• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

Jonsoncao

Banned
LordPhoque said:
I meant forged. Do you actually believe manufacturers' numbers ? Not that NPD won't give the numbers anymore, they'll obviously lie and fanboys will believe them. Console war will be worse. At least with NPD we had an unbiased and serious source.

so you think the numbers were forged?
not_sure_if_serious.gif

[Nintex]

Beer Monkey said:
Cmon, Sony and Nintendo, don't be pussies.
Greenberg should call them out like: "Difference between PS3 and Xbox 360 is like the grand canyon. Lol Wii Fad is over" and Nintendo and Sony will show their hand not to look bad. :lol

BenjaminBirdie said:
So you think Aaron Greenberg just made them up? When there are actually people who see them and can call him out?

Uh, okay?

I was not speaking of this case in particular. I do believe that the 360 outsold the others systems in september, just because of Halo Reach. But now, what prevents MS or Sony to say "hey, I sold more systems than you this month !" without any proof ?

szaromir

Banned
MS sold 1.735M consoles over Summer (June-September) and have nice momentum going into the Holiday season. They played their cards well this year.
So didn't do as well as Halo 3 then.
Not too far off.

Fredescu

Jonsoncao said:
so you think the numbers were forged?
not_sure_if_serious.gif
Welcome to sales age from this day onwards. I wonder if there should be some rule about it because it's just gonna get out of hand.

Sadist

LordPhoque said:
I meant forged. Do you actually believe manufacturers' numbers ? Not that NPD won't give the numbers anymore, they'll obviously lie and fanboys will believe them. Console war will be worse. At least with NPD we had an unbiased and serious source.
conansrs.gif

Dude, Greenberg has been tweeting the numbers for the last couple of months before they were published by NPD. Guess what, Greenberg didn't make those numbers up.

LordPhoque said:
I was not speaking of this case in particular. I do believe that the 360 outsold the others systems in september, just because of Halo Reach. But now, what prevents MS or Sony to say "hey, I sold more systems than you this month !" without any proof ?

The fact that NPD can come out and correct them any time they feel like it.

The fact that a publicly traded company releasing fake business results can get you in serious trouble with the SEC and FTC, and these are numbers that thousands of people have access to.

offshore

I don't get how the 360 numbers are all that impressive. If the 360 is the top console, then hardware sales have declined pretty badly since last year. PSP and PS2 will almost certainly be lower, and the PS3 and DS will quite obviously have to be lower if the 360 is top dog.

Looks like another bad month hardware wise.

FoneBone

LordPhoque said:
Other companies having the information? NPD not allowing them to make shit up? Teensy things like that?

[Nintex]

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo and Sony will most likely provide hw numbers, they usually do it at their PR.
If this is true the NPD people are rather stupid, the numbers will be out there anyway so why not provide them?

Jonsoncao

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
So didn't do as well as Halo 3 then.
3.3m to be precise, same first month record for Halo 3 and reach

but considering Reach got 1 more week to chart, I guess the # of Reach was not that impressive

szaromir said:
MS sold 1.735M consoles over Summer (June-September) and have nice momentum going into the Holiday season. They played their cards well this year.

Not too far off.

Halo 3 did 3.3. on less than half the userbase Reach had.

Looks like people want to see the 4 in the title.

Chris1964 said:
Nintendo and Sony will most likely provide hw numbers, they usually do it at their PR.
They usually do it in their PR... when they knew NPD was releasing them anyway. All bets are off now. Why bother trying to spin bad numbers if you don't have to?

Seda

GarthVaderUK said:
So who is going to make the thread for this stuff then? Waiting for one of the mods to post it or is it a free-for-all?

Whoever wants to seek out the sales data from whatever sources release it

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
GarthVaderUK said:
So who is going to make the thread for this stuff then? Waiting for one of the mods to post it or is it a free-for-all?

Yeah, we should have a monthly sales numbers thread of something like that. At least one for the hardware numbers announced by PR.

szaromir

Banned
Chris1964 said:
They used to do that because the numbers were out anyway. They added whatever numbers they thought were positive for them. If they think their numbers might be seen as low by the public, they won't reveal them anymore.

Road said:
Halo 3 sold 3.3 million too.

But it had less days on sale, so you're technically right.

You have to consider it's a sequel on the same generation of consoles. It really is an impressive (not but surprising) performance.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
GarthVaderUK said:

I guess Evilore will still make a thread with whatever NPD does throw out to the press (?)

[Nintex] said:
If this is true the NPD people are rather stupid, the numbers will be out there anyway so why not provide them?
But if that happened, what would keep the people that pays for that information from just cancelling their subscriptions?

Good Reach numbers.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Ridley327 said:
I can't believe there's people poo-pooing 3.3 million sales of anything, so it must be a proper NPD thread.

I thought Reach could top MW2 360's first month, kinda disappointed now :(

NPD thread where people piece together sales data

lets fill them out along the way

Xbox 360 - 483,989
PS3
PSP
Wii
DS

1. Halo Reach - 3.3 million

Road

LordPhoque said:
You have to consider it's a sequel on the same generation of consoles. It really is an impressive (not but surprising) performance.
I think you should argue otherwise: you have to consider it lacks a "4" in the title. :lol

The numbers are impressive any way you look at it. That's why I said it "technically" performed worse than Halo 3.

Jonsoncao

Banned
ExtraKr1spy said:

Xbox 360 - 483,989
PS3
PSP
Wii
DS

fixed

Seda

ExtraKr1spy said:

Xbox 360 - 483,989
PS3
PSP
Wii
DS

Fixed

Edit: DAMMIT

Zzoram

So I think it's safe to say Microsoft didn't push NPD to stop releasing data if they were just going to reveal their numbers anyways.

Jonsoncao

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Other M clearly sold 3.4 million copies; it had 5 weeks on sale, after all.

My logic is flawless.

only conditionally flawless under an "incomplete information provided" condition :D

Road

http://www.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/

The Top 10 sellers (in order, publisher and platform in parentheses):

Halo: Reach (Microsoft, Xbox 360)
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP)
Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
NHL 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3)
FIFA Soccer 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix, PSP)
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision Blizzard, PS3, 360, NDS, Wii)
Metroid: Other M (Nintendo, Wii)
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

"Hardware unit sales, with the exception of the Xbox 360, are down versus last September, but a couple other platforms, specifically the PS3 and the PSP are up on an average sales per week basis as compared to last month (August 2010)"

"Total sales of hardware and software, including PC games, were down 8% from Sept. 2009. Overall sales hit $1.22 billion, compared to $1.32 billion last September."

"Hardware sales of $383 million were down 19%, compared to Sept. 2009 ($427 million)."

"The three PS3 Move SKU's residing in the accessories category each made the top 10 in unit sales of accessory items for the month of September."

"The 360 Live 1600 point card was once again the best-selling accessory item, followed this month by the PS3 $20 Network Card.

Seda

Road said:
http://www.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/

The Top 10 sellers (in order, publisher and platform in parentheses):

Halo: Reach (Microsoft, Xbox 360)
Madden NFL 11 (Electronic Arts, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, Wii, PSP)
Dead Rising 2 (Capcom, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
NHL 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3)
FIFA Soccer 11 (EA, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Nintendo DS)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep (Square Enix, PSP)
Mafia II (Take 2 Interactive, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions (Activision Blizzard, PS3, 360, NDS, Wii)
Metroid: Other M (Nintendo, Wii)
Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard, Xbox 360, PS3, PC)

A PSP GAME WOW

new thread for this please

jvm

Gamasutra.
Halo: Reach, Madden, Dead Rising 2, NHL 11, FIFA 11, KH:BBS, Mafia 2, Spider-Man, Metroid: OM, CoD:MW2

Edit: Beaten like a stick.

Ridley327

Wow, those must be some awesome numbers for Dead Rising 2 since it was on sale for all of five days.

Also, Other M making the top 10 must mean that it's getting cold in Satan's hot tub.

Top Bottom