• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD will no longer release monthly hardware/software unit sales

[Nintex]

Segata Sanshiro said:
It ain't gonna happen. The owner has bad blood with this forum. And without NPD numbers to correct his cheesy guesses, his numbers are going to off by more than ever now.
I bet he's dancing right now, he can make deals with Gametrailers and whatnot to supply them with bullshit numbers since they don't have the real numbers anymore. ioi will join Pachter and the other douchebags on the Bonus Sales Round coming November!

Turrican3

So, no more hilarious NPD threads? :(

seriously: I don't care THAT much, and if this turns out to let people talk more about, you know, videogames, that's fine :D

MrPliskin said:
Thank god. Sales age spilling over into other threads always annoys me :lol

If you think for a second that less information will lead to a decrease in fanboy nonsense you are completely delusional.

Ranger X

Looks like you guys care too much and make too much noise!

What's happening here means one thing: Publishers do want to control more easily their reputation. And if this need is now there = those sales and our reactions were influencing their sales too much!

elrechazao said:
Didn't gaf have some kind of formal or informal "deal" with npd that "we won't release full numbers leaks if you throw us a bone and provide some minimal numbers we can discuss" Or was that generally the thought behind their releasing of any numbers in the first place? Seems like all bets will be off now, and if not on gaf, they'll at least be out there even more since there is no "release" valve for the desired information anymore.

tldr? Squeeze harder to control the info, more will slip out than you originally were leaking.
Yes, there was a deal. David M. Riley is pretty much a lying fuckwad.

RubberJohnny said:
I'll miss the software stuff, but I don't care about hardware. That stuff was interesting in the first few years when it could go in any direction, but the status quo has been maintained for 4 or 5 years now and is unlikely to change.

Until next-gen, and then anything is possible. Come 2012, you'll want hardware numbers. Hell in a few months, you'll wanna know how the 3ds sold.

I think this is great. A lot of the sales people on neogaf use sales as troll fuel so if this cuts that sort of thing down then it'll make neogaf a better place to actually talk about games. "But will it sell?" Who cares.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yes, there was a deal. David M. Riley is pretty much a lying fuckwad.
Then all bets should be off now...
Reginald P. Linux said:
I think this is great. A lot of the sales people on neogaf use sales as troll fuel so if this cuts that sort of thing down then it'll make neogaf a better place to actually talk about games. "But will it sell?" Who cares.
People who use numbers accurately aren't trolls. The people who now can freely make shit up about numbers will love it, and nobody will be able to point out their bullshit.

Mrbob

Riley you are a liar. Congrats.

Ioi is now the sole source of "numbers" which means more publishers will probably pick up on that data for PR. This will be fun! :lol

Glix

Cheesemeister said:
1. People are too cheap to pony up on a regular basis for such an expensive subscription.
2. GAF is a public forum, and supposedly only the related parties may announce their own numbers publicly.

GAF is a real dev house. Dudebro is going to rock.

Reginald P. Linux said:
You think people will stop caring about what games sell? Or do you think they'll still care and just make shit up to back up their agenda that can't be disproven with objective numbers?

Think hard, this is a $1000 question.

Owzers

Reginald P. Linux said:

Instead of informed number slinging there will be uninformed guesstimates " Wii party outsold Call of Duty Black Ops because it's higher on the Amazon charts" craptastrophes.

Lebron

Pureauthor said:
If you think for a second that less information will lead to a decrease in fanboy nonsense you are completely delusional.
I saw a bunch of 360s, but no PS3's at my local Walmart the other day. Therefore, PS3 is selling better and nobody cares about 360 anymore.

kswiston

velvet_nitemare said:
Until next-gen, and then anything is possible. Come 2012, you'll want hardware numbers. Hell in a few months, you'll wanna know how the 3ds sold.

I can guarantee that Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft will continue to report their own numbers when it makes them look good. We'll get 3DS numbers.

Ah well, end of an era and all that.

Hope they reverse the decision in time for next next gen, so we can have the launch sales data fun all over gain.

Boney

Banned
Reginald P. Linux said:
If you don't care, then don't come into sales threads...

MrPliskin

Banned
Gravijah said:
DOES THIS MEAN NO GT5 NUMBERS?! NOOOOOOOOOOO~~~~~!OEAWRAOFZZZZ

There were no GT5 numbers, though upon it's release, China decided to embrace democracy, North Korea enjoyed great peaceful political reform, and a new series for LOST was announced.

I don't have any evidence to these events being related, however.

elrechazao said:
People who use numbers accurately aren't trolls.

Every NPD thread ever proves this wrong. The second one of those goes up you see a lineup of gifs and snide comments used only to troll. The numbers being accurate doesn't make it not trolling.

Reginald P. Linux said:

There will still be fanboy spergin', always and forever. The only difference is that now we won't have numbers to slap them down with.

Unless leaks pop up.

Every NPD thread ever proves this wrong. The second one of those goes up you see a lineup of gifs and snide comments used only to troll. The numbers being accurate doesn't make it not trolling.

That is not trolling. Trolling is posting the primary intention of annoying others.

Cheech

Why would the hardware companies necessarily care about their numbers getting released?
I can see Sony being embarrassed over the PSP numbers, but their worst PS3 numbers are far behind them.

If anybody, it was the huge publishers. Activision and EA have a lot more to lose. Examples:

Warriors of Rock bombs. Franchise is dead. Nobody buys another Guitar Hero game.

Medal of Honor bombs. Franchise is dead. Sales fall off a cliff and no DLC is sold.

etc...

Publishers do not want you to know when games bomb, because it prematurely ends the sales cycle for them. If you see Medal of Honor on sale for $40, you just might buy it. But if you knew that the game only sold 200k copies across all consoles, ensuring it will be impossible to find full games? Probably not worth the $40. And who the hell is going to buy maps for a dead game?

If you don't know for certain the game bombed or not, it removes a mental obstacle to buying that game. Publishers are not as stupid as they used to be.

That said, it's still a bit far fetched. The most likely explanation is that small fry publishers were foregoing paying the NPD fee and just relying on leaks via forums such as GAF to get their numbers.

Reginald P. Linux said:
Yeah, everyone has pointed out how illogically wrong you are, and trolling doesn't mean what you apparently think it means.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
elrechazao said:
Didn't gaf have some kind of formal or informal "deal" with npd that "we won't release full numbers leaks if you throw us a bone and provide some minimal numbers we can discuss" Or was that generally the thought behind their releasing of any numbers in the first place? Seems like all bets will be off now, and if not on gaf, they'll at least be out there even more since there is no "release" valve for the desired information anymore.

tldr? Squeeze harder to control the info, more will slip out than you originally were leaking.

Governor Tarkin, I should've expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board.

Mindlog

sillymonkey321 said:
Instead of informed number slinging there will be uninformed guesstimates " Wii party outsold Call of Duty Black Ops because it's higher on the Amazon charts" craptastrophes.

That sounds like a money making opportunity. GAF could sell all the data generated by the 'Retail Musing' threads.

Empty

damn. always liked sales-age and just watching the whispers on the wind isn't the same as getting hard data. hope they change their decision.

Boney

Banned
Well publishers will leak some numbers with press release... so I guess we'll just have those numbers with ultra mega spins.

:(

Top Bottom