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

offshore said:
I don't get how the 360 numbers are all that impressive. If the 360 is the top console, then hardware sales have declined pretty badly since last year. PPS and PS will almost certainly be lower, and the PS and D'S will quite obviously have to be lower if the 360 is top dog.

Looks like another bad month hardware wise.

Cause 360 numbers are up in dire times and that's impressive. Why would Microsoft give a crap if everyone else is down? That's their problem and it just makes microsoft's ability to hump over the bad-times all the more admirable.

I know I would have laughed at anyone 5 years ago that thought the 360 would have the legs like it does. That's impressive. The fact that people forgot where Microsoft was less than 10 years ago is impressive.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Dead Rising 2 at number 3, not bad woohoo!

so are those combined sales, then? Hopefully the 360 version would have been no. 3 either wya.

Pooya

KH did well, shocked!!! also good for DR2.
oh wait, it's a lot easier to be on combined SKU chart, for all we know the gap between FIFA and KH could be a lot :\ . I don't think MAFIA II sales are very high for example judging by last month.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Road said:
http://www.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/

The Top 10 sellers (in order, publisher and platform in parentheses):

Halo: Reach (Microsoft, Xbox 360)
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP)
Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
NHL 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3)
FIFA Soccer 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix, PSP)
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision Blizzard, PS3, 360, NDS, Wii)
Metroid: Other M (Nintendo, Wii)
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

my guess
1. Halo Reach
2. Dead Rising 2 360
3. Madden NFL 11 360
4. Madden NFL 11 PS3
5. Dead Rising 2 PS3
6. NHL 11 360
7. NHL 11 PS3
8. FIFA 11 PS3
9. FIFA 11 360
10. Madden NFL 11 Wii

Road said:

Ugh, they got Euro charts all over my NPDs.

Surprising hold for Mafia 2 in its first full month of sales.
Glad Dead Rising outsold Kingdom Hearts, revenge for Capcom.
Metroid...is probably over 150k if it's over all combined MW2 sales.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Greenberg elaborated in his following tweet that Microsoft sold 483,989 hardware units in September, "a 37% increase over last year." He also claimed the console is the only system with higher sales year-over-year.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Jonsoncao said:
my guess
1. Halo Reach
2. Dead Rising 2 360
3. Madden NFL 11 360
4. Madden NFL 11 PS3
5. Dead Rising 2 PS3
6. NHL 11 360
7. NHL 11 PS3
8. FIFA 11 PS3
9. FIFA 11 360
10. Madden NFL 11 Wii

I'd like to think that Other M could top the Wii version of Madden, but I guess we'll never know for sure.

Hopefully this means that Dead Rising 2 360 sold 2.9 million copies, being barely edged by Halo Reach

dwebo

"The three PS3 Move SKU's residing in the accessories category each made the top 10 in unit sales of accessory items for the month of September."

"The 360 Live 1600 point card was once again the best-selling accessory item, followed this month by the PS3 $20 Network Card. We continue to examine industry sales that occur outside the traditional retail channel, and the success of these items at retail, points to the growing importance of sales via digital distribution."
So... two points cards did better than Move?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
So going by that, if Wii was level or down over August per week, and PS3 was up, PS3 may have beat Wii...and yet we may never know for sure now :lol

Zzoram

I think the NPD top 10 combined list + any solid numbers from platform holders/NPD should still warrant a first post in a new thread.

[Nintex]

Road said:

I guess this has to be translated to:
1: Halo Reach(360) - 3.3 million
2: Madden NFL 11(360) - ??
3: Madden NFL 11(PS3) - ??
4: Dead Rising 2(360) - ??
5: Dead Rising 2(PS3) - ??
6: NHL 11(360) - ??
7: NHL 11(360) - ??
8: Kingdom Hearts (PSP) - ??
9: Mafia II (360) - ??
etc.
34: Metroid: Other M - 3 copies

Mrbob

GAF Ninjas can attempt to extrapolate and figure out PS3 and PSP data.

"Hardware unit sales, with the exception of the Xbox 360, are down versus last September, but a couple other platforms, specifically the PS3 and the PSP are up on an average sales per week basis as compared to last month (August 2010)," Frazier said. However, average retail price of hardware rose in September, primarily because of the Xbox 360 Halo:Reach bundle and the PS3 Move bundle, she said.

gofreak said:
So going by that, if Wii was level or down over August per week, and PS3 was up, PS3 may have beat Wii...and yet we may never know for sure now :lol

Sony will surely let us know if they outsold the Wii.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
jetjevons said:
Greenberg elaborated in his following tweet that Microsoft sold 483,989 hardware units in September, "a 37% increase over last year." He also claimed the console is the only system with higher sales year-over-year.
Nobody expected Wii and PS3 to be up.

If there is one company this NPD decision helped it is Sony. (I think) this is the first month they could not claim YoY increase.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jvm said:
Halo: Reach, Madden, Dead Rising 2, NHL 11, FIFA 11, KH:BBS, Mafia 2, Spider-Man, Metroid: OM, CoD:MW2

Edit: Beaten like a stick.
So uh...JVM, is this the end of your excellent NPD articles at Gamasutra since we're not getting detailed info anymore? :(

Zzoram said:
I think the NPD top 10 combined list + any solid numbers from platform holders/NPD should still warrant a first post in a new thread.

If no one else does it in 5 minutes, I'm gonna. Evilore not lurking anywhere?

[Nintex]

Sho_Nuff82 said:
If no one else does it in 5 minutes, I'm gonna. Evilore not lurking anywhere?
I recall his most recent OT thread with some cool photo's of his road trip so I'm not sure if he's around town.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GarthVaderUK said:
Sony will surely let us know if they outsold the Wii.

Assuming that was the case, on the one hand they beat Wii, which is a fairly notable event for a given month. On the other hand, they still didn't beat MS, they would still have to say (at most) 'we were number 2'. So maybe they'll stay mum.

We'll find out soon enough I guess...

Haunted

Kobun Heat said:
Somebody is going to have to start official NPD threads, collating all of the info from publishers' tweets and press releases into a monthly compendium and trying to figure out what the everloving fuck is even going on in the videogame industry.

Not it.
Not i- aaww damnit!

Zzoram said:
Other M didn't totally bomb if it made the top 10 combined charts.
Considering it couldn't beat Mafia II, an underwhelming seller that didn't even come out that month, and was marketed extremely heavily, I'm gonna go with 'no' unless Other M sprouts some legs.

My prediction: Expect a huge dip in software sales after #1 on that list (duh), another big dip at #3 and another one after #5. Meaning, I predict sad sales for games that even listed from #6 and down. Well, MW2 being charted at all isn't "sad" for the franchise or activision but their game came out a year ago...and it's more a testament to how poor sales are this month and how weak some of those charted games are gonna be...if of course we ever really get to know :-(.

Top Bottom