• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

Jeels

Does that include this month btw, because I really wanted to see if Birth by Sleep could chart, or how it did in general. Guess I'm waiting for Square Enix' fiscal earnings report.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Segata Sanshiro said:
The two of you together are killing the gang's Ban Insurance premiums.

Aren't they under the age 21, anyway? Papa Segata must be paying a LOOOOOT of money in Ban Insurance for you two...

Dalthien

charlequin said:
What NPD does to produce their numbers is a ton of work requiring a lot of raw information about the source of the numbers they're working with and a fairly large amount of institutional knowledge.
It's possible that we just have different definitions for a 'ton of work', but I certainly wouldn't go to that extreme in describing what NPD does. I've seen the multipliers that NPD uses (admittedly, from a few years ago), and they were extremely simplistic and basic. There was absolutely nothing about the multipliers that suggested even the tiniest bit of geographical analysis, retailer-specific analysis, etc. They used a single multiplier across entire platforms, regardless of the genre of the game, the age-rating, retailer-specific promotions, geographical promotions, etc. It was the most basic 3rd-grade type of stuff, where they took the assumed total market figures, and simply divided it by their total raw retailer figures to arrive at a simple multiplier that was then used across the board regardless of any actual analysis as suggested above.

charlequin said:
It's pretty foolish to believe that because NPD specifically doesn't any longer track Wal-Mart data that it's impossible to do so, especially given that a) they used to and b) Wal-Mart participates in SoundScan so they obviously have no innate unwillingness to participate in third-party sales tracking systems.
I don't know. They haven't tracked WalMart for a long time now. For the first year or two after losing WalMart they would have still maintained a pretty good idea of WalMart's place in the market. But with each year that passes, the error rate in their WalMart projections grows larger and larger, and the confidence level in those numbers grows smaller and smaller.

Not to mention that NPD is missing Toys 'r Us as well, along with a number of other smaller players. I would suspect that Toys 'r Us and WalMart together make up a rather large chunk of the more casual + children's + women's + budget gaming markets, and missing out on these two retailers completely no doubt skews their data, particularly in these specific areas.

I would be surprised if NPD covers much more than 60% of the overall retail market, and when the retailers that they miss skew towards different demographics than the retailers that they do cover, that undoubtedly causes some fairly serious uncertainty in their data projections. We've seen numerous examples in the fairly recent past where NPD has been off pretty seriously with their numbers for specific titles, as easily noticed when the publisher's own shipping numbers for North America come in noticeably below NPD's reported sales figures.

I guess the point of all this is that I don't feel that NPD really provides a service that couldn't be fairly well reproduced by another firm. I'm just not sure what the financial incentive would be for another firm to step into the market. But NPD surely hasn't wowed me with their own efforts.

Edit - after reading through your post again, along with your responses to donny, it seems that I might have misunderstood the point of your post with respect to this particular comment.

TheSeks said:
Aren't they under the age 21, anyway? Papa Segata must be paying a LOOOOOT of money in Ban Insurance for you two...
For some reason or another the premiums he pays for me are sky high and I've only been banned once. :(

jvm said:
If you were going to ask NPD for something specific this month, what would you ask for?

For them to stop hurting America.

donny2112 said:
And if they are, what would preclude another company jumping into tracking from getting the same?

Nothing in particular, except the huge upfront costs, the dubious utility of getting into a market where 100% of your possible customers are already paying someone else, and the relative unimportance of the gaming market for basically all of the major media conglomerates.

Of course, this is totally unrelated to the topic at hand, which was why the publishers and platform-holders needed NPD when they could just call their retail partners and ask for sell-through numbers.

Of course not. However if Wal-Mart isn't swayed by NPD to join their panel, what would be the likelihood of jumping in with someone new to the scene?

Arguably pretty high? NPD are just one sales research firm of many, run with what, from the position of many outsiders, seem to be fairly unproductive policies in this particular market segment. Wal-Mart play ball in terms of sales data for every other content medium, which makes me think NPD just sucked at getting them to stay on board.

The point I was rebuffing was the idea that NPD themselves had tracking stations in individual stores and were, thus, getting more specific data than the retail partner.

No, you were responding to my post about something different with some totally unrelated points. :p

EmCeeGramr said:
wait why the hell were boney and gravijah allowed into any gang at all

why was i not informed of this so i could veto it
it was the night shift, they were helpful in my thread burning activities. the problem is when they decided to go maverick and start bum-fucking every single 3DS thread. even i'm not that cheeky.

Segata Sanshiro said:
it was the night shift, they were helpful in my thread burning activities. the problem is when they decided to go maverick and start bum-fucking every single 3DS thread. even i'm not that cheeky.
Besides I think they're cool... that has to mean something doesn't it?

I'm getting the feeling that just about everyone thinks that NPD's entire business is tracking video game sales. They are tracking most retail sales, the video game sales are clearly the only thing relevant to this forum but their business is based on retail in general.

As has been said they have millions of American's shopping habbits tracked, to think they are blindly throwing darts against the wall to figure out Wallmarts sales is either ignorance or being a Chartz fanboy, which based on the numerous posts by them in this thread appears to be a sad number of people.

Vagabundo

Maybe this has been covered: are we back to the wild wild west? Is it allowed to post the leaks now?

Viva la Anarchie...

Trolling for Dummies: Slash and burn techniques for online forum baiting, by Segata Sanshiro...

Andrex
Banned
(Today, 04:52 AM)

good riddance.

On topic: This is why nobody should get total monopoly in any business. Gonna miss GAF's monthly npd day.

It just sucks for because I thought hardware was starting to get interesting again with MS winning 3 months in a row and the Wii's market dwindling. Also would be interesting to see how kinect/move affected sales patterns. It would be a lot easier to see when the next generation is coming based on the numbers too. If Kinect bombs, or Wii/Xbox hardware sales fall off the map, its gonna be a lot sooner than later.

Osuwari

heh at least i went out with a bang in hardware predictions...

hopefully the platform holders will release their numbers more often now.

charlequin said:
How about numbers attributed to Carnac the Magnificent?

Carnac.jpg

PSGames

charlequin said:

We used to post leaked numbers right? Just curious what has changed since then?

Thunder Monkey said:
Gah!

It's like you guys don't want to get sued or something.

I very much doubt they could be sued for leaked information. Especially when GAF wasn't the source.

ToxicAdam

Andrex get banned because of this thread?

See, every dark cloud of bad news has a silver lining. Sometimes you just need to wait 20 pages for it to make itself evident.

---

Sales-age is what brought me to GAF 6 years ago. You need to respect it's place in making the forum what it is today.

ToxicAdam said:
Andrex get banned because of this thread?

See, every dark cloud of bad news has a silver lining. Sometimes you just need to wait 20 pages for it to make itself evident.

---

Sales-age is what brought me to GAF 6 years ago. You need to respect it's place in making the forum what it is today.

yep, it brought me here too. I always came here for the numbers, so I figured why not be a user here? I don't regret it

onken

crazygambit said:
I kinda disagree. It will never really be a monopoly since there will always be PC gaming. If it starts becoming too restrictive people will gravitate more toward PCs until it starts becoming less draconian.

In theory yes, but you know that's never going to happen. John Q Public is going to lap it up and ask for seconds.

Also competition is NOT always good for the consumer (for an easy example see HDDVD - Bluray).

You've gotta be kidding, the 2 different camps were falling over themselves to offer incentives and deals that never would have happened otherwise.

I wouldn't fear you example too much, it would definetely lead to a class action law suit. You really can't make a game sold for a certain system not work on said system anymore (though working of future versions of the system is quite another matter).

Shrug, it's only an example but I don't think it's that far-fetched. There's a number of ways they could it. I guess the simplest would be that all models sold henceforth don't play the older games, then gradually stop putting out firmware updates to the older models, forcing you to get a new box if you want to play the latest games/movies etc.

onken said:
You've gotta be kidding, the 2 different camps were falling over themselves to offer incentives and deals that never would have happened
Not just that, but now I know a bunch of people with HUGE HD-DVD collections that they bought for next to nothing. :)

duckroll

PSGames said:
We used to post leaked numbers right? Just curious what has changed since then?

Scans used to be okay too. Rules change. It is in our best interest not to have to deal with legal bullshit.

allan-bh said:
Any chance of company placed last in home consoles sales release their numbers today?
They'll all gloat about what they can... that's going to be more difficult for some companies than others.

onken said:
In theory yes, but you know that's never going to happen. John Q Public is going to lap it up and ask for seconds.

You've gotta be kidding, the 2 different camps were falling over themselves to offer incentives and deals that never would have happened otherwise.

Shrug, it's only an example but I don't think it's that far-fetched. There's a number of ways they could it. I guess the simplest would be that all models sold henceforth don't play the older games, then gradually stop putting out firmware updates to the older models, forcing you to get a new box if you want to play the latest games/movies etc.

I'm not kidding. I think the consumer is much better off now that there's only one format. Even with those "deals" investing in 2 players to be able to see all the movies was much more expensive. Having to choose one format meant you couldn't get the exclusives in the other. Now we get access to the whole library of HD movies available and prices aren't any more expensive.

There are many other industries when consolidation is better for the consumer than perfect competition (note I said consolidation, not necessarily a monopoly) I just gave an example you might be able to relate to and that was discussed extensively in this forum.

It's just that the idea that competition is ALWAYS better for the consumer is quite wrong, it usually is, not always. Pick up an econ book if you don't believe me.

Anyway this is getting too off topic so I'll leave it at that. Funny enough I think some competition in the gaming data gathering business would be nice, but won't happen because of steep barriers of entry.

I believe the full impact of this needed to wait until I went and had a nice long sleep before it took hold.

*deep breath*

OH GOD MY LIFE IS WORTHLESS NOW WORTHLESS WHY CRUEL WORLD, WHY HAS THOU FORSAKEN MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(NPD has been crap for a long while. None of the numbers I really cared about ever showed up anyway, so this news doesn't hit me that hard in practical terms. But the constant scaling back of information sucks.)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Spiegel said:
But only if the companies want to share those numbers.

NPD will only share the Top 10

Hmm. I thought this meant differently:

monthly analysis from NPD industry analyst, Anita Frazier, will include software sales figures at both the sku and title level for various new releases

This is reported among the changes made in what will be reported to the press:

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/npd-alters-data-reporting-no-longer-providing-hardware-sales/

turnbuckle

Ahh, that's really disappointing. First was introduced to GAF several years ago as a source for numbers. What we used to get was amazing, but even when it was just a top 10 it was appreciated. I pretty much only skim sales threads anymore because GAF has a lot more to offer, but it sucks to see them gone.

Top Bottom