• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

Kenka

This is the worst news ever for sales-age and almost no meltdown ?

Maybe the sales-age force isn't what it used to be.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haunted said:
On the one hand, he should be a bit worried that he can't correct his own numbers once NPD hits as easily now. On the other hand, since fewer people know the actual numbers now, his made up bs should be even safer to spread. Being called out on his false numbers regularly didn't stop him, now he doesn't even have to be that worried about it.

Sloane had two accounts. :eek:

He probably gets leaked numbers. This is nothing but positive for him.

confuziz said:
'Whether NPD releases their numbers to the public or not will have no effect on the figures that we publish'

Thoughts?
Wont affect the figures they publish... just the ones they massage on the sly later when they realise that their guesstimates are less accurate than half of the people in the GAF prediction thread in an average month.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Kenka said:

The anti sales-age force has had a few meltdowns though.

poppabk said:
Cahill is gonna need to borrow one it seems.
Cahill
Banned
(Today, 10:18 AM)
Reply | Quote
I think you missed the joke. Shyamalan twist:
He was basically saying Cahill was Sloane's second account.

confuziz

Banned
Psychotext said:
Wont affect the figures they publish... just the ones they massage on the sly later when they realise that their guesstimates are less accurate than half of the people in the GAF prediction thread in an average month.

Yea about the prediction thread..

If you know what I knew :lol

dionysus

Yaldog
I will miss it most around the release of a new console generation. All we will have is anectdotes on what people are buying.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
FunkyPajamas said:
I think you missed the joke. Shyamalan twist:
He was basically saying Cahill was Sloane's second account.
So wait, are you saying that sloane was a ghost all along and that it was the plants that killed the NPD figures?

Haunted

Kenka said:

Or maybe being rational and calm is a prerequisite of being part of sales-age.

I do think it's kind of funny that this is just bad news for sales-age yet the only people getting banned are sales-age haters. :p

poppabk said:
So wait, are you saying that sloane was a ghost all along and that it was the plants that killed the NPD figures?
hAHFyl.jpg

FunkyPajamas said:
I'm guessing citing or referencing false or unfounded sales data will be made bannable (just as citing tehchartz numbers is also bannable).

So either we'll be "safe" or there will be a lot of bans coming.
Hell, any kind of numbers are better than none around here. The bullshit and misinformation in Wii threads was on a whole other level compared to regular trolling on gaming side. The release of move and kinect are going to bring the silliness over the edge. Sales age has only recently begun to set itself apart from the craziness, but I fear that it's going to come back with this vacuum.
Kenka said:

Sales age has really matured over the last couple of years. People are much more reasonable than before. I guess it should be expected when we're more than half way done with this generation.

SolarPowered said:
Hell, any kind of numbers are better than none around here. The bullshit and misinformation in Wii threads was on a whole other level compared to regular trolling on gaming side. The release of move and kinect are going to bring the silliness over the edge. Sales age has only recently begun to set itself apart from the craziness, but I fear that it's going to come back with this vacuum.
But isn't "any kind of numbers" also "misinformation"? I mean, I could pull numbers out of my ears right now, but without the means to back it up (and without current data to prove me wrong) I'd basically be lying or trolling. So What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if referencing current sale numbers without solid sources to back it up ends up being bannable.

Note: I'm not saying that sales talk should be bannable, just that if misinformation and ignorance are going to be used as trolling tools, then we could probably use some rules in place for that.

FunkyPajamas said:
But isn't "any kind of numbers" also "misinformation"? I mean, I could pull numbers out of my ears right now, but without the means to back it up (and without current data to prove me wrong) I'd basically be lying or trolling. So What I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if referencing current sale numbers without solid sources to back it up ends up being bannable.

Note: I'm not saying that sales talk should be bannable, just that if misinformation and ignorance are going to be used as trolling tools, then we could probably use some rules in place for that.
Yeah, I got ya.

Mods who frequent the gaming side are probably pretty annoyed by this development.:lol

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Kenka said:

NPD provides minimal data. Worst news ever would be if Japan went down.

SolarPowered said:
Yeah, I got ya.

Mods who frequent the gaming side are probably pretty annoyed by this development.:lol
probably?

they've been banning people cheering the announcement already. i think we can say they're definately annoyed about it.

Chris1964 said:
NPD provides minimal data. Worst news ever would be if Japan went down.
i think losing substantive info from the biggest market it worse news. japan may give us more complete info, but NPD was giving out just enough. more info would have been nice, but we had 'enough' i think.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
poppabk said:
They've been revising their numbers based on a full NPD leak, and so they don't need the published figures?

So if the chartz numbers are revised based on NPD, does that mean they're ultimately accurate?

DMeisterJ said:
This thread is just like an NPD thread, what with the bannings and all... :lol

Just like the good old days of Sales-Age... except with sadness for all... :(

Dang it, this news destroyed an otherwise good day yesterday.

Also, why the heck does IGN pay 120K a year for NPD numbers? They're not allowed to report what's not publicly available anyway.

Ah, who am I kidding. I want to work at IGN now.

a Master Ninja said:
This turn of events hurts nobody more than Evilore. I wonder how much this "death of Sales-Age" will hurt site traffic.

Yeah, it will definitely hurt the site. It's the reason I first signed up. And it's the reason many others here signed up.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dave Long said:
The timing of this change is not good for Sony and Microsoft. It really does make it look like they've got something to hide over the next six months as their new products that will supposedly put them on even footing with Nintendo make their debut.

Also, the combination of various SKUs into one reporting entity likely means we'll now see things like Call of Duty sales on ALL SYSTEMS COMBINED INTO ONE NUMBER, thus guaranteeing that multi-platform releases have a better chance of dominating the Top 5.

This could easily be seen as all the third-parties AND Sony and Microsoft banding together against Nintendo.
If this was the case, in what way would this hurt Nintendo though? Doesnt NPD still provide sales numbers to those who pay for them, so the inverstors can still see how much things sells, both when it comes to individual platform sales and hardware sales numbers?

Dave Long

Banned
Perception is a huge part of public relations. Without legitimate numbers for the public to view, PR statements take on added weight among the public, simply because that's all they've got left.

Think about how many times GAF has blown up a Sony press release about the "PlayStation Family" or called out a Microsoft dodge and feint in their PR because we had the numbers at hand to see where they were distorting the truth. We won't have that option anymore except from shadowy Bunkums that pop up from time to time.

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
FStop7 said:
Really, NPD?

Nielsen needs to get into this and bring some competition.

They've tried. The current situation is basically NPD "moneyhatting" the major retailers so that no one else can break in without a huge initial investment.

test_account

XP-39C²
Dave Long said:
Perception is a huge part of public relations. Without legitimate numbers for the public to view, PR statements take on added weight among the public, simply because that's all they've got left.

Think about how many times GAF has blown up a Sony press release about the "PlayStation Family" or called out a Microsoft dodge and feint in their PR because we had the numbers at hand to see where they were distorting the truth. We won't have that option anymore except from shadowy Bunkums that pop up from time to time.
That is true. But does the sales numbers affect people's buying behaviour in general though? In this case, would people stop buying Nintendo games if the games charts a few places lower due to that mutliplatform titles are counted as 1 entry? Or if a Sony and/or Microsoft PR statement says something like "Move/Kinect is selling really great!", would this affect Nintendo's sales? But i see your point :)

Mindlog

Coincidentally?
Is perception is a huge part of NPD's value?

I'd be interested in a comprehensive article on what MC, CT, NPD etc offer to their subscribers in their respective markets.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
KJ_Wii said:
They've tried. The current situation is basically NPD "moneyhatting" the major retailers so that no one else can break in without a huge initial investment.
Isn't that like, illegal? It's anti-competition practices. Unit sales aren't intellectual property, so putting up financial barriers to compete in gathering and analyzing these numbers is not only unethical, it also creates problems with potential abuse and conflicts of interest since they're the only legitimate way to get ahold of these types of figures.

Information is a product like anything else, so companies can legally charge the market research group money for access to their sales information or for access to their stores systems to track sales.

KJ_Wii

Neo Member
doomed1 said:
Isn't that like, illegal? It's anti-competition practices. Unit sales aren't intellectual property, so putting up financial barriers to compete in gathering and analyzing these numbers is not only unethical, it also creates problems with potential abuse and conflicts of interest since they're the only legitimate way to get ahold of these types of figures.

My memory's a bit hazy on this since it's been awhile, but from what I remember it has to do with NPD owning the POS-tracking system and paying to have it installed at certain retailers. Thus any would-be competitor would have to re-create all of that work, up-front installation costs, and on top of that provide some kind of incentive to get them to want to switch over in the first place.

This only applies to a small selection of retailers but is enough that a competitor would pretty much always have a lower coverage. Makes it nearly impossible to compete with the same business model, would need a model that focuses on something besides "high quality-high price" (probably something actually disruptive).

donny2112

KJ_Wii said:
NPD owning the POS-tracking system

That doesn't make sense, though. Microsoft has stated before that they get weekly reports from their retail partners. The store has to have a way to track its own inventory/sales. Put those two together, and you have a company-owned POS tracking system that NPD pays to get access to. Nintendo has their own system, because they use the individual barcodes to validate individual system sales for warranty purposes. NPD doesn't care about that level of granularity.

Kenka said:

Worst news was November 2006. Pretty sure there was a lot more hand-wringing, then. NPD assuaged it by making their completely bold-faced lie deal of providing a Top 20 with numbers and Top x per system sales. That never materialized, obviously, but it dulled the reaction some.

AdventureRacing said:
This is one of the main complaints i see leveled at sales age posters but i don't think it is true in any way. Most of the regulars in sales age buy and play plenty of games.

In fact, you can consult the Backlogathon thread and see confirmation of this. :lol

FunkyPajamas said:
I'm guessing publishers provide shipped numbers to NPD, and NPD gets sales numbers from major retailers? If that's the case, how come NPD is the only company doing this tracking? Couldn't publishers request sold-through numbers from their retail channels?

Compiling nationwide sales from retail data is quite difficult. At best, without some work developing a system you're going to get lump-sum numbers from the big boys (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Gamestop) with no geographical distribution and no info from stores that buy stock via distribution. NPD, Nielsen, etc. spend a lot of money constructing the systems they use for this sort of reporting, which is a large part of why they're so protective of the data.

SolarPowered said:

I've been happier, to be sure.

doomed1 said:
Isn't that like, illegal?

Nope. A single company using their resources to keep out competitors is generally fine under anti-trust laws. Where you run into trouble is multiple companies conspiring with one another, or a single company using their advantage in one market to gain an unfair advantage in another.

A lot of why NPD has a de facto monopoly has to do with the lack of profit other players see in that space. Due to a lack of an advertising market (like in TV) or a live-performance-and-promotion industry (like in music) there are far, far fewer potential subscribers for game data, and NPD already has all of them as customers. A new competitor would need to offer a dramatically better product for cheap enough that NPD couldn't easily match them in order to win business, essentially, and that'd be hard given the upfront costs of getting into tracking games.

If someone were going to challenge them, Nielsen would be the obvious choice, I think, because they could expand the SoundScan system -- but I'm not sure it's worth their while.

donny2112

charlequin said:
At best, without some work developing a system you're going to get lump-sum numbers from the big boys (Best Buy, Wal-Mart, Gamestop) with no geographical distribution and no info from stores that buy stock via distribution.

And how is this different than what NPD has data for? I don't recall ever seeing geographical distribution of sales from NPD, and NPD doesn't cover the full market, anyways. Therefore, they would be missing direct-sale retailers unless that retailer has a deal with NPD.

Edit:
Oh, and no, they wouldn't get lump-sum data from Wal-Mart. :p

donny2112

duk said:
so what are we going to do tomorrow?? :(

Have an NPD thread with the combined SKU PAL Chart NPD chart and data from PR reports. Would EviLore still be making the thread with NPD no longer providing data?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I just wanna know the Dead Rising 2 sales numbers, dammit. Has Capcom said anything yet?
Same goes for Metroid: Other M>

SlipperySlope said:
Yeah, it will definitely hurt the site. It's the reason I first signed up. And it's the reason many others here signed up.
As with many people, I came to GAF for the Sales Age banter.
But I STAYED for the Off-Topic Forum. :D

onken said:
I don't think you've quite thought this through. Who do think decides what the standard is so that every game works on the console. It would be an association made up of the major manufacturers and bam, there's your monopoly. For example, the United Gaming Forum one day decides to break compatibility with all game discs older than 3 years because it wants to push its new "classic" download service. Every console regardless of maker must now follow the new standard or they forfeit their manufacturering license. It's a horrible, horrible idea.

I kinda disagree. It will never really be a monopoly since there will always be PC gaming. If it starts becoming too restrictive people will gravitate more toward PCs until it starts becoming less draconian.

Also competition is NOT always good for the consumer (for an easy example see HDDVD - Bluray). When there are big economies of scale, consolidation can result in lower prices than a competitive market. I fully believe gaming consoles is one such a market. Even if the console itself is more expensive it wll still be much less than buying all the consoles available right now and you get every game ever made (except PC) and fully optimized for the machine, a la first party efforts, but even by third parties.

I wouldn't fear you example too much, it would definetely lead to a class action law suit. You really can't make a game sold for a certain system not work on said system anymore (though working of future versions of the system is quite another matter).

Also I hope we get leaked numbers eventually, GAF without Sales-Age is not really GAF IMO.

Top Bottom