• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Karma said:
Should get numbers for Reach and other top titles at least.
We should watch very closely to see if any new titles are conspicuously absent from Frazier's analysis.

Rhindle

Opiate said:
No one suggested that the information provided by other sources was absolute and comprehensive (for the record, however, both Billboard and the Box Office as examples, frequently provide direct sales data, particularly at the launch of a major new property on CD or DVD). But what we have now is 1) Nothing vs 2) A weekly ranking of all the titles for DVD/CD/Singles/Box Office/Books/etc.
I think that's what NPD is saying they'll provide though: A weekly ranking, plus selective numbers for major new releases.

apana

sangreal said:
Not because they caught him (he adjusted the numbers and he still posts), but because the practice was banned when NPD started making threats. Then they reached the compromise of releasing the numbers officially or whatever

Well what if somebody posted the numbers on a blog? Surely members of this forum, or the whole forum itself, cant be threatened for simply posting "rumors" we found on other websites.

Opiate

Rhindle said:
I think that's what NPD is saying they'll provide though: A weekly ranking, plus selective numbers for major new releases.

This somehow missed me. If so, I have no qualms.

Fredescu

Rhindle said:
Did you mean monthly, or are they really switching to weekly top tens? Would be cool if they were.

Rhindle

Fredescu said:
Did you mean monthly, or are they really switching to weekly top tens? Would be cool if they were.
Sorry, I meant monthly.

Although NPD used to provide weekly data, back in the day. One of the GAF mods (Jim?) used to post the weekly NPD spreadsheet, and about 5 people would have a little chat and move on.

apana said:
Well what if somebody posted the numbers on a blog? Surely members of this forum, or the whole forum itself, cant be threatened for simply posting "rumors" we found on other websites.
I rather do hope that someone starts leaking real numbers to someone like ioi. Mostly for the comedy factor. Especially given GAF's stance on ioi. That's the double-comedy factor.

Draft said:
So, are people who leak numbers going to be banned?
plagiarize said:
I hope so. We have no way of verifying the numbers. So anyone could CLAIM to have seen the move vs kinect numbers and CLAIM that the one they want to see failing is failing.
Yep. I don't know what GAF can use, maybe a picture of all the unmoved stock still on shelves at a local store. :lol

onken

luxarific said:
Don't get this comment. The whole point of "one console future" is not that manufacturers will only make one type of box, but that every box will be able to play the same games. No more exclusives and no essentially duplicative hardware taking up space on my tv table. MS, Sony, Nintendo and others will still be able to differentiate their consoles with add-on services (Live, PSN) and functions. But all boxes will be able to play all games.

I don't think you've quite thought this through. Who do think decides what the standard is so that every game works on the console. It would be an association made up of the major manufacturers and bam, there's your monopoly. For example, the United Gaming Forum one day decides to break compatibility with all game discs older than 3 years because it wants to push its new "classic" download service. Every console regardless of maker must now follow the new standard or they forfeit their manufacturering license. It's a horrible, horrible idea.

Rocksteady33

Blame! said:
this.

no more console wars.

Is it that hard for some of you people to realize that some people actually enjoy interpreting data and looking at video games from the business side of things? This is terrible news. It's bad enough that PAL numbers have more or less been unknown forever, adding the US to this leaves us completely in the dark on how most games do.

Seriously some people here don't look for monthly NPD threads to simply say "lol ps3 numbers" but actually care and observe market trends.

This seriously sucks.

szaromir

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
Is it that hard for some of you people to realize that some people actually enjoy interpreting data and looking at video games from the business side of things? This is terrible news. It's bad enough that PAL numbers have more or less been unknown forever, adding the US to this leaves us completely in the dark on how most games do.

Seriously some people here don't look for monthly NPD threads to simply say "lol ps3 numbers" but actually care and observe market trends.

This seriously sucks.
Yeah, the quality of discussion in Media Create threads is much higher than in NPD/PAL Charts threads because people have little room to spin data.

Blame! said:
this.

no more console wars.
It's a fallacy to claim removing a credible number source makes things better for the "console warz". . . unless you prefer VG*****

Fanboys will just post anecdotal evidence to suit their agenda by commercials, shelf space, third-party support, "I work in Best Buy", Amazon top 10 etc.

fernoca

Rhindle said:
As far as I know:

Nobody publishes DVD sales numbers. No one publishes CD sales numbers. Or book sales numbers. All you get is sales rankings, plus an occasional award for selling 500K or a million copies of something.

I'm not happy about this news, but the sense of entitlement is misplaced. NPD thought it could benefit its business by publishing some numbers and generating some publicity/goodwill. Apparently, it did not work out for them.

Unless they're lying like the chartz:
US DVDs: Ending week of October 3rd said:
1 (-) Iron Man 2: 2,822,173
2 (-) Get Him to the Greek: 461,707
3 (1) Tinker Bell and the Great Fairy Rescue: 382,122
4 (2) Robin Hood: 316,366
5 (-) Superman/Batman: Apocalypse: 152,397
6 (-) Family Guy: Partial Terms of Endearment: 126,151
7 (3) Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time: 113,451
8 (20) Iron Man: 94,529
9 (6) How I Met Your Mother: Season Five: 87,764
10 (7) Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale: 81,279

Or Country-music sales with numbers (random example :p)

legend166 said:
The only thing we can get from NPD is monthly top 5s, without numbers, and now no hardware data at all.
am sad
sobchak-781317.jpg

no gifs or nuthin' from now on, just anecdotal data from trolls and corp PR.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
ronito said:
Imagine there's no fanboys.
Imagine there's no exclusives.
:lol

As long as there is more then one device that can play a video game, there will be fanboys and exclusives. If all the consoles die out, Mac will magically become viable gaming platform again to keep the balance.

100, 000 scientists say otherwise!

Meanwhile, God facepalms
God: I damn it, why can't you mortals figure out I created Evolution! It is not a hard concept!

webcivilian said:
I really don't think that will be the case. NPD caters to businesses and this shift is clearly positioned towards them.

Oh no, I didn't mean it like that. I just meant that NPD is now dead to gaf, which is true. I really do hope NPD reverses this decision, but I don't think they will. :(

fernoca

Rhindle said:
If you got those from The Numbers, then yes, it's the DVD equivalent of VGChartzz.
Didn't, but reading their source it was.
So, yeah this is what will probably happen across most sites/publishers/press releases. Well, more since they've been doing it already.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
No one should really even care anymore. This generations been decided for well over 2 years and next gen will be a bunch of motion and wiggle/waggle so we all lose no matter who wins.

Sloane

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
You're still going to have your stupid fanboy fights. The only difference now is that there won't be anyone intervening with the truth to clear things up. Enjoy.
The truth has never prevented anything.

Rocksteady33 said:
Is it that hard for some of you people to realize that some people actually enjoy interpreting data and looking at video games from the business side of things?
If by "interpreting date" you mean "OMG XY BOMBA LOL", then yes, it's hard for me to understand. And looking at some sales numbers isn't really "looking at video games from the business side of things". People just think it is and that's why it is so annoying. Everybody considers himself an analyst / executive these days.

AniHawk

Sloane said:
Everybody considers himself an analyst / executive these days.

If I'm not an analyst, then why am I getting paid for doing absolutely nothing.

EDIT: Oh right, the Democrats.

Sloane said:

Look at Media-Create threads. Anyone who goes in there with funny ideas is quickly given reams of data that will either serve to prove or disprove his point, and that's only possible because we get a significant amount of Japanese data weekly, not to mention stuff like the Top 500 yearly. Compare with NPD threads where people have to rely on older press releases to deal with the latest fanboy notions.

So your notion that the 'truth' changes nothing is wrong, since we have two comparable sets to see the difference in.

Sloane said:

If by "interpreting date" you mean "OMG XY BOMBA LOL", then yes, it's hard for me to understand. And looking at some sales numbers isn't really "looking at video games from the business side of things". People just think it is and that's why it is so annoying. Everybody considers himself an analyst / executive these days.

This is why it's call a discussion board, where people discuss things... on NeoGaf it's about video games.

Now instead of the percieved "fanboys" that result from NPD threads, we can have endless bickering about the reliability of PR or hearsay numbers.. YAY!

Having NPD numbers was always a good thing. If you didn't want to hear the "fanboys" you could just go on to the next thread, instead of jumping into the NPD thread.

Meanwhile the people who were legitimately interested in seeing if this industry is growing or shrinking into obscurity will just have to guess now. I always thought it was interesting to see sales trends and how big titles did every month.

C4Lukins

This is going to be bad. We will have to depend on PR statements for sales. PR statements where you have no idea whether they are sold to retail or sold to consumers. PR statements where on the day of NPD a company will claim a million in console sales without specifying region. These will be hard times for fanboys. You will have to dig deep.

Sloane

Banned
antiquegamer said:
This is why it's call a discussion board, where people discuss things... on NeoGaf it's about video games.
I agree. NeoGAF should discuss video games -- instead of sales and business decisions 99% of the board's members know nothing about.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Sloane said:
I agree. NeoGAF should discuss video games -- instead of sales and business decisions 99% of the board's members know nothing about.

Let's try this again: NeoGAF is a video game industry discussion forum.

Top Bottom